What Was Israel Ordained For?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

My reading of Hebrews is fundamentally different. As regards the Old Testament system, the law was changed (Hebrews 7.12) and what we now have is better than the law (Hebrews 7.19).

The justified, on the other hand, are indeed present in different dispensations.
There were always born again believers in the OT. But now Israel is believers only.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
There were always born again believers in the OT. But now Israel is believers only.
Again, because Pentecost had not happened, and because the Spirit in the Old Testament did not indwell in the same sense as after Pentecost, the term 'born again' - very much a New Testament concept - does not apply in the same way in the Old Testament.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is meant literally...

Rom 9:6-8
6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:

7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.

8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

KJV

Paul never would have said that if he didn't mean it. The believing Gentiles inherit with believing Israel, just as Paul said there is neither Jew nor Greek, but ye are all one in Christ Jesus. Our Lord Jesus didn't promise to gather His Church in splits. See Isaiah 54. And notice Ephesians 2 he said the believing Gentiles through Christ have come nigh to the 'covenants' and 'promises'. What actually happened was the covenants and promises went to scattered Israel where The Gospel took hold. I think I've already pointed to this humpteen times on this forum, and few care to believe the Scripture prophecies on this, like what our Lord Jesus taught in the parable of the husbandmen in Matthew 21.

Hi Davy,

Farouk's post 112 sums up my understanding on this point.

I agree we are one in Christ, but not that Gentiles now become Israel, rather, Gentiles and Jews, in Christ, become one new man, Ephesians 2:15. And then as @farouk said.

I think the "children of promise" in relation to Israel refers to the children of Isaac as opposed to the children of Ishmael. Not all children of Abraham. And not all the children of Isaac, but Jacob, the chosen one. And not all the children of Jacob, but those believing (Romans 9).

I am curious about something, is it your view that all who believe are in fact physical descendants of Abraham? Not trying to put words into your mouth, but I know some think that, wondering if you do.

Much love!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Davy

I want to mention I'm still giving thought to the Ezekiel 37 passage of the 2 sticks. This does seem to carry the ball right over, past, the nation in Jesus' day. I may come to a different conclusion, but it makes a lot of sense that this connects the earlier dispersions to the later regathering, not just the latest dispersion. Follow me? I'm not sure I do! LOL!

Hmmm.

Much love!

Where was it, Jer.31 I think, where God said if the ordinances of the sun and moon depart, then the seed of Israel will cease being a nation before Him?

It's the remnant of the believing seed of Israel that will be gathered under Christ back to the lands God promised their fathers, not rebellious of the seed.

Ezek 20:38
38 And I will purge out from among you the rebels, and them that transgress against Me: I will bring them forth out of the country where they sojourn, and they shall not enter into the land of Israel: and ye shall know that I am the LORD.
KJV

God says there He will bring those rebels out of the country where they were scattered, but He doesn't say where He will place them, just outside the land of Israel somewhere. That is another pointer that Christ's Church of the believing seed of Israel, along with the believing Gentiles, will inherit the land of Israel per the promises first given Abraham.

Also Christ's millennial reign regarding the nations must be considered. During that reign there will be converts to Jesus, and it will be those I believe that will make up God's final Salvation Plan of Gentiles nations surrounding the land of Israel. Those nations will still exist during Christ's reign, as the end of Zechariah 14 does reveal.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another point I've tried to make on this forum is about the name... 'Israel'. The Jews want to try and make that name solely a national heritage label for blood birth, but actually it is a name for the Gospel Salvation. God gave this name to Jacob because he wrestled with the Angel and prevailed, for the word means to prevail with God's help, pointing to His Salvation ultimately. And then God's blessings that were first given Abraham were passed on from Isaac to Jacob. That involves God's Birthright promises first given to Abraham, including the Promise by Faith which God gave Abraham, which is about The Gospel of Jesus Christ. So God's concept of Israel has always been about His Salvation, not just blood birth. Paul showed this in that Rom.9 example when he said those of the Promise are counted for the seed, and in Galatians 3 when he said those of Faith have become the children of Abraham.

And how do you see the land promise? Does Israel possess the promised land in the age to come?

Much love!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I already pointed out "Joseph" stands for "Ephraim" (and we can only surmise why). Now kindly go to Ezekiel 48 and notice that Ephraim is Ephraim. So that settles the issue of the nations not being Ephraim.

You wish that were so, but it isn't. There's a reason why the name Ephraim is specifically left out in Rev.7, just as there is a reason why the tribe of Dan also is left out there. But in Ezekiel 48 they are in final added back in.

D

Dave L

Again, because Pentecost had not happened, and because the Spirit in the Old Testament did not indwell in the same sense as after Pentecost, the term 'born again' - very much a New Testament concept - does not apply in the same way in the Old Testament.
Here's how it works (abbreviated version) All in Hebrews 11 had faith because they were born again. Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. In Acts, born again old covenant Jews embraced the New Covenant and received the gift of the Holy Spirit they already had. The gift is the baptism of the Holy Spirit which comes from repentance at a New Covenant level. Far more stringent than the OT form of repentance.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Here's how it works (abbreviated version) All in Hebrews 11 had faith because they were born again. Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. In Acts, born again old covenant Jews embraced the New Covenant and received the gift of the Holy Spirit they already had. The gift is the baptism of the Holy Spirit which comes from repentance at a New Covenant level. Far more stringent than the OT form of repentance.
I would not use the term 'born again' in the same way to describe Old Testament saints, because they lived - as the justified - before Pentecost.

D

Dave L

I would not use the term 'born again' in the same way to describe Old Testament saints, because they lived - as the justified - before Pentecost.
Salvation was no different than for us today. The law was for wicked people to force them into submission under threat of death or exile. Abraham, Job, Abel or any other born again did not need it. But actually fulfilled it through love for God and people.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Salvation was no different than for us today. The law was for wicked people to force them into submission under threat of death or exile. Abraham, Job, Abel or any other born again did not need it. But actually fulfilled it through love for God and people.
My focus was on what is the church, rather than to question the true believer's justification by faith, in whatever dispensation.

D

Dave L

The entities are different, as 1 Corinthians 10.32 shows.
Not at all. Stephen calls them the church in the wilderness.
“And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.” (1 Corinthians 10:4)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Not at all. Stephen calls them the church in the wilderness.
“And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.” (1 Corinthians 10:4)
But it's not the post-Pentecost church (which ought to be a tautology); it's not the same, indwelt body of believers in the risen Lord from both Jewish and Gentile backgrounds that the Holy Spirit has indwelt since Pentecost.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where was it, Jer.31 I think, where God said if the ordinances of the sun and moon depart, then the seed of Israel will cease being a nation before Him?

It's the remnant of the believing seed of Israel that will be gathered under Christ back to the lands God promised their fathers, not rebellious of the seed.

Ezek 20:38
38 And I will purge out from among you the rebels, and them that transgress against Me: I will bring them forth out of the country where they sojourn, and they shall not enter into the land of Israel: and ye shall know that I am the LORD.
KJV

God says there He will bring those rebels out of the country where they were scattered, but He doesn't say where He will place them, just outside the land of Israel somewhere. That is another pointer that Christ's Church of the believing seed of Israel, along with the believing Gentiles, will inherit the land of Israel per the promises first given Abraham.

Also Christ's millennial reign regarding the nations must be considered. During that reign there will be converts to Jesus, and it will be those I believe that will make up God's final Salvation Plan of Gentiles nations surrounding the land of Israel. Those nations will still exist during Christ's reign, as the end of Zechariah 14 does reveal.

Sounds like we're on the same page on Israel's regathering. Can that be? ;) Saved physical descendants of Jacob regathered to the promised land to live in the blessings of the Sinai covenant during the kingdom age.

And therefore those living in Israel now are not the fulfillment, say, of Ezekiel 39's prophecy to regather all of Israel. That prophecy is fulfilled with all are gathered, none left behind, and they never have to leave again.

So basically your understanding is that there is are Jews and Gentiles being saved now into a single group of God's children, and that at the end of the age, the physical descendants of Jacob to survive the great tribulation, these, in believe and rebirth, return to the promised land to inherit the plot of ground promised.

Is that right?

Much love!
Mark

D

Dave L

But it's not the post-Pentecost church (which ought to be a tautology); it's not the same, indwelt body of believers in the risen Lord from both Jewish and Gentile backgrounds that the Holy Spirit has indwelt since Pentecost.
It's exactly the same. The only difference is that God broke of the unbelievers leaving only the believers.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Is this what this is about, you feel I was making fun of you? In my mind I was following the argument where it led when I look at the Scriptures. I apologize if it came across any differently.

Much love!
Mark

No mark, it is not about me either. It is about what is actually being said in Genesis in the Abrahamic Covenant.

As Stephen stated in his defence before he was stoned to death, that God had spoken to Abraham the first recorded part of the Abrahamic Covenant, as found in Genesis,12:1-3, while he was still in the city of Ur in Babylon probably when he was around 50-52 years of age and he left the land of Babylon shortly afterwards and travelled with his father in his father's household to Haran where Terah again set up his household at Haran. It was not until Abraham had set up his own household, servants and flocks over the next 20-23 years that Abraham then left his father's household/presence and began his journey south towards the Land of Canaan where Abraham then spent the rest of his days.

This covenant is recorded in Genesis.12:1-3: -

1 Now the LORD said to Abram, "Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to an earth that I will show you. 2 And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. 3 I will bless those who bless you, and him who curses you I will curse; and by you all the families of the earth shall bless themselves."

In Abraham’s first recorded encounter with God, God tells Abraham: -

(a.) to leave the land where you are living,
(b.) to leave his relatives,
(c.) to leave your father’s house,
(d.) to go to a “righteous” earth that he, God, would show him,
(e.) that Abraham’s descendants would become a great nation,
(f.) that God himself would bless him, (g.) that God would make Abraham’s name great and
(h.) because of that he would be a blessing,
(i.) that he (God) would bless those that bless him
(j.) and curse those who curse him, and
(k.) that Abraham would become a blessing for all the families of the earth.

Then in Genesis.12:7b God said, "To your descendants I will give this earth."

In Abraham’s second recorded encounter with God, God undertakes to give Abraham’s descendants the earth using the same Hebrew word “hā·’ā·reṣ”.

Then in Genesis.13:14-17:-
14 The LORD said to Abram, after Lot had separated from him, "Lift up your eyes, and look from the place where you are, northward and southward and eastward and westward; 15 for all of the earth which you see I will give to your descendants{seed} for a period of undefined time. 16 I will make your descendants as the dust of the earth; so that if one can count the dust of the earth, your descendants also can be counted. 17 Arise, walk through the length and the breadth of the land, in order for Me to give it.

In Abraham’s third recorded encounter with God, God promises to give Abraham’s descendants all the land of the earth around Abraham, that he had/could/would see, and He commands Abraham to go and walk through all the land. God also promises to make all his descendants many, such that their number would be like the dust of the earth and impossible, or at the very least, difficult to count. The promise is to give the land to Abraham’s descendants for a defined period of time where the start and finish of being given the land where Abraham has walked is not defined. The actual description of this land is found in Genesis.15:17-21.

It is important to note that in the third encounter, the same Hebrew word “hā·’ā·reṣ” is traditional translated as land, then as Earth and as then as earth again. If the context of the second and third use dictates that “hā·’ā·reṣ” should be understood to have the meaning of “the earth” then why has the first “hā·’ā·reṣ” in the Genesis.13:14-17 been translated as “land”?

Marks, you have said that you have done a word study on “hā·’ā·reṣ”, but I would suggest that you have not gone deeply enough in the word study to understand the importance of what I am posting.

Shalom

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Look at it objectively. Who fulfills the promise to Abraham? The Church (Israel) or secular Israel?

Actually, it will be all of Israel, after God turns his gaze back upon them and redeems them. If they are secular before they are redeemed then their testimony of God's forgiveness will be worth listening to by everyone else, even the so called Christians.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If the context of the second and third use dictates that “hā·’ā·reṣ” should be understood to have the meaning of “the earth” then why has the first “hā·’ā·reṣ” in the Genesis.13:14-17 been translated as “land”?
It has been translated as "land" because that is exactly what it means in the context of the Abrahamic Covenant. The whole earth is definitely NOT in view in this passage:

GENESIS 15
18 In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates: [THE BOUNDARIES OF THE LAND CLEARLY STATED]
19 The Kenites, and the Kenizzites, and the Kadmonites,
20 And the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Rephaims,

21 And the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Girgashites, and the Jebusites. [ALL THESE NATIONS WITHIN THOSE BOUNDARIES]

So how about getting back on track and properly understanding the Abrahamic Covenant, which includes promises to the twelve tribes of Israel (indicated as "thy seed" over here)?