what's the point anymore

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The term "Christian' was originally an insult leveled at believers in the church at Antioch.

Jesus said that Christians themselves would be hated by the world, in John 15:18-25. The apostle John repeated the teaching in 1 John 3:13-15.

If we are truly born again we will love other people who are also born again. If we secretly hate them, it should be a sign to us that we have not been yet redeemed.

Agree.
But I was speaking about this day and age..when people just call themselves "christian" in trying to push some agenda through.
Especially thinking of the political arena where those that want a vote say the word "bible' or something just to get the christian vote.
And as for the "hollywood style" hype Televangelists...they rob the silly sheep in the name of the Lord.
Those are the reasons I no longer like the term christian...it is cheap....unlike those before us who have died facing lions and gladiators...

...download-1.jpg

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I deal with the problem by making a distinction between "genuine bona fide believers with a living and saving faith" and the nominal, lukewarm, and/or shallow believer who may be merely a "pew-potato"

Reactions: LC627

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree.
But I was speaking about this day and age..when people just call themselves "christian" in trying to push some agenda through.
Especially thinking of the political arena where those that want a vote say the word "bible' or something just to get the christian vote.
And as for the "hollywood style" hype Televangelists...they rob the silly sheep in the name of the Lord.
Those are the reasons I no longer like the term christian...it is cheap....unlike those before us who have died facing lions and gladiators...

...View attachment 4031
So funny you say this today Helen, after services myself, my sister and 2 friends were chatting afterwards and talking about how the word Christian really has lost all meaning! So we, at least I, decided that we are simply, "followers of Christ" lol.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So funny you say this today Helen, after services myself, my sister and 2 friends were chatting afterwards and talking about how the word Christian really has lost all meaning! So we, at least I, decided that we are simply, "followers of Christ" lol.

Amen. I try to avoid the name "Christian" whenever I am asked ...Many places we can't avoid it. but....
In my life I have known many who say they are Believers...which they are....and I have known a few...Believing-Believers...those who actually are 100%'ers...committed as much as they possibly know how...to living the word. Believing that God is the same today as He ever was. :)

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen. I try to avoid the name "Christian" whenever I am asked ...Many places we can't avoid it. but....
In my life I have known many who say they are Believers...which they are....and I have known a few...Believing-Believers...those who actually are 100%'ers...committed as much as they possibly know how...to living the word. Believing that God is the same today as He ever was. :)
Yes, there are Christians and then there are christians. lol

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Michael, sometimes Christians have disagreements (see Acts of the Apostles 15:36-41), and I disagree with Willie T. here (post #146), to a certain extent.

I would encourage you to have a kjv and stick with it as a standard for you in English. Other translations are valid and may help you to understand what the kjv is saying if it becomes too archaic or something; but I have found certain flaws in doctrine in certain other versions of the Bible that make my own personal preference the kjv.

A short testimony: I began my Christian walk with the kjv and then someone suggested to me that I try another version. My walk with Christ went downhill for a long season as I went from version to version. Then when I returned to the kjv, my walk with Christ began to again begin looking up.

But I am not completely knocking other translations; as long as you also have a kjv to compare them to. I don't recommend reading other translations without also knowing how the kjv renders it.

I find the KJV easier to remember Scripture from than other translations. I like the KJV, NKJV and HCSB translation

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find the KJV easier to remember Scripture from than other translations. I like the KJV, NKJV and HCSB translation
The KJV was my first bible, given as a gift. It was well used and almost thoroughly Highlighted, lol. And that, just highlights all the stuff I DIDN'T highlight! Hahaha...Now I have several versions.

Reactions: LC627 and Willie T

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever noticed that the abbreviated way the KJV is often written (which was deliberately done to facilitate easy memorization), almost always requires further explanation of virtually any passage? And this is accomplished by the additional teaching of the more complete explanations that are usually found written directly into most modern versions.
My favorite example is Luke 14:26. If a beginner is not further instructed in what this very criptic verse means, they are totally confused, thinking it is required to hate your whole family in order to be a Christian.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and bbyrd009

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I think so too. I should get off here now for a short while as I am "an hungered" :D
Verily, verily, I say unto Thee that such need is not held in abeyance, nor secreted from those of us who likewise desireth sustenance upon occasion, lest we perish.
(In other words: "I hear ya!")

Reactions: Nancy

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not going to argue with you over the point as I think my testimony on the subject bears witness to the truth of the issue...see also Revelation 12:10-11.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever noticed that the abbreviated way the KJV is often written (which was deliberately done to facilitate easy memorization), almost always requires further explanation of virtually any passage? And this is accomplished by the additional teaching of the more complete explanations that are usually found written directly into most modern versions.
My favorite example is Luke 14:26. If a beginner is not further instructed in what this very criptic verse means, they are totally confused, thinking it is required to hate your whole family in order to be a Christian.
Indeed, and that is why I am always looking at other versions and dictionary's and the online Lex. So much can be misunderstood. Of course, prayer before study IMO is a must.

Reactions: Willie T and LC627

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed, and that is why I am always looking at other versions and dictionary's and the online Lex. So much can be misunderstood. Of course, prayer before study IMO is a must.

Prayer is a must. I've also found myself looking back at the KJV if the translation I'm using seems a little loose. Having several translations does help because there are something's that just go right over my head reading it in KJV lol