what's the point anymore

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
A Christian should not be reliant on any political persuasion or system because Christ's kingdom does not require political approval or endorsement. It does not rise out of, nor proceed upon, nor is it supported by worldly principles, and no worldly methods are made use of.

Joh 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Reactions: Mayflower and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Awww, indeeed, how are you going to avoid them there's like 2.2 billion of them... thats a lot of Christians you have to avoid.

You do know that that you are advocating for Satan here? You are trying to chase off a young man who is searching for what would be the most important decision of his life. Don't play with him like that. YOU WILL be held responsible for pushing people AWAY from God!

B

brakelite

@Mister Michael I was raised as Catholic, and like you, it was family history that bonded me to that particular system. Like JWs, the Catholic church does not like outside folk giving their members alternatives. Offer a Catholic a Protestant tract, and he may read it, but likely not...certainly not expecting truth, but read in order to critique. JWs as you will be aware, refuse all literature not of their own Watchtower origin.
In 1976 a friend asked me, "do you believe in God". I replied, yes. She then asked, "Do you think the life you are now living would meet with HIs approval?" That very night, alone in bed, I asked God to make my life something He would approve of. I woke up the next morning a different person. And the changes continue to take place...in character, in belief, in circumstance. And I regret none of it. If you give your life to God, let Him take over and lead you where He wants to. You won't regret that either. Just one word of advice. Always, always, in every circumstance and at every moment, stay honest with Him.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mike, you seem to be against something you are calling "Capitalism." Just what is it you think Capitalism is? This is a very serious question. Do you know that neither this internet nor your input device would exist without Capitalism? And, actually, neither would the variety of foods you can purchase to eat when you sit down to breakfast.

Reactions: Nancy

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Michael, sometimes Christians have disagreements (see Acts of the Apostles 15:36-41), and I disagree with Willie T. here (post #146), to a certain extent.

I would encourage you to have a kjv and stick with it as a standard for you in English. Other translations are valid and may help you to understand what the kjv is saying if it becomes too archaic or something; but I have found certain flaws in doctrine in certain other versions of the Bible that make my own personal preference the kjv.

A short testimony: I began my Christian walk with the kjv and then someone suggested to me that I try another version. My walk with Christ went downhill for a long season as I went from version to version. Then when I returned to the kjv, my walk with Christ began to again begin looking up.

But I am not completely knocking other translations; as long as you also have a kjv to compare them to. I don't recommend reading other translations without also knowing how the kjv renders it.

Reactions: LC627 and Mayflower

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mike, you seem to be against something you are calling "Capitalism." Just what is it you think Capitalism is? This is a very serious question. Do you know that neither this internet nor your input device would exist without Capitalism? And, actually, neither would the variety of foods you can purchase to eat when you sit down to breakfast.
It is a peripheral issue and has nothing to do with salvation.

But of course, we know that in some Communist countries, the body of Christ is oppressed because of the ideology of their economic/political system (Communism). So I think Capitalism is better, even if it isn't perfect.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a peripheral issue and has nothing to do with salvation.

But of course, we know that in some Communist countries, the body of Christ is oppressed because of the ideology of their economic/political system (Communism). So I think Capitalism is better, even if it isn't perfect.
NOTHING is peripheral if a teenager is thinking about it, and brings it up in conversation. This is one of the ways we lose so many kids... by insisting they may only discuss what we happen to want to talk about at the moment. They have a whole world to assimilate, and combine, and reconcile. Variety of thought is how they function at this point in life. We stifle them if we don't recognize and accept that fact.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Point taken...however, I would say to you that it is nothing that we would be called to argue over in contending for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints.

It is certainly something that is open for discussion; just don't get in a huff if someone disagrees with you over it like I would if they disagreed with me on something where their eternal soul hangs in the balance.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Point taken...however, I would say to you that it is nothing that we would be called to argue over in contending for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints.

It is certainly something that is open for discussion; just don't get in a huff if someone disagrees with you over it like I would if they disagreed with me on something where their eternal soul hangs in the balance.
Never mind. I guess you missed my whole point.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yep, and even when you are a believing Christian you still are not at the level of these other Christians. Who keep doubting everything you say in faith, it's like faith wars.

Don't you so often just hate the word "Christian" and what it has come to mean.
That is why some of us try to side-step the name "Christian"...
They were first called christians because they were a community and served ... they taught and lived "Christ" and His love.
Yet in this day and age..."christian" can be a name that we shy away from....it has been dropped in the mud, misused , abused, and many times used as a con.

I prefer to call myself a 'Believing-Believer'.... it supersedes all barriers , denominations, sects or religious factions.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wadr means "with all do respect." Bahaha I don't know if I was the only one who disnt know that coming on.

I like KJV, but most often use NIV or NASB, because of the wording. I have a Bible app I can read verses in diffeeent versions. I suggest starting in John.

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
They were first called christians because they were a community and served ... they taught and lived "Christ" and His love.
Yet in this day and age..."christian" can be a name that we shy away from....it has been dropped in the mud, misused , abused, and many times used as a con.

I prefer to call myself a 'Believing-Believer'.... it supersedes all barriers , denominations, sects or religious factions.
i am fine with using Christian cause it shows we are followers of christ but yes i understand that it seem to be watered down.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope i find him soon cause who knows what might happen.

If you prayed the prayer that I gave you to ask Him into your heart, then He came into your heart just like He said He would (Revelation 3:20, John 1:12, Colossians 1:27, Matthew 7:7-8, Luke 11:9-13); and you have indeed already found Him.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The term "Christian' was originally an insult leveled at believers in the church at Antioch.

Jesus said that Christians themselves would be hated by the world, in John 15:18-25. The apostle John repeated the teaching in 1 John 3:13-15.

If we are truly born again we will love other people who are also born again. If we secretly hate them, it should be a sign to us that we have not been yet redeemed.

Reactions: Nancy

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To not want to be identified as a Christian, impaho, is in essence a denial of Christ Himself. There may be exceptions to this rule.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The term "Christian' was originally an insult leveled at believers in the church at Antioch.

Jesus said that Christians themselves would be hated by the world, in John 15:18-25. The apostle John repeated the teaching in 1 John 3:13-15.

If we are truly born again we will love other people who are also born again. If we secretly hate them, it should be a sign to us that we have not been yet redeemed.
"By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." John 13:35