What it means--and does NOT mean--to "forgive"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
We are called to forgive all our enemies (including ourselves )

But what does that mean?

sometimes it seems that forgiving is the equivalent of condoning. But that is what our FEELINGS tell us. Obviously, we should not always go by our feelings. Maybe we should never go by them, meaning we should not go by them first, without thinking/praying.

So anyway, i have struggled with this, as i am sure everyone here has. I just absolutely hate some people (my feelings say) but when i think about it, i do not hate them b/c i do not wish them to go to Hell. That would be the ultimate in hating someone, no doubt.. to wish them into hell. But i have never wanted anyone to go to Hell. If you want to find out what Hell is like, read (google) St Faustina, Diary 741.

Anyway, if you can't forgive someone (been there), try just giving that person to God, in prayer. "Fake it till you make it"--as it were..

We christians are often too busy judging people to really love them... and there is no better way to love someone than to pray for him/her. Praying the rosary for someone is the best way (other than the Mass, but of course noncatholics dont get that...)

If someone is abusive to you, you do NOT have to keep that person in your life. Forgive, but GET OUT... "Have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness" says the Lord.. "Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers" (2 Cor 6:14, i believe)

B)

and i would add: get out wisely.. some people are extremely abusive/dangerous when you try to get out

wesOK

Apr 26, 2016
We have to be compassionate, kind, and forgiving. It is these characteristics that will give us happy and successful lives. We have to have compassion for ourselves and those we come across in everyday life. We must be examples of this Christlike behavior to our children and youth so they can carry the message even further than we do and we need the churches help to do it. We support our churches through tithing but sometimes that is not enough. Through fundraisers and programs like Cell Phones 4 Churches we can pick up the slack so our churches can afford the resources that are needed to better educate our children. Love everyone and treat others the way you want to be treated.

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
bling said:
Do not expect anything to change in them especially toward you.
yeh, that's for sure. It seems most cantakerous people i have known just want to stay that way.. If you dont agree w/ thm on this or that, they just say to heck with you. But then when you say to heck with them, or whatever.. when u dont want to play their games.. they call you unChristian or whatever

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I may forgive you for stealing my car, but I`ll still have you dumped in a river with a heavy stone tied around your neck for the principle of serving justice.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aside from your Catholic slant, i agree.