Where did they invent that I AM is some name of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes but it is not "I am."

It is common language usage to saying something about yourself IN ADDITION TO YOUR NAME. I might say who I work for if it is for my work. Sometimes I go to a business event for my wife's company. In mingling with her coworkers, I often tell them that I am the husband of who they work with. And then I tell them my name.

God did the same thing here - and you know it.

He said something unique about him, his eternal nature. Then, he actually stated his name. It's silly for you to pretend your name is "I am a PIA" when your name is clearly RLT63. :)
The God of Abraham, Isaac and Joseph is more like saying The Big Guy. It’s not a name.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I don't read in any Hebrew Scripture that God says His name is I AM. Who gave that name to God?

You could start here..

Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his NAME?’ Then what shall I tell them?”

New International Version
God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”

King James Bible
And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It means that when Jesus states it; it’s the Word of God proclaiming through Yeshua by the Holy Spirit of God in which the Father was the one whom is the Father Yahweh; and being that Yeshua was the expressed image of the Father, it makes it clear that Yeshua being born of the Holy Spirit and of the Flesh, after having victory over all things giving all things back to the Father. Yeshua and his Father are one being the Father spoke the Word and the Word created. Which makes God who he is; the Lord God Almighty - by and through the Word - which was How God reconciled the world back unto himself by the Messiah who willingly came and died for the whole world on behalf of the Father and for the sake of many others.

Yeshua Yahweh Almighty?

But each have their respective place; as Jesus is the high priest also for us by and through the flesh, and he gives access to be able to get the Father sort of like the temple layout.

Outer court, inner court, holy of Holies.
Death coming in, newness of life by the resurrection of Christ, and relationship with having fellowship with the Father and the Son, by and through remembering and seeking in faith.

Idk how one wants to look at it but I know for myself I’m okay with it.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Names of God in Judaism
Judaism considers some names of God so holy that, once written, they should not be erased: YHWH, Adonai, El, Elohim, Shaddai, and Tzevaot; some also include Ehyeh.

Jesus gave us a new name to call God. It is Father.
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Some say Abba.
God has many names, He is who he is. And he is Father of us all.

Isa 9:6
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Luk 11:1
And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.
Luk 11:2
And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.
Luk 11:3
Give us day by day our daily bread.
Luk 11:4
And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.

1. God is called the Father
    1. of the stars, the heavenly luminaries, because he is their creator, upholder, ruler
    2. of all rational and intelligent beings, whether angels or men, because he is their creator, preserver, guardian and protector
      1. of spiritual beings and of all men
    3. of Christians, as those who through Christ have been exalted to a specially close and intimate relationship with God, and who no longer dread him as a stern judge of sinners, but revere him as their reconciled and loving Father
    4. the Father of Jesus Christ, as one whom God has united to himself in the closest bond of love and intimacy, made acquainted with his purposes, appointed to explain and carry out among men the plan of salvation, and made to share also in his own divine nature
      1. by Jesus Christ himself
      2. by the apostles

I prefer this name myself.
He is who he is, and he has many titles and many names.

Exo 6:3
And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

I wonder why God didn't share this name with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Exo 6:2
And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the LORD:
Exo 6:3
And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.
Exo 6:4
And I have also established my covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land of their pilgrimage, wherein they were strangers.
Exo 6:5
And I have also heard the groaning of the children of Israel, whom the Egyptians keep in bondage; and I have remembered my covenant.
Exo 6:6
Wherefore say unto the children of Israel, I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will rid you out of their bondage, and I will redeem you with a stretched out arm, and with great judgments:
Exo 6:7
And I will take you to me for a people, and I will be to you a God: and ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, which bringeth you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians.
Exo 6:8
And I will bring you in unto the land, concerning the which I did swear to give it to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob; and I will give it you for an heritage: I am the LORD.

Yᵉhôvâh, yeh-ho-vaw'; from H1961; (the) self-Existent or Eternal; Jeho-vah, Jewish national name of God:—Jehovah, the Lord.

So God gave this name to this group of people exclusively?
Sounds like it to me.
I still prefer Father.
And if Jesus said that's what we should call him, then sobeit.

Hugs

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It means that when Jesus states it; it’s the Word of God proclaiming through Yeshua by the Holy Spirit of God in which the Father was the one whom is the Father Yahweh; and being that Yeshua was the expressed image of the Father, it makes it clear that Yeshua being born of the Holy Spirit and of the Flesh, after having victory over all things giving all things back to the Father. Yeshua and his Father are one being the Father spoke the Word and the Word created. Which makes God who he is; the Lord God Almighty - by and through the Word - which was How God reconciled the world back unto himself by the Messiah who willingly came and died for the whole world on behalf of the Father and for the sake of many others.

Yeshua Yahweh Almighty?

But each have their respective place; as Jesus is the high priest also for us by and through the flesh, and he gives access to be able to get the Father sort of like the temple layout.

Outer court, inner court, holy of Holies.
Death coming in, newness of life by the resurrection of Christ, and relationship with having fellowship with the Father and the Son, by and through remembering and seeking in faith.

Idk how one wants to look at it but I know for myself I’m okay with it.
Something else about this got me thinking why Yeshua or Jesus was given a name above all other names; it’s in honor for God to honor the one whom was completely obedient in the flesh to bring forth the new covenant by having completed the Law of Moses; doing away with it so that all people as we are sinners come to Jesus and are able to have access to the Father. Because he makes us right with God by faith.