What is the narrow gate?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
South Point, Hawaii (Big Island)
kjw47 said:
An a belongs at John 1:1-- one of many trinity errors found within their translating--- In the beginning was the word and the word was with HO THEOS-- and the word was Theos--not HO THEOS)--- it was not calling the word THE GOD---a god( small g is correct)
Jesus teaches he has a God--John 20:17, rev 3:12)--- teaching a trinity is calling Jesus a liar--Paul taught only the Father is God-1 cor 8:6--because its truth.
I do appreciate your concern, but the only translation in harmony with Jesus' truths is the NWT.
Thank you for caring and your response!

Only a very simple head's up basic ancient Greek first semester 100, ie, lowest one can go, eg, Jn.1:1c, kai Theoi en o Logos noting the predicate kai Theoi is placed first in order to receive the fullest emphasis. In the English structure of thoughts we normally place the predicate last of course. You got it! Great!

Thus we don't read "And God was the Logos," but "And the Logos was God" where placing an articulated article would immediately place kai O Theoi as the subject which the grammar and context will not support.

A.T. Robertson, Daniel Wallace, and a whole bunch more attest to the above although they are of a much unnecessary higher paygrade, ie, all lower paygrade simple 1st semester Greek stuff, ie, within a few weeks you'll be of a higher paygrade than myself.

Old Lower paygrade Jack

Catholicism = the foretold great apostasy. I studied for years all different religions claiming to be Christian--I learned Jesus' truths and applied them--the only place on earth to learn them is at a kingdom hall.
The teaching of a trinity calls Jesus a liar--who clearly taught-( John 17:1-6-the one who sent him( Father) is THE ONLY TRUE GOD--verse 6= YHWH(Jehovah)--- Paul teaches the same-1 cor 8:6)
We all must choose who we believe.
trinity translations are filled with errors to mislead.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
kjw47 said:
An a belongs at John 1:1-- one of many trinity errors found within their translating--- In the beginning was the word and the word was with HO THEOS-- and the word was Theos--not HO THEOS)--- it was not calling the word THE GOD---a god( small g is correct)
Jesus teaches he has a God--John 20:17, rev 3:12)--- teaching a trinity is calling Jesus a liar--Paul taught only the Father is God-1 cor 8:6--because its truth.
I do appreciate your concern, but the only translation in harmony with Jesus' truths is the NWT.

Catholicism = the foretold great apostasy. I studied for years all different religions claiming to be Christian--I learned Jesus' truths and applied them--the only place on earth to learn them is at a kingdom hall.
The teaching of a trinity calls Jesus a liar--who clearly taught-( John 17:1-6-the one who sent him( Father) is THE ONLY TRUE GOD--verse 6= YHWH(Jehovah)--- Paul teaches the same-1 cor 8:6)
We all must choose who we believe.
trinity translations are filled with errors to mislead.
Just to be polite, I'll tell you right now that I'm not going to engage you in debate, lest you waste your time, and you'll note I wasn't addressing you. As I just said, the debate was settled in the 3rd century meaning I'm under no obligation to fight that battle over again 1800 years later with you or anybody else. Have a nice life.

kjw47

Feb 18, 2014
This Vale Of Tears said:
Just to be polite, I'll tell you right now that I'm not going to engage you in debate, lest you waste your time, and you'll note I wasn't addressing you. As I just said, the debate was settled in the 3rd century meaning I'm under no obligation to fight that battle over again 1800 years later with you or anybody else. Have a nice life.
In the 3rd century--they were clueless.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This Vale Of Tears said:
Trying to argue with a JW is like sweeping a dirt floor. The problem as I see it is making the Bible the highest authority when it comes to determining Christian doctrine. From the beginning, the Bible has never served this role, the Church has which is why Jesus invested his authority in his apostles to "teach the nations". The things you're debating with a JW are issues that were settled in the Christian church in the 3rd century, where the heresies and gnostic beliefs were refuted for all time. The Church leaders didn't say "This is what we believe the Bible says.." which would open the door for alternative interpretations, they said, "This is what the Church says" and expressed this through what we call today the Apostles' and the Nicene Creeds. Once doctrinal issues were settled by the authority of the Catholic Church, Christians rallied around it and heretics were ejected from their midst.

When the Bible is made the sole rule of faith, it becomes an recipe for anarchy, for one cannot assert their interpretation of scripture to be more valid than another's when they can draw upon no higher authority than the scripture they're interpreting, just like those who disagree with them do. It makes the Bible fit a role it was never designed for, because the Bible never has and never will be an instrument of authority. It's the word of God in written form, assembled into a canon approved by the Church councils in Rome and Hippo, a strong indication that the authority was not the Bible but the Church that decided what the Bible was and wasn't. Never before the Bible was made official and never afterward until Martin Luther's heresy was ever entertained the concept that the Bible is the sole arbiter of faith and doctrine.

It's an important concept to understand to lay context on these interminable debates with Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, or any other school of belief that strays sharply from Christian orthodoxy. I recently had two JW's show up at my door and my response to them was pithy. The issue of the Trinity is settled and there is no higher authority on the dogmas of Christian belief than the Catholic Church. They left to find somebody else to dupe.
You should understand that some of us (generally referred to as "Protestant") don't agree about who the church is, and hold the scripture not only as God's written and proven word, but as more reliable than extra- biblical doctrine introduced by some "church" body. Consequently we have multiple arguments which never end about the authority of a figure like the Pope, papal decrees, the "doctrine" of papal infallibility, etc.
I personally can never recognize the authority of any man as exceeding that which is written in scripture, with the exception of the One who came down from heaven to redeem us from sin and reveal God in the perfection of humanity and in the person of His beloved Son. Since I don't anticipate Jesus returning in the clouds to put an end to this discussion (or any other regarding interpretation and legitimate authority) we can only attempt to present sound doctrine in this public forum when it is attacked by those doing the work of the adversary. If He does return, the argument will suddenly be rendered meaningless as the fate of this deluded soul and others caught up in such strong delusion will be sealed for all eternity (anathema maranatha.)
While it may seem like an exercise in futility, I already know former Jehovah's Witnesses that have had their eyes opened by the Lord and have turned from destruction to embrace Jesus as Savior and Lord. More significantly, those of us whom God has entrusted with some form of pastoral ministry would be remiss in our duties if we allowed wolves to lure lambs away with mystery doctrines and hidden gospels which are no gospel at all. God's sovereignty in creation doesn't make us unaccountable for our action: Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin. James 4:17

By the way, when interpreting scripture, those who know God may use Him as the authority for their interpretation as His Spirit within us gives testimony of the Truth to both the speaker (or writer) and to the listener (or reader.) This may appear subjective, but within my experience of Bible based churches I typically do not observe anarchy, but order. Even Pentecostals will impose some limits upon the order of their services (though they may be more readily subjected to false manifestations of spirit driven by the carnal need for recognition or pre-eminence.) While the Bible didn't exist as such during the "in the flesh" ministry of Jesus upon the earth, He quoted scripture regularly as His authority, so it would seem foolish to deny such authority now as though the written word had become irrelevant. Even the Roman Catholic Church has held the scripture as an ultimate authority in determining the veracity of doctrine, but the leadership of that church has also held that interpretation of scripture had to be left to the priesthood for reasons which should be obvious to any human being with a consciousness of our fallen nature.

JoJoRoss

Apr 4, 2014
Carlsbad,CA
Jesus taught----- Enter through the narrow gate, because cramped is the road that leads to life( eternal) FEW will find it. Have you seen the narrow gate? Are you one of the FEW?
Yes there will be few, I agree.

But it's not eternal life it is LIFE! In this evil age. Who are the few? The sons of God. And after this age what will be the purpose of the sons of God?:

Romans 8
18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. 19 For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility (according to Romans 1, by God himself), not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

The ones that are called of the Lord in this age will be the ones with God bringing freedom to ALL of creation! God will be ALL IN ALL!

This Vale Of Tears, on 10 May 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:
This Vale Of Tears said:
Trying to argue with a JW is like sweeping a dirt floor. The problem as I see it is making the Bible the highest authority when it comes to determining Christian doctrine. From the beginning, the Bible has never served this role, the Church has which is why Jesus invested his authority in his apostles to "teach the nations". The things you're debating with a JW are issues that were settled in the Christian church in the 3rd century, where the heresies and gnostic beliefs were refuted for all time. The Church leaders didn't say "This is what we believe the Bible says.." which would open the door for alternative interpretations, they said, "This is what the Church says" and expressed this through what we call today the Apostles' and the Nicene Creeds. Once doctrinal issues were settled by the authority of the Catholic Church, Christians rallied around it and heretics were ejected from their midst.

When the Bible is made the sole rule of faith, it becomes an recipe for anarchy, for one cannot assert their interpretation of scripture to be more valid than another's when they can draw upon no higher authority than the scripture they're interpreting, just like those who disagree with them do. It makes the Bible fit a role it was never designed for, because the Bible never has and never will be an instrument of authority. It's the word of God in written form, assembled into a canon approved by the Church councils in Rome and Hippo, a strong indication that the authority was not the Bible but the Church that decided what the Bible was and wasn't. Never before the Bible was made official and never afterward until Martin Luther's heresy was ever entertained the concept that the Bible is the sole arbiter of faith and doctrine.

It's an important concept to understand to lay context on these interminable debates with Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, or any other school of belief that strays sharply from Christian orthodoxy. I recently had two JW's show up at my door and my response to them was pithy. The issue of the Trinity is settled and there is no higher authority on the dogmas of Christian belief than the Catholic Church. They left to find somebody else to dupe.
You should understand that some of us (generally referred to as "Protestant") don't agree about who the church is, and hold the scripture not only as God's written and proven word, but as more reliable than extra- biblical doctrine introduced by some "church" body. Consequently we have multiple arguments which never end about the authority of a figure like the Pope, papal decrees, the "doctrine" of papal infallibility, etc.
I personally can never recognize the authority of any man as exceeding that which is written in scripture, with the exception of the One who came down from heaven to redeem us from sin and reveal God in the perfection of humanity and in the person of His beloved Son. Since I don't anticipate Jesus returning in the clouds to put an end to this discussion (or any other regarding interpretation and legitimate authority) we can only attempt to present sound doctrine in this public forum when it is attacked by those doing the work of the adversary. If He does return, the argument will suddenly be rendered meaningless as the fate of this deluded soul and others caught up in such strong delusion will be sealed for all eternity (anathema maranatha.)
While it may seem like an exercise in futility, I already know former Jehovah's Witnesses that have had their eyes opened by the Lord and have turned from destruction to embrace Jesus as Savior and Lord. More significantly, those of us whom God has entrusted with some form of pastoral ministry would be remiss in our duties if we allowed wolves to lure lambs away with mystery doctrines and hidden gospels which are no gospel at all. God's sovereignty in creation doesn't make us unaccountable for our action: Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin. James 4:17

By the way, when interpreting scripture, those who know God may use Him as the authority for their interpretation as His Spirit within us gives testimony of the Truth to both the speaker (or writer) and to the listener (or reader.) This may appear subjective, but within my experience of Bible based churches I typically do not observe anarchy, but order. Even Pentecostals will impose some limits upon the order of their services (though they may be more readily subjected to false manifestations of spirit driven by the carnal need for recognition or pre-eminence.) While the Bible didn't exist as such during the "in the flesh" ministry of Jesus upon the earth, He quoted scripture regularly as His authority, so it would seem foolish to deny such authority now as though the written word had become irrelevant. Even the Roman Catholic Church has held the scripture as an ultimate authority in determining the veracity of doctrine, but the leadership of that church has also held that interpretation of scripture had to be left to the priesthood for reasons which should be obvious to any human being with a consciousness of our fallen nature.
[SIZE=14pt]The Vale of tears and Mark V Pardo,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Thank God we can have these discussions in a forum like this. I know in the 3rd century a lot of us would be burned at the stake by now![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]God never wanted the body of Christ built up to a man made institution. All this has done throughout history is bring death (spiritually and physically). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]What did Christ want His body (the church) to be built on?:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=large]Matthew 16:13-18-And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.[/SIZE]And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

[SIZE=14pt]Wow. ON JESUS CHRIST! Not flesh and blood-sects/denominations-[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt] Galatians 5:19-21-[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]19 Now apparent are the works of the flesh, which are adultery, prostitution, uncleanness, wantonness, idolatry, enchantment, enmities, strife, jealousies, furies, factions, dissensions, sects, envies, murders, drunkennesses, revelries, and the like of these, which, I am predicting to you, according as I predicted also, that those committing such things shall not be enjoying the allotment of the kingdom of God.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]All we have is to trust God. Not man and their works of flesh. Thank God for His truth-THE HOLY BIBLE![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Gods Peace,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]JoJo[/SIZE]

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
kjw47 said:
I went further than studying Mr Russells teachings--I learned Jesus' truths and sought his teachers--A kingdom hall is the only place I ever found that actually teaches Jesus' truths. I don't know a single JW that is brainwashed--seems to me we are all mortal--all choosing with our own free will to walk the path we walk. We are obedient to Gods word firstly in all matters.
All of creation has seen what occurs when one trys to unxderstand the deep things of God without being taught by Jesus' teachers--they see 1 cor 1:10) 32,999 religions as a disunified mass of confusion. They see correctly.
Take a good close look at this picture that was in Apocalypse:It's Grand Climax At Hand(first edition) published by the Watchtower Society in 1988, page 52; and tell me what you see. Sometimes things are hidden in plain sight but if we blindly trust and follow men then we aren't going to see it. And by the way, this hasn't been photoshopped or altered. I saw this myself firsthand.

imagenoriginal_zpsc43565c1.jpg

JoJoRoss

Apr 4, 2014
Carlsbad,CA
Take a good close look at this picture that was in Apocalypse:It's Grand Climax At Hand(first edition) published by the Watchtower Society in 1988, page 52; and tell me what you see. Sometimes things are hidden in plain sight but if we blindly trust and follow men then we aren't going to see it. And by the way, this hasn't been photoshopped or altered. I saw this myself firsthand.
Amen truthquest! Leave the traditions of men behind and follow the commandments of God!

Gods peace,
JoJo

kjw47

Feb 18, 2014
truthquest said:

imagenoriginal_zpsc43565c1.jpg
What are we supposed to be seeing?

revelation--grand climax at hand--not apocolypse

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The beautiful pictures and photographs that are painstakingly produced are there for a purpose. They are teaching aids that make us think and feel...."http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/w20130715/watchtower-artwork/
I would hope that the art department has people who are careful about what is contained and seen in every picture and that there is someone who approves the art work before it is published.
Let's start with the most obvious, at least it was to me and the most troubling. The person in front is supposed to represent Jesus I think. Take a look at the person to the left of him. Now look at that person's hands while holding the scepter. One of those "hands" isn't a hand. Take a close look. It's a claw and you can even see part of that person's arm that doesn't look like a human arm. I wonder why this was placed into this picture. What sort of teaching aid would that be and how would that make us think and feel. According to the quote above, the pictures are painstakingly produced for a purpose.
Now take a look at the scepter "Jesus" is holding....

kjw47

Feb 18, 2014
truthquest said:
"The beautiful pictures and photographs that are painstakingly produced are there for a purpose. They are teaching aids that make us think and feel...."http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/w20130715/watchtower-artwork/
I would hope that the art department has people who are careful about what is contained and seen in every picture and that there is someone who approves the art work before it is published.
Let's start with the most obvious, at least it was to me and the most troubling. The person in front is supposed to represent Jesus I think. Take a look at the person to the left of him. Now look at that person's hands while holding the scepter. One of those "hands" isn't a hand. Take a close look. It's a claw and you can even see part of that person's arm that doesn't look like a human arm. I wonder why this was placed into this picture. What sort of teaching aid would that be and how would that make us think and feel. According to the quote above, the pictures are painstakingly produced for a purpose.
Now take a look at the scepter "Jesus" is holding....
I am confident they know exactly what they do and are doing for being imperfect mortals.

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
kjw47 said:
I am confident they know exactly what they do and are doing for being imperfect mortals.
I don't doubt they know exactly what they're doing. The question is what is that? Do you pay attention to the pictures in the books and magazines? Does it not bother you at all that this picture has someone with a claw for a hand? It seems you didn't notice this till I pointed it out to you and I wonder why. It is almost in the center of the picture. It should be readily seen. And then when I point it out to you, you say it is a mistake by imperfect mortals? By their own claim these pictures are painstakingly produced for a purpose as teaching aids. So why was so much time and effort spent on drawing a claw for a hand instead of just drawing a normal hand? Something like this doesn't belong in a picture that is supposed to represent Christian teachings. I would think that would go without saying. And this isn't the only picture where something like this was drawn.

kjw47

Feb 18, 2014
truthquest said:
I don't doubt they know exactly what they're doing. The question is what is that? Do you pay attention to the pictures in the books and magazines? Does it not bother you at all that this picture has someone with a claw for a hand? It seems you didn't notice this till I pointed it out to you and I wonder why. It is almost in the center of the picture. It should be readily seen. And then when I point it out to you, you say it is a mistake by imperfect mortals? By their own claim these pictures are painstakingly produced for a purpose as teaching aids. So why was so much time and effort spent on drawing a claw for a hand instead of just drawing a normal hand? Something like this doesn't belong in a picture that is supposed to represent Christian teachings. I would think that would go without saying. And this isn't the only picture where something like this was drawn.
Did you ever read revelation--- many strange descriptions of beings and events in there. Have you ever seen a 7 headed beast with 10 horns? or a two horned beast?--I have.

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
kjw47 said:
Did you ever read revelation--- many strange descriptions of beings and events in there. Have you ever seen a 7 headed beast with 10 horns? or a two horned beast?--I have.
I see. Okay well give me chapter and verse about the one with the claw for a hand in Revelation as it pertains to this picture of course.
Who do these others represent wearing the crowns? Any special reason why one of them would have a claw for a hand?

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
South Point, Hawaii (Big Island)
Thank you for caring!

I searched the picture repeatedly and didn't see the claw - it's me as not that much into pictures + old age, however was seriously wondering if that person was suppose to be Judas?

Old rarely serious Jack

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
rev-p52-sm_zpsc3a337da.jpg

You should be able to see it now. Although this isn't as clear as the other picture.

kjw47

Feb 18, 2014
truthquest said:
I see. Okay well give me chapter and verse about the one with the claw for a hand in Revelation as it pertains to this picture of course.
Who do these others represent wearing the crowns? Any special reason why one of them would have a claw for a hand?
What page is this pic on--I will look it up.

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
kjw47 said:
The JW teachers are the only teachers I have ever found who teach Jesus' truths--learning Jesus truths and applying them is the key. So I do believe Jesus teachers are the narrow gate to the door(Jesus) to gain entrance to the ancient of days( Father) YHWH(Jehovah) then this truth will be real--The Father is searching for suchlike ones to worship him in spirit and truth.
I'm confused. First you say Jesus is the narrow gate. Quote kjw: "Yes Jesus is the door( narrow gate)". And now you say that "Jesus teachers" are the narrow gate. It can't be both. It has to be one or the other. So which is it?

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Does it really matter what the narrow gate was? Jesus said with men it is impossible. With God, all things are possible. The only way through the gate is by way of what God did/does rather than by what man can do. God gives grace to the humble and resists the proud. Those who are too proud to let go of their own righteousness and take the free gift of righteousness from God (Rom.5:18,19) given by way of one man's obedience (Jesus), will be resisted.
Many JW's are in the exercise of trying to deserve what they call "undeserved kindness". Try getting one to admit that, though. But unfortunately they are not the only ones engaged in earning the free gift by other means than mere faith.

By the way, when Jesus died, the veil of the temple was torn from top to bottom. This indicated that the way to life (the free gift of life) was made available to all. Jesus didn't call Himself the gate. He called Himself the Way. Who says the narrow gate wasn't just pre Calvary? Why would we not think that Jesus came to solve and resolve the issue between man and God?

As for the so called teachers of Jesus, they are not the way. Acts 4:12 states that it is Jesus Himself that gives life. He is the mediator between God and man. There is no man under Adam that is the mediator. Not since Moses. As for the picture above, it is most disturbing. I wonder what the explanation is?

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
kjw47 said:
What page is this pic on--I will look it up.
Somehow I managed to delete my previous post about this. It should be on page 52 of the 1988 first edition Revelation book.

williemac said:
As for the picture above, it is most disturbing. I wonder what the explanation is?
That seems to be a great mystery. I've heard all kinds of explanations from sloppy artwork to artists doing this deliberately. I was also told that what I was seeing wasn't really there. :huh: Over the years JW's have given me magazines and books and there are some in my extended family who are JW's. The first time I saw this picture I did a double take. I almost immediately saw that claw and it was creepy to say the least. I have since researched and this isn't the only picture where something like this was drawn.

kjw47

Feb 18, 2014
truthquest said:
Somehow I managed to delete my previous post about this. It should be on page 52 of the 1988 first edition Revelation book.

That seems to be a great mystery. I've heard all kinds of explanations from sloppy artwork to artists doing this deliberately. I was also told that what I was seeing wasn't really there. :huh: Over the years JW's have given me magazines and books and there are some in my extended family who are JW's. The first time I saw this picture I did a double take. I almost immediately saw that claw and it was creepy to say the least. I have since researched and this isn't the only picture where something like this was drawn.
I cant seem to find anything in the rev book on the pic about the claw--I am confident there is a reason. I will check.
williemac said:
Does it really matter what the narrow gate was? Jesus said with men it is impossible. With God, all things are possible. The only way through the gate is by way of what God did/does rather than by what man can do. God gives grace to the humble and resists the proud. Those who are too proud to let go of their own righteousness and take the free gift of righteousness from God (Rom.5:18,19) given by way of one man's obedience (Jesus), will be resisted.
Many JW's are in the exercise of trying to deserve what they call "undeserved kindness". Try getting one to admit that, though. But unfortunately they are not the only ones engaged in earning the free gift by other means than mere faith.

By the way, when Jesus died, the veil of the temple was torn from top to bottom. This indicated that the way to life (the free gift of life) was made available to all. Jesus didn't call Himself the gate. He called Himself the Way. Who says the narrow gate wasn't just pre Calvary? Why would we not think that Jesus came to solve and resolve the issue between man and God?

As for the so called teachers of Jesus, they are not the way. Acts 4:12 states that it is Jesus Himself that gives life. He is the mediator between God and man. There is no man under Adam that is the mediator. Not since Moses. As for the picture above, it is most disturbing. I wonder what the explanation is?
JW,s aren't trying to be deserving of something undeserved--you are mistaken.
The renting of the veil( banner) was to signify the cutting off of Israel as Gods chosen.