What is meant by “The Little Flock”?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The term “little flock” is found in Luke 12:32. In this connection we should keep in mind that the time—in the Millennial Age—has not yet come for the world’s conversion. If God has been trying to convert the world during the Gospel Age and previously, He has signally failed; for the heathen population has been increasing much more rapidly than the number of even the professed Christians, most of whom are not real Christians, but Christians in name only; and only a small fraction of earth’s billions of people have ever intelligently heard of the name of Jesus, the only name whereby they must be saved (Acts 4:12; 16:31; Rom. 10:14)

Rather, during the Gospel Age, since Christ’s First Advent, God has been doing a work of election, or selection; He has been visiting the Gentiles, “to take out of them a people for his name” (Acts 15:14), Christ’s Bride (2 Cor. 11:2; Rev. 21:2; 22:17), the Lamb’s Wife (Rev. 19:7), the 144,000 (Rev. 7:4; 14:1-4), His Body members (1 Cor. 12:27; Eph. 1:23; 4:12), sharers with Him in His sacrificial cup (Matt. 20:22, 23; 2 Tim. 2:12), partakers of His Divine nature in the resurrection (2 Pet. 1:4; 1 John 3:2), “called, and chosen, and faithful” (Rev. 17:14), and joint-heirs with Christ in His soon-coming Kingdom on earth (Rom. 8:17; Rev. 5:9, 10; 20:4, 6). The Lord calls these a “little flock” (Luke 12:32) hence we designate them likewise.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The term “little flock” is found in Luke 12:32. In this connection we should keep in mind that the time—in the Millennial Age—has not yet come for the world’s conversion. If God has been trying to convert the world during the Gospel Age and previously, He has signally failed; for the heathen population has been increasing much more rapidly than the number of even the professed Christians, most of whom are not real Christians, but Christians in name only; and only a small fraction of earth’s billions of people have ever intelligently heard of the name of Jesus, the only name whereby they must be saved (Acts 4:12; 16:31; Rom. 10:14)

Rather, during the Gospel Age, since Christ’s First Advent, God has been doing a work of election, or selection; He has been visiting the Gentiles, “to take out of them a people for his name” (Acts 15:14), Christ’s Bride (2 Cor. 11:2; Rev. 21:2; 22:17), the Lamb’s Wife (Rev. 19:7), the 144,000 (Rev. 7:4; 14:1-4), His Body members (1 Cor. 12:27; Eph. 1:23; 4:12), sharers with Him in His sacrificial cup (Matt. 20:22, 23; 2 Tim. 2:12), partakers of His Divine nature in the resurrection (2 Pet. 1:4; 1 John 3:2), “called, and chosen, and faithful” (Rev. 17:14), and joint-heirs with Christ in His soon-coming Kingdom on earth (Rom. 8:17; Rev. 5:9, 10; 20:4, 6). The Lord calls these a “little flock” (Luke 12:32) hence we designate them likewise.

You hit the nail on the head sir, the 144k anointed ones make up the little flock. The Israel of God Gal 6:16; the bride of Christ Rev 19:7,8; the bride being New Jerusalem Rev 21:2

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am nobody sir, truth is truth, and no matter who approves, one must teach truth, especially when speaking about a topic from God.
To teach truth, must one know what truth is?

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

But then among those who recognize Jesus as the Truth, how well do they know Him?

Can a person teach the Truth correctly according to God without also loving the Truth?

Reactions: Cassandra

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To teach truth, must one know what truth is?

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

But then among those who recognize Jesus as the Truth, how well do they know Him?

Can a person teach the Truth correctly according to God without also loving the Truth?

Again, Jesus said God's word is truth. A person speaks truth if he is speaking in accord with the Bible Amad. Jesus always spoke truth, he never lied, therefore as you correctly stated he is referred to as truth as well. I will state quite frankly, no Christian states absolute truth, not one. I openly state to those whom I teach, what I say may be truth or lies, you have to determine for yourself what is truth, as you will answer for it. I have said that to every student sir. I doubt this is the first time I have posted it here as well.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, Jesus said God's word is truth. A person speaks truth if he is speaking in accord with the Bible Amad. Jesus always spoke truth, he never lied, therefore as you correctly stated he is referred to as truth as well. I will state quite frankly, no Christian states absolute truth, not one. I openly state to those whom I teach, what I say may be truth or lies, you have to determine for yourself what is truth, as you will answer for it. I have said that to every student sir. I doubt this is the first time I have posted it here as well.
Indeed, so it is...Have I not also lied since first I believed? Will I tell any more lies before I have completed my course?

"God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written... "Rom 3:4

Sincere in our hearts before God we may always speak what we believe about what we have read or heard in the scriptures or from men, but when we miss it... even in our ignorance, it is still a lie.

As we grow in and toward God... that is if we are working at it and allowing the Holy Spirit to work in us, the lies are being eliminated. That should be you and me and all of the others here who sincerely love God and therefore His Word. Who has then already overcome all of the obstacles between him and God?

So then, what of this?

And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man." Luke 2:52

From where did Jesus start that he needed to increase?

We see how he traveled and where he ended:

"And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man." Luke 2:52

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16:33

"I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do." John 17:4

"And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world..." John 17:11

"When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." John 19:30

"So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep." John 21:15-17

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it." John 14:12-14

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God." Rev 2:7

Who among us is already or will be an overcomer like Jesus? How much like him are we now? If we are not, why not?

Help us dear Lord!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What is meant by “The Little Flock”?
not many sheep.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed, so it is...Have I not also lied since first I believed? Will I tell any more lies before I have completed my course?

"God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written... "Rom 3:4

Sincere in our hearts before God we may always speak what we believe about what we have read or heard in the scriptures or from men, but when we miss it... even in our ignorance, it is still a lie.

As we grow in and toward God... that is if we are working at it and allowing the Holy Spirit to work in us, the lies are being eliminated. That should be you and me and all of the others here who sincerely love God and therefore His Word. Who has then already overcome all of the obstacles between him and God?

So then, what of this?

And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man." Luke 2:52

From where did Jesus start that he needed to increase?

We see how he traveled and where he ended:

"And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man." Luke 2:52

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16:33

"I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do." John 17:4

"And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world..." John 17:11

"When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." John 19:30

"So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep." John 21:15-17

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it." John 14:12-14

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God." Rev 2:7

Who among us is already or will be an overcomer like Jesus? How much like him are we now? If we are not, why not?

Help us dear Lord!

When in doubt, it is best to follow the faithful slave's interpretation Amad, after all they are the ones assigned to do the feeding and shepherding of Jesus' sheep. If you have a different interpretation, then it is best to obey theirs, unless you are absolutely sure, as whatever you choose, you are accountable.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When in doubt, it is best to follow the faithful slave's interpretation Amad, after all they are the ones assigned to do the feeding and shepherding of Jesus' sheep. If you have a different interpretation, then it is best to obey theirs, unless you are absolutely sure, as whatever you choose, you are accountable.
Your words bring back my own thoughts when I first began to read the Bible but lacked so much in understanding. I determined in my own heart then that when I did not know the answer, I would try to follow the pastor under which I had subjected myself. Doing that, how could I go wrong? How indeed!

Fortunately, I also kept communicating with God and with another brother in the Lord who had lived for God for many years.

Early on... my wife, who I was to learn many times heard God's will for us before I did, knew we needed to "come out of her"... to leave that church and that man in particular. She knew even less of the Bible, itself, than I did, but she was hearing from God. Eventually, God let me know that she was right, and we left that place. God worked first through her many times in years of marriage and of serving God.

Babies in Christ initially hear very little, but if they are sincerely striving to do better before man and before God, He will keep His hand on them. God certainly has kept His hand on us when there was so much that we did not know so that our foolishness did not destroy the 'Good' that we had found.

We do know more now, but at times it seems that we still know so little. Again, fortunately, God knows what we do not and will help us if we continue to trust in Him first instead of ourselves or any man...

Reactions: Ziggy and Cassandra

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your words bring back my own thoughts when I first began to read the Bible but lacked so much in understanding. I determined in my own heart then that when I did not know the answer, I would try to follow the pastor under which I had subjected myself. Doing that, how could I go wrong? How indeed!

Fortunately, I also kept communicating with God and with another brother in the Lord who had lived for God for many years.

Early on... my wife, who I was to learn many times heard God's will for us before I did, knew we needed to "come out of her"... to leave that church and that man in particular. She knew even less of the Bible, itself, than I did, but she was hearing from God. Eventually, God let me know that she was right, and we left that place. God worked first through her many times in years of marriage and of serving God.

Babies in Christ initially hear very little, but if they are sincerely striving to do better before man and before God, He will keep His hand on them. God certainly has kept His hand on us when there was so much that we did not know so that our foolishness did not destroy the 'Good' that we had found.

We do know more now, but at times it seems that we still know so little. Again, fortunately, God knows what we do not and will help us if we continue to trust in Him first instead of ourselves or any man...

Your words bring back my own thoughts when I first began to read the Bible but lacked so much in understanding. I determined in my own heart then that when I did not know the answer, I would try to follow the pastor under which I had subjected myself. Doing that, how could I go wrong?
Actually Amad, you were not in error on that. If you do not understand something, you would not take action against the leaders of your faith sir, as you appropriately did, you did research, formed an opinion through evidence gathered, then made a stand.

As far as the rest, it is very true that Christians are individuals, and that is fine as long as they conduct themselves within the guidelines of God's law, however God does not have armies of one. He does not communicate and form faiths with others. He has one group of people which belong to Him, and He identifies the faith beyond any doubt, and we are given free will to choose life or death, however if we want life we must agree to His terms sir. We are personally responsible to recognize God's Biblically identified people and go with them. Zech 8:23

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your words bring back my own thoughts when I first began to read the Bible but lacked so much in understanding. I determined in my own heart then that when I did not know the answer, I would try to follow the pastor under which I had subjected myself. Doing that, how could I go wrong?
Actually Amad, you were not in error on that. If you do not understand something, you would not take action against the leaders of your faith sir, as you appropriately did, you did research, formed an opinion through evidence gathered, then made a stand.
Yes, this is the primary reason we remained in the assembly for the 5 years we were there. We were unhappy and my wife knew we needed to leave but left the final decision up to me. I was reading my Bible, studying and talking with knowledgeable follower of Christ... even as more and more events within that assembly brought to agree absolutely with my wife. We left!

As far as the rest, it is very true that Christians are individuals, and that is fine as long as they conduct themselves within the guidelines of God's law, however God does not have armies of one. He does not communicate and form faiths with others. He has one group of people which belong to Him, and He identifies the faith beyond any doubt, and we are given free will to choose life or death, however if we want life we must agree to His terms sir. We are personally responsible to recognize God's Biblically identified people and go with them. Zech 8:23
Yes, we must always agree with God when we are understanding what He is saying to us. We need to continue to search and to listen to stay on or to get on the right track with Him.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, this is the primary reason we remained in the assembly for the 5 years we were there. We were unhappy and my wife knew we needed to leave but left the final decision up to me. I was reading my Bible, studying and talking with knowledgeable follower of Christ... even as more and more events within that assembly brought to agree absolutely with my wife. We left!

Yes, we must always agree with God when we are understanding what He is saying to us. We need to continue to search and to listen to stay on or to get on the right track with Him.

So how does God identify the path sir, are you able to scripturally identify His people Amad?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how does God identify the path sir, are you able to scripturally identify His people Amad?
As a physical group or organization, while I have seen differences, I do not believe the ideal one into which every believer fits exists. Some believers, however, do need to be in certain places because they need to do God's work there or to be worked upon there so as to be molded into the part of the Body of Christ they need to be. Not every person is to be the same part of that Body. Consider I Corinthians chapter 12 in particular.

For me, I am now, I believe, where I need to be, but I am in transition. Next Friday, 4-1-2022, I will be physically moving, I suspect for the last time within the time allotted to me considering my age and diminishing physical and mental abilities. That move is of God.

God moved us to our present location 10 years ago and used us in connection with our old pastor [now almost 97] and his wife who died a few months after our move here. She was a special work for my wife. Our pastor, who lives on, has primarily been mine. The end of some of that, approaches.

Now we return to the city where we had lived for 25 years. God has a purpose for us returning to that place... but I unable to state it. I simply see the next step... not all of the subsequent steps. In the distance, but now closer, I see the Light, which is, of course, our ultimate goal.

Consider Paul's words toward his end:

"For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing." II Tim 4:6-8

I am striving to serve and surrender so that when my end arrives, I might have similar words applicable to me.

Surrendering continuously and admitting our inability to alone do the necessary things for and in God must be where it is at... Who can be there alone?

What must one do to finally hear words like these...?

"His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." Matt 25:21

Reactions: Ziggy

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a physical group or organization, while I have seen differences, I do not believe the ideal one into which every believer fits exists. Some believers, however, do need to be in certain places because they need to do God's work there or to be worked upon there so as to be molded into the part of the Body of Christ they need to be. Not every person is to be the same part of that Body. Consider I Corinthians chapter 12 in particular.

For me, I am now, I believe, where I need to be, but I am in transition. Next Friday, 4-1-2022, I will be physically moving, I suspect for the last time within the time allotted to me considering my age and diminishing physical and mental abilities. That move is of God.

God moved us to our present location 10 years ago and used us in connection with our old pastor [now almost 97] and his wife who died a few months after our move here. She was a special work for my wife. Our pastor, who lives on, has primarily been mine. The end of some of that, approaches.

Now we return to the city where we had lived for 25 years. God has a purpose for us returning to that place... but I unable to state it. I simply see the next step... not all of the subsequent steps. In the distance, but now closer, I see the Light, which is, of course, our ultimate goal.

Consider Paul's words toward his end:

"For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing." II Tim 4:6-8

I am striving to serve and surrender so that when my end arrives, I might have similar words applicable to me.

Surrendering continuously and admitting our inability to alone do the necessary things for and in God must be where it is at... Who can be there alone?

What must one do to finally hear words like these...?

"His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." Matt 25:21

God only has one group of worshippers sir, who speak in unity 1 Cor 1:10. The multiple faiths came from discord and apostatizing and forming their own faith Acts 20:29,30. The Bible identifies God's people beyond any doubt, you simply choose to go with the people of God or not Zech 8:23

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God only has one group of worshippers sir, who speak in unity 1 Cor 1:10. The multiple faiths came from discord and apostatizing and forming their own faith Acts 20:29,30. The Bible identifies God's people beyond any doubt, you simply choose to go with the people of God or not Zech 8:23
I am not disagreeing with you, but God has work for each part of the Body of Christ. Not all of their tasks are the same even as with the physical parts of the human body.

As to the differences in which there really is a conflict in need of resolution is God not able to handle that? What man can properly direct every other man? Jesus alone! For this reason, he is the Head of the Body, and each member must be subject to him!

God did provide for us as per...

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;" Eph 4:11-14

All of those God has provided, but let us look always to God for direction even from those provided helps for some will mislead us...

"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." Matt 7:15-21

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not disagreeing with you, but God has work for each part of the Body of Christ. Not all of their tasks are the same even as with the physical parts of the human body.

As to the differences in which there really is a conflict in need of resolution is God not able to handle that? What man can properly direct every other man? Jesus alone! For this reason, he is the Head of the Body, and each member must be subject to him!

God did provide for us as per...

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;" Eph 4:11-14

All of those God has provided, but let us look always to God for direction even from those provided helps for some will mislead us...

"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." Matt 7:15-21

Every Scripture you gave has relevance Amad. So in the Christian congregation today, how are those who are apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; used today in fulfilling the assignment? I think first we need to examine what the assignment is. What assignment have Christians been given?

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every Scripture you gave has relevance Amad. So in the Christian congregation today, how are those who are apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; used today in fulfilling the assignment? I think first we need to examine what the assignment is. What assignment have Christians been given?
Perhaps you speak generally of Christians... and certainly they/we have a general work to do, but there is the individual who is not specifically included in those five from Eph 4:11 as well.

Each of us needs to come to the place as His sheep of always hearing His voice and following His lead. Where is God wanting me to go. That is where I want to go and where I must go. We cannot lump all of the parts of the Body of Christ together helter-skelter. Each part does have a proper place and a proper function.

"And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him" Luke 9:35