When is a christian NOT a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Thanks for That Bobby Jo, I guess u have watched the Exorcist once too many times.
we just interpret those passages now through a "Christian" lens in what we now deem a "church" setting i guess. But there is no reason those cant be interpreted into the everyday/practical.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Sure, for some it is merely a profession.
hmm, more likely for "many?"

Such as for those who cleave to some Trinitarian formula which denies that Christ could be an only begotten son in any other way other than metaphorically.
ah well we do have what reads like a literal account there at first anyway, bl; and we have a lifetime of "trinity" programming from our entire culture to overcome, too? So i mean i wouldnt be too surprised if there are accepted trinitarians too i guess? But see it only takes one bl, one in all of history, for you to be incorrect there, right? But you have now condemned them all, unequivocally?

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
RE:Have you such little trust in the faith of your fathers and mothers and the community that asked the gift of Faith for you?
Perhaps HE was with you all this time and that Faith finally flowered...~Phillip James to Miss H
Hi Miss Hepburn - nice to see you again.
I liked it because I believe infant baptism is valid and I think the post is addressing it.
I don't want to seem I'm talking behind
anyone's back, but then why didn't he say that?
If it is about baptism...I was not baptized until I myself...no community or mothers or fathers, no relatives...NO support,
just the opposite...
got Baptized as a Freshman in High School after regular RI, Religious Instruction..all by myself, despite...family
disagreeing to my choice of religion. No community, no mothers and fathers.
For anyone's information.
Hope to see you more aspen. xo

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If it is about baptism...I was not baptized until I myself...no community or mothers or fathers, no relatives.

Hello Miss H,
If you were NOT baptized then your statement: "went to Mass everyday, took Communion every morning, said the Rosary every single night.
BUT, I was not Born Again at that time...nor Baptized in the Holy Spirit, either."

Appears disingenuous. Only the baptized receive communion.

If I misunderstood, then i apologize.

Peace be with you!

B

brakelite

hmm, more likely for "many?"

ah well we do have what reads like a literal account there at first anyway, bl; and we have a lifetime of "trinity" programming from our entire culture to overcome, too? So i mean i wouldnt be too surprised if there are accepted trinitarians too i guess? But see it only takes one bl, one in all of history, for you to be incorrect there, right? But you have now condemned them all, unequivocally?
The question one must ask would God accept that profession... It ain't up to me. Now I could be all legalistic and start quoting verses such as this....
KJV 1 John 5
12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
... And say that anyone not having a complete and perfect understanding of what and who the Son is and how he is connected to the Father, must be condemned. But that isn't what I am saying. I believe Jesus was/is a literal Son pre incarnation. When scripture says God gave His Son, I believe He had a Son to give. A Son begotten in the normal sense of that word... Coming forth from, in this case, the Father. Not having an eternal past existence as the creeds etc state, although because He came forth from His Father, the Son has His Father's nature, which is immortal. Which makes Him God. A name He inherited from His Father. Does that mean everyone who disagrees with me is condemned if I'm right? Of course not. Nor does it mean I'm condemned if I'm wrong. God will condemn no-one who doesn't have a perfect understanding of the Godhead, because none ever will.
My main beef with the creeds and formulas are precisely because they by default condemn those who don't accept what they say, which is why I am a strong advocate for accepting what scripture says, and not making assumptions based on our crafting together different verses to come up with a single exclusive definition saying "this is what Christians believe", as if to say if you don't believe, you aint a Christian.

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
It never bothers me when people know me well enough to speak the truth, and they are right. It used to bother me when they presumed they knew me and spoke BS . In time I overcame that. So the 'our' isn't relevant.
i gotta confess you seem particularly hard to offend, bl! :)
As in the past, the time will come when those in our household will betray us.
well, i guess the v works on more than one level? And in the US at least, i guess there is a possibility on the betrayal, the literal betrayal tomorrow, but for today maybe letting truth fall by the way to spare ppls feelings is not always such a good idea? dunno.

ok them weeds aint gonna pull themselves i guess lol, i'll get to that one up there later ok, peace

B

brakelite

i gotta confess you seem particularly hard to offend, bl! :)
I must say I have blocked one poster here. Not because he offended me, but because he was simply obnoxious. But I must confess I haven't shaken the dust off yet .I can't help but un-hide his posts from time to time to try and make sense of ongoing conversations... But haven't been motivated to talk to him again but.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When scripture says God gave His Son, I believe He had a Son to give.

The moment He was begotten was at the conception spoken of in Luke 1:35. Before that He was the Father (and continues to be the Father afterwards; but before that He inhabited eternity).

God will condemn no-one who doesn't have a perfect understanding of the Godhead, because none ever will.

I don't think that that is true. I feel that the Lord has given me a strong understanding of the Triune nature of our God; but only because I emphasize His Oneness to the point that I understand how He can be one and three at the same time.

Call it arrogance if you wish; I just consider that the Lord has given me a revelation.

He will give the same revelation to anyone who gets baptized in Jesus' Name and also takes an honest look at the scriptures on this subject.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Miss H,
If you were NOT baptized then your statement: "went to Mass everyday, took Communion every morning, said the Rosary every single night.
BUT, I was not Born Again at that time...nor Baptized in the Holy Spirit, either."

Appears disingenuous. Only the baptized receive communion.

If I misunderstood, then i apologize.

Peace be with you!
This thread is about what makes one a Christian and baptism doesn't. Specially baptism of infants but that's up for debate on another thread,

Reactions: Hisman and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
RE: ''BUT, I was not Born Again at that time...nor Baptized in the Holy Spirit, either...''-Miss Hepburn
I have no idea what this means.
Hi @aspen, long time :)...but, why did you like this, it's the
only reason why I didn't pass over it...care to explain what on earth it means?
And God is always with me!
Oh, how I dislike riddles.

I believe , as they are both Catholic's, they are referring to the Catholic church.
i.e.
< "faith of your fathers and mothers and the community ">

Now you will understand. :)

Reactions: Pearl

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
RE: ''BUT, I was not Born Again at that time...nor Baptized in the Holy Spirit, either...''-Miss Hepburn
I have no idea what this means.

Hi MH!
It looks to me to be a reference to where some people pray for others, parents for their children, etc. But the crux is, YOU get to make your own decisions! :)

Bobby Jo

Reactions: Pearl

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The question one must ask would God accept that profession
well, so you say, but i would be considering the diff in what was literally written and our obv bad interp of it, that doesnt usually even come from the same root, myself. But confessions and professions do share one synonym, kinda like faith and belief too. So from past experience there and with con/profession, while no absolute truth in the matter may actually be proven as fact, imo it is the insistence on the interp as Absolute Truth that cannot even be debated that points to the truth in the matter. That profession is accepted must be true in order for the Standard Model to hold together, and the important subtlety in the diff in pro-and con-fession--made patently obvious at the beginning of their names even, right?--falls by the wayside immediately, huh

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
And not for your lack of trying? ;)
the truth is not, ever, accepted with much grace, bl, and on a forum we are prevented from the actions that irl would make our positions on a matter more plain? We are just talking, right? Whether we are communicating or not is a diff matter, but a point there is that not engaging with the pertinent concept being discussed, and like "accidentally" taking a post a different way from what was intended, can be used to conceal, or reveal, ok, and we have a test for this and everything, so imo at least consider how offensive it is to be drove around in that manner in virtually every reply if you would ok.

You know and i know that there are concepts vital to Christianity that we, you and i, just basically cant discuss right now right? I could approach the subject and us could watch you steer me away from it again if you like?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I must say I have blocked one poster here. Not because he offended me, but because he was simply obnoxious. But I must confess I haven't shaken the dust off yet .I can't help but un-hide his posts from time to time to try and make sense of ongoing conversations... But haven't been motivated to talk to him again but.
man, i have not figured out how to be at peace with ppl just like me yet either man, i tell ya what

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The moment He was begotten was at the conception spoken of in Luke 1:35. Before that He was the Father (and continues to be the Father afterwards; but before that He inhabited eternity).

I don't think that that is true. I feel that the Lord has given me a strong understanding of the Triune nature of our God; but only because I emphasize His Oneness to the point that I understand how He can be one and three at the same time.

Call it arrogance if you wish; I just consider that the Lord has given me a revelation.

He will give the same revelation to anyone who gets baptized in Jesus' Name and also takes an honest look at the scriptures on this subject.
manna sucks huh jbf

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The question one must ask would God accept that profession... It ain't up to me. Now I could be all legalistic and start quoting verses such as this....
KJV 1 John 5
12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
... And say that anyone not having a complete and perfect understanding of what and who the Son is and how he is connected to the Father, must be condemned. But that isn't what I am saying. I believe Jesus was/is a literal Son pre incarnation. When scripture says God gave His Son, I believe He had a Son to give. A Son begotten in the normal sense of that word... Coming forth from, in this case, the Father. Not having an eternal past existence as the creeds etc state, although because He came forth from His Father, the Son has His Father's nature, which is immortal. Which makes Him God. A name He inherited from His Father. Does that mean everyone who disagrees with me is condemned if I'm right? Of course not. Nor does it mean I'm condemned if I'm wrong. God will condemn no-one who doesn't have a perfect understanding of the Godhead, because none ever will.
My main beef with the creeds and formulas are precisely because they by default condemn those who don't accept what they say, which is why I am a strong advocate for accepting what scripture says, and not making assumptions based on our crafting together different verses to come up with a single exclusive definition saying "this is what Christians believe", as if to say if you don't believe, you aint a Christian.

thumbup1[1].gif

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe , as they are both Catholic's, they are referring to the Catholic church.
i.e.
< "faith of your fathers and mothers and the community ">

Now you will understand. :)
I also think it means like myself it was the Catholic Church that brought me to faith in Jesus and from there one chooses his own way in the truth and being a Christian.