What Mormons Believe--according to a Former BYU Professor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As Christians we are called to proselytize. It is not obvious to me by reading your post that you are proselytizing so for you to say you are not doing that is interesting to me.
Mary, I'm sorry that you so completely misunderstand the other Christians on here, but I really don't see you wanting to understand either, so there's no much point in conversation.

Have a nice day.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmmm.......according to your theory we don't have to know the right answer of what is written in Scripture to recognize a lie. Interesting theory....
A good understanding of logic and reasoning, and not just debating, can make those debates not only more interesting, but also more productive in my opinion.

It also matters whether one wants to increase people's awareness and understanding, or to just put others down.

Much love!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, that's not valid logic.

OK . . . calculators away . . .

"145,995 X 19,220 = 20"

Now, question, who knows that this equation isn't correct, even though you don't know the correct answer?

Just sayin' . . .
Does 145,995 X 19,220 = 2,806,023,900 OR does it equal 2,806,024,900?

I bet you had to pull out a calculator because you couldn't look at both answers to determine the right answer; the truth. My point is when a lie is obvious, like your analogy, then one doesn't need a calculator.

According to Scripture thou shall not steal, kill, covet etc. We don't need to pull out Scripture to verify that. We just KNOW it just like we know that 2+2=4.

I think we can both agree that Scripture is the truth just like 2+2=4 is the truth. To say that it doesn't equal 4 is a lie.

Scripture says that "baptism now saves you". Some Protestants say it does not save you. Is their answer a opinion or is it the truth?

If you say it is their opinion then that takes the truth out of Scripture. That relegates Scripture to ones opinion which means everyone is right. If you say their answer is the truth then how can we have two different truths? Either baptism saves or it doesn't.

You can't have two different truths in math soooooo your math analogy does not work....but I get the gist of what you are trying to prove. Would you like to try another analogy that works?

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A good understanding of logic and reasoning, and not just debating, can make those debates not only more interesting, but also more productive in my opinion.

It also matters whether one wants to increase people's awareness and understanding, or to just put others down.

Much love!
Hi Marks,

There are some things in Scripture that are hard to understand. Some ignorant and unstable men twist Scripture to their own destruction.

How do YOU decide who those unstable men are?

Curious Mary

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So Mary,

the Catholic Church teaches true doctrine - I agree with you. But what about the fruit? Frankly, the Mass, which is full of profound truth, unfortunately appears to promote a culture of indifference towards others, clericalism, and ‘doing the minimal necessary’ to remain in good standing with the church. Doesn’t this bother you? Bringing this back to Mormonism; I see a greater degree of care and concern for neighbor, a commitment to ministry and leadership from the body of believers and a greater degree of participation from the community.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Please help me increase my awareness/understanding and answer my question that you dodged: :(

According to you the CC does not meet your criteria for being The Church that was established by Christ.

Which Church meets YOUR criteria?

Patient Mary

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So Mary,

the Catholic Church teaches true doctrine - I agree with you. But what about the fruit? Frankly, the Mass, which is full of profound truth, unfortunately appears to promote a culture of indifference towards others, clericalism, and ‘doing the minimal necessary’ to remain in good standing with the church. Doesn’t this bother you? Bringing this back to Mormonism; I see a greater degree of care and concern for neighbor, a commitment to ministry and leadership from the body of believers and a greater degree of participation from the community.
Honestly, I think it is a sad truth that I have to attend a Quaker church for true Christian fellowship and adult education because I can find neither in my parish! Deny it if you want to, but it is fact

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So Mary,

I have neglected this thread. :(

You may see a high level of caring in Mormonism, but bringing this discussion back to the book by Lynn Wilder, she said that her Mormon friends failed her at a time when her son was very sick, the time she needed them the most. (I’m paraphrasing.)

She said the thinking in Mormonism is that if someone is suffering, they must have done something to deserve it. (Hmm, sounds like some Christians I know.) So...she found herself basically alone dealing with a difficult problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: aspen and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You may see a high level of caring in Mormonism, but bringing this discussion back to the book by Lynn Wilder, she said that her Mormon friends failed her at a time when her son was very sick, the time she needed them the mist. (I’m paraphrasing.)

She said the thinking in Mormonism is that if someone is suffering, they must have done something to deserve it. (Hmm, sounds like some Christians I know.) So...she found herself basically alone dealing with a difficult problem.

How very sad. Christians should NEVER be left alone in difficulties. True fellowship has gone by the wayside. I am so grateful to have a few wonderful Christian friends whom I speak to and pray with on a regular basis and, I do not know what I would do without them :)

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How very sad. Christians should NEVER be left alone in difficulties. True fellowship has gone by the wayside. I am so grateful to have a few wonderful Christian friends whom I speak to and pray with on a regular basis and, I do not know what I would do without them :)
I agree with you, especially about true fellowship. I’m not sure that this is being taught in many churches. It’s good that you have found this! My daughters and I have very good fellowship. We share our joys and our struggles. I’m so grateful for this gift!!

Reactions: Nancy

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
She said the thinking in Mormonism is that if someone is suffering, they must have done something to deserve it.
Sounds like Job's "friends". And even Elihu believed this. But God showed them all that they were totally mistaken.

Getting back to Mormonism. The truth is that it is a cult, with many strange and unbiblical beliefs.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like Job's "friends". And even Elihu believed this. But God showed them all that they were totally mistaken.

Getting back to Mormonism. The truth is that it is a cult, with many strange and unbiblical beliefs.
Yes, it does sound like Job’s friends. They misjudged him based on their own logic, not based on godly thinking.

I agree that Mormonism is a cult, and I have stated this. What they consider to be the “most correct book” is NOT the Bible; therefore, much of their doctrine is not biblical. When I have used the word cult, I’ve received some criticism for this.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You may see a high level of caring in Mormonism, but bringing this discussion back to the book by Lynn Wilder, she said that her Mormon friends failed her at a time when her son was very sick, the time she needed them the most. (I’m paraphrasing.)

Yes, it does sound like Job’s friends. They misjudged him based on their own logic, not based on godly thinking.

I agree that Mormonism is a cult, and I have stated this. What they consider to be the “most correct book” is NOT the Bible; therefore, much of their doctrine is not biblical. When I have used the word cult, I’ve received some criticism for this.

This is two problems/misconceptions ALL branches of Christianity have:
1) Errently thinking that everything bad happens is because you're being punished. Rather, it rains on the just and injust.
2) People are sinners. Yes, as points people will fail you, even when you need then extremely badly. That's because people are flawed sinners.

For a personal example: last year I had two miscarriages. Both with near lethal complications for me. My Evangelical best friend of 20 years literally abandoned me during this time and gloated over my loss. It was a betrayal that tramatized me just as much as the loss of my child.

Do I wave my hands and say "this proves Evangelicalism is an unchristian cult!" as you are doing here, @Prayer Warrior and @Enoch111 ? NO! I acknowledge that my now former friend as a flawed sinner and she made a horrible mistake that traumatized me. And still a daughter of God and a Christian.
People hate facing facts, which is rather unfortunate. And those who speak the truth are generally not welcome.
You receive criticism for hypocritical arguments, slandering others, and bad information (such as the above). Not for stating facts.

Last edited:

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For a personal example: last year I had two miscarriages. Both with near lethal complications for me. My Evangelical best friend of 20 years literally abandoned me during this time and gloated over my loss. It was a betrayal that tramatized me just as much as the loss of my child.

I'm so sorry to hear about your painful misfortune. I mean this. As far as friends go, I, too, have been condemned and abandoned by "Christian" friends and family. It is a pain that's hard to bear.

I will certainly keep you in my prayers, Jane. I love you with the everlasting love of Jesus! He never rejects us.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm so sorry to hear about your painful misfortune. I mean this. As far as friends go, I, too, have been condemned and abandoned by "Christian" friends and family. It is a pain that's hard to bear.

I will certainly keep you in my prayers, Jane. I love you with the everlasting love of Jesus! He never rejects us.
Should I renounce Evenglicalism as being a nonChristian cult based on my friends bad actions?

Because that’s the logic you used above.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is two problems/misconceptions ALL branches of Christianity have:
1) Errently thinking that everything bad happens is because you're being punished. Rather, it rains on the just and injust.
2) People are sinners. Yes, as points people will fail you, even when you need then extremely badly. That's because people are flawed sinners.

Do I wave my hands and say "this proves Evangelicalism is an unchristian cult!" as you are doing here, @Prayer Warrior and @Enoch111 ? NO! I acknowledge that my now former friend as a flawed sinner and she made a horrible mistake that traumatized me. And still a daughter of God and a Christian.

You receive criticism for hypocritical arguments, slandering others, and bad information (such as the above). Not for stating facts.

I'm sorry for your losses @Jane_Doe22
And, also the abandonment of your "friend". Nobody can hurt and disappoint like another "Christian"...it runs deep, especially when you know them for a good while.

Some might argue here but, would anyone agree that we, as Christians should be able to rely on one another for certain things. I too have been hurt very deeply by "Church" people. I cannot call them Christians as for the most part, their fruits were rotten. Not all of course but, several-and that can spoil the bunch!
God Bless,
nancy

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry for your losses @Jane_Doe22
And, also the abandonment of your "friend". Nobody can hurt and disappoint like another "Christian"...it runs deep, especially when you know them for a good while.

Some might argue here but, would anyone agree that we, as Christians should be able to rely on one another for certain things. I too have been hurt very deeply by "Church" people. I cannot call them Christians as for the most part, their fruits were rotten. Not all of course but, several-and that can spoil the bunch!
God Bless,
nancy
Agreed.
Each bunch of apples does have some rotten ones (we are sinners) but we should indeed strive to follow Christ and be there for each other.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should I renounce Evenglicalism as being a nonChristian cult based on my friends bad actions?

Because that’s the logic you used above.

You sound very bitter, which I understand. I have had to fight bitterness like the plague because it will eat us alive if we let it. Just take the love of Jesus that He put in my heart for you. It's genuine.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You sound very bitter, which I understand. I have had to fight bitterness like the plague because it will eat us alive if we let it. Just take the love of Jesus that He put in my heart for you. It's genuine.
I'd prefer if you'd answer my question.
In post 1728, you suggest that a group is a cult because of the poor behavior of one believer.
Should I listen to the logic you profess and renounce a group is a cult because of the poor behavior of one believer? In this case the Evenglism group.