What Order Should a New Christian Read the Bible in?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jaxy

Dec 30, 2022
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What Order Should a New Christian Read the Bible in? I have recently discoered faith and really want to read the Bible but not sure what order to go in fully!

Reactions: Mr E

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Don't start at the beginning - Genesis - or you will get bogged down. I suggest starting with the Gospel of John - the fourth book in the New Testament part of the bible and then just take it from there. There are no hard and fast rules - I have never read the bible from start to finish although lots of people do. And I would suggest you get a modern translation so that you will be able to understand it - the New Living Translation is a good one. Also a publication with a short reading each day. I use Our Daily Bread and they will post out free booklets each quarter. https://odb.org/ or you can read it online and there's other stuff too - these are some that I find useful.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't start at the beginning - Genesis - or you will get bogged down. I suggest starting with the Gospel of John - the fourth book in the New Testament part of the bible and then just take it from there. There are no hard and fast rules - I have never read the bible from start to finish although lots of people do. And I would suggest you get a modern translation so that you will be able to understand it - the New Living Translation is a good one. Also a publication with a short reading each day. I use Our Daily Bread and they will post out free booklets each quarter. https://odb.org/ or you can read it online and there's other stuff too - these are some that I find useful.

Great!

Love, Walter

Reactions: Nancy and Pearl

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s a good question! I think the advice of starting with John is a good one. Read about Jesus first. I read the Bible from start to finish but the first few times I read it I had no idea what I was reading. It was so confusing and like reading a phone book. When I got to the New Testament it read much easier. Now I read it from front to back and it makes more sense. And every time I read it I find something new.

The Holy Bible is an amazing book. Pray for the Holy Spirit of God to help you understand the Bible while you read it every time you read. I am just now starting to read extra biblical books but I wanted a really good understanding of the Bible before I went to other scriptures.

Welcome to the family and let your adventures begin!!

Reactions: Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Holy Bible is an amazing book. Pray for the Holy Spirit of God to help you understand the Bible while you read it every time you read. I am just now starting to read extra biblical books but I wanted a really good understanding of the Bible before I went to other scriptures.
Yes good point - ask the Holy Spirit to help you understand. And if you don't yet know about the Holy Spirit you will shortly if you read the scriptures. He is the Spirit of Jesus who comes alongside us to help us. He is also called the Helper.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a book Bible I have on me...would it be wrong to write in it?
Not at all! I am a very active reader. My Bible is filled with notes, underlined and highlights. I've even made my own table of contents, of verses that powerfully speak to me that I know I'll want to refer to time and again.

It is your Bible. Although the contents are sacred your paper copy is not. It is a tool for your use. Use it in a manner best for you.

Reactions: Nancy and Mr E

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have NIV book
The NIV is the biggest selling English translation in the world. It is a good combination of thought and literal translation.

Many here have strong opinions on translations. You won't go wrong starting with the Gospels in NIV. :cool:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should I then study the Bible like I would any text in English then?
With two exceptions.

PRAY
Before each time you read, say a prayer. As God to guide you in understanding what you are reading today, to understand what he wants you to get out of it. Hebrews 4:12 says the word of God is alive. And I have found it to be true.

Many have experienced reading the same verse after years or even decades and suddenly, it hits them like a ton of bricks. The connection the Spirit is making in your life between God's word and your understanding is a powerful and personal experience.

CONTEXT
You did not say if your NIV is a Study Bible. I find the study notes indispensible in understand the context. We must remember than although we live in the 21st century, the Biblical authors did not. Certain words and sayings have meaning to the author that is lost in our culture.

One example is when Jesus said he never KNEW somebody. He does not mean this literally. The Bible is a highly figurative book. And that makes understanding it often a profound mystery.

Don't rush through it. Enjoy immersing yourself in the mind of the author.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Order Should a New Christian Read the Bible in? I have recently discoered faith and really want to read the Bible but not sure what order to go in fully!

Opinions vary, of course.

Just to get some background, consider starting with the gospel of Mark. Perhaps not many would tell you to start there as it doesn't include the familiar Christmas story, for example--- but it's quite likely the oldest gospel account and the source from which the other gospels came into being, telling many of the same stories you'll find in Mark in slightly different ways at times.

The books that are in your bible are not placed in precise chronological order.

If the stories as told in the book of Mark were good enough starting points for those other gospel accounts, it's likely a good starting point for you.

Blessings.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have NIV book
That's my bible of choice too and I do write in it or underline passages that 'spoke' to me, alternatively you can use post it notes.

Jaxy

Dec 30, 2022
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I made this
[Image removed please read forum rules]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mr E

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Jaxy.. It is the Holy Spirit that stirs the interest in the Word of God. God's blessings as you read!

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Start with the Gospel of John, then read Ephesians. Afterward Matthew, Mark, and Luke. I don't prefer the NIV as it leaves scriptures out. the New Living Translation is a much better read and the New King James is best in bible studies.