What is the importance of piety?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes... What is the importance, or value of piety?

Common in Catholicism, not common in Protestantism.

I'm very undisciplined in my Protestant faith. Which doesn't seem to distance me from God at all.
I fully support growing Christians that use disciplines to gain maturity.

What is the importance of piety, to you? Or is it unimportant?

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'm very undisciplined in my Protestant faith. Which doesn't seem to distance me from God at all.
I fully support growing Christian that use disciplines to gain maturity.

Piety is unimportant to me. The online definition I found that expresses my feelings most closely is "a belief or point of view that is accepted with unthinking conventional reverence." People think that if they behave in some sort of "holy" fashion that somehow that is more pleasing to God than if one just behaves "normally", as in loving your neighbor. It's as though they think that being semi-zombies is what God wants, but if you look at the life of His son, He was not like that at all. He was a rural tradesman who traveled extensively through the region, interacting directly with common people, and despised the pseudo-holiness of the religious leaders who made a show of their piety. Not only do I think that piety is unimportant, I think it drives most people away.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Piety is unimportant to me. The online definition I found that expresses my feelings most closely is "a belief or point of view that is accepted with unthinking conventional reverence." People think that if they behave in some sort of "holy" fashion that somehow that is more pleasing to God than if one just behaves "normally", as in loving your neighbor. It's as though they think that being semi-zombies is what God wants, but if you look at the life of His son, He was not like that at all. He was a rural tradesman who traveled extensively through the region, interacting directly with common people, and despised the pseudo-holiness of the religious leaders who made a show of their piety. Not only do I think that piety is unimportant, I think it drives most people away.
Christians have a duty ! that's a quality. Outside of that is one who is a slob.

One has a duty in everything, so when one comers across that a Priest is molesting children, then one has a duty to seek any such out, that's ones duty ! so if one was to hide such things then they are of Satan and worthy of Hell !

If one was to disregard such they are not worthy of Heaven. Because they are not even worthy of the Kingdom of God in fact.

If one does not have a duty who are such as they ? a bozo ?
One has a duty to call out evil !

If one was to disregard that their children having little or no regard regarding what their children were being subjected to in a school, such a one is not worthy of the Kingdom of God.

All of the people who go along with the sexual depravity nonsense that is depraving children in Schools nowadays are going to Hell ! because they are part of the problem in fact.

One has a duty to call out such deranged of Satan's works directly ! that's called Piety ! that's a Duty.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

2 Peter 1

Reactions: St. SteVen

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't share your view, my brother. I don't believe there is anything "pious" about the Catholic Church. Google "the Pope on his throne" and click on "images".

Jesus told us that the most humble is the greatest.

Matthew 18:1-4
English Standard Version
Who Is the Greatest?
18 At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” 2 And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them 3 and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A little bit of piety is necessary, to following the "Silver Line" - that is, you can't be moral, without being a little pious.

Not all things are created equal, piety reveals that.
Good post, thanks.
Could you expand on that a bit more?
I went to the "Silver Line" link and scanned the topic, but saw nothing about the Silver Line.

Reactions: The Learner

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Peter 1
Is this in reference to verses 5-9? (see below)
Can't a person do these things without being pious?

2 Peter 1:5-9 NIV
For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't share your view, my brother.
Excellent. Let's talk.
Thanks for your response!
I don't believe there is anything "pious" about the Catholic Church. Google "the Pope on his throne" and click on "images".
Wow. That's quite a mental image without even doing the search. - LOL
Jesus told us that the most humble is the greatest.
So, you are seeing piety as being humble?
Isn't there more to it than that?
Can a person appear to be humble, yet harbor thoughts of personal superiority?
I wonder about those who appear to have been baptized in pickle brine. (the sour look)
A sort of downtrodden misery. The weight of pious expectations.

• Love

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this in reference to verses 5-9? (see below)
Can't a person do these things without being pious?

2 Peter 1:5-9 NIV
For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.
In case I am off the wall lets investigate:

"The term piety usually refers to godliness or reverence for God. A person who shows great devotion to God through religious observance is said to be “pious.” ... Proper piety is characterized by godly behavior, and the end result is that God is glorified: “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven” (Matthew 5:16)." What is the definition of piety? | GotQuestions.org

"For Calvin, pietas designates the right attitude of man toward God, which includes true knowledge, heartfelt worship, saving faith, filial fear, prayerful submission, and reverential love. Knowing who and what God is (theology) leads to right attitudes toward Him and toward doing what He wants (piety). Calvin writes, "I call 'piety' that reverence joined with love of God which the knowledge of his benefits induces." This love and reverence for God is a necessary concomitant to any knowledge of Him and embraces all of life. Calvin says, "The whole life of Christians ought to be a sort of practice of godliness."" https://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/john-calvins-definition-piety

"In the context of Catholicism, "piety" is all about faithfulness in relationships. This faithfulness may be in one's relationship with parents, with country, or with God. When it is faithfulness in a Catholic's relationship with God, piety is considered both as the force behind popular devotions and as one of the "gifts of the Holy Spirit." These are unmerited gifts bestowed by the Holy Spirit on all members of the Catholic Church that lead them into a proper relationship with God."

Depending which definition you use the answer is Yes or No. I think piety comes into play in II Peter 1.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Peter 1
J.B. Phillips New Testament
1 1-2 Simon Peter, a servant and messenger of Jesus Christ, sends this letter to those who have been given a faith as valuable as yours in the righteousness of our God, and saviour Jesus Christ. May you know more and more of grace and peace as your knowledge of God and Jesus our Lord grows deeper.

God has done his part: see that you do yours
3-4 He has by his own action given us everything that is necessary for living the truly good life, in allowing us to know the one who has called us to him, through his own glorious goodness. It is through him that God’s greatest and most precious promises have become available to us men, making it possible for you to escape the inevitable disintegration that lust produces in the world and to share in God’s essential nature.

5-7 For this very reason you must do your utmost from your side, and see that your faith carries with it real goodness of life. Your goodness must be accompanied by knowledge, your knowledge by self-control, your self-control by the ability to endure. Your endurance too must always be accompanied by devotion to God; that in turn must have in it the quality of brotherliness, and your brotherliness must lead on to Christian love.

8-9 If you have these qualities existing and growing in you then it means that knowing our Lord Jesus Christ has not made your lives either complacent or unproductive. The man whose life fails to exhibit these qualities is short-sighted—he can no longer see the reason why he was cleansed from his former sins.

10-11 Set your minds, then, on endorsing by your conduct the fact that God has called and chosen you. If you go along the lines I have indicated above, there is no reason why you should stumble, and if you have lived the sort of life I have recommended God will open wide to you the gates of the eternal kingdom of our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ.

Truth will bear repetition
12-15 I shall not fail to remind you of things like this although you know them and are already established in the truth. I consider it my duty, as long as I live in the temporary dwelling of this body, to stimulate you by these reminders. I know that I shall have to leave this body at very short notice, as our Lord Jesus Christ made clear to me. Consequently I shall make the most of every opportunity, so that after I am gone you will remember these things.

16-17 We were not following a cleverly written-up story when we told you about the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ—we actually saw his majesty with our own eyes. He received honour and glory from God the Father himself when that voice said to him, out of the sublime glory of Heaven, ‘This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased’.

18-19 We actually heard that voice speaking from Heaven while we were with him on the sacred mountain. The word of prophecy was fulfilled in our hearing! You should give that word your closest attention, for it shines like a lamp amidst all the dirt and darkness of the world, until the day dawns, and the morning star rises in your hearts.

False prophets will flourish, but only for a time
20-21 But you must understand this at the outset, that no prophecy of scripture arose from an individual’s interpretation of the truth. No prophecy came because a man wanted it to: men of God spoke because they were inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God has done his part: see that you do yours
I have a good understanding of God's part. But...
There seems to be a broad understanding (many varied opinions) about what our part is.

I have indeed found my part. But it seems to have little to do with piety.

I don't consider myself to be a prophet, but I really resonate with this definition.

1 Corinthians 14:3 NIV
But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Piety is basically humility. And we are to seek humility with diligence. God gives grace to the humble. :)

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Strong words. Thanks.
How are you defining piety?
In Christ 24/7
As in St Stephen his cup ? he, was full of the Holy Spirit, that's Piety ?
The Religion does not count, as that is not Salvation, it does not Save ! only Christ Jesus Saves ones Soul.
If one has not Grace what are you then ? Grace is above Faith for such is Charity and if one has not Charity ones Faith has no Fruit.

Not worldly charity that most think of charity being, but of Christian Charity ? That is coming from of above. Devotion in Christ Jesus as his Body and he as the Head their of.

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I apologize for my thick-headedness on this.
Was raised Protestant evangelical. Piety was rarely mentioned, and never really discussed.
Seemed to be the realm of high-church (liturgical) Protestants and Catholics.

Piety was everything the other churches did. Nothing to do with us.
I imagine I am already doing the important aspects, humility and devotion.
Not sure what else I should be aware of. Send help. Thanks.

cc: @Episkopos @Reggie Belafonte @Patrick1966