What treats do you like to have at Christmas …..

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Stuffing sandwiches……………that just don’t sound very nice, but I may well try it out of curiosity !!!!

Reactions: marks

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OP ^

Over all, seeing the reflection of those gathered full of joy...

And homemade fudge. :)

Reactions: Rita

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I like fudge , never made it myself though. As I get older and I can’t eat toffee anymore ( the amount of times I have taken fillings out with it ) at least I can eat fudge without that fear !!
A friend makes a whole range of home made fudge at Christmas ……..must admit I do treat myself from time to time xx

Reactions: Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh for sure the good old English hot mince pies , cheese straws , and trifle …..my happy memories of Christmas .
No one seems to like them over here. :oops:

I would say, that is because, people do not know what those terms mean.

Off-hand...
Minced...means chopped up.
Straw.....is a means to suck something into your mouth.
Trifle.....means something of little importance.

First thought, is I don't want my pie chopped up, or suck cheeze through a straw, or make stale bread palatable by soaking it in wine or fruit juice...
It's sort of hangs on knowing or not knowing the cultural lingo...
Like an American saying to a foreigner....
We're going to eat Big Boy's and Slim Jim's...
Wanna join us...LOL

Reactions: Helen

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I would say, that is because, people do not know what those terms mean.

Off-hand...
Minced...means chopped up.
Straw.....is a means to suck something into your mouth.
Trifle.....means something of little importance.

First thought, is I don't want my pie chopped up, or suck cheeze through a straw, or make stale bread palatable by soaking it in wine or fruit juice...
It's sort of hangs on knowing or not knowing the cultural lingo...
Like an American saying to a foreigner....
We're going to eat Big Boy's and Slim Jim's...
Wanna join us...LOL
Lol
They could investigate, then they would know …….they would be able to discern that they are something else entirely. …

Reactions: Helen and Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like fudge , never made it myself though. As I get older and I can’t eat toffee anymore ( the amount of times I have taken fillings out with it ) at least I can eat fudge without that fear !!
A friend makes a whole range of home made fudge at Christmas ……..must admit I do treat myself from time to time xx

We have for years had get togethers ... especially for holidays...main meals prepared by the host, and other family and friends bring their tried and true "specialities"... of desserts, salads, hor d'oeuvers, side dishes, kiddie treats and even treats made for the hosts pets. All gathered in one place...
Yum, Yum, something for everyone to look forward to and enjoy.

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We have for years had get togethers ... especially for holidays...main meals prepared by the host, and other family and friends bring their tried and true "specialities"... of desserts, salads, hor d'oeuvers, side dishes, kiddie treats and even treats made for the hosts pets. All gathered in one place...
Yum, Yum, something for everyone to look forward to and enjoy.
Yes we use to do that, ut not so much at Christmas because I am usually working. My son and his wife do that on Boxing Day. I must admit that I am not a great cook so I don’t have much to offer……

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol
They could investigate, then they would know …….they would be able to discern that they are something else entirely. …

Sure.
I would say, a gathering of people bringing food of mixed customs is more like a "tasting" gathering than "eating" gathering.
We call them, "festivals". To go and experience a 'taste' of foreign, food, music, dress, dialects, language.
Interestingly...a person could travel within the US and pretty much experience the culture of most foreign nations...
American Indian, China, India, African, Mexican, South American, France, Italy, Ireland....but not so much, British or Russian.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes we use to do that, ut not so much at Christmas because I am usually working. My son and his wife do that on Boxing Day. I must admit that I am not a great cook so I don’t have much to offer……

Don't sell yourself short...
Most people are NOT great cooks, but no issue...planners, arrangers, decorators, tasters, cleaning up....etc. all contribute. :)

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Already mentioned....Egg nog...
Yum!

Another thing not typically high on the list of looking forward to...Fruit-cake.
Love it!! Don't want it sitting around turning to mold? I'll take it off your hands!! :)

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Don't sell yourself short...
Most people are NOT great cooks, but no issue...planners, arrangers, decorators, tasters, cleaning up....etc. all contribute. :)
Oh no, it’s fine. I never see it as a bad thing to know what you are not good at….I am good at a whole range of other things, but never really enjoyed cooking. It’s seems to be the boys in the family that love to cook.

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sure.
I would say, a gathering of people bringing food of mixed customs is more like a "tasting" gathering than "eating" gathering.
We call them, "festivals". To go and experience a 'taste' of foreign, food, music, dress, dialects, language.
Interestingly...a person could travel within the US and pretty much experience the culture of most foreign nations...
American Indian, China, India, African, Mexican, South American, France, Italy, Ireland....but not so much, British or Russian.
I would say we have many of those over here,including Greek , not Russian though and I guess the American side of things would be the burgers ect.
Had an amazing curry take away last night ………wonder why we don’t have Russian though , perhaps it’s boring !!!lol

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Some big juicy prawns and smoked salmon.

Ooh just remembered the prawn cocktails my daughter in law does for Christmas dinner as a starter……..
I have often Wondered how you lot ‘ down under ‘ cope with Christmas in summer. I use to watch Bondi Resue and everyone wearing Santa suits on the beach just didn’t look right..
So do you Cook the salmon and prawns on a barbecue ?

Reactions: Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ooh just remembered the prawn cocktails my daughter in law does for Christmas dinner as a starter……..
I have often Wondered how you lot ‘ down under ‘ cope with Christmas in summer. I use to watch Bondi Resue and everyone wearing Santa suits on the beach just didn’t look right..

Nope lolz, some people do though.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Idk how people go to Bondi in the summer haha, it's so crowded.

Reactions: Rita