When Jesus said, “there is none good but one, that is, God.” did He mean nobody could be good?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Being perfected" is not perfect until the process of perfecting is complete. In choosing to die his perfection was revealed...until that death took place sin could have taken occasion in him at any time!
Nah, God created human nature

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Being perfected" is not perfect until the process of perfecting is complete. In choosing to die his perfection was revealed...until that death took place sin could have taken occasion in him at any time!
God didn't create everything and call it good but us. God created human nature. God created it to be what He intends. Like everything He created.
Why would God create human perfection if He intends humans to be flawed? The flawed nature created first then?

God leads perfect life up to higher perfection. Human perfection is in it is created to transcend; itself. To end in Heaven. From perfection to perfection. That makes sense to me.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can make false accusations all you like. John 1:1 makes it clear that…

#1. The Word was God.
#2. The Word was WITH God.

John 1:14 says the Word (God) was made flesh.

1 Timothy 3:16 confirms this truth in that God was manifest in the flesh.

How convenient. When a doctrine you don’t like appears in a verse, you can just say it was not really in the Bible by believing others who just so happen to believe as you do (or who do not believe any Bible on the planet is the perfect words of God). Actually, many doctrines were changed for the worse and not for the better in Modern Bibles. Westcott and Hort who were into Catholicism and the occult were the founders of the current Modern Translation movement we have now. Then the Vatican got involved themselves to change your Modern bibles even more (ever so subtly). Only the faithful KJB has kept 1 John 5:7 in the Bible. Of course even some KJB Only proponents have found a way to deny the Godhead (Trinity), too. So this really is not helpful for you.

No, no. Read John 1:1 again. It says the Word WAS God. The Word was WITH God.

Any child like reading of 1 John 5:20 will lead a person to conclude that Jesus is the true God just as it says.

You have to understand that the Godhead (Trinity) is monotheism (i.e. a belief in one God) and it is not Tritheism (a belief in three separate gods).

John 17:3, and John 20:17 are referring to God the Father (Who is one God and yet He is triune). So when we speak of a certain person of the Trinity, we are talking about how they are all one God (1 John 5:7 KJB).

Their is no Godhead that you speak of in the scriptures, no trinity, and when you speak about the word god be accurate about it. The scriptures say that there are many that are called God's in heaven and on earth but we know there is only one true God, he is the Father and God of Jesus, his name is YHWH. In scripture the angel who became Satan the devil is said to be a god, but it's a horrible thing to call the True God's only begotten Son a god, I don't think so. Jesus is a god but he's not the only True God YHWH, Jesus is the only begotten Son of YHWH God.

Yes, I understand what you believe regarding John 17:3 and John 20:17, that this is referring to God the Father, but all that teaches me about you and those who agree with you is that what God actually inspired to be written down with his Holy Spirit you imply is inaccurate because according to you, you're implying God's Holy Spirit should have inspired John to write down at John 17:3 is, "This is eternal life that they know thee "God the Father" and the one you sent forth Jesus Christ," instead of what John was actually inspired to write down by God's Holy Spirit which was, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent," and you're implying what God should have inspired John to write down at John 20:17 is, "Touch me not, for I have not yet ascended to, "God the Father." Go to my brethren and say to them, I ascend to God the Father and your God the Father," instead of what God's Holy Spirit actually inspired John to write down which was, "Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
I know what God inspired John to write down by his Holy Spirit is completely accurate, it needs to interpretation from anyone so Jesus saying, he has a Father and God which is his apostles and disciples Father and God is completely accurate and anyone saying Jesus is referring to, "God the Father" in these scriptures is just putting their private interpretation on a scripture. Don't get me wrong you have a right to your interpretation but that's all it is to me and I don't go by any human beings private interpretations. Like I said I believe what God inspired John to write down is completely accurate. I go by what God inspired John to write down not anyone's private interpretation of what God inspired men to write down. What God inspired to be written down is that the only begotten son of God Jesus Christ has a Father and God who is Jesus apostles and disciples Father and God. I know that the God the Jews recognized as the True God is YHWH. So YHWH God is the Father and God of Jesus and so YHWH God is the Father and God of Jesus apostles and disciples.

1 John 5:20 as I said, isn't saying Jesus'is God. I understand that many believe it does.
I know that believers in the Trinity doctrine hold that the demonstrative pronoun “this” (hours) refers to its immediate antecedent, Jesus Christ. They assert that Jesus is “the true God and life everlasting.” This interpretation, however, is in conflict with the rest of the Scriptures. And many authoritative scholars do not accept this Trinitarian view. Cambridge University scholar B. F. Westcott wrote: “The most natural reference of the pronoun houtos is to the subject not locally nearest but dominant in the mind of the apostle.” Thus, the apostle John had in mind Jesus’ Father. German theologian Erich Haupt wrote: “It has to be determined whether the houtos of the next proposition refers to the locally and immediately preceding subject, or to the more distant antecedent God. A testimony to the one true God seems more in harmony with the final warning against idols than a demonstration of the divinity of Christ.”

Even A Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New Testament, published by Rome’s Pontifical Biblical Institute, states: “Houtos": as a climax to 1 John 5 verses 18-20 the reference is almost certainly to God the real, the true, in opposition to paganism (1John 5:21).”

As the apostle John wrote, “the true One” is YHWH God the Father of Jesus Christ. He is the only true God, the Creator. The apostle Paul acknowledged: “There is actually to us one God, the Father, out of whom all things are.” (1 Corinthians 8:6; Isaiah 42:8) Another reason that YHWH is “the true one” referred to at 1 John 5:20 is that he is the Source of truth. The psalmist called YHWH “the God of truth” because He is faithful in all He does and cannot lie. (Psalm 31:5; Exodus 34:6; Titus 1:2) Referring to his heavenly Father, the Son said: “Your word is truth.” And regarding his own teaching, Jesus stated: “What I teach is not mine, but belongs to him that sent me.”(John 7:16; 17:17) YHWH God was the person who sent Jesus.
YHWH God is also “life everlasting.” He is the Source of life, the One giving it as an undeserved gift through Christ. (Psalm 36:9; Romans 6:23) Significantly, the apostle Paul said that God is “the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him.” (Hebrews 11:6) God rewarded his Son by raising him from the dead, and the Father will give the reward of everlasting life to those who serve Him with all their heart..(Acts 26:23; 2 Corinthians 1:9)
So as the scriptures show us that it's YHWH God who is being said is God at 1John 5:20.
So Jesus Christ acknowledged that his Father and God YHWH was the only one who deserved to have as a title, Good.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God didn't create everything and call it good but us. God created human nature. God created it to be what He intends. Like everything He created.
Why would God create human perfection if He intends humans to be flawed? The flawed nature created first then?

God leads perfect life up to higher perfection. Human perfection is in it is created to transcend; itself. To end in Heaven. From perfection to perfection. That makes sense to me.
That which is made of the earth, earthy can never be perfect until it's put to death and that nature changed!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus must have been talking about himself in the flesh because he was just as tempted as others were in that day, he had his very own will too. Jesus had his own will to do the Fathers will.

So can people do good in the flesh? Never.

That is why he stated that there is only one Good which was His Father, who is Spirit which Jesus was living by and through by his own choice to do so.

What a show of commitment towards the Fathers Will, and not one’s own.

Reactions: Daydreamer

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bible Highlighter said,
No, no. Read John 1:1 again. It says the Word WAS God. The Word was WITH God.[/QUOTE\]

What is first said at John 1:1 is, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God." Then in many Bibles, the second part of John 1:1 it's translated, "and the Word was God." Other Bibles translate John 1:1 as, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god."
There is a difference between, the expression "ton Theon" and theo's."

"ton Theon" is always used when talking about the true God. However "theos" can refer to the true God and false gods. Angels are also referred to as elohim(God) in scripture. You know as I do that the Hebrew word elohim can be used or translated as god or GOD. It can be used for the true God or false gods. However the scriptures confirmed that elohim is also used for angels. In the Hebrew scriptures the Hebrew expression, beneh ha Elohim, is translated sons of God or sons of the true God at Genesis 6:2; Job 1:6; 2:1.
The Lexicon in Veteris Testamenti Libros, by Koehler and Baumgartner (1958), page 134 says: "(individual) divine beings, gods." And page 51 says: "the (single) gods," and it cites Genesis 6:2; Job 1:6; 2:1; 38:7.

We also have to understand what John himself said concerning his gospel. That everything he was inspired to write down in his gospel which included John 1:1 was so that peole might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, not God.(John 20:31) John even shows us in his letters that he was inspired to write, he describes the Lord Jesus Christ at 1John 4:9 as the only begotten Son of God. When John wrote this he was not referring to Jesus Christ human birth or to him as the man Jesus, because the only begotten son of God as the Logos (Word) was with God in the beginning before the world was.(John17:5, 24) So at that time while in his prehuman state of existence John is inspired to write that Jesus is described as the "only begotten Son" whom his Father sent "into the world."

Bible Highlighter said,
How convenient. When a doctrine you don’t like appears in a verse, you can just say it was not really in the Bible by believing others who just so happen to believe as you do (or who do not believe any Bible on the planet is the perfect words of God). [/QUOTE\]

The evidence that 1John 5:7 has been added to scripture was discovered long before I was born. I do agree with the evidence, that it was added, you want to deny that evidence, that's your choice. People certainly have the right to choose to believe what they choose to believe. I've always, since I began reading the scriptures when I was young, believed what the scriptures say, that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God. I've never denied this, and never will. John 1:14 has always let us know the Word who is the only begotten Son of God became flesh(human). Those who believe in the Trinity deny the Word is the only begotten Son of God, but instead believe the Word is God so they believe it was God who became flesh(human) which means they deny the only begotten Son of God became human and came to the world of mankind and died for mankind.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BARNEY BRIGHT

I am not interested in your denial of how God reveals Himself in Scripture; And therefore, I am not interested in derailing my own thread and or having this debate with you endlessly. I am confident in what I believe the Scriptures say on that matter. But again, that is not the point of discussion of the question I asked within this thread. The point was whether or not we can do good just because Jesus said there is none good but God. The point of the question was not in reference to Christs deity (Which is obvious by many Scripture verses that you ignore).

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BARNEY BRIGHT

I am not interested in your denial of how God reveals Himself in Scripture; And therefore, I am not interested in derailing my own thread and or having this debate with you endlessly. I am confident in what I believe the Scriptures say on that matter. But again, that is not the point of discussion of the question I asked within this thread. The point was whether or not we can do good just because Jesus said there is none good but God. The point of the question was not in reference to Christs deity (Which is obvious by many Scripture verses that you ignore).

I know you truly believe yourself confident in what you you believe to be true. You think the rest of us are not just as confident as you are? I know that the scriptures tell me that there will be people in this world that we're living in who will confidently believe themselves to be Christians, who will honestly believe that they're do a sacred service for the true God, but no matter how confident they'll believe they're doing a sacred service for the true God, and no matter how confident they'll believe that what they're saying is scriptural, they will not be true Christians and what they're saying will not be in agreement with scripture.
The point is, how confident you believe you are isn't important to me. I can read, no matter how much you think I can't read scripture I can.
Jesus isn't YHWH God so Jesus didn't accept titles. The standard of goodness comes from Jesus Christ Father and God, his name is YHWH.

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That which is made of the earth, earthy can never be perfect until it's put to death and that nature changed!
Then Jesus' earthly life would have ended in death whether He chose to die or not?

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Then Jesus' earthly life would have ended in death whether He chose to die or not?
That's the condemnation he was under just as you are condemned to die whether you are sinful or sinless.

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's the condemnation he was under just as you are condemned to die whether you are sinful or sinless.
So, death isn't a consequence of sin? Death is natural to human life just as it is to the other animals?

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So, death isn't a consequence of sin? Death is natural to human life just as it is to the other animals?
True we die because we are mortal and we stay dead because we sin.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nah, God created human nature

o rly

Lo, this only have I found:
that God hath made man upright;
but they have sought out many inventions.

(Ecclesiastes 7:29)​