What is "True Religion"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.

James 1:26-27 (NLT)

In this passage in James, the author uses the terminology of religion to help people understand what religion was intended to be, but it seems like religion is overall so negative a word in the world today, it is impossible to talk about "pure and genuine religion" and it come out positively. The majority of James audience were most likely from a practicing Jewish background, which makes his words all the more appropriate. How would you talk about this today to people? The article below is some additional thoughts I wrote, if you are interested.

Don’t Become Inoculated by the Empty Calories of Religion

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.

In this passage in James, the author uses the terminology of religion to help people understand what religion was intended to be, but it seems like religion is overall so negative a word in the world today, it is impossible to talk about "pure and genuine religion" and it come out positively. The majority of James audience were most likely from a practicing Jewish background, which makes his words all the more appropriate. How would you talk about this today to people? The article below is some additional thoughts I wrote, if you are interested.

Yes, I've always said that the worst thing that happened to Christianity was it becoming the state religion in 380 ad, Edict of Thessalonica. Such complacency, pretense, syncretism entered the Church. Whatever happened to the conviction, acumen and fortitude that was required during the times of the persecuted Church - what men that they must've been, those who withstood persecution? Yes, tolerance of religion allowed an immense wealth of literature, study and evangelization to propagate, but nationalizing a religion is another thing altogether.
I think equally as during the trials of Christ, we saw immediately who were the faithful (very few), the hard words of Jesus (John 6:60-65) separated the men from the boys.
True religion is, as you said, self-discipline, denying oneself over others, loving Jesus more than one's life, despising the world and aiming to store one's treasures in heaven. It is not the prosperity Gospel, or any permutation of it.

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus
I lived in Istanbul (former Constantinople) for 19 years. You can definitely see the end of the road that state religion leads to. I do believe that wherever the Gospel is preached, taught or available, you will still find those who were called out by the Holy Spirit into true faith and belief in Christ. I met people from a variety of non-evangelical backgrounds who were effectively evangelized by the Bible. God and His Word are powerful to overcome these evils, but that is not His main plan for reaching the world. We should act in true faith and that is the most powerful testimony.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of my bible translations included passage headings to give a quick idea of the subject matter and used the heading "true religion" for Isaiah chapter 58, which actually covers the topic of fasting that is pleasing to God and contrasts it with religious hypocrisy. The chapter headings are obviously uninspired descriptions from a translator or editor, but the passage is more edifying than those few verses from the epistle of James.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The changing meaning of words causes seemingly even greater communication problems. I believe I have seen on this forum people who really essentially agreed waste a lot of time in argument because each one had different definitions for the words they used in conversation. Who does it help when those who might be on the Lord's side together spin their wheels like that?

"He that hath ears to hear, let him hear."

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I read through your article. I think the main thing that makes so much of Christianity "empty" these days is just that the manifest presence of God plays so little part in it. We can sit in the pews, sing, listen to a sermon, go through the motions, and yet it's a form of Christianity that is utterly bereft of anything resembling the supernatural power of God. Yet everyone seems fine with it.

The text more literally reads, "pure religion and undefiled before God," and in order to be undefiled, the presence of demonic spirits needs to be driven off. And that's not going to happen without the power of God moving in instead.

Like in James, too much lip service to God, and not enough of a faith that manifests itself as a realty.

Last edited:

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus
The changing meaning of words causes seemingly even greater communication problems. I believe I have seen on this forum people who really essentially agreed waste a lot of time in argument because each one had different definitions for the words they used in conversation. Who does it help when those who might be on the Lord's side together spin their wheels like that?

I know, I worked for a large Christian organization and one of the best things they did was write a large policy manual that started with a definition of terms. This was very helpful for those joining the organization to understand what they are joining. It might be helpful for Churches to do something similar in a membership class.

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus
I read through your article. I think the main thing that makes so much of Christianity "empty" these days is just that the manifest presence of God plays so little part in it. We can sit in the pews, sing, listen to a sermon, go through the motions, and yet it's a form of Christianity that is utterly bereft of anything resembling the supernatural power of God. Yet everyone seems fine with it.

The text more literally reads, "pure religion and undefiled before God," and ion order to be undefiled, the presence of demonic spirits needs to be driven off. And that's not going to happen without the supernatural power of God moving in instead.

Like in James, too much lip service to God, and not enough of a faith that manifests itself as a realty.
Years ago, the author John Fischer wrote a book, Making Real What I Already Believe, he talked about the idea of a borrowed faith, that isn't really personal and real in our own life. It's a good concept. People learn faith from their church or their parents, but unless their lives are really transformed by Christ, they are missing out on the true joy of a life lived with him and their community is missing out on the benefit of having more "true worshippers" in their community.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know, I worked for a large Christian organization and one of the best things they did was write a large policy manual that started with a definition of terms. This was very helpful for those joining the organization to understand what they are joining. It might be helpful for Churches to do something similar in a membership class.
For the various church groups to do something like this might be helpful for communication sake. Unfortunately while communication is good, compromise is not. When a person changes his mind about a particular doctrine or in his understanding of a verse of scripture it should be because he has really moved or been moved closer to God. Too many here on this forum and elsewhere presume that if they are the most knowledgeable Bible student and the best debater they should be able to swing most everyone else over to their way of thinking and believing. Not every one had the ability of an Einstein to learn and retain what they read and study. In the classrooms of men the 'smarter' ones according to the flesh may get the "A"s but that is Not how God works. Each of us needs to use what God has provided as best we can and lean all of the more heavily on Him. The Way is open to anyone... not only to those with the highest IQ's.

Give God the glory!

Reactions: shortangel

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus
For the various church groups to do something like this might be helpful for communication sake. Unfortunately while communication is good, compromise is not. When a person changes his mind about a particular doctrine or in his understanding of a verse of scripture it should be because he has really moved or been moved closer to God. Too many here on this forum and elsewhere presume that if they are the most knowledgeable Bible student and the best debater they should be able to swing most everyone else over to their way of thinking and believing. Not every one had the ability of an Einstein to learn and retain what they read and study. In the classrooms of men the 'smarter' ones according to the flesh may get the "A"s but that is Not how God works. Each of us needs to use what God has provided as best we can and lean all of the more heavily on Him. The Way is open to anyone... not only to those with the highest IQ's.

Give God the glory!

Sound doctrine is so important for the health of a local Church. Ultimately, other than the family, the local church is the smallest entity that can really hold people accountable to their doctrine and understanding of Scripture. They should feel this responsibility to do it in a loving way and put it into practice. Teaching sound doctrine well and bringing correction lovingly and scripturally help the church to be healthy and "true".

Reactions: amadeus

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There are over 6.2 billion people on the planet earth.
Most of them would declare that they are religious in some way.

I don't follow religious spirits.
I am a follower of Jesus Christ, which classifies me as a Christian....a born again Christian.
Christ said you must be born again. He did not say you need to be religious.
The pharisees were "religious" according to scripture.
Christianity, i.o.w is not a religion, it's a relationship with Christ.

Reactions: APAK and shortangel

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Give God the glory!

If you consider Luke 21:15 and Acts of the Apostles 6:10, I think you will see that it is the one who has the Holy Spirit who will be victorious in any given debate.

Reactions: ChristisGod

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I know that Mormons have definite changes in the meanings and definitions of words that they used so that, on a superficial level, they appear to be bearers of sound doctrine according to the Bible; but when you delve into how they define the words that they are using, it is anything but sound.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I lived in Istanbul (former Constantinople) for 19 years. You can definitely see the end of the road that state religion leads to. I do believe that wherever the Gospel is preached, taught or available, you will still find those who were called out by the Holy Spirit into true faith and belief in Christ. I met people from a variety of non-evangelical backgrounds who were effectively evangelized by the Bible. God and His Word are powerful to overcome these evils, but that is not His main plan for reaching the world. We should act in true faith and that is the most powerful testimony.

Religion is man's thing, trying to play act and appear holy.

Christianity is not a religion. It is the Truth. There is a difference, as there is only One Way of Salvation, and that is through the Blood of Jesus Christ shed upon His cross for the remission of sins of those who believe.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone is a "good guy" in their own mind... everyone is justified in what they have done or are currently doing. And when they join a religious group... even more so.

Christianity is different. But it still breeds this attitude inexhaustibly. Even thugs in prison for multiple crimes believe this though.
The thoughts of "I'm guilty. I'm not good. I'm completely wrong" just don't want to come out and play.
No one will explain in detail how one of the ways that they broke one of the ten commandments led to them breaking them all...no one wants to explain their sin and how deceitful their own heart truly is.
But it's still whitewashed tombs....pretty on the outside but full of decay and death on the inside.
We love to look good. Wear nice clothing, stay in shape, say the right words...
But inside of our heads our thoughts and desires for the decay and death betray what our outside looks like. We never want to admit how horrible of people we truly are.

But....

There's hope. We can make an effort to clean the inside of the cup. The battle isn't external it's internal. And it's a bare knuckle brutal fight. Lots of pain involved in this one. Ugly corners of our souls we don't want to even look at or ever admit to ourselves that exist must be cleaned.

It's not easy...it's not pleasant. We don't want to admit we are wrong or evil by nature.
But we are.

Oh. How easy it is to shift the blame..."it's not my fault because someone else forced me to". It's human nature...but the truth of blame shifting is that when you are under pressure you will fold like a cheap suit. You lack faith... you don't believe!

Every sin I committed was fun. I have no idea what people are talking about when they claim that they were miserable in their sins. I never was. I was having a blast. Makes me double check myself regularly today too. Because my heart has been changed...it's still deceitfully wicked...but I want better.
I can't be a Christian in isolation. It requires people. First word in the Lord's Prayer is "OUR". As in you aren't supposed to do it alone.

I'm one of those people who have been so corrupt I've never been one to subscribe to the notion of "fake it till you make it" . (Yeah...I'm really that bad) But many people are ones to try to act like one of the holy people until they believe it themselves.

We live in a sound byte, microwave dinner kind of world today with tons of instant gratification...this change is not instant. It takes time...an orchestra of crock pot cookery...but without the leave it and forget it setting...it takes constant stirring and attention.
Not many people will ever sign up for that.
Jesus knew that too. There's that huge tree and then the "netzer" or offshoot of one of the roots of the tree that Jesus is after.
There is lots of tree that overshadows that little offshoot.