When suffering seems contradictory to scripture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

banjo71

May 9, 2011
IL
Psalm 84:11

For the Lord God is a sun and shield; The Lord gives grace and glory; No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly.

I do believe that we will suffer in this world. And the Bible tells us so, like in Romans 8:18-39. It begins with "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us." And Jesus said in John 16:33, "...In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world."
So what does it mean when God says in Psalm 84:11, "No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly"?

I used to think God was not withholding good, like financial stability, reasonable health, peaceful times, no persecution, etc...

Remember in Genesis how God looked at the earth He had made, and all the creatures and foilage and seas, and said, "It is good!" ? Well after the fall of man, the earth became as corrupt as sin had made Adam and Eve corrupt. And ever since, I really don't think God thinks financial stability, reasonable health, peaceful times, no persecution, etc... are as "good" as he means to describe "good" in "No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly." I really think God is referring to spiritual goodness, showers of mercy, love, inner peace, comfort, noble and upright things (like in Phillipians 4:8), and especially God wants us to focus on the righteousness of His Son Jesus. How He watches and leads us, how He gave up His life for us as a sacrifice for the world's sin, how He advocates on our behalf, His righteousness and His glory is like in Psalm 84:11 - "For the Lord God is a sun and shield; The Lord gives grace and glory." And since Christ didn't withhold any part of His life for us, the risen Lord is in us, and all those riches are in us! So we can say with confidence and thanks, "No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly."