What Mormons Believe--according to a Former BYU Professor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My faith is NOT in the Bible. It is in the Lord Jesus Christ, who created the universe. If He can do that, then He can write a Book and make sure that it's translated correctly.
lol Which Bible? All of them correct at once? I do not have to tell you that the Jehovah Witnesses carry Bibles that indicate that Christ is not a God. But it is good to have faith lol Hey será, será Whatever will be, will be..The future's not ours to see...Hey será, será That is all part of it. I want to know the Word of God....you are loyal to a book.

You're not even making sense. It's too late for such nonsense.

Acts 16:32--So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household."

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look at this forum and see what people argue about. What's going on there? Why so much emphasis on knowledge and so little on love?
Finally, someone is making sense.

Why so little emphasis on love? That's what I would like to know. But who understands love? Do YOU??

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Cor 13

Love is patient, love is kind.
Love does not envy,
is not boastful, is not conceited,
does not act improperly,
is not selfish, is not provoked,
and does not keep a record of wrongs.
Love finds no joy in unrighteousness
but rejoices in the truth.
It bears all things, believes all things,
hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never ends.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Finally, someone is making sense.

Why so little emphasis on love? That's what I would like to know. But who understands love? Do YOU??
Jesus understood it, I think; and if we see him on the cross -- really see him -- we can also understand it.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think so, yes. I'll leave it up to God to judge me about how well I "know" it and act on it.
Okay, but just keep this list in mind, and ask yourself how you're doing according to this list.

• Am I being patient?
  • Am I being kind?
  • Am I not being boastful?
  • Am I not being conceited?
  • Am I not acting improperly?
  • Am I not being selfish? (That's a BIGGY, don't you think?)
  • Am I not being provoked?
  • Am I not keeping a record of wrongs?
  • Am I not finding joy in unrighteousness?
  • Am I rejoicing in the truth?
I'll just stop with these 10. This is a good start and something we could all stand to keep in mind.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but it sounds like you're saying that it doesn't matter what we believe as long as we have the right attitude.
Of course it matters what we believe, but what we do with what we have is more important than what we have. What if we do not have the love which God is?

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

I would have to say that what we believe would or should be based on what we have, or...? Do we have anything that God did not provide?

If we have the wrong attitude, that is the wrong spirit rather than the right Spirit, does what we believe matter?

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing." I Cor 13:1-3

Did this clear... or muddy the waters?

Last edited:

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course it matters what we believe, but what we do with what we have is important than what we have. What if we do not have the love which God is?

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

I would have to say that what we believe would or should be based on what we have, or...? Do we have anything that God did not provide?

If we have the wrong attitude, that is the wrong spirit rather than the right Spirit, does what we believe matter?

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing." I Cor 13:1-3

Did this clear... or muddy the waters?
Thanks for explaining. :)

Yes, I understand what you're saying.

Reactions: amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
1 Cor 13

Love is patient, love is kind.
Love does not envy,
is not boastful, is not conceited,
does not act improperly,
is not selfish, is not provoked,
and does not keep a record of wrongs.
Love finds no joy in unrighteousness
but rejoices in the truth.
It bears all things, believes all things,
hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never ends.
Great passage there! :)

B

brakelite

I think one perspective we must take into consideration here follows from what @amadeus was saying above... What we do with what we have. I believe that we are judged not by what we know our by what we don't know, but by whether we live up to the light we have. If we are informed of truth and reject it despite conviction contrary to our actions... Then we are in trouble.
If we accept certain truths but live the life of the hypocrite, then we are in trouble.
If we embrace certain false teachings because they just happem to harmonise with our dissolute lifestyle, we are in trouble.
If we embrace certain false teachings knowing them to be doubtful but because we deem it unprofitable or embarrassing not to... Or we place family interests or tradition before truth, and we refuse to search for a better way .. We are in trouble.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already checked out the site that stated the Bible was inerrant -- from Dallas Theological Seminary.

As for "false claims" about the Bible, feel free to tell me why the Book of Hebrews says the manna was kept in the Ark when it wasn't.

After reading the statement I mentioned above, I felt like this topic was worth revisiting in this thread. Everything in blue was taken verbatim from the statement, but it is only an excerpt. I've provided a link to the entire statement at the bottom of this post.

The "Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy" was produced at an international Summit Conference of evangelical leaders, held at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Chicago in the fall of 1978. This congress was sponsored by the International Council on Biblical Inerrancy. The Chicago Statement was signed by nearly 300 noted evangelical scholars....

A Short Statement

1. God, who is Himself Truth and speaks truth only, has inspired Holy Scripture in order thereby to reveal Himself to lost mankind through Jesus Christ as Creator and Lord, Redeemer and Judge. Holy Scripture is God’s witness to Himself.

2. Holy Scripture, being God’s own Word, written by men prepared and superintended by His Spirit, is of infallible divine authority in all matters upon which it touches: it is to be believed, as God’s instruction, in all that it affirms: obeyed, as God’s command, in all that it requires; embraced, as God’s pledge, in all that it promises.

3. The Holy Spirit, Scripture’s divine Author, both authenticates it to us by His inward witness and opens our minds to understand its meaning.

4. Being wholly and verbally God-given, Scripture is without error or fault in all its teaching, no less in what it states about God’s acts in creation, about the events of world history, and about its own literary origins under God, than in its witness to God’s saving grace in individual lives.

5. The authority of Scripture is inescapably impaired if this total divine inerrancy is in any way limited or disregarded, or made relative to a view of truth contrary to the Bible’s own; and such lapses bring serious loss to both the individual and the Church.

Infallibility, Inerrancy, Interpretation

Holy Scripture, as the inspired Word of God witnessing authoritatively to Jesus Christ, may properly be called infallible and inerrant. These negative terms have a special value, for they explicitly safeguard crucial positive truths.

lnfallible signifies the quality of neither misleading nor being misled and so safeguards in categorical terms the truth that Holy Scripture is a sure, safe, and reliable rule and guide in all matters.

Similarly, inerrant signifies the quality of being free from all falsehood or mistake and so safeguards the truth that Holy Scripture is entirely true and trustworthy in all its assertions.

We affirm that canonical Scripture should always be interpreted on the basis that it is infallible and inerrant. However, in determining what the God-taught writer is asserting in each passage, we must pay the most careful attention to its claims and character as a human production. In inspiration, God utilized the culture and conventions of His penman's milieu, a milieu that God controls in His sovereign providence; it is misinterpretation to imagine otherwise.

So history must be treated as history, poetry as poetry, hyperbole and metaphor as hyperbole and metaphor, generalization and approximation as what they are, and so forth. Differences between literary conventions in Bible times and in ours must also be observed: since, for instance, non-chronological narration and imprecise citation were conventional and acceptable and violated no expectations in those days, we must not regard these things as faults when we find them in Bible writers. When total precision of a particular kind was not expected nor aimed at, it is no error not to have achieved it. Scripture is inerrant, not in the sense of being absolutely precise by modern standards, but in the sense of making good its claims and achieving that measure of focused truth at which its authors aimed.

The truthfulness of Scripture is not negated by the appearance in it of irregularities of grammar or spelling, phenomenal descriptions of nature, reports of false statements (e.g., the lies of Satan), or seeming discrepancies between one passage and another. It is not right to set the so-called "phenomena" of Scripture against the teaching of Scripture about itself. Apparent inconsistencies should not be ignored. Solution of them, where this can be convincingly achieved, will encourage our faith, and where for the present no convincing solution is at hand we shall significantly honor God by trusting His assurance that His Word is true, despite these appearances, and by maintaining our confidence that one day they will be seen to have been illusions.

Inasmuch as all Scripture is the product of a single divine mind, interpretation must stay within the bounds of the analogy of Scripture and eschew hypotheses that would correct one Biblical passage by another, whether in the name of progressive revelation or of the imperfect enlightenment of the inspired writer's mind.

Although Holy Scripture is nowhere culture-bound in the sense that its teaching lacks universal validity, it is sometimes culturally conditioned by the customs and conventional views of a particular period, so that the application of its principles today calls for a different sort of action.

Source: Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As for "false claims" about the Bible, feel free to tell me why the Book of Hebrews says the manna was kept in the Ark when it wasn't.
Yes. Manna was indeed kept in the Ark of the Covenant at one time.

And Moses said unto Aaron, Take a pot, and put an omer full of manna therein, and lay it up before the LORD, to be kept for your generations. As the LORD commanded Moses, so Aaron laid it up before the Testimony*, to be kept. (Exodus 16:33,34)

"The Testimony" is another name for the Ark of the Covenant, in which the two tablets of stone with the Ten Commandments were "the Testimony". Therefore the Holy Spirit gave these words to Paul:

HEBREWS 9

3 And after the second veil, the Tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all; 4 Which had the golden censer, and the Ark of the Covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the Covenant [the Testimony]; 5 And over it the cherubims of glory shadowing the Mercy Seat; of which we cannot now speak particularly.

Now that you have the Scriptures, are you going to retract your false ideas? (not likely, but we shall wait and see).

Reactions: Prayer Warrior