What's in a Word

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dfj

Feb 10, 2011
Cordes Lakes, AZ
It's always interesting seeing how people react to differing viewpoints; some react well while others seem rather warlike; and such is the case with my inquiry about the English word "God".

What does the word "God" really mean?

When the English Translators decided to use the word God in John 20:28 what did they mean by it?

What did they think Thomas was really saying about Jesus?

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
It's also interesting how some dedicate themselves to re-writing God's Word.

Matthew 1:23 (NKJV)
[sup]23 [/sup]"Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "GOD WITH US."

Joshua David

Feb 10, 2011
It's always interesting seeing how people react to differing viewpoints; some react well while others seem rather warlike; and such is the case with my inquiry about the English word "God".

What does the word "God" really mean?

When the English Translators decided to use the word God in John 20:28 what did they mean by it?

What did they think Thomas was really saying about Jesus?

That Jesus was God.

Joshua David

dfj

Feb 10, 2011
Cordes Lakes, AZ
Matthew 1:23 (NKJV)
[sup]23 [/sup]"Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "GOD WITH US."

Another very interesting verse. Why wasn't Jesus called Immanuel?

By the way, Db, since you are following me around, you wouldn't by chance be part of the "Jesus" only movement?

Do you believe that Jesus Christ is "The Father"?

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Another very interesting verse. Why wasn't Jesus called Immanuel?

By the way, Db, since you are following me around, you wouldn't by chance be part of the "Jesus" only movement?

Do you believe that Jesus Christ is "The Father"?
I'm not "following" you. When Satan attacks God's Word it is the responsibility of Christians to speak the Truth.

Jesus only? No, I also believe in the Father and Holy Spirit.

Revelation 1:8 (NKJV)
[sup]8 [/sup]"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End," says the Lord, "who is and who was and who is to come, THE ALMIGHTY."

dfj

Feb 10, 2011
Cordes Lakes, AZ
I'm not "following" you. When Satan attacks God's Word it is the responsibility of Christians to speak the Truth.
There was certainly no attack on God's Word.

I will take it upon myself to forgive you, as the LORD says.

And I would caution you not to call satanic those whom you do not know.

Jesus only? No, I also believe in the Father and Holy Spirit.
Then we have no contest. Jesus Christ is the Word of God and all the fullness of The Father's Deity resides in Him

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
There was certainly no attack on God's Word.

I will take it upon myself to forgive you, as the LORD says.

And I would caution you not to call satanic those whom you do not know.

Then we have no contest. Jesus Christ is the Word of God and all the fullness of The Father's Deity resides in Him

I don't need forgiveness for defending the Truth that Jesus is God Almighty.

Matthew 18:20 (NKJV)
[sup]20 [/sup]For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.

year2027

Jan 17, 2011
God first

thanks David F. Jones

are you calling yourself a doctor?

the ones say Jesus was calling himself a God are right but if your the one of ones that say it means God with you are right too otherwise it depends on your beliefs

so you tell me

with love and a holy kiss Roy

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
the ones say Jesus was calling himself a God are right but if your the one of ones that say it means God with you are right too otherwise it depends on your beliefs
Not "a God", but THE Almighty God, the Creator of all that was created.

The Word was God. The Word became flesh and dwelt among us.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
When God speak it's Jesus...
When Jesus Speaks it's God...
Jesus is God's Word...
Jesus is God...

SIMPLE

Dr. Robbie Crawford... hahahah
Well said Doc! : )

John 21:17 (NKJV)
[sup]17 [/sup]He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?" Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, "Do you love Me?" And he said to Him, "LORD YOU KNOW ALL THINGS; YOU KNOW THAT I LOVE YOU." Jesus said to him, "Feed My sheep.

dfj

Feb 10, 2011
Cordes Lakes, AZ
When God speak it's Jesus...
When Jesus Speaks it's God...
Jesus is God's Word...
Jesus is God...
Without an explanation of what your terms mean, this sounds a lot like Sabellianism, (also known as modalism, modalistic monarchianism, or modal monarchism), or more like Unitarianism.

Both of which are anti-trinitarian.

The object of my exercise, regarding the term "God" was strictly academic and this is just the reason why.

Without a clear view of who God the Father is and who our LORD Jesus Christ is you will ultimately fall into one of the early church heresies.

Once again, Jesus Christ was "LOGOS", (The Word of God), incarnate.

Was Jesus equal to The Father in Divinity and Holiness? ABSOLUTELY!!!

Was Jesus Christ, "The Father". Absolutely not!!!

Jesus Christ is God The Father's only begotten Son who was crucified for our Salvation, was raised from the dead and sits at the right hand of God. Our propitiation, our Salvation, our LORD worthy of praise. He is Theos, Divine in the absolute sense, as the Father is Divine in the absolute sense.

Phil 2:5-11; "Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, (hós en morfeé Theoú), did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death, even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father".

dfj

Feb 10, 2011
Cordes Lakes, AZ
God first

thanks David F. Jones

are you calling yourself a doctor?

so you tell me

with love and a holy kiss Roy

Your welcome!

Am I called a "Doctor"? Only in academic circles where a Degree is recognized for dedication in study. I have a Th.D. and a Litt.D. in Christian Studies. I actually have an A.Th.D. which is "Applied Theology" rather than just the academic and more theoretical degree.

As far as your quote is concerned:

I agree, however, one would still have to ask what a person means when they use the capitol "G" when they say "God".

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Hey Doctor...

I hope you don't take offense to this but those big words you're labeling me with are pretty much worthless to me... haha

I just keep things simple... Jesus and the Father are one... The Word is God... if you've seen Jesus you've seen the Father... etc...

It's like this... when I speak I give birth to my word... and my word is as much me as my hand or eye... and I would say even more significant a part of me since the way people get to know me is through my word... I mean you could have someone sitting right in front of your eyes and without hearing their word you won't get to know them... or you can talk to someone on a phone and even though you've never seen them you can get to know them through their word... it makes sense that it's the same with God since we're made in His image...

It's also like this... the phone rings... you pick it up... you hear the voice/word of Fred... someone says, "Who's that?" do you say, "It's not Fred... it's just his voice" haha... of course not... the word of Fred is Fred.... and the Word of God is God...

Jesus is God's Word manifested in the flesh... so He was God manifested in the Flesh... if you've heard Jesus you've heard the Father.... and if you've seen Jesus you've seen the Father...

SIMPLE...

dfj

Feb 10, 2011
Cordes Lakes, AZ
Hey Doctor...

I hope you don't take offense to this but those big words you're labeling me with are pretty much worthless to me... haha

I just keep things simple... Jesus and the Father are one... The Word is God... if you've seen Jesus you've seen the Father... etc...

It's like this... when I speak I give birth to my word... and my word is as much me as my hand or eye... and I would say even more significant a part of me since the way people get to know me is through my word... I mean you could have someone sitting right in front of your eyes and without hearing their word you won't get to know them... or you can talk to someone on a phone and even though you've never seen them you can get to know them through their word... it makes sense that it's the same with God since we're made in His image...

It's also like this... the phone rings... you pick it up... you hear the voice/word of Fred... someone says, "Who's that?" do you say, "It's not Fred... it's just his voice" haha... of course not... the word of Fred is Fred.... and the Word of God is God...

Jesus is God's Word manifested in the flesh... so He was God manifested in the Flesh... if you've heard Jesus you've heard the Father.... and if you've seen Jesus you've seen the Father...

SIMPLE...

I agree with you 100%!

Sorry about the big words, but you may appreciate what the early Church went through with all of the miss-understandings they had. There exists a whole new Greek and Latin word vocabulary that was developed in those years just to try to explain who God is and who Christ really is.

You may not think that was at all important, but people were being murdered for having, what others thought, was the wrong Orthodox opinion.

If you have a chance, Google the terms I used and also look at the lives of Michael and Margaretha Sattler, (1527), http://en.wikipedia....Michael_Sattler

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Thanks David...

So crazy yeah that people murder over differences in beliefs about Jesus... sucks = (

It's almost like instead of us trying to figure out all these complicated things we should first be focusing on those simple principles like, "Don't kill each other because you have different beliefs" We really do strain on gnats and then try to swallow camels don't we...

Crazy... it's amazing how everything that carries power can be used for either good or evil...

Like the name Jesus... it's the name by which we're saved... but it's also a name that's been used to manipulate people into going to war and murdering each other...

SUCKS = (

It's scary to be the person that's brought offense to the name of Jesus... and if you look at every accusation that's brought against Jesus in the world today... they're all based on people doing the exact opposite of what Jesus told them to do... and doing it in His name...

Heavy...

dfj

Feb 10, 2011
Cordes Lakes, AZ
Thanks David...

So crazy yeah that people murder over differences in beliefs about Jesus... sucks = (

It's almost like instead of us trying to figure out all these complicated things we should first be focusing on those simple principles like, "Don't kill each other because you have different beliefs" We really do strain on gnats and then try to swallow camels don't we...

Crazy... it's amazing how everything that carries power can be used for either good or evil...

Like the name Jesus... it's the name by which we're saved... but it's also a name that's been used to manipulate people into going to war and murdering each other...

SUCKS = (

It's scary to be the person that's brought offense to the name of Jesus... and if you look at every accusation that's brought against Jesus in the world today... they're all based on people doing the exact opposite of what Jesus told them to do... and doing it in His name...

Heavy...

One of the reasons that the "Dark Ages" were so DARK!

But we do the same today. Our attitudes toward others when they don't have the same understanding as we do. The Catholics against the Protestants, the Baptist understanding over against the Charismatics. And so on. You can't get this division in in the Teachings of Jesus, Paul or the Apostle John's writings or anything in the NT.

In John 13:34-35, Jesus said; "A new command I give you: Love one another . As I have loved you, so you must love one another . By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another ."

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
For sure David...

If only we built everything on the commandment by Jesus to, "Love one another" ... we truly would then be the light of the world... and people would say, "I know they're taught by Jesus because they Love one another"

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Jesus is the Saviour. Only God can save. Jesus is sinless. Only God is sinless.

Matthew 28:19 (NKJV)
[sup]19 [/sup]Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the FATHER, SON AND HOLY SPIRIT.

All of Whom are the Almighty God. Whoever doesn't believe in Jesus/God does not have salvation. Is that important?

Revelation 1:8 (NKJV)
[sup]8 [/sup]"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End," says the Lord, "who is and who was and who is to come, THE ALMIGHTY."

Jesus is God.

dfj

Feb 10, 2011
Cordes Lakes, AZ
For sure David...

If only we built everything on the commandment by Jesus to, "Love one another" ... we truly would then be the light of the world... and people would say, "I know they're taught by Jesus because they Love one another"
That is what we were supposed to do. But as time went by and one by one the Commandments lost their importance.

John's writings are a very interesting study. How many times in John's writings does Jesus talk about following His commands".

John 14:15
John 14:21
John 14:23-24
John 15:10
John 15:14
1 John 2:3-5
1 John 4:19-20
1 John 5:2-3

"This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome,