What Wouldn't Jesus Do?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I need to ask this question about the overall nature that defines the Christian.

Was Jesus teaching ultimately focused on transforming the believer into a pacifist by nature?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I need to ask this question about the overall nature that defines the Christian.

Was Jesus teaching ultimately focused on transforming the believer into a pacifist by nature?
When Jesus told his apostles to buy swords before his arrest, it wasn't to use them to defend Jesus, because when Peter did, Jesus rebuked him and told him to put the sword away....that "all who live by the sword would die by the sword". Substitute the word gun (or any weapon there) and you get the point.

He was transforming his disciples into "peacemakers" (Matthew 5:9) which is not the same as "peacekeepers". We know that "peacekeepers" carry weapons and sometimes drive tanks and kill people. That is not what Jesus was advocating.

He had given his disciples this counsel: “You heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ However, I say to you: Do not resist him that is wicked; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other also to him.” (Matthew 5:38, 39) Here Jesus was not teaching pacifism or denying the right of self-defense from bodily harm, but he was teaching that a Christian does not need to pay back blow for blow, retaliating, taking vengeance. (Romans 12:17-21) He was inculcating the principle of avoiding quarrels by not replying or reacting in kind. A slap on the cheek is not intended to injure physically but only to insult or to provoke into a fight. Jesus did not say that if someone strikes a Christian on the jaw, he should get up off the floor and hold the other side of his face for a target. What Jesus was saying was that if anyone tried to provoke a Christian into a fight or argument by either slapping him with an open hand or stinging him with insulting words, it would be wrong to retaliate. This is in harmony with the statements of the apostles, giving further emphasis to this principle. (1 Peter 3:9)

A "Peacemaker" is one who creates peace by being peaceful in his approach to all things. Jesus demonstrated how he maintained his peace even when the most awful things were said and done to him after his arrest. He took his peace to the grave with him, even after the most agonizing death.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
When Jesus told his apostles to buy swords before his arrest, it wasn't to use them to defend Jesus, because when Peter did, Jesus rebuked him and told him to put the sword away....that "all who live by the sword would die by the sword". Substitute the word gun (or any weapon there) and you get the point.

He was transforming his disciples into "peacemakers" (Matthew 5:9) which is not the same as "peacekeepers". We know that "peacekeepers" carry weapons and sometimes drive tanks and kill people. That is not what Jesus was advocating.

He had given his disciples this counsel: “You heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ However, I say to you: Do not resist him that is wicked; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other also to him.” (Matthew 5:38, 39) Here Jesus was not teaching pacifism or denying the right of self-defense from bodily harm, but he was teaching that a Christian does not need to pay back blow for blow, retaliating, taking vengeance. (Romans 12:17-21) He was inculcating the principle of avoiding quarrels by not replying or reacting in kind. A slap on the cheek is not intended to injure physically but only to insult or to provoke into a fight. Jesus did not say that if someone strikes a Christian on the jaw, he should get up off the floor and hold the other side of his face for a target. What Jesus was saying was that if anyone tried to provoke a Christian into a fight or argument by either slapping him with an open hand or stinging him with insulting words, it would be wrong to retaliate. This is in harmony with the statements of the apostles, giving further emphasis to this principle. (1 Peter 3:9)

A "Peacemaker" is one who creates peace by being peaceful in his approach to all things. Jesus demonstrated how he maintained his peace even when the most awful things were said and done to him after his arrest. He took his peace to the grave with him, even after the most agonizing death.
Today you have become my daughter.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Actually I am 250 year's old.

In dog year's.
That makes me 504.....
old
You're just a young'n....
whistling

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
might be pertinent to point out that flipping over some tables and whipping some butt was on the menu at least sometimes

dont you guys sleep? :)

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
might be pertinent to point out that flipping over some tables and whipping some butt was on the menu at least sometimes

dont you guys sleep? :)
I slept at a railway station for about 3 hours during the early afternoon, I am fine to go till the early morning.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I slept at a railway station for about 3 hours during the early afternoon, I am fine to go till the early morning.
LOL...we are Aussies mate....different time zone.

ETA: why are you sleeping at a railway stations? You homeless?
sad

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus expressed what is called 'righteous indignation' at the audacity of merchants extorting money for sacrificial animals right in God Temple.
He whipped the animals to drive them out.....he didn't whip the merchants, who would have been scurrying after their scattering livestock.

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Jesus expressed what is called 'righteous indignation' at the audacity of merchants extorting money for sacrificial animals right in God Temple.
He whipped the animals to drive them out.....he didn't whip the merchants, who would have been scurrying after their scattering livestock.
15So He made a whip out of cords and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle.

well whaddya know, hmm
i kinda liked the version in my head better! :)

Reactions: amadeus

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
15So He made a whip out of cords and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle.

well whaddya know, hmm
i kinda liked the version in my head better! :)
Try and do that at any Christian book store today, and you'll be sent off to see a judge or a rubber room.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Needed to de-stress.
I could think of quieter places to de-stress.....:confused: Do you have no natural settings in which to de-stress? I have taken to watching YouTube relaxation videos with the sounds of running water and birds...it’s a wonderful de-stressor. :) You can forget that the ugly part of the world exists.....

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I could think of quieter places to de-stress.....:confused: Do you have no natural settings in which to de-stress? I have taken to watching YouTube relaxation videos with the sounds of running water and birds...it’s a wonderful de-stressor. :) You can forget that the ugly part of the world exists.....
Me thinks you wrote this post, to assure yourself rather than me.