What is the Law and the Prophets? And...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, you need to understand that the standard (the Law) does not save you, but then do you go and transgress (sin) against it, that puts you under whose dominion, not Gods. Ask yourself, were the righteous people of the Old Testament saved by the law? No. it was grace, and they had to have faith. No one has ever been saved by the law. All who have been saved in all ages have been saved by grace.

Noah "found grace"..
Genesis 6:8
But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

Moses found grace...
Exodus 33:17
And the Lord said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name.

The children of Israel in the wilderness found grace...
Jeremiah 31:2
Thus saith the Lord, The people which were left of the sword found grace in the wilderness; even Israel, when I went to cause him to rest.

and so did Abel, Enoch, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph.

And the people back then as today were saved "by faith"...
Hebrews 11:1-8
1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.
3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.
8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

Christ alone can save. They were saved by looking forward to the cross; we, by looking back to it. The law is necessary because, like a mirror, it reveals the "dirt" in our lives. Without it, people are sinners but are not aware of it. So does faith wipe out the law?
Romans 3:31
Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

A person who refuses to keep God's law, saying that he is living under grace, is mistaken. He is living under sins dominion..
Romans 2:13
(For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, you need to understand that the standard (the Law) does not save you, but then do you go and transgress (sin) against it, that puts you under whose dominion, not Gods. Ask yourself, were the righteous people of the Old Testament saved by the law? No. it was grace, and they had to have faith. No one has ever been saved by the law. All who have been saved in all ages have been saved by grace.
I agree with what you are saying about grace, but not what you are saying about the law.

I asked @Bob Estey a question that I should ask you as well.

Imagine if you were driving in Florida and were pulled over by the police.
The officer wrote you a ticket, but you noticed that it was an officer from South Carolina, not Florida.
To make matters worse, he was charging you with breaking a South Carolina law.
A law for something that is NOT against Florida law. Would you pay the ticket or challenge it?

Why would you be concerned about a law like the Sabbath that was given only to the Israelites through Moses?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, you need to understand that the standard (the Law) does not save you...
The topic link I provided is to identify the differences between "the law, the Law, God's law, and Christ's law"
I invite you to read the OP and respond to my presentation. Which might be two or three of the first posts.

In your quote above you are referring to "the Law" (capital L).
Was that really your intention?

The capital L makes it a book title. As in "the Law, the Prophets, and the Psalms."
I'm guessing that's not what you meant.