What is theosis?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vengle

Sep 22, 2011
Ohio
What is theosis, and how does one attain it, according to EO theology?

This is the first I have heard the word but before I search into it deeper I will take a stab at its implication.

biggandyy sounds as if on the right tract with that comic answer. An osis is a condition like the bodies liver state from much alcohol or other contaminates.

Therefore I would say that it speaks of achieving the following:

2 Peter 1:4 "Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust."

I believe that the scriptures teach us that the main difference between lower animals and man is that man was created to bear the divine image. We are meant to bear it in a way that it completely envelops us throughout, like as an osis.

That is my best guess without researching it further.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
This is the first I have heard the word but before I search into it deeper I will take a stab at its implication.

biggandyy sounds as if on the right tract with that comic answer. An osis is a condition like the bodies liver state from much alcohol or other contaminates.

Therefore I would say that it speaks of achieving the following:

2 Peter 1:4 "Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust."

I believe that the scriptures teach us that the main difference between lower animals and man is that man was created to bear the divine image. We are meant to bear it in a way that it completely envelops us throughout, like as an osis.

That is my best guess without researching it further.

I must say, if this is what it means, I am all for 'theosis', becoming one with God and partakers of the divine nature! :)

nomerhunks

Jul 6, 2011
Singapore
Based on my research. In Christian theology, divinization, deification, making divine or theosis is the transforming effect of divine grace.