What is "True Religion"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Quote: By historyb: I believe in praying to the Saints.
--------------------------------------------------------

There you go, that's religion.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We all start out with hearts that are deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked (Jeremiah 17:9).

But God can take the stony heart out of your flesh and replace it with an heart of flesh (Ezekiel 36:25-27); so that you have an honest and good heart (Luke 8:15, Romans 15:14).

I think that an honest and good heart will always keep in mind Jeremiah 17:9 and will be on the lookout for sinful thought patterns in one's own life.

Pro 20:27, The spirit of man is the candle of the LORD, searching all the inward parts of the belly.

1Jo 1:7, But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
James 1:27
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are over 6.2 billion people on the planet earth.
Most of them would declare that they are religious in some way.

I don't follow religious spirits.
I am a follower of Jesus Christ, which classifies me as a Christian....a born again Christian.
Christ said you must be born again. He did not say you need to be religious.
The pharisees were "religious" according to scripture.
Christianity, i.o.w is not a religion, it's a relationship with Christ.

If your a Christian your in a Religion like it or not. You don't want to be religious than leave Christianity. That relationship business was started by a man not God, you follow a man. God does not change, God created Religion and God maintains Religion now

Reactions: shortangel

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quote: By historyb: I believe in praying to the Saints.
--------------------------------------------------------

There you go, that's religion.

Yep, it's called Christianity. What Christ left through the Apostles and they handed down. You follow a man not God

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know that Mormons have definite changes in the meanings and definitions of words that they used so that, on a superficial level, they appear to be bearers of sound doctrine according to the Bible; but when you delve into how they define the words that they are using, it is anything but sound.
same with the JW's and the only way to have an effective conversation is to define terms. God means something different to them, same with Jesus and the Holy Spirit, the gospel etc...... So until you can find some common ground with the definition of words and their meaning you get nowhere.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you consider Luke 21:15 and Acts of the Apostles 6:10, I think you will see that it is the one who has the Holy Spirit who will be victorious in any given debate.

"For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist." Luke 21:15

"And they were not able to resist the wisdom and the spirit by which he spake." Acts 6:10

Very good verses! Consider also what our friend @Marymog has questioned many times: When more than one person claims to be speaking by the power of the Holy Spirit... and they disagree, which one should we believe?

Is the answer not likely to be that one of them or more than one of them is quenching the Holy Spirit at least part of the time? This is the double mindedness that both Paul and James mention. For this reason Apostle Paul warns us:

"Quench not the Spirit." I Thess 5:19

So then when two supposedly 'Spirit filled' people disagree, who is to have the final say? God alone! You or I can have are say and that may be fined for you, yourself or for me, myself, but have we never missed the Way along the way?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know that Mormons have definite changes in the meanings and definitions of words that they used so that, on a superficial level, they appear to be bearers of sound doctrine according to the Bible; but when you delve into how they define the words that they are using, it is anything but sound.
You speak specifically against the Mormons as if they alone were the only ones to ever err in that way. I have yet to find a single church group nor a single individual who has never erred. Maybe my own vision is also marred in this?Perhaps God will deal with the individuals [without regard to church group affiliation] as He did with Kings Saul and David. They both sinned. What was the difference? Would the difference be a reason why we, you and I, do not qualify to stand in judgement on others in the end of the matter?

@Jane_Doe22

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every person has their individual understanding and definitions they are using. That's an intrinsic part of being an individual and not the Borg. So options are:

- Lament on how we aren't the Borg (that seems really silly to me)
- Spend the time to study for yourself, striving to better personally understand God & His marvels better (facilitated of course by His Spirit).
-When conversing with others, spend the time to strive to understand what that person is saying, including unpacking key words.

Reactions: amadeus

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist." Luke 21:15

"And they were not able to resist the wisdom and the spirit by which he spake." Acts 6:10

Very good verses! Consider also what our friend @Marymog has questioned many times: When more than one person claims to be speaking by the power of the Holy Spirit... and they disagree, which one should we believe?

Is the answer not likely to be that one of them or more than one of them is quenching the Holy Spirit at least part of the time? This is the double mindedness that both Paul and James mention. For this reason Apostle Paul warns us:

"Quench not the Spirit." I Thess 5:19

So then when two supposedly 'Spirit filled' people disagree, who is to have the final say? God alone! You or I can have are say and that may be fined for you, yourself or for me, myself, but have we never missed the Way along the way?

There is always the possibility that neither person has the backing of the Holy Spirit for their pov...in which case the wrong pov my in fact prevail in any given debate.

But in the case where one or both people have the Holy Spirit, the truth will prevail.

If one has the Spirit but an unfaithful pov, that will be borne out in the conversation and the one who has the Holy Ghost and the right pov will prevail to convince the other one of the truth; for if both have the Spirit of truth, the one who is wrong is not going to reject the truth when it becomes apparent.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is always the possibility that neither person has the backing of the Holy Spirit for their pov...in which case the wrong pov my in fact prevail in any given debate.

But in the case where one or both people have the Holy Spirit, the truth will prevail.

If one has the Spirit but an unfaithful pov, that will be borne out in the conversation and the one who has the Holy Ghost and the right pov will prevail to convince the other one of the truth; for if both have the Spirit of truth, the one who is wrong is not going to reject the truth when it becomes apparent.
Ultimately the Truth will prevail, but we may not see it in every conversation like this one on this forum. Ultimately Jesus prevailed, but many who were there and physically witnessed his crucifixion never saw it.... even as most of the natural children of Israel who had been blessed during their 40 years in the wilderness, but in the end they never were able to enter into the Promised Land.

Give God the glory!

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yep, it's called Christianity. What Christ left through the Apostles and they handed down. You follow a man not God

Well good luck with you and your prayers to the "Saints".
I saw on another thread you like watching horror movies also .

And as far as me following man:....I follow Jesus.

And as Amadeus said: Give God the glory.

End of story.
No need to say more.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well good luck with you and your prayers to the "Saints".
I saw on another thread you like watching horror movies also .

And as far as me following man:....I follow Jesus.

And as Amadeus said: Give God the glory.

End of story.
No need to say more.

Sorry no, if you followed the real Jesus you wouldn't be what you are. You see you follow a human man not God. You think erroneously that Christ left nothing but a book that you can say what is what but the truth is Christ left a Church and put in the book put together by the Church that it is the Church that is the pillar and foundation of truth. That's right just the Church not every tom, dick, or harry can say they know the Bible just the Church.

You don't want to follow a Religion fine than your not really a true Christian either

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Real Christianity is not a religion but a relationship.

Religion is man's attempt to get to God through self-effort or some other means.

Christianity at its finest is God's attempt to get to man through His singular act of love in dying on the Cross for us.

Jesus is a Man, btw (John 1:14, 1 John 4:1-3, 2 John 1:7).

Reactions: Triumph1300

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sorry no, if you followed the real Jesus you wouldn't be what you are. You see you follow a human man not God. You think erroneously that Christ left nothing but a book that you can say what is what but the truth is Christ left a Church and put in the book put together by the Church that it is the Church that is the pillar and foundation of truth. That's right just the Church not every tom, dick, or harry can say they know the Bible just the Church.

You don't want to follow a Religion fine than your not really a true Christian either

Besides watching horror movies.....Looks like you are now also promoting halloween.