What is the will if the Father?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

guysmith

Nov 12, 2007
Miami, FL
Matthew 7: 21“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

So, what His will?

In Christ,
Guy Smith

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The will of the Father is for us to love like Christ loves and in the same way we loved before the Fall - selflessly

Tropical Islander

Dec 20, 2013
Matthew 7:21 separates the ones that express a verbal admiration to Jesus yet don't do the will of the father that sent him.

The will of the father is mentioned in general terms in the prayer we are told to model our prayer after:

Luke 11:2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.

The will of OUR Father includes everything that is part of HIS declared will or testimony from the beginning of creation.

If we would not not know HIS will, and HE would not reveal it to us - how could we possibly do it?

For us it starts with: Luke 9:35 And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.

To hear him is not the same as to hear about him. We have to hear him on a personal level, not a historical one, or theological one or from a secondary source that explains what he meant when he said it. He speaks to us now, today in exactly the same way he did in history to his followers. Jesus will reveal the will of our Father to us if we hear him.

Reactions: KingJ

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, this is a real problem for me........probably because I became a Christ later in life. I have noticed that Christians often speak about important, even foundational concepts as if everyone knows what they are talking about. I will be honest, to an interested outsider, it sounds like Christianity is just a big inside story that doesn't include people who do not belong to the club. To hostile onlookers, it looks like Christians do not understand what they claim to believe and teach.

Gods Will is to love others. That is it. All the commandments require that you consider others welfare before your own, that is why it is the sum of the law.

IBeMe

Jun 17, 2013
aspen: ...male supremacy characteristic of dominator societies are superseded...
In other words ... the gay gospel.

Nope ... that isn't the will of God ... not by a long shot.

Reactions: KingJ

SolaGratia

Dec 24, 2013
Northwest Washington State
guysmith said:
Matthew 7: 21“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

So, what His will?
His will can mean different things (depending on the context). He has a sovereign will, which is done as a matter of course, just because He will it. And He has a revealed or moral will. His revealed will is revealed through scripture. This is what we are accountable for.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
guysmith said:

So, what His will?

In Christ,
Guy Smith
God's will is that we all get saved. We get saved today when we believe in Jesus as Lord John 3:16 and keep Him as Lord Rom 8:13. We can only truly believe Jesus is Lord if it's revealed to us by the Holy Spirit 1 Cor 12:3. The Holy Spirit reveals this to us when we draw closer to Him James 4:8. We draw closer by 'obeying His commandments Matt 16:24, keeping a humble heart James 4:6; Psalm 51:17 and judging ourselves truthfully 1 Cor 11:31 as God does Jer 17:10.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The gay gospel? You really have a warped view of love if you are confusing it with gay sex.

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
guysmith said:

So, what His will?

In Christ,
Guy Smith

The Lord's will is not just see Jesus as Lord but follow Him as our personal Savior.

lukethreesix

Jan 11, 2014
Aspen is absolutely right! The will of God is extreme...extremely simple, and extremely hard. Love. Loving God through loving people. That is the law. The whole of scripture is Love. Extreme Love. Love is a noun and a verb. Its a thing and an action. God is the thing, time for us to do the acting.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
lukethreesix said:
Aspen is absolutely right! The will of God is extreme...extremely simple, and extremely hard. Love. Loving God through loving people. That is the law. The whole of scripture is Love. Extreme Love. Love is a noun and a verb. Its a thing and an action. God is the thing, time for us to do the acting.
And if we love Him we will obey His commandments. And if we love one-another we will correct, rebuke and exhort.

Most times Christians confuse loving with hating. If you hate me you will ''love'' / kiss / cheerfully smile / not offend me to hell.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
king - you have a harsh view of love - as if we are called to beat the truth into our neighbors....is that how you receive love? in my experience, love is persistant and temper with mercy.

your view of love reminds me of graduate school - a persistant attempt by the profs to weed out the losers who got it through a back door and really dont belong with the choosen.....

thankfully God wants ALL of us.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
aspen said:
king - you have a harsh view of love - as if we are called to beat the truth into our neighbors....is that how you receive love? in my experience, love is persistant and temper with mercy.

your view of love reminds me of graduate school - a persistant attempt by the profs to weed out the losers who got it through a back door and really dont belong with the choosen.....

thankfully God wants ALL of us.
Aspen, sorry about grad school but you cannot make that comparison here. In Christianity the ''clear'' losers are those filled with pride.

Correction and rebuke must be done in a loving manner. Approach alone, then with two witnesses then with elder's.

''Beat truth into our neighbours'' :) ...I wish we could, would make preaching easy. I am referring to those in Christ, NOT outside.

1 Cor 5:12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
King, all i can say to your approach is 'ick' - God is not trying to weed us out - He wants to be in relationship with us. i am sorry to hear that you worship such an exclusive, country club god....

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
I quoted Paul. You are just giving me a vague opinion. All I can assume is that you belong to an 'anyone can sin and get to heaven as long as you feel a funny feeling inside' type church. Or its not your place to judge so sit by and watch your brothers and sisters die in their sins. Refusing correction from scripture presented by brothers and then respected / qualified elders shows pride, Aspen. No way around that!

Matt 18:15-17

15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. 16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. 17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.