What Mormons Believe--according to a Former BYU Professor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not think anything. He rose on Sunday. I told you your not going to like this. He definitely was crucified on Friday. You should let it go, you are not going to believe the explanation.

Okay, that's fine. :)

(Your explanation must be something mystical, eh?)

B

brakelite

Whenever we attempt to gather the meaning of a passage in Scripture, we must compare it with other similar or related passages. This allows the Bible—the inspired Word—to interpret itself. Since the term “heart of the earth” is found only in Matthew 12, and nowhere else in Scripture, we need to find similar verses to reference.

The phrase “in the earth” appears 66 times in the King James Bible, but none of these refers to the grave. For instance, in the Lord’s Prayer we pray, “Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven.” Does this mean we’re praying for God’s will to be done in the tomb as it is in heaven? No, of course not. Rather, it means His will among the people of earth—the nations of the earth—as it is done among the angels in heaven.

In the second commandment, we read, “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth” (Exodus 20:4). We easily recognize here that “in the earth beneath” does not mean in the grave, but rather in the world. Jesus also says, “Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth” (Matthew 5:5). Does that mean they will inherit the tomb?

I think you get my point.

In Matthew 12:40, the word “heart” comes from the Greek word kardia, which is where we get the word “cardiac.” According to Strong’s, kardia means the heart (i.e., thoughts or feelings [mind]); it also can mean the middle. Additionally, the Greek word for “earth” is ge. It literally means soil, a region, or the solid part or whole of the terrene globe (including the occupants in each application)—including country, ground, land, or world.

So the phrase “in the heart of the earth” can easily be translated as “in the midst of the world”--or in the grip of this lost planet—-that Jesus came to save!

In other words, in Matthew 12:40, the Lord is telling His disciples that just as Jonah was in the belly of a great fish, so the Son of Man would be in the central clutches of the world.

So in the context of 3 days and 3 nights in the grip of this liost planet... In the heart of the the corrupt kingdoms and under their control... Thursday night was when Jesus was arrested and came under the power and authority... Willingly of course... Of Satan's earthly kingdom.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, that's fine. :)

(Your explanation must be something mystical, eh?)

Out of fundamentalism :) It only matter so much. But the topic of biblical errors is something else. The most important functions of the Bible is faith, salvation, relationship with God etc....it does that. And if it does that for you and you like the thought that it is inerrant, what does it hurt.

Last edited:

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Out of fundamentalism :) It only matter so much. But the topic of biblical errors is something else. The most important functions of the Bible is faith, salvation, relationship with God etc....it does that. And if it does that for you and you like the thought that it is errant, what does it hurt.

The problem with thinking that the Bible could have errors is that we would wonder which verses are really reliable. Once you start thinking that some of it is in error, where does this stop? It becomes a house of cards.

I believe it's arrogant to think that if we don't understand some things about the Bible that there must be something wrong with the Bible. In reality, there's something wrong with our thinking.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem with thinking that the Bible could be errant is that I would wonder which verses are really reliable. Once you start thinking that some of it is in error, where does this stop? It becomes a house of cards.

I believe it's arrogant to think that if we don't understand some things about the Bible that there must be something wrong with the Bible. In reality, there's something wrong with our thinking.

Therein lies the problem. When I started my Book I setup a set of preconditions. I did not care what the truth was, just looking for the truth. The truth still takes you to God. But there is a transition from having faith in the Bible and faith in the truth. As you can see here on this forum, people will always argue the Bible. The truth stands up for itself. How do we know what day Christ was crucified on, because we know it was the day before Passover and Passover is calculated by lunar cycles....and we can accurately calculated lunar cycles. So it all lead to God....and now a days my buddies at Caltech and JPL will tell you they are running out of theories.....and things are looking very organized.

Last edited:

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many "inconsistencies" can be explained by the fact that a story is told from different perspectives. Some info may be included in one account that is not included in another.

Edit: Here's a link to an article I found that addresses apparent inconsistencies in the gospels.

12. Are There Contradictions in the Gospels? | Bible.org
Some of the explanations struck me as improable. I didn't see one of the biggest ones -- the matter of exactly what was written and hung on the cross.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then how do you explain the 3 days and 3 nights?
I have an explanation for this one. A great deal of confusion has resulted from people reading "sabbath" to mean "Saturday." The weekly day we call Saturday was called a sabbath, but so were some high holy days. The first three gospels omit saying which it was, but John tells us Jesus was crucified on the day of preparation of Passover and that the "high sabbath" was drawing nigh.

John 19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

That means Jesus was crucified and died on a Wednesday, and buried shortly before the sun set. I think he was in the grave almost exactly 72 hours being resurrected late Saturday afternoon before the sun set. None of the Gospels say he was resurrected on Sunday. They say that's when he first appeared.

This helps explain too why Jesus' body was not anointed properly. There wasn't time Wednesday evening, and Thursday would have been Passover. Friday would have been the weekly day of preparation for the weekly Sabbath with people cooking and so on. Saturday was out since it was the weekly Sabbath. Sunday morning would have been the first reasonable chance of doing anything. I see Jesus entering the perpetual rest on the Sabbath -- its original purpose -- and then appearing on the eighth day as a new form of Light.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ya, what do you think?
John had it right. What Pilate wrote offended the religious class a lot. If you form an acrostic of what he wrote in Hebrew, it reads Y-H-V-H. Of course the Jews were annoyed. I think Pilate was annoyed with them and did it on purpose. Also don't forget only John was there.
Therein lies the problem. When I started my Book I setup a set of preconditions. I did not care what the truth was, just looking for the truth. The truth still takes you to God. But there is a transition from having faith in the Bible and faith in the truth. As you can see here on this forum, people will always argue the Bible. The truth stands up for itself. How do we know what day Christ was crucified on, because we know it was the day before Passover and Passover is calculated by lunar cycles....and we can accurately calculated lunar cycles. So it all lead to God....and now it days my buddies at Caltech and JPL will tell you they are running out of theories.....and things are looking very organized.
Only John emphasizes the fact that it was the day before Passover. I think it reasonable to believe Passover was on a Thursday that year.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have an explanation for this one. A great deal of confusion has resulted from people reading "sabbath" to mean "Saturday." The weekly day we call Saturday was called a sabbath, but so were some high holy days. The first three gospels omit saying which it was, but John tells us Jesus was crucified on the day of preparation of Passover and that the "high sabbath" was drawing nigh.

John 19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

That means Jesus was crucified and died on a Wednesday, and buried shortly before the sun set. I think he was in the grave almost exactly 72 hours being resurrected late Saturday afternoon before the sun set. None of the Gospels say he was resurrected on Sunday. They say that's when he first appeared.

This helps explain too why Jesus' body was not anointed properly. There wasn't time Wednesday evening, and Thursday would have been Passover. Friday would have been the weekly day of preparation for the weekly Sabbath with people cooking and so on. Saturday was out since it was the weekly Sabbath. Sunday morning would have been the first reasonable chance of doing anything. I see Jesus entering the perpetual rest on the Sabbath -- its original purpose -- and then appearing on the eighth day as a new form of Light.

Oh this is going to be fun. You noted that this sabbath was a high sabbath. Do you know what that means?

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The gospel had been preached to the Jews since Sinai. And neither Jesus nor the thief went to Paradise on that day as far as I understand.
Why do you doubt it? If you know what Jews meant by Paradise, why doubt it. He meant he would meet him in "the Garden" -- where Abraham and others would be.

B

brakelite

Why do you doubt it? If you know what Jews meant by Paradise, why doubt it. He meant he would meet him in "the Garden" -- where Abraham and others would be.
I doubt it because that day is a supposition based on no other evidence than a comma... And that Jesus Himself said after His resurrection that He had no yet ascended to His Father. And the location of Paradise should not be ascertained according to what the Jews think, but what the Bible tells us... And revelation informs us that the Paradise of God is where the river of Life flows, and that River flows from the throne.