What Is Marriage?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
is that culpability....?

I don't know what that means.

*Oh that was a cool trick...!
Well, what happened? LOL

There are no reasons. The Mosaic Law has multiple laws regarding marriage and eunuchs and homosexuals. Be fruitful and multiply,
God's first and most repeated commandment. For an Israelite/Jew to not get married, would be like a Christian spitting on a cross.

No vows? No physical conditions?....You are asking about what? Israelite/Jews were required to marry. Other than that what is your question?

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, what happened? LOL

There are no reasons. The Mosaic Law has multiple laws regarding marriage and eunuchs and homosexuals. Be fruitful and multiply,
God's first and most repeated commandment. For an Israelite/Jew to not get married, would be like a Christian spitting on a cross.

No vows? No physical conditions?....You are asking about what? Israelite/Jews were required to marry. Other than that what is your question?

You don't understand the questions?

Was there a vow (such as a Nazirite...or something)...maybe a vow of chastity?

And...maybe there was a physical condition that would make no marriage understandable.

There is this verse:

Isaiah 53
"? 2He grew up before Him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no stately form or majesty to attract us, no beauty that we should desire Him. 3He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, acquainted with grief. Like one from whom men hide their faces, He was despised, and we esteemed Him not."

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't understand the questions? No I did not.

Prophets....Nazirites....Levites....High Priests married. You could say that the Israelites / Jews were homophobic LOL

And...maybe there was a physical condition that would make no marriage understandable.

There is this verse:
Isaiah 53
"? 2He grew up before Him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no stately form or majesty to attract us, no beauty that we should desire Him. 3He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, acquainted with grief. Like one from whom men hide their faces, He was despised, and we esteemed Him not."

Ya I do not think that Christ was any of that.

You don't understand the questions? No I did not.

Prophets....Nazirites....Levites....High Priests married. You could say that the Israelites / Jews were homophobic LOL

There is this verse:
Isaiah 53

Ya I do not think that Christ was any of that.[

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grailhunter said:
No indication they had sex in the Garden.[/Quote\]

I've been saying that there is no evidence in the scriptures that Adam and Eve had sex before they were expelled from the garden of Eden, but they were considered man and wife therefore married before they were expelled from the garden of Eden. Yet even though they hadn't had sex before being expelled from the garden of Eden, yet they were still married in the eyes of God.
The reason I had brought this up is that Ronald Nolette said in post #76 that, "The actual marriage takes place when the couple have sex!" But this doesn't agree with how God view Adam and Eve.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question of whether or not Christ was married. Post #129
Well either way, I probably need to get to the conclusion of this particular topic before someone has a heart attack.
There is no answer to these questions.
The Bible and history indicates that the Jews did talk to Christ.
The Bible does not indicate that Christ was married.
Neither the Bible or history indicates that the Jews were concerned about His marital status.
Neither the Bible or history indicates that He was a homosexual or that the Jews were concerned about Him being a homosexual because if they were, they would have brought up those charges when He was taken to the high priests at the Sanhedrin, instead of bringing up false charges.
So there is no good answer to these questions and the questions expand...John the Baptist and several of the Apostles were not married...James which ended up as the leader of the Apostles...according to Paul did not allow them to marry. So it does not get any better.

The only quirk we have here is that the Essenes appeared to live celibate lives even if they were married...which still violated tradition. The Essenes did not have a good relationship with the Jewish hierarchy. For this reason some assert that John the Baptist and Christ were Essenes....no proof of that. The Bible...in the book of Hebrews...does indicate that Christ was a High Priest of the Order of Melchizedek... Now does this play into this? The Bible does not say. So that is where we are at with it.

Last edited:

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well that is mere speculation on you rpart! Adam and Eve could have had lots of sex or no sex. God didn't record if they did or didn't, so it appears He diecided it was none of our business.

If I say there is no evidence that Adam and Eve had sex before they were expelled from the garden of Eden that's fact, not speculation, because no one can show me any evidence that they had sex while they were in the garden of Eden.
Now you saying that, "Adam and Eve could have had lots of sex or no sex, and that God didn't record if they did or didn't, so it appears He diecided it was none of our business." Now this is speculation because you're saying why God didn't have this written and you have no evidence of that. All I said is there is no evidence that Adam and Eve had sex before they were expelled from the garden of Eden. I didn't speculate why there is no evidence I simply said there is no evidence and I said that because there is nothing written down in scripture that says they had sex until after they were expelled from Eden and that is a fact, there is no evidence. I go by what's written down, not by what somebody says why something isn't written down. Nothing written in the scriptures gives us evidence that Adam and Eve had sex before they were expelled from the garden of Eden.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grailhunter said:
No indication they had sex in the Garden.[/Quote\]

I've been saying that there is no evidence in the scriptures that Adam and Eve had sex before they were expelled from the garden of Eden, but they were considered man and wife therefore married before they were expelled from the garden of Eden. Yet even though they hadn't had sex before being expelled from the garden of Eden, yet they were still married in the eyes of God.
The reason I had brought this up is that Ronald Nolette said in post #76 that, "The actual marriage takes place when the couple have sex!" But this doesn't agree with how God view Adam and Eve.

Well Barney we do not know for sure if Adam and Eve did or did not have sex in the Garden. There would have been no violation if they did. The scripture that says that Adam "knew" his wife....did not say, he knew his wife for the first time. Further the statement made from God is just that...The storyline is vague...we do not know if God said that before they had sex or after. That is if they had sex in the Garden. Either way it is a unique scenario because God is not going to appear at our weddings.

The statement or belief that it is a sin to have sex before you are married as in a wedding, is false. The reason people say that the marriage is consummated by the union is because...this is actually true. The pagans had elaborate wedding ceremonies. Starting as far back as 600 BC. The Persians, the Greeks, and the Romans. The religious connection between weddings and religion developed in Persia as part of Zoroastrianism.

But the Hebrews, Israelites, and Jews did not perform weddings. It was not part of their religion or culture and that is the reason that the words wed or wedding does not appear in their language. Many of the marriages were arranged by their parents. And the marriage was consummated by the union. Keep in mind that "dating" is not allowed until modern times. Now that does not mean that the Jews did not have marriage celebrations...but most Christians would not be comfortable with what went on there.

Christianity did not develop or require weddings until long after the biblical era. Certainly no requirement in the Bible. After the Pagan converts (called Gentiles in the Bible) took the helm of Christianity they modeled their weddings after Roman weddings. That is why we have so many similar Pagan customs in Christian Weddings...The priest, the vows, the ring, the veil, the train, the cake, the couple cutting the cake with a knife, the bells, the balloons with long strings, (not floating balloons) stringed tin cans behind the car. Stuff like that.

At the Council of Carthage in 398 A.D., there was an assumption of a priestly prayer or benediction for the marriage. Early Church Fathers Ignatius and Polycarp both urged a blessing from both parents and clergy over a pending marriage. That is pending, not at the marriage. But at this point the consent of the woman was not required. No wedding ceremony was officially required and marriages continued to be consummated by the union.

After the 9th century consensual marriages became a topic in Christianity but not required. Property and power became an issue with marriages, so the need for witnesses began to be a custom. At first, the old Roman pagan rite was used by Christians, although modified superficially. The first detailed account of a Christian wedding in the West dates from the 9th century. Still there was no requirement or a Christian template for weddings.

After the turn of the millennium the Church began to frown on marriages that did not have the consent of the woman.

The Clandestine Marriage act of 1753 made it illegal to marry privately. This was all about property, power, and legitimate children.

It did not become legal for a woman to divorce her husband until after 1857.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Is Marriage?
OP^

A union Blessed by God.

* For an Earthly mankind terrestrial;
...a joining, but temporary breakable bond between one man, one woman.
* For a born again Earthly mankind terrestrial;
...a joining and unbreakable bond between one mankind and the Lord God.

Glory to God,
Taken

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, this is a little strange point to bring up about Adam and Eve not being married as it really doesn't relate to the OP very well. Adam and Eve for instance didn't have the 10 commandments, no sacrifice ordinances for sin, no law. The bible makes it clear that a man is not to have sexual relations with a woman unless they are married.

1 Corinthians 7:1-4

7 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.

2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

also given that they were the only two people for a long time.......

Reactions: dev553344

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why does everybody think why Jesus didn't find a wife and had a children? I say it's because it would be like incest since we're all of His children so that's why He didn't and that's the reason I gave in a story one time that I was writing about as He comes back in human form in the twenty-first century. That would be interesting if He had had biological children with His powers. Then again, I guess any of those children could have made a sacrifice on the cross for our sins,.. unless if He had married a regular woman they would only really be part God. Sorry if this is considered blasphemous to think about it's just random thoughts lol

April, the reason Jesus did not choose a wife, was that is not why He came. He came for the purpose to die for the sins of mankind and to justify us by His resurrection.

Reactions: April_Rose

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I say there is no evidence that Adam and Eve had sex before they were expelled from the garden of Eden that's fact, not speculation, because no one can show me any evidence that they had sex while they were in the garden of Eden.
Now you saying that, "Adam and Eve could have had lots of sex or no sex, and that God didn't record if they did or didn't, so it appears He diecided it was none of our business." Now this is speculation because you're saying why God didn't have this written and you have no evidence of that. All I said is there is no evidence that Adam and Eve had sex before they were expelled from the garden of Eden. I didn't speculate why there is no evidence I simply said there is no evidence and I said that because there is nothing written down in scripture that says they had sex until after they were expelled from Eden and that is a fact, there is no evidence. I go by what's written down, not by what somebody says why something isn't written down. Nothing written in the scriptures gives us evidence that Adam and Eve had sex before they were expelled from the garden of Eden.

Well Barney it is a Mexican stand off. There is no evidence that they had sex, nor is there evidence that they did n't have sex. IOW there is no evidence either way- just speculation. If it was important for us to know God would have written it down. To draw absolute conclusions is foolishenss on anyones part when God opted to not divulge that info.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well Barney it is a Mexican stand off. There is no evidence that they had sex, nor is there evidence that they did n't have sex. IOW there is no evidence either way- just speculation. If it was important for us to know God would have written it down. To draw absolute conclusions is foolishenss on anyones part when God opted to not divulge that info.

Haven’t read the whole thread maybe someone has already asked about Genesis 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

always hear this is why mothers have labour to deliver children. Was this the beginning of conception and labour and sorrow of bringing forth of the flesh of that which is born of flesh is flesh?

John 3:6-7 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. [7] Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

1 Peter 1:23-24 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. [24] For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tone

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Haven’t read the whole thread maybe someone has already asked about Genesis 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

always hear this is why mothers have labour to deliver children. Was this the beginning of conception and labour and sorrow of bringing forth of the flesh of that which is born of flesh is flesh?

John 3:6-7 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. [7] Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

1 Peter 1:23-24 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. [24] For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:

Sorrow here refers to pain and labor and toil, God told Eve whe would have great pain in birthing and have multiple children.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
April, the reason Jesus did not choose a wife, was that is not why He came. He came for the purpose to die for the sins of mankind and to justify us by His resurrection.

I also think that it would have been really strange if He did marry anyways.

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His Body is all about shalom...wholeness.

Glorious is His body. 1 Thessalonians 4:9 But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.
Consider again The Who can change our vile body of contentions, of murders and strifes, of murmurings, without natural affection, trucebreakers, high minded, full of hate and cursing, bearing false witness ...subduing unto His Glorious body (where every joint supplies for the other, joined together) Ephesians 2:14 For he is our peace(truce, a truce we ought not break), who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us ;

a few thoughts: Revelation 19:7-9 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. [8] And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. [9] And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.

“To her was granted” to be dressed in, clothed in; put on the New, put on Love which is the bond of perfection. But it is the “to her was granted, or to her it was given ...given when, granted when? John 1:12-13 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: [13] Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Philippians 2:7-8 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: [8] And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Hebrews 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

Hebrews 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

Realize that is a lot of quotes but asking for consideration of what really is the vile body spoken of in Philippians 3:21 Who shall change our vile body(of Alienated from God, full of cursing) , that it may be fashioned (return, be reconciled) like unto his glorious body(full of righteousness), according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

So often the entire focus on our crippled state in disease (cancers, deteriorating, plagued, abnormalities, weakness and frailty) that here is the vile body ...and maybe so ...but there is a plague, a disease, a cancer eating and consuming in ‘be careful you don’t consume and devour one another’ the whole list of a reprobate mind which rejects to retain God in the mind, the whole list there on that vile body being hatred of to steal, kill and destroy. The question then is what is the vile body to be changed in He is able to subdue that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body? (1 Corinthians 15:48-49)Romans 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Reactions: Tone

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorrow here refers to pain and labor and toil, God told Eve whe would have great pain in birthing and have multiple children.

how did Eve conceive and bring forth children out from her body before without the travail of labour pangs signaling birth was near?

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Glorious is His body. 1 Thessalonians 4:9 But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.
Consider again The Who can change our vile body of contentions, of murders and strifes, of murmurings, without natural affection, trucebreakers, high minded, full of hate and cursing, bearing false witness ...subduing unto His Glorious body (where every joint supplies for the other, joined together) Ephesians 2:14 For he is our peace(truce, a truce we ought not break), who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us ;

a few thoughts: Revelation 19:7-9 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. [8] And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. [9] And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.

“To her was granted” to be dressed in, clothed in; put on the New, put on Love which is the bond of perfection. But it is the “to her was granted, or to her it was given ...given when, granted when? John 1:12-13 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: [13] Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Philippians 2:7-8 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: [8] And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Hebrews 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

Hebrews 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

Realize that is a lot of quotes but asking for consideration of what really is the vile body spoken of in Philippians 3:21 Who shall change our vile body(of Alienated from God, full of cursing) , that it may be fashioned (return, be reconciled) like unto his glorious body(full of righteousness), according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

So often the entire focus on our crippled state in disease (cancers, deteriorating, plagued, abnormalities, weakness and frailty) that here is the vile body ...and maybe so ...but there is a plague, a disease, a cancer eating and consuming in ‘be careful you don’t consume and devour one another’ the whole list of a reprobate mind which rejects to retain God in the mind, the whole list there on that vile body being hatred of to steal, kill and destroy. The question then is what is the vile body to be changed in He is able to subdue that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body? (1 Corinthians 15:48-49)Romans 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

1 Corinthians 2:16
For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 2:16
For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

John 17:21
That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 17:21
That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

Romans 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

1 Corinthians 15:26-28 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. [27] For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted which did put all things under him. [28] And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well Barney we do not know for sure if Adam and Eve did or did not have sex in the Garden. There would have been no violation if they did. The scripture that says that Adam "knew" his wife....but it did not say, he knew his wife for the first time. Further the statement made from God is just that...The storyline is vague...we do not know if God said that before they had sex or after. That is if they had sex in the Garden. Either way it is a unique scenario because God is not going to appear at our weddings.

The statement or belief that it is a sin to have sex before you are married as in a wedding, is false. The reason people say that the marriage is consummated by the union is because...this is actually true. The pagans had elaborate wedding ceremonies. Starting as far back as 600 BC. The Persians, the Greeks, and the Romans. The religious connection between weddings and religion developed in Persia as part of Zoroastrianism.

But the Hebrews, Israelites, and Jews did not perform weddings. It was not part of their religion or culture and that is the reason that the words wed or wedding does not appear in their language. Many of the marriages were arranged by their parents. And the marriage was consummated by the union. Keep in mind that "dating" is not allowed until modern times. Now that does not mean that the Jews did not have marriage celebrations...but most Christians would not be comfortable with what went on there.

Christianity did not develop or require weddings until long after the biblical era. Certainly no requirement in the Bible. After the Pagan converts (called Gentiles in the Bible) took the helm of Christianity they modeled their weddings after Roman weddings. That is why we have so many similar Pagan customs in Christian Weddings...The priest, the vows, the ring, the veil, the train, the cake, the couple cutting the cake with a knife, the bells, the balloons with long strings, (not floating balloons) stringed tin cans behind the car. Stuff like that.

At the Council of Carthage in 398 A.D., there was an assumption of a priestly prayer or benediction for the marriage. Early Church Fathers Ignatius and Polycarp both urged a blessing from both parents and clergy over a pending marriage. That is pending, not at the marriage. But at this point the consent of the woman was not required. No wedding ceremony was officially required and marriages continued to be consummated by the union.

After the 9th century consensual marriages became a topic in Christianity but not required. Property and power became an issue with marriages, so the need for witnesses began to be a custom. At first, the old Roman pagan rite was used by Christians, although modified superficially. The first detailed account of a Christian wedding in the West dates from the 9th century. Still there was no requirement or a Christian template for weddings.

After the turn of the millennium the Church began to frown on marriages that did not have the consent of the woman.

The Clandestine Marriage act of 1753 made it illegal to marry privately. This was all about property, power, and legitimate children.

It did not become legal for a woman to divorce her husband until after 1857.

No it's sexual immorality. When discussing immoral sexual practices, the Bible mentions not only fornication but also sexual “uncleanness” and “loose conduct.” (2 Corinthians 12:21) Clearly, there are various forms of sexual intimacy that are offensive to God when performed outside marriage, even when there is no intercourse.

The overall message of the Bible regarding sex is that sexual intimacies are restricted to a man and a woman who are married to each other. The Bible also disapproves of “covetous sexual appetite.” (1 Thessalonians 4:5) What does that mean? Consider an example that could apply equally to a man or a woman: A woman might be determined not to have intercourse with her boyfriend. Still, she engages in other forms of sexual intimacy with him. By doing so, they are coveting or lusting after something that does not belong to them. Hence, they are guilty of “covetous sexual appetite.” Such sexual greed is condemned in the Bible.Ephesians 5:3-5.

Kids ‘hook up’ just to see how far they can go with each other and to see how many people they can have sex with.”
Boys speak openly about it. They brag about how they have a girlfriend but still have sex with many other girls.

MANY youths today boast of having casual sex with no emotional strings attached. Some even have acquaintances to whom they can turn for sex without the “complications” of a romance.