What is the sin unto death in 1 John 5:16?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is a difficult one. Here is my attempt.

1 John 5:

13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.
John addresses the brothers in the church.

14 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 15And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.
16 If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death.
Perhaps John refers to blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, i.e., the unforgivable sin.

Let P1 = the person who stubbornly refuses to admit his sin and therefore would not repent.

I am not saying that you should pray about that.
Don't bother praying for P1. He will never change.

17All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death.
18 We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin;
P1 is not born of God.

the One who was born of God keep them safe, and the evil one cannot harm them. 19We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one. 20We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true by being in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.
21 Dear children, keep yourselves from idols.
P1 worships idols in his heart, not God.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My thought is this

A sin that leads to the death of self or another

IE, You drink and drive, and end up getting killed because you wrap your car around a tree. you have commited a sin that leads to death

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't really know what the "Sin unto Death" is? I'm not sure it is focusing on unpardonable Sins, either. King David had a child out of wedlock, and the child died, despite the prayers of David. Neither David nor the baby committed unpardonable sins. It was David's sin that irrevocably led to the baby's death. Nobody can pray against a consequence that God has determined must result.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Did not Jesus tell those around Him that there were some standing near him who would not taste the second death until He returned?

When we sin, we become a candidate for the second death, unless we repent of that sin and ask for God's forgiveness.

We need to understand what the consequence of sinning is. If we do not repent before God of our sins before our physical death, then we remain a candidate for the second death when we stand before the judgement sit.

Shalom

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This is a difficult one. Here is my attempt.
FWIW….here is mine….
John addresses the brothers in the church.
Yes, he addresses his brothers….John speaks of prayer and two types of sin. (1 John 5:16-17)
“A sin that does not incur death” is not willful, and it would not be wrong to pray that the repentant wrongdoer be forgiven. Without repentance, there is no basis for forgiveness. (Acts 2:36-38; Acts 3:19)

We all know that “all unrighteousness is sin” (The common Hebrew term translated “sin” is chat·taʼthʹ; in Greek the usual word is ha·mar·tiʹa. In both languages the verb forms (Heb., cha·taʼʹ; Gr., ha·mar·taʹno) mean “miss,” in the sense of missing or not reaching a goal, way, mark, or right point. Used in archery, it means to miss the mark.)
“Yet there is a sin that does not incur death” because it results from our imperfection, so if we are repentant, then the sin is covered by Christ’s sacrifice. It’s called a “propitiatory“ sacrifice because it “covers” the sin, blotting it out.
Perhaps John refers to blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, i.e., the unforgivable sin.
Sinning against the holy spirit is “unforgivable” because those who blaspheme the spirit are those who have taken on the responsibility of teaching and ministering to the flock, and yet who work in opposition to the operation of God’s spirit.

Hebrews 10:26-28 states that “if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment and there is a fiery jealousy that is going to consume those in opposition.”
With knowledge comes serious responsibility.
Don't bother praying for P1. He will never change.
Thats it. No point in praying for the incorrigible sinner. They are already “dead” to God spiritually…..like the Pharisees of whom Jesus said….
“Every plant that my heavenly Father did not plant will be uprooted. 14 Let them be. Blind guides is what they are. If, then, a blind man guides a blind man, both will fall into a pit.”

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FWIW….here is mine….

Yes, he addresses his brothers….John speaks of prayer and two types of sin. (1 John 5:16-17)
“A sin that does not incur death” is not willful, and it would not be wrong to pray that the repentant wrongdoer be forgiven. Without repentance, there is no basis for forgiveness. (Acts 2:36-38; Acts 3:19)

We all know that “all unrighteousness is sin” (The common Hebrew term translated “sin” is chat·taʼthʹ; in Greek the usual word is ha·mar·tiʹa. In both languages the verb forms (Heb., cha·taʼʹ; Gr., ha·mar·taʹno) mean “miss,” in the sense of missing or not reaching a goal, way, mark, or right point. Used in archery, it means to miss the mark.)
“Yet there is a sin that does not incur death” because it results from our imperfection, so if we are repentant, then the sin is covered by Christ’s sacrifice. It’s called a “propitiatory“ sacrifice because it “covers” the sin, blotting it out.

Sinning against the holy spirit is “unforgivable” because those who blaspheme the spirit are those who have taken on the responsibility of teaching and ministering to the flock, and yet who work in opposition to the operation of God’s spirit.

Hebrews 10:26-28 states that “if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment and there is a fiery jealousy that is going to consume those in opposition.”
With knowledge comes serious responsibility.

Thats it. No point in praying for the incorrigible sinner. They are already “dead” to God spiritually…..like the Pharisees of whom Jesus said….
“Every plant that my heavenly Father did not plant will be uprooted. 14 Let them be. Blind guides is what they are. If, then, a blind man guides a blind man, both will fall into a pit.”
What comes to mind also is Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 2. Notice he did not pray for them to repent and be forgiven. Peter was given great discernment, or was given a word from the Holy Spirit...?

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What comes to mind also is Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 2. Notice he did not pray for them to repent and be forgiven. Peter was given great discernment, or was given a word from the Holy Spirit...?
Yes, Peter’s reply to the wife after her husband had been struck dead, unbeknownst to her…shows the collusion.…..but ‘making a test of the Holy Spirit’ is what was unforgivable. The apostles were gifted with Holy Spirit and therefore knew their thinking. Their motive in giving was to big-note themselves, not to benefit others.

7 Now after an interval of about three hours his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 Peter said to her: “Tell me, did you two sell the field for so much?” She said: “Yes, for that amount.” 9 So Peter said to her: “Why did you two agree to make a test of the spirit of Jehovah? Look! The feet of those who buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out.” 10 Instantly she collapsed at his feet and died. When the young men came in, they found her dead and they carried her out and buried her alongside her husband.” (Acts 5:7-10)

This shows that it’s not what you do, so much as why you do it……sometimes God is the only one who knows.…and he will give to each one their due recompense.

Reactions: Debp and Nancy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

What is the sin unto death in 1 John 5:16?​

Determined abandonment of the gift given.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Peter’s reply to the wife after her husband had been struck dead, unbeknownst to her…shows the collusion.…..but ‘making a test of the Holy Spirit’ is what was unforgivable. The apostles were gifted with Holy Spirit and therefore knew their thinking. Their motive in giving was to big-note themselves, not to benefit others.

7 Now after an interval of about three hours his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 Peter said to her: “Tell me, did you two sell the field for so much?” She said: “Yes, for that amount.” 9 So Peter said to her: “Why did you two agree to make a test of the spirit of Jehovah? Look! The feet of those who buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out.” 10 Instantly she collapsed at his feet and died. When the young men came in, they found her dead and they carried her out and buried her alongside her husband.” (Acts 5:7-10)

This shows that it’s not what you do, so much as why you do it……sometimes God is the only one who knows.…and he will give to each one their due recompense.
Amen. Motive is key to the heart's desires. I wonder why this kind of thing does not happen today. I know not all churchgoers tell the truth to other Christians.
What a way to discern others' intentions! Ha!
Good word Aunty!

Reactions: Debp and Aunty Jane

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 6:4-6

"4For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame."

To renounce Christ

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen. Motive is key to the heart's desires. I wonder why this kind of thing does not happen today
BECAUSE "The heart [is] deceitful above all [things], and desperately wicked: who can know it?"

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: Nancy