Where do temptations come from?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are some who say that temptations come from the devil because when Jesus was baptized by John the spirit led him out into the wilderness and the devil came to tempt him. Eventually though in the narrative since Genesis, the promise of the devil was to be defeated and done away with which is founded in revelation. Therefore where do temptations come from? Is there any way to find out by the scriptures? If the devil is defeated, does that mean darkness has been done away with? Consider that all of us start out with darkness inside our soul (heart/mind/will/emotions), if we all suffer from our own will and ways, just like Jesus did even with the devil coming up to tempt him he resisted, and he knew the scriptures well. Would fortifying oneself in and through the scriptures help to not fall into temptations? Where are those temptations coming from though? Are they not with-in our own selves or are we just thoughtless creatures, who can't think, or even "speak with-in ourselves and no one hears?" What do you believe, concerning this manner? I consider the devil truly defeated, and that darkness still exists with-in us, and with-in the world itself that comes by its ways, rather than the Father's ways. Are the thoughts coming from our selves, and from within our own soul - we do what we desire by and through being in this fleshly body?

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our own desires.

James 1:13-14

13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Reactions: Nancy and MatthewG

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The devil has no power to tempt those who keep themselves pure through Christ.

1 John 5:18

18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Reactions: MatthewG and Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The devil tempts us @MatthewG. He is the serpent that tempted Eve and seeks to weaken mankind. He can speak subtly or louder. He is aggressive and a bully, or he or she may speak enticing things. And he often attempts stolen identities of others like God and angels.

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

2 Corinthians 11:13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light. 15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The devil tempts us @MatthewG. He is the serpent that tempted Eve and seeks to weaken mankind. He can speak subtly or louder. He is aggressive and a bully, or he or she may speak enticing things. And he often attempts stolen identities of others like God and angels.

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

2 Corinthians 11:13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light. 15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works.
Hello Devin,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with the scriptures. While I respect you and your interest of what you believe, to me the devil is not around anymore, due to Christ victory. So I do disagree that Satan is still around today, however darkness does still exist within us, and exist in others around us, and darkness exists that comes from this world which is around us, and the only option is to either 1. Look to that darkness, 2. Look towards the light that gives life and fortify a house on that foundation.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our own desires.

James 1:13-14

13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Thank you Wynona, I tend to agree with this scripture here you shared.
The devil has no power to tempt those who keep themselves pure through Christ.

1 John 5:18

18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
Thank you for also sharing this scripture, while I respect you and your interest, I am someone doesnt believe that the devil is around anymore. However Darkness is prevalent to live within each and everyone of us from birth, and the darkness of the world can also influence the way that one lives their life, and the spirits of the world can also infect a persons soul, For example partaking in witchcraft, or ghost huntings, and things of that nature, it really effected me as a young adult to some degree or another. There seems to be only two options, 1. Continue to look at the darkness or 2. Look towards the light that gives life and changes around from the soul having darkness and into having light.

Was reading Philippians and thought this passage was beautiful,

14 Do all things without complaining or arguments; 15 so that you will [a]prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you [b]appear as [c]lights in the world,

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you Wynona, I tend to agree with this scripture here you shared.

Thank you for also sharing this scripture, while I respect you and your interest, I am someone doesnt believe that the devil is around anymore. However Darkness is prevalent to live within each and everyone of us from birth, and the darkness of the world can also influence the way that one lives their life, and the spirits of the world can also infect a persons soul, For example partaking in witchcraft, or ghost huntings, and things of that nature, it really effected me as a young adult to some degree or another. There seems to be only two options, 1. Continue to look at the darkness or 2. Look towards the light that gives life and changes around from the soul having darkness and into having light.

Was reading Philippians and thought this passage was beautiful,

14 Do all things without complaining or arguments; 15 so that you will [a]prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you [b]appear as [c]lights in the world,
This also reminds me of Jesus when he talked about, a light on a hill.

14 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a [a]hill cannot be hidden; 15 nor do people light a lamp and put it under a [b]basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Your light must shine before people in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

While those who are born of God, do not sin because of abiding in Christ whom helps them by the spirit of Christ with-in and the holy spirit sent from God to not indulge in their sinful desires, which wynona had shared, and the “wicked one does not touch”, could be seen as our own will not getting its way, though it could mean the devil as well in that context. Its all a choice of course what one may do, and believe for that matter. Our temptions are still there, though one may die to them and decide to put them in the grave.

The good works that come from those who are in Christ, is credit to Yeshua because od allowing the spirit of him to mold you into his Character. To become and expressed image of Jesus within protruding out, confessing their belief in Yahava and to make good out of situations rather constantly bad ones, to mourn with those who mourn, to not cause a person to trip up and fall, to care for those who are weak, and to encourage those who are still in bondage. If you have light within you, it will be hard to not let it shine; unless you conceal it, under a basket; what good is that light?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan desires rather that we not believe he exists, so that he can hide and be the trickster he desires. And perhaps pretending to be God or some other being to the unsuspecting people.

• Wow
Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan desires rather that we not believe he exists, so that he can hide and be the trickster he desires. And perhaps pretending to be God or some other being to the unsuspecting people.

You may be right, and perhaps it is me who is wrong, but could the bible be wrong about Satan being done away with? Some say it is wrong, my weigh-in is that John was not lying, and he spoke the truth about his defeat. There is a scripture that says "If God can be for us, who can be against us?" To me, the answer is us, ourselves. Not the devil, because he has been defeated. From my perspective which many may disagree with is that Jesus has had total victory today, Devin.