What is the importance of piety?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I apologize for my thick-headedness on this.
Was raised Protestant evangelical. Piety was rarely mentioned, and never really discussed.
Seemed to be the realm of high-church (liturgical) Protestants and Catholics.

Piety was everything the other churches did. Nothing to do with us.
I imagine I am already doing the important aspects, humility and devotion.
Not sure what else I should be aware of. Send help. Thanks.

cc: @Episkopos @Reggie Belafonte @Patrick1966

I was confusing piety with humility. I suppose I should look to see what the Bible says about it.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I apologize for my thick-headedness on this.
Was raised Protestant evangelical. Piety was rarely mentioned, and never really discussed.
Seemed to be the realm of high-church (liturgical) Protestants and Catholics.

Piety was everything the other churches did. Nothing to do with us.
I imagine I am already doing the important aspects, humility and devotion.
Not sure what else I should be aware of. Send help. Thanks.

cc: @Episkopos @Reggie Belafonte @Patrick1966
With us humans there is always a trade-off....since the flesh can only do so much. We need to break free of our limitations by putting off the flesh...with God's help of course. :)

Piety is based on humility and the fear of the Lord. Both of these were effectively abolished by the Reformation in favour of a highly subjective salvation "assurance". The emphasis on individual salvation spun off the rails, so to speak, so that even what was good about the RCC was thrown out. But by throwing out the sound doctrines along with the bad practices, 1,500 years of Christianity was also thrown out.

Do Protestants need to rediscover the actual conditions for grace? Well, presumptions and assumptions about how great one's standing is before God (as in...see the bible says I'm saved) needs to give way to an actual encounter and empowerment by the living God. THAT would be an improvement over the RCC. However, we're talking about humans and man-made religious organizations here. We need to encourage one another to rely on the Lord. We need to ask, seek, and knock, until the Lord grants us true grace....being translated into the higher kingdom walk that we read about in the Bible.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Humility.

I remember being asked to edit a church pamphlet that said something to the effect of, "We're a humble church, but we're proud of it!" :rolleyes:

I chuckle at that, but I remember C.S. Lewis's dictum - "The truly humble man doesn't think of himself as a worm. He doesn't think of himself at all."

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A little bit of piety is necessary, to following the "Silver Line" - that is, you can't be moral, without being a little pious.

Not all things are created equal, piety reveals that.
Indeed, leaders and kings, even mothers and fathers, have their appointed position. Yet many assume to much beyond humility and even take advantage. There is a danger.

I prefer church leaders in humble surroundings and attire.

Reactions: The Learner

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe there is anything "pious" about the Catholic Church. Google "the Pope on his throne" and click on "images".
I agreed with this statement initially, but with some reservation.

Not sure how much of the "trappings" (religious garb, grand cathedrals, thrones, etc.) are by the choice of those in high office in the Church.
I would think that at least some of these things are received as gifts of honor bestowed upon leadership.
Things that are to be received with gratitude.

I mean honestly, who would choose to wear that stuff?

Reactions: Jim B

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With us humans there is always a trade-off....since the flesh can only do so much. We need to break free of our limitations by putting off the flesh...with God's help of course. :)
Great point.
There's an issue of balance as well, once you have learned some humility.
Finding the center of the pendulum swing between grovelling and exulting.

"... Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought,
but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the
faith God has distributed to each of you." - Romans 12:3 NIV

Humility can be self-defeating. The heavy yoke of unworthiness.
Even preventing us from fulfilling a calling God has on our lives.

I said, "I can't do this."
God said, "You're hired."

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Not sure how much of the "trappings" (religious garb, grand cathedrals, thrones, etc.) are by the choice of those in high office in the Church.
I would think that at least some of these things are received as gifts of honor bestowed upon leadership.

I don't know but there is nothing Biblical about it. Jesus often spoke about us being humble and those extravagant garments are anything but.

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Good post, thanks.
Could you expand on that a bit more?
I went to the "Silver Line" link and scanned the topic, but saw nothing about the Silver Line.
Being partially right most of the time, is what is called "the Silver Line".

Just as doing unto others what you desire done to you, is called the Golden Rule.

The point is "piety" gives what you believe, a little 'salt'. The Devil tries to twist it, to mean something bad; but the fact is some people in this world are elect (God favours them). If you weren't pious, you would never know the difference.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Francis-Throne.jpg

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being partially right most of the time, is what is called "the Silver Line".

Just as doing unto others what you desire done to you, is called the Golden Rule.
Ah ha. Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.

Not sure I follow the math(s) on this though. (The Silver Line)
Partially right most of the time > Mostly right part of the time ???

I would like to think that I am mostly right most of the time.
Which means partially wrong some of the time.
I know, I know... "Pride comes before a fall."

Good thing the Holy Spirit guides us in these things. (when we allow Him)
The point is "piety" gives what you believe, a little 'salt'. The Devil tries to twist it, to mean something bad; but the fact is some people in this world are elect (God favours them). If you weren't pious, you would never know the difference.
Okay. Sorry, I'm being a bit thick-headed again. Trying to grasp this.
We are defining piety as humility and devotion, if I remember correctly.
How are we defining "salt"? I'm familiar with the biblical term, I just don't see how it fits here.

How does piety give us "salt"?
Or, how does humility and devotion give us "salt"?
What is being preserved, or seasoned?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know. I believe that preachers should try to emulate Christ's ministry when he was on Earth.
That sounds good on the surface, but...
Jesus was an itinerant preacher. Traveled with a group of homeless men.
Traveled on foot from town to town, healing the sick, casting out demons, and raising the dead.

How are we doing on our To-Do list?

Matthew 10:8 NIV
Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy,[a] drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give.
Christ almost always demonstrated humility. As God told the apostles, the most in Heaven is the greatest in Heaven.
You probably meant "the least" would be the greatest. (no worries, I got it)

I don't think any of this has to do with outward appearances.
God used Balsam's donkey. And the town harlot in Jericho. (who ended up in the lineage of Christ) Say what?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Pope is, according to the Catholic Church, Jesus's personal representative here on Earth. I certainly cannot envision Jesus, during his ministry here on Earth, ever appearing in this manner.
I think tradition has put the RCC where it is today. These are the visible results.
Personally, I don't fault them for that. In fact, I am glad that someone is keeping these traditions alive.

I don't want to go to church in a museum, but I won't criticize those who grew up with and support such.

As Jesus's personal representative here on Earth, should the Pope dress like a middle-eastern man from the first century?
Not sure which is more ridiculous. - LOL