Where did they invent that I AM is some name of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From your preferred translation:

The Voice​

Eternal One: 14 I AM WHO I AM.[a] This is what you should tell the people of Israel: “I AM has sent me to rescue you “

John 8:58​

The Voice​

Jesus: 58 I tell you the truth; I AM before Abraham was born. /////// More from The Voice @Wrangler

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't read in any Hebrew Scripture that God says His name is I AM. Who gave that name to God?
Hello ElieG12, Jesus spoke of Himself in this way:
Monday 12-26-22 2nd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tevet 2, 5783 6th. Winter Day

John 4:26, 5:43, 6:20, 41, 7:28, 29, 8:12, 23, 24, 28, 9:5, 39, 10:7, 10, 14, 36, 11:15, 25, 12:26, 46, 13:13:33, 14:3, 6, 10,

15:1, 17:10, 15, 16, 24, 18:5, 6, 8, 20:17

In The Old Testament Exodus 3:14-15, Exodus 6:2, Deuteronomy 32:39, Isaiah 48:12

Love, Walter and Debbie

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewG

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From your preferred translation:

The Voice​

Eternal One: 14 I AM WHO I AM.[a] This is what you should tell the people of Israel: “I AM has sent me to rescue you “
Yes and notice. No where does that verse say this is his name. Why do you pretend it does?

• Haha
Reactions: RLT63

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No Sir, we both realize that God is a spirit but Jesus is not only the Son of GOD but He is also what He says He is throughout the scriptures.
That vague statement reflects your eisegesis. Mark 1:1 does not say that Jesus is not only the son of God. Why do you go beyond Scripture in violation of Mark 7:13? Why do you pretend it is a mystery in violation of 2 Cor 1:13?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Reductio ad absurdum

Yes, I employ Reductio ad absurdum all the time. It is an effective method to show the absurdity of my opponents argument. It is not illogical but reveals the illogic of your position. Why is "The Big Guy" absurd but "I am" not absurd equating of one's name?

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Big Guy needs his 10%. Do you think "The Big Guy" is the Being's name?
Exodus 3 The Voice ;
Moses: 13 Let’s say I go to the people of Israel and tell them, “The God of your fathers has sent me to rescue you,” and then they reply, “What is His name?” What should I tell them then?

Eternal One: 14 I AM WHO I AM.[d] This is what you should tell the people of Israel: “I AM has sent me to rescue you.”

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I employ Reductio ad absurdum all the time. It is an effective method to show the absurdity of my opponents argument. It is not illogical but reveals the illogic of your position. Why is "The Big Guy" absurd but "I am" not absurd equating of one's name?
Almost every version has the same name. Even The Message;
13 Then Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the People of Israel and I tell them, ‘The God of your fathers sent me to you’; and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ What do I tell them?”

14 God said to Moses, “I-AM-WHO-I-AM. Tell the People of Israel, ‘I-AM sent me to you.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Almost every version has the same name.
Yes but it is not "I am."

It is common language usage to saying something about yourself IN ADDITION TO YOUR NAME. I might say who I work for if it is for my work. Sometimes I go to a business event for my wife's company. In mingling with her coworkers, I often tell them that I am the husband of who they work with. And then I tell them my name.

God did the same thing here - and you know it.

He said something unique about him, his eternal nature. Then, he actually stated his name. It's silly for you to pretend your name is "I am a PIA" when your name is clearly RLT63. :)

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes but it is not "I am."

It is common language usage to saying something about yourself IN ADDITION TO YOUR NAME. I might say who I work for if it is for my work. Sometimes I go to a business event for my wife's company. In mingling with her coworkers, I often tell them that I am the husband of who they work with. And then I tell them my name.

God did the same thing here - and you know it.

He said something unique about him, his eternal nature. Then, he actually stated his name. It's silly for you to pretend your name is "I am a PIA" when your name is clearly RLT63. :)
I AM has sent me. Tell the people I AM has sent me. It’s the name God wanted to be associated with. It’s not the only name, but it’s one.