What is the enlightenment?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it compatible with Christian doctrine?
Doesn't it depend on whether one is speaking about the enlightenment of men by the means available to carnal men or about the Enlightenment, which comes from the Light, which is Jesus?

Men in their classrooms [mostly secular] used to teach about both [back when I was in college (BA in 1971)]. Certainly, the latter one, coming from Jesus, should be compatible with what Christian believers believe.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't it depend on whether one is speaking about the enlightenment of men by the means available to carnal men or about the Enlightenment, which comes from the Light, which is Jesus?

Men in their classrooms [mostly secular] used to teach about both [back when I was in college (BA in 1971)]. Certainly, the latter one, coming from Jesus, should be compatible with what Christian believers believe.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Men in their classrooms [mostly secular] used to teach about both [back when I was in college (BA in 1971)]. Certainly, the latter one, coming from Jesus, should be compatible with what Christian believers believe. How well do believers see?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

the atheists enlightenment of reason!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the atheists enlightenment of reason!
For the short haul, that is during the time allotted to each carnal man, I believe, that God allows them men to run their own races, which begin and end with death.

It would make a difference, I believe, to a believer [one who is reaching for real Life], who is connected in some way with those worldly ways. Who is or who is not?

Jesus had disconnected completely before he went to the cross, but are all of us today on planet Earth, bearing the Christian label similarly disconnected? Are we striving to be so disconnected?

"And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world,.." John 17:11

How many of us are moving, or being moved, toward Him?
"Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.
And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure." I John 3:2-3

Reactions: BarneyFife

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is modern atheism reason without faith, it is the greatest darkness of all! The greatest dark age ever, leading to barbarism of the nazi’s and communists who killed hundreds of millions

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Free men from independent from God is hell on earth!

Certain things are owed by man to God for being created, redeemed, and sanctified!

there is no happiness with God and the moral law! True Christian religion is the only felicity of men!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Free men from independent from God is hell on earth!
Yes. Where is there a worse hell?
Certain things are owed by man to God for being created, redeemed, and sanctified!
Certain things only?

"But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able to offer so willingly after this sort? for all things come of thee, and of thine own have we given thee." I Chron 29:14

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. Where is there a worse hell?

Certain things only?

"But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able to offer so willingly after this sort? for all things come of thee, and of thine own have we given thee." I Chron 29:14

worship
Obedience
Etc.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith alone is a condemned heresy anyway!

mk 16:16 acts 8:36:38

God breathed life into Adam, gen 2:7 and we received this life from our fathers!

Christ breathed on the apostles our spiritual fathers, we receive the new covenant life of God’s grace from them thru faith & baptism! Jn 20:21-23 Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38

Born again! Born from above!

'The Father has set his seal' on Christ (John 6:27) and also seals us in him (cf. 2 Corinthians 1:22; Ephesians 1:23, 4:30). Because this seal indicates the indelible effect of the anointing with the Holy Spirit in the sacrament of Baptism,

Baptism indeed is the seal of eternal life." 87 The faithful Christian who I has "kept the seal" until the end, remaining faithful to the demands of his Baptism, will be able to depart this life "marked with the sign of faith," 88 with his baptismal faith, in expectation of the blessed vision of God - the consummation of faith - and in the hope of resurrection.

St. Paul tells the faithful at Ephesus that they have been “sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.” This is in terms of an indelible character imprinted on the soul in the sacraments of baptism and confirmation. It is not as if this invisible mark is simply decorative. Rather, through it, we are enabled to participate in Christ’s mission and in his offices of priest, prophet, and king. Eph 1:13

Sealed by God eph 1:13 sealed by God (ez 36:25-27) in the ark of salvation by baptism just as Noah was sealed by God in the ark of the flood gen 7:16

1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark of Noah none were saved, outside the church (the ark of salvation) none are saved!)

Sealed in the ark, sealed in the church the ark of salvation by baptism!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
no the enlightenment so called by atheistic philosophers who inspired the evils of the nazi and communists
I s'pose its not the short sighted, culturally bounded, religiously trapped generous slathering of a sickly sweet ego?

Reactions: amadeus