What Is Marriage?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now pedophiles that is something that I just don't understand. You've got to be pretty sick and messed up if you want to have illegal sex with a child. I just don't understand why people want to do that instead of going after somebody their own age when children are so innocent. :(

I am convinced that is the fall and God giving people over to a reprobate heart! Rom. 1.

Reactions: April_Rose

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well as I said nowhere in scripture is there evidence that Adam and Eve had sex until after they were expelled from the garden of Eden, yet Eve was said to be Adams wife, so they were married in the eyes of God before they had sex.

Well that is mere speculation on you rpart! Adam and Eve could have had lots of sex or no sex. God didn't record if they did or didn't, so it appears He diecided it was none of our business.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why does everybody think why Jesus didn't find a wife and had a children? I say it's because it would be like incest since we're all of His children so that's why He didn't and that's the reason I gave in a story one time that I was writing about as He comes back in human form in the twenty-first century. That would be interesting if He had had biological children with His powers. Then again, I guess any of those children could have made a sacrifice on the cross for our sins,.. unless if He had married a regular woman they would only really be part God. Sorry if this is considered blasphemous to think about it's just random thoughts lol

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well that is mere speculation on you rpart! Adam and Eve could have had lots of sex or no sex. God didn't record if they did or didn't, so it appears He diecided it was none of our business.

OK, this is a little strange point to bring up about Adam and Eve not being married as it really doesn't relate to the OP very well. Adam and Eve for instance didn't have the 10 commandments, no sacrifice ordinances for sin, no law. The bible makes it clear that a man is not to have sexual relations with a woman unless they are married.

1 Corinthians 7:1-4

7 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.

2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why does everybody think why Jesus didn't find a wife and had a children? I say it's because it would be like incest since we're all of His children so that's why He didn't and that's the reason I gave in a story one time that I was writing about as He comes back in human form in the twenty-first century. That would be interesting if He had had biological children with His powers. Then again, I guess any of those children could have made a sacrifice on the cross for our sins,.. unless if He had married a regular woman they would only really be part God. Sorry if this is considered blasphemous to think about it's just random thoughts lol
Interesting thoughts, indeed, but I think the reason Christ was single is that He had an important mission that required undivided attention, which He could not have rendered with a family. I can't prove this from Scripture, but it stands to reason, especially considering Pauls remarks in 1 Corinthians 7. :)

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

One of the Old Testament prophecies was that the Messiah would see his offspring.
It is more than obvious that Mary Magdalene was the pre-eminent Mary. But what does that mean?
Biblically there is no suggestion that Christ was married.
Jewish high priest and clergy were either married or widowed.
So, scholars are wrestling with the question of why the Jews would have anything to do with Him? And why Christ would think that they would have anything to do with him? If a man should no interest in women by the age of 20, it would be assumed in a Jewish community that he was homosexual. By 30 years of age it would bring disgrace upon his family and Jewish law and tradition would be to remove the evil among them. If he tried to speak about religious matters he would have been stoned. There would have been no conversations except asking him why he was not married. Certainly there would have been no high ranking Jewish persons interacting with him because it would be considered defiling themselves. So, to date there is no answer to this question.

Last edited:

Michael1985

Sep 30, 2020
British Columbia
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Interesting thoughts, indeed, but I think the reason Christ was single is that He had an important mission that required undivided attention, which He could not have rendered with a family. I can't prove this from Scripture, but it stands to reason, especially considering Pauls remarks in 1 Corinthians 7. :)

While the notion of Him being married and having a family is in no way theologically offensive to me, I tend to agree with you not only that He wasn't, and that the reason was having a different calling. This should not be taken to mean that being unmarried is a superior way of life for all believers to emulate.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While the notion of Him being married and having a family is in no way theologically offensive to me, I tend to agree with you not only that He wasn't, and that the reason was having a different calling. This should not be taken to mean that being unmarried is a superior way of life for all believers to emulate.

Again, the Bible does not indicate that Christ was married.
The question is why the Jews tolerated Him not being married?
He did have a different calling and it may have been His decision not to marry, but that has nothing to do with the Jewish perspective.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, the Bible does not indicate that Christ was married.
The question is why the Jews tolerated Him not being married?
He did have a different calling and it may have been His decision not to marry, but that has nothing to do with the Jewish perspective.

What are some reasonable reasons for a 1st century Jew not to be married?

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is also proof that you don't have to be married to be saved,.. but it would sort of just be weird if He was married and had children because wouldn't that be like marrying His own child?

One of the Old Testament prophecies was that the Messiah would see his offspring.
It is more than obvious that Mary Magdalene was the pre-eminent Mary. But what does that mean?
Biblically there is no suggestion that Christ was married.

Exactly. That's why I don't like the Da Vinci Code as it's nothing but a huge fraud and conspiracy theory. Not sure how people have come to the conclusion that Mary Magdalene had a thing for Christ when the Bible doesn't support this.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is also proof that you don't have to be married to be saved,.. but it would sort of just be weird if He was married and had children because wouldn't that be like marrying His own child?

Exactly. That's why I don't like the Da Vinci Code as it's nothing but a huge fraud and conspiracy theory. Not sure how people have come to the conclusion that Mary Magdalene had a thing for Christ when the Bible doesn't support this.

Of course the Da Vinci Code was a movie/book. And it brings up extra-biblical books and historical events. There are two different point of views that are brought up in the movie and sometimes watchers or readers get them mixed up. But there are a lot of people...that have researched this and have written several books on this and believe that Christ was married and had children through Mary. And from there it gets very complicated.

The good thing is that....if you keep to the fundamentalist's approach to Christian understand...if it is not in the Bible you do not believe it. So you do not have to worry about it.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are some reasonable reasons for a 1st century Jew not to be married?

There are no reasons. The Mosaic Law has multiple laws regarding marriage and eunuchs and homosexuals. Be fruitful and multiply,
God's first and most repeated commandment. For an Israelite/Jew to not get married, would be like a Christian spitting on a cross.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course the Da Vinci Code was a movie/book. And it brings up extra-biblical books and historical events. There are two different point of views that are brought up in the movie and sometimes watchers or readers get them mixed up. But there are a lot of people...that have researched this and have written several books on this and believe that Christ was married and had children through Mary. And from there it gets very complicated.

The good thing is that....if you keep to the fundamentalist's approach to Christian understand...if it is not in the Bible you do not believe it. So you do not have to worry about it.

I just decided to make a whole different topic about this that I'm going to tag you in.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think Adam and Eve got a divorce.

Well, what happened?
There are no reasons. The Mosaic Law has multiple laws regarding marriage and eunuchs and homosexuals. Be fruitful and multiply,
God's first and most repeated commandment. For an Israelite/Jew to not get married, would be like a Christian spitting on a cross.

No vows? No physical conditions?

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe the thing to having a lasting marriage is the realization that they were never separate.