What Mormons Believe--according to a Former BYU Professor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However, since this thread is about Mormonism, their Jesus is also different from the biblical Jesus -- sometimes He is a created being, and at other times He is God.
This statement isn't actuate.

LDS Christians firmly believe that Christ has always existed and always has been one with God. There are disagreements with statements in the Creeds, but nothing with the Bible.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it would make more sense to discuss the official writings of the LDS. Look at them to find out what the LDS believe. What an "ex-Mormon" has to say doesn't interest me.

Obviously, I disagree. Who better to explain Mormon doctrine than someone who learned it so well (for 30 years) but now sees only the Bible as the word of God? A common criticism I have seen on threads that delve into the unbiblical nature of LDS theology is that the person making the criticism doesn't understand Mormonism. Lynn Wilder understands Mormonism!

I'm amused when I see posts like this. If this thread doesn't interest you, why comment? o_O

Last edited:

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obviously, I disagree. Who better to explain Mormon doctrine than someone who learned it so well (for 30 years) but now sees only the Bible as the word of God? A common criticism I have seen on threads that delve into the unbiblical nature of LDS theology is that the person making the criticism doesn't understand Mormonism. Lynn Wilder understands Mormonism!

I'm amused when I see posts like this. If this thread doesn't interest you, why comment? o_O
You could read things for yourself and have firsthand knowledge.

I'm somewhat fascinated by the psychology of someone who puts more emphasis on what a defector says than on what their official books say. Have you read the Book of Mormon? If you had, perhaps you would find things in it to criticize. I did, but that's not the subject of this thread.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You could read things for yourself and have firsthand knowledge.

I'm somewhat fascinated by the psychology of someone who puts more emphasis on what a defector says than on what their official books say. Have you read the Book of Mormon? If you had, perhaps you would find things in it to criticize. I did, but that's not the subject of this thread.

If you had read more of this thread, you would know that I have read things for myself. But I guess it's easier to pop in and give your opinion whether it's an informed opinion or not. You're welcome to comment on what Lynn Wilder has to say, but if you want this thread to cover something different, why not start your own thread?

LOL, the "psychology of someone who puts more emphasis on what a defector says...."??? :confused:

Last edited:

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you had read more of this thread, you would know that I have read things for myself. But I guess it's easier to pop in and give your opinion whether it's an informed opinion or not. You're welcome to comment on what Lynn Wilder has to say, but if you want this thread to cover something different, why not start your own thread?

LOL, the "psychology of someone who puts more emphasis on what a defector says...."??? :confused:
I also find your psychology interesting.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I also find your psychology interesting.

After studying psychology for years, I found that it's better to stick to God's word. There are as many theories in psychology as there are psychologists, and everybody thinks he's a psychologist. Just saying. :)

But this discussion really isn't on topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Willie T

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have on my computer, a very interesting survey of "Mormonism." Some of it was expected, but a lot of it surprised me.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After studying psychology for years, I found that it's better to stick to God's word. There are as many theories in psychology as there are psychologists, and everybody thinks he's a psychologist. Just saying. :)

But this discussion really isn't on topic.
Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Amen! You and I agree on this!

Reactions: Giuliano

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reactions: Willie T

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct. We use capital G for God and small g for false gods (including the god of this world). Even though this is an established fact, the New World Translation of the JWs makes Jesus (the Word) into a small g "god".

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god (John 1:1) (New World Translation)

How in the world can Jesus be "a god" without implying that He is a false god? Then they try to cover up their blunder with a footnote which says "Or was divine". But they do not believe that Jesus is God, so they are simply fooling the reader. If Jesus is divine, then He is God. But if Jesus is a false god then He is "a god".

It is evident from your response here that you have never truly studied the issue before, but rather have chosen to except as truth the teachings of the apostate church. You keep believing the babble your cult "Babylon" teaches you and you will continue to grope in the darkness of ignorance with the rest of the world.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This statement isn't accurate.
How can it not be accurate when I am quoting accurately from official Mormon beliefs? How do you understand the bolded portion other than that Christ was a creation of the Father just like He created other spirit beings (angels)? *Organized* is a rather peculiar term, but that is exactly what is said in
mormonbeliefs.org/mormon_beliefs/who-is-jesus-christ/

JESUS IN NOT GOD
"The Plan of Salvation teaches that God the Father is the father of our spirits, and that as spirits, we lived with Him before we were born with physical bodies into mortal life on earth, making us spiritually brothers and sisters to all who live on this earth. Christ’s was the first spirit organized by the Father. This could have happened eons and eons ago, since the Father has created “worlds without number” through the Word, who is Christ. (See Moses 1:33.)"

Who is Jesus Christ?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can it not be accurate when I am quoting accurately from official Mormon beliefs? How do you understand the bolded portion other than that Christ was a creation of the Father just like He created other spirit beings (angels)? *Organized* is a rather peculiar term, but that is exactly what is said in
mormonbeliefs.org/mormon_beliefs/who-is-jesus-christ/

JESUS IN NOT GOD
"The Plan of Salvation teaches that God the Father is the father of our spirits, and that as spirits, we lived with Him before we were born with physical bodies into mortal life on earth, making us spiritually brothers and sisters to all who live on this earth. Christ’s was the first spirit organized by the Father. This could have happened eons and eons ago, since the Father has created “worlds without number” through the Word, who is Christ. (See Moses 1:33.)"

Who is Jesus Christ?
LDS Christians aren't Creedal Christians, and disagree with parts of Creedal theology, such creation ex nihilio and consubstantiality.

LDS Christians firmly believe that Christ has always existed. He is the Son of the Father: a Son which grew more and more under the Father's guidance and love, and always submits to the Father. The Father likewise guided/mentored everyone else, but none one else remotely walked with the perfect unity with Father, being one with Him. Christ alone was/is the Only Begotten of the Father and the Firstborn.

Last edited: