Where did they invent that I AM is some name of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't read in any Hebrew Scripture that God says His name is I AM. Who gave that name to God?

Reactions: APAK

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 3:14
God said to Moses, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”
Are you sure that THAT is what he said there? Remember he was speaking old Hebrew to Moses. Did he said "I AM ..." in English?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Are you sure that THAT is what he said there? Remember he was speaking old Hebrew to Moses. Did he said "I AM ..." in English?
I don't read my bible in old Hebrew I read it it in modern English.

Shemot 3:14 Orthodox Jewish Bible (OJB)
And Elohim said unto Moshe, Eh-heh-yeh ashair Ehheh- yeh (I AM WHO I AM); and He said, Thus shalt thou say unto the Bnei Yisroel, EHHEH-YEH (I AM) hath sent me unto you.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't read my bible in old Hebrew I read it it in modern English.

Shemot 3:14
And Elohim said unto Moshe, Eh-heh-yeh ashair Ehheh- yeh (I AM WHO I AM); and He said, Thus shalt thou say unto the Bnei Yisroel, EHHEH-YEH (I AM) hath sent me unto you.
Then you accept his name when you read in modern English

"I am Jehovah. That is my name" in Isa. 42:8.

Right?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am that I am, that is a statement to the Pharaoh and probably has some meaning to him personally. I'm not sure anyone is capable of interpreting it away from the Pharaohs understanding. But it meant something to Pharaoh.

Reactions: ScottA

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am that I am, that is a statement to the Pharaoh and probably has some meaning to him personally. I'm not sure anyone is capable of interpreting it away from the Pharaohs understanding. But it meant something to Pharaoh.
Have you read the full event? Pharaoh never thought that I AM was a name of God, because that was not what God told Moses to say, nor what he meant (Ex. 3:15,16).

Nor did the Israelites think that I AM was a substitute for God's name (Ex. 3:18; 4:5). At no time does Moses address God saying "Lord I AM", nor does he tell Pharaoh that his God is called like that (Ex. 5: 1,3).

Read Pharaoh's answer in your Bible:

Exo. 5:2 But Pharaoh said: “Who is Jehovah, that I should obey his voice to send Israel away? I do not know Jehovah at all, and what is more, I will not send Israel away.”

Did he ask "Who is I AM?" ...?

What is the real name of God in that whole account?

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you know that
the Hebrew expression
Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh
DOES NOT translate
"I am who I am"
into English?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you read the full event? Pharaoh never thought that I AM was a name of God, because that was not what God told Moses to say, nor what he meant (Ex. 3:15,16).

Nor did the Israelites think that I AM was a substitute for God's name (Ex. 3:18; 4:5). At no time does Moses address God saying "Lord I AM", nor does he tell Pharaoh that his God is called like that (Ex. 5: 1,3).

Read Pharaoh's answer in your Bible:

Exo. 5:2 But Pharaoh said: “Who is Jehovah, that I should obey his voice to send Israel away? I do not know Jehovah at all, and what is more, I will not send Israel away.”

Did he ask "Who is I AM?" ...?

What is the real name of God in that whole account?
Well it meant something to the Pharoah by the time he died. I go with the NKJV which states:

Exodus 3:14

New King James Version

14 And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ ”

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Then you accept his name when you read in modern English

"I am Jehovah. That is my name" in Isa. 42:8.

Right?
What has Jehovah got to do with this dicussion called: Where did they invent that I AM is some name of God?
Did you know that
the Hebrew expression
Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh
DOES NOT translate
"I am who I am"
into English?

Well, go on then, don't keep us on tenterhooks tell us what it means or what you say it means.

Reactions: atpollard and Nancy

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That Hebrew expression, Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh, is translated: "I will become what I will become" ... in future tense. It means He would do anything He wants, no matter what.

In the LXX that expression is translated: "Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν". Something like: "I am the being".

There is not any "My name is I AM" anywhere in the Bible.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That Hebrew expression, Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh, is translated: "I will become what I will become" ... in future tense. It means He would do anything He wants, no matter what.

In the LXX that expression is translated: "Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν". Something like: "I am the being".

There is not any "My name is I AM" anywhere in the Bible.
Same thing really as I AM meaning past present and future always the same.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's name may be Jehovah to some people, to others he may be Yaweh. But to all true Christians he is also Jesus.
Out of topic.
What has Jehovah got to do with this dicussion called: Where did they invent that I AM is some name of God?
If you said that you called God "I AM" because you think it is an English translation of a supposed Hebrew name of God, then you can call him Jehovah, because is also an English translation of his real Hebrew name.
... go on then, don't keep us on tenterhooks tell us what it means or what you say it means.
Now you know the truth about that I AM; it is not a name of God that he gave to humans, but an invention of somebody.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He didn't say: "My name is I AM", did he?
Exodus 3:14 was God's introduction ( I Am) to Moses and the Israelites that would later be fully revealed in Christ.
I am the way, the Truth and the life ...
I am the Bread of life
I am the Good Shepherd ...
I am the resurrection...
I am the door ...
I am thr Vine ...
I am the Alpha and Omega
I am He ...
He is the Savior, the Messiah, God

Who God is and what He does is more important than a name. If He just gave a name, what would that mean to Moses? He began introducing Himself first as the God of Abrahm, Isaac and Jacob. Moses still pressed for His name. "Tell them 'I AM' sent me to you." You ask for a name as if that will mean something to you?... I am the Creator, a supernatural being of a spiritual realm that you cannot comprehend, I am the source of life and everything that is good, I am so much more and I will reveal myself to you throughout history. I am infinite, all knowing, omniscient and omnipresent and hold all physical reality together. That would be too much for Moses to comprehend all at once. A name does not define you.
Jesus brought clarity to the world of Who God is, He showed them up close and personal.
YHWH has no vowels. It could be pronounced as Yahweh, Yahovah, Yeshua, etc. Jews did not want to mispronounce the name, because it is holy and so they used LORD. In the 16th century, scribes transliterated YHWH into the name Jehovah. They added the vowels of LORD (Adonai) to YHWH. It is a made up name. The name Jehovah was not uttered by Jesus or the Apostles. JESUS CALLED HIS FATHER, FATHER as He instructed us to in the LORD'S PRAYER.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Out of topic.
If you said that you called God "I AM" because you think it is an English translation of a supposed Hebrew name of God, then you can call him Jehovah, because is also an English translation of his real Hebrew name.

Now you know the truth about that I AM; it is not a name of God that he gave to humans, but an invention of somebody.
Who do you know that calls God 'I am? because I don't know anybody that uses that term for him even though I believe what the bible says. God has many names - like El Shadai.

Reactions: Nancy

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who do you know that calls God 'I am? because I don't know anybody that uses that term for him even though I believe what the bible says. God has many names - like El Shadai.
It is important to know the truth. A lot of people make an association of a supposed name of God "I AM" with Jesus saying "I am".

That is absolutely ridiculous, since that I AM is an invention.

God never said "My name is I AM" nor Jesus said "I am I AM".

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is important to know the truth. A lot of people make an association of a supposed name of God "I AM" with Jesus saying "I am".

That is absolutely ridiculous, since that I AM is an invention.

So what's your point why bring it up?

Reactions: Nancy and L.A.M.B.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That is absolutely ridiculous, since than I AM is an invention.

Is there any other point on knowing the truth that knowing the truth?

I am content that people know that such a name of God I AM is an invention, and that associating it with Jesus does not make any sense. Christians should be mature, informed people who are moved by biblical truth, not fanaticism.