What is the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You stated this, and I said the following to you in answer to that:

Although the initial topic was what is the Bible, conversations evolve so the reply has to be in line with the question. Give glory to God in all things while exactly truth, and could be stated in every reply, does not necessarily address what one was speaking about. A point blank answer to your question would be no one. But everyone knew that, so I proceeded onward with the assigned faithful slave, who has been appointed to feed Jesus' sheep until his return. If you cannot believe them, who can you believe as Jesus has given them the highest authority on earth.
When should one stop giving God the glory and expressing it... even in a conversation with another believer? I am sorry if my response offended you in any meaningful way. I am really not here to argue or change people's minds or hearts although, of course, God might use me or you to do just that. Let us always strive to follow Him, wherever He leads us.

Reactions: Jim B

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is very interesting how Jesus phrased the passage about the faithful slave, he said Who really is the faithful and discreet slave? But he goes on to reveal information on how to identify them. They are identifiable, but most have no idea what that passage is speaking about.

Do you believe we are living near the end of the last days Jesus foretold to his disciples in Mat 24?
I believe that I am living near the end of my own days, the days that is, as men count days, which God has allotted to me. I believe that I should strive to follow His lead in everything that I do, which relates to me and my walk as well as in everything that I do, which relates to the walk of others who might be influenced by me.

If you do, then you realize the faithful slave is here. They are to feed Jesus' sheep, those who know Jesus would realize that he placed spiritual food above physical food, Mat 4:4. In line with the prophecy of the last days in Isa 2:2,3 those who come to God's house will be fed spiritually so they can walk in His paths, so someone is feeding Jesus' sheep spiritually, and the sheep are walking in God's ways. Although difficult as Jesus knew and phrased it the way he did, it is not impossible to identify the slave, and when you do, you wonder why you see it so easily, but didn't before.

Which reminds me of a simple riddle Amad, you might enjoy this sir, a man at a carnival wants to ride the ferris wheel, the price is 40 cents, he hands the ticket booth a dollar and the booth gives him 2 tickets and 20 cents change. How did the cashier know he wanted 2 tickets since he did not say?

This is extremely simple, but if you are anything like me, I knew it was impossible, but of course they want to sell as many tickets as they can, it is their livelihood after all, that was what went through my pea sized brain.
Your riddle, in the carnal, is simple enough, but how does it relate to our conversation? I am speaking honestly, quite naive about many things. Leaning on God is an absolute necessity for me [for everyone?], but He has not answered every question that I have put to Him. Should I expect Him to...?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only in the sense that God gave us everything is this true. Getting down to the next level of detail, it was a political process among formerly persecuted 4th century men who gave us the Bible. I'm reminded of the lyrics to a song, 'what to leave in? what to leave out?' It is a dilemma.

The Bible is merely a collection of books. And to use the term 'book' is more like a booklet by modern standards. Still, this collection has been turned into an idol by some, calling it 'the word of God.' However, if one studies the apographa, one will find these books too appeal to God's word. So, we get into esoteric criteria, like truly the word of god.

In the final analysis, the Bible is merely parchment. All religions have a holy book. What separates us from followers of other religions is that we have a living god. The collection of books, in whatever translation, merely point our mind to that awesome reality.
The Bible is not merely anything. It is considered by believers to be the inspired words of God. The Bible was in existence long before the 4th Century CE, and has endured for many thousands of years.

And the Bible is not "merely parchment". Parchment is the medium upon which the Bible's contents were once written, and it has been surpassed by both paper and digital media.

"The Bible is a collection of religious texts or scriptures that are held to be sacred in Christianity, Judaism, Samaritanism, and many other religions. The Bible is an anthology – a compilation of texts of a variety of forms – originally written in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek." wikipedia

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only in the sense that God gave us everything is this true. Getting down to the next level of detail, it was a political process among formerly persecuted 4th century men who gave us the Bible. I'm reminded of the lyrics to a song, 'what to leave in? what to leave out?' It is a dilemma.
Is it a dilemma? Included in what is written in the Bible, I see those things at times working in, of or by the Left hand of God as well as those at times working in, of, or by the Right hand of God. By the Holy Spirit we may come to the know the difference. Who is leading us? Who are we following? Are we on the Left hand or on the Right hand of God?
The Bible is merely a collection of books. And to use the term 'book' is more like a booklet by modern standards. Still, this collection has been turned into an idol by some, calling it 'the word of God.' However, if one studies the apographa, one will find these books too appeal to God's word. So, we get into esoteric criteria, like truly the word of god.
The biblical words, written or spoken are, as I have understood it, the Word of God when quickened by the Holy Spirit in a person reading or speaking them. In the following verses, the tempter quoted the written Bible, but spoken by him, they were NOT the Word of God:

Mt 4:6And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. [from Psalm 91:11]
Mt 4:7Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. [from Deut 6:16]

When Jesus spoke, however, it most certainly was the Word of God. The Left hand of God would not work against Jesus. Can it work against us?
In the final analysis, the Bible is merely parchment. All religions have a holy book. What separates us from followers of other religions is that we have a living god. The collection of books, in whatever translation, merely point our mind to that awesome reality.
2co 3:5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
2co 3:6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Included in what is written in the Bible, I see those things at times working in, of or by the Left hand of God as well as those at times working in, of, or by the Right hand of God.

Can you give an example of reference to the Left hand of God?

Are we on the Left hand or on the Right hand of God?
What difference does it make?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He said God. I Believe you are quoting his son.

Also, I got the sense @amadeus was talking about sitting shoulder to shoulder, not facing God.
It’s not all that unusual that someone who believes Jesus is God would say that…am I missing something?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, what is usual is not what was asked.

Didn't you post a vid in another thread about worrying about yourself? My question was directed at Amadeus.
I often jump into conversations anyway. Open forum and all. Yes, EVEN when not specifically questioned.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I often jump into conversations anyway. Open forum and all. Yes, EVEN when not specifically questioned.
Understood. It's just that in this case, the OP is asking what is the Bible and Amadeus, notorious for throwing the curve balls, did with his <preposition> LH or RH of God. So, I was hoping he'd connect the dots.

I think the best characteristic of the Bible is that Hebrews 4:12, the word of God is alive, shows itself to be true to those who study it. Doubtful any other book has such a response. Thoughts?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you give an example of reference to the Left hand of God?
I will not try to connect all of the dots for you. I believe that God has connected some of them for me, but it is most definitely God that gives us any really meaningful increase. At times, He may use one of us to do it.

Consider: If everyone works for God, who among those working for Him are also working with God?

Who puts into effect the curses of God and who, on the other hand, accomplishes the blessings?

De 28:1And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the LORD thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth:
De 28:2And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God.
De 28:3Blessed shalt thou be in...

De 28:15But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:
De 28:16Cursed shalt thou be in...
What difference does it make?

De 11:26Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse;

De 11:27A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day:
De 11:28And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day, to go after other gods, which ye have not known.

So does not Jesus also speak of blessings and curses?

Mt 25:33And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Mt 25:34Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

Mt 25:41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He said God. I Believe you are quoting his son.

Also, I got the sense @amadeus was talking about sitting shoulder to shoulder, not facing God.
Generally speaking, the work that men do is done by their hands. What are the hands of God with regard to His work with or for or against people? Could not people be those hands?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God made a statement at Dan 12:4 Wrangler, and even though Daniel the penman couldn't understand it, God told him in the last days it would be understood. The apostasy was well established in the forth century, but ended at the start of these last days when God started gathering His people together again Isa 2:2,3. I think the 66 books that are the established Bible today, are what He wants us to have sir. Don't you?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When should one stop giving God the glory and expressing it... even in a conversation with another believer? I am sorry if my response offended you in any meaningful way. I am really not here to argue or change people's minds or hearts although, of course, God might use me or you to do just that. Let us always strive to follow Him, wherever He leads us.
When one is sinning for sure. I have heard some amazing conversations from some who claim to be Christian as I am sure you have sir. I have not been offended, don't understand what might have led you to believe that, but don't trouble yourself over it, I didn't ever take any of our conversations as offensive.

It is God who changes hearts Amad, as dear brother Paul stated:
(1 Corinthians 3:6-9) . . .I planted, A·polʹlos watered, but God kept making it grow, 7 so that neither is the one who plants anything nor is the one who waters, but God who makes it grow. 8 Now the one who plants and the one who waters are one, but each person will receive his own reward according to his own work. 9 For we are God’s fellow workers. You are God’s field under cultivation, God’s building.

Reactions: amadeus

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the 66 books that are the established Bible today, are what He wants us to have sir. Don't you?
No. I do not think God wants idolatry, us accepting the map rather than take the territory. I don't think God wants us to own parchment and hold it dear. I believe he wants a proper relationship with us. Some say this is through Jesus and through Jesus only. Yet, others claim it is also through the parchment.

As for you, Daniel, keep these visions and their meaning a secret. Write down what you have seen and heard, then seal the scroll until the time of the end. Many will wander here and there, and knowledge will expand.
Daniel 12:4 (VOICE)

Reactions: amadeus

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
rather odd . the true apostles reminded the churches to stick to sound biblical doctrine
todays teach us to stick to emotions and feelings .
STAY in the bible and be in prayer always .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will not try to connect all of the dots for you. I believe that God has connected some of them for me, but it is most definitely God that gives us any really meaningful increase. At times, He may use one of us to do it.

Consider: If everyone works for God, who among those working for Him are also working with God?

Who puts into effect the curses of God and who, on the other hand, accomplishes the blessings?

De 28:1And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the LORD thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth:
De 28:2And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God.
De 28:3Blessed shalt thou be in...

De 28:15But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:
De 28:16Cursed shalt thou be in...

De 11:26Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse;

De 11:27A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day:
De 11:28And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day, to go after other gods, which ye have not known.

So does not Jesus also speak of blessings and curses?

Mt 25:33And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Mt 25:34Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

Mt 25:41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels
You don't think that a person can work for someone and work with them? Do you think that employees work against their employers? (Not for long!)

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
rather odd . the true apostles reminded the churches to stick to sound biblical doctrine
todays teach us to stick to emotions and feelings .
STAY in the bible and be in prayer always .
This is a false dichotomy. Are we supposed to be emotionless robots? Jesus said, repeating the Old Testament commands, "He said to him, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with 1) all your heart and with 2) all your soul and 3) with all your mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’". (Matthew 22:37-39) And 1 John 4:8 says, "Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love."

Clearly, emotions and feelings are as valid, if not more so, than our minds.