Where do you get your Authority?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Anyone who is over a church

they should be humble and open and honest and apparent that they themselves also have sin, if they are going to be teaching in my opinion.

What do you think @farouk, @Christophany?

Should they be honest in that they all fall short, and it is Jesus Christ, and focusing on God and allow him to help us by the Holy Spirit, and read the Bible verse by verse and teach the people?

Or would it be good to focus on little of the Bible, make the people feel good about themselves and jam out and everyone leave and nothing is learned at all?

What are your thoughts I would like to hear them.
The whole of Paul's Epistles to Timothy show both how important the Scripture teaching role is but also how it's Timothy's personal testimony that is vitally important also.

Reactions: ChristisGod

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have my own problems and falling short of sins as I can be impatient, and sometimes I can get angry if someone is not paying attention to what I had been saying, however it is always Jesus who helps me hold those things back, I am never going to be perfect pure and blameless, like the people that were part of the bride in that day in age, as they were far more profound in how they lived their life, with no lie ever being on their tongue according to revelation.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The whole of Paul's Epistles to Timothy show both how important the Scripture teaching role is but also how it's Timothy's personal testimony that is vitally important also.

That did not answer me the question in your own words brother, that is what I am looking for not to be pointed towards Timothy.

Should people who teach in church...

Should they be honest in that they all fall short, and it is Jesus Christ, and focusing on God and allow him to help us by the Holy Spirit, and read the Bible verse by verse and teach the people?

Or would it be good to focus on little of the Bible, make the people feel good about themselves and jam out and everyone leave and nothing is learned at all?

What are your thoughts?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The authority I am speaking to is - where do people think they get the authority to make religious demands on peoples to follow

Your question is a little too vague for me. What people?

I thought your question was about those who assert moral authority over others, like rebuking a sinner or false teacher.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you someone who believes that they have authority over others and their faith?

I would like to say to you, that you are wrong. Unless you can justify that you indeed in fact have authority over others who are of the faith.

Say you use the Bible as your Authority: Then who gave you that authority was it God? I do not believe the Bible claims we have any authority at all.

God is the authority, and his authority is by and through the Holy Spirit.

I have no authority over others at all. I wont make demands on others of what they should do or should not do. From my perspective all people should have freedom to live their life how they want to, poor or rich. If you have the holy spirit move into you, you will realize (or should realize) that you are only accountable to God, and God alone, your are not accountable to others. What you do with your own life is your own choice!
God bless everyone of you.
I suspect you will get grief from the highly religious, for they love their position, even to the point of abuse.

My experience, is that although all authority belongs to God, He has appointed all who are His to act according to the gifts that He has given each, according to His purpose. For me, when I cried out to God I asked for answers--and He answered, and I could no more not speak the knowledge that He has given to me, for to do so would take more strength than I possess. As we know from John the Baptist, if we withhold what He has bestowed upon us--the rocks would cry out, leaving us to our shame. But, as you say, that is not our authority, as some like to define it--but His authority. Which of course is not to be confused with opinion or conjecture.

I guess the point is, the authority that does exist...is God, and those who hold it do not own it. And if it is genuinely from God, to reject it, is to reject Him.

Sadly, such authority is rarely received. Even Jesus did not receive honor "in his own country and in his own house.” Matthew 13:57

Last edited:

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suspect you will get grief from the highly religious, for they love their position, even to the point of abuse.

My experience, is that although all authority belongs to God, He has appointed all who are His to act according to the gifts that He has given each, according to His purpose. For me, when I cried out to God I asked for answers--and He answered, and I could no more not speak the knowledge that He has given to me, for to do so would take more strength than I possess. As we know from John the Baptist, if we withhold what He has bestowed upon us--the rocks would cry out, leaving us to our shame. But, as you say, that is not our authority, as some like to define it--but His authority.

Sadly, such authority is rarely received. Even Jesus did not receive honor "in his own country and in his own house.” Matthew 13:57
Lording oneself over others is much different than shepherding the flock . One is done with care and in love and the other is not .

Reactions: Wrangler

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello ScottA,

That would make sense! Indeed that would be the case. It is unfortunate.

My experience, is that although all authority belongs to God, He has appointed all who are His to act according the gifts that He has given each, according to His purpose.

I do not mind that at all, as God does move people to share and do things by the Holy Spirit, and I believe anything that comes from the spirit is going to be in humility, and being truthful, with all the other fruits of the spirit given by the Heavenly Father above in and through Christ!

For me, when I cried out to God I asked for answers--and He answered, and I could no more not speak the knowledge that He has given to me, for to do so would take more strength than I possess.

I would see that, the scripture Jesus said; ask, seek, knock : God can help in revealing things that you are may be looking for; as long as it is dealing with the things of God be it wisdom and spiritual. From what Jesus said it is by his strength that we can do anything, by abiding in him for without him we can do nothing.

As we know from John the Baptist, if we withhold what He has bestowed upon us--the rocks would cry out, leaving us to our shame.
That is an interesting statement.

But, as you say, that is not our authority, as some like to define it--but His authority.

It would seem people would rather have God be the authority over them, however that leaves the power of men out of the equation, and that is a loss of power and control over others, in which from as many cases of just crimes, not only religious but just people in general who end up killing their own parents, or parents killing their own children.

God being the authority is a means of allowing ourselves to Love God first, with all our mind, heart, and soul/strength?, and allow him to be looked towards in prayer and asking God about the things in the Bible and praying for people out there who need prayer, and having love for other people.

Thank you for sharing, you are right, Religious people wouldn't like anyone going against the grain and it will be like that for the rest of the worlds life, as we all generation come and go.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Having God be the authority must leave to much room for freedom, and liberty in Christ, what are your thoughts on that @ScottA?

(realizing we individually will go to God alone to be judged upon death).

No authority will be there to state our case, it will be us standing naked before God who weighs the heart of an individual.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lording oneself over others is much different than shepherding the flock . One is done with care and in love and the other is not .
This is true, even when that love comes in the form of rebuke or even harsh correction. Case in point--the Ninevites and the word from God through Jonah.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thing is if someone is teaching the Word of God - @Christophany to a congregation and you mention like the scriptures you went over before, from the sexual immorality, while teaching that you would do so in the historical aspect of the times and age going on in the country.

You will be teaching anyone who comes to your church what the Bible says, with historical background and they themselves will hear you talk about it, they will have the Word of God come into and weigh on their mind and conscious.

You still didn't answer my question would you be interested in communion with me out of Love in Christ as a brother ?

Let me ask the question again.

What are your thoughts?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Bible is profitable to anyone who learns verse by verse, and historical context and understanding the day in age that they lived in, people will hear what they will coming into the place, and then after the lesson is over, they will leave and go on to live their life, and the word of God has been taught to them in which they can either consider, or reject.

To police over people and throw people out of the church when the church is there to help people learn the word of God doesn't make sense, unless someone started in on a MMA fight, that would be a different situation.

to call out people due to their sin and not call out your own sin, is

not a fair assessment on the whole.

As all of us fall short... and all have sinned, and no one is made right with God except through Jesus who is the savior of the world.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I have my own problems and falling short of sins as I can be impatient, and sometimes I can get angry if someone is not paying attention to what I had been saying, however it is always Jesus who helps me hold those things back, I am never going to be perfect pure and blameless, like the people that were part of the bride in that day in age, as they were far more profound in how they lived their life, with no lie ever being on their tongue according to revelation.
That is one thing that can make me angry. If I present some arguement and am just ignored as though I'm not in the room. At least say something, like no or that is stupid.

Reactions: ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Having God be the authority must leave to much room for freedom, and liberty in Christ, what are your thoughts on that @ScottA?

(realizing we individually will go to God alone to be judged upon death).

No authority will be there to state our case, it will be us standing naked before God who weighs the heart of an individual.
Such freedom is by design.

By exceeding our would be authority which is as much as allowed by God, we prolong the days until we come to fully realize our salvation and all the truth and goodness of God. I mean, if people acted perfectly, as God says, He would heal us and be done. But by not doing perfectly, by not receiving all that would be good to receive, in spite of our shame and failure, we carry the torch from God to the next generation presenting them with an equal opportunity, which they too carry forward. And so it goes until the times are fulfilled.

The thing that is more than sad...is that in spite of this design, God comes through with revelations which should improve our trajectory--but it doesn't. Even the apostles didn't believe that Jesus had risen from the dead at first, even after He had told them He would. And then, having been told that we are to be lead into all truth by the Holy Spirit during these times--most have not and will not receive it...for which strong delusion has been foretold. And now, men hold to that delusion as if it were the gospel.

Sad indeed. We die rather than believe each new revelation unto all truth, taking our rejections to the grave. Nothing new under the sun. And so it goes.

Last edited:

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thing is if someone is teaching the Word of God - @Christophany to a congregation and you mention like the scriptures you went over before, from the sexual immorality, while teaching that you would do so in the historical aspect of the times and age going on in the country.

You will be teaching anyone who comes to your church what the Bible says, with historical background and they themselves will hear you talk about it, they will have the Word of God come into and weigh on their mind and conscious.

You still didn't answer my question would you be interested in communion with me out of Love in Christ as a brother ?

Let me ask the question again.

What are your thoughts?
No one will reach a sinless state until the resurrection. As believers who are growing and maturing in our faith we sin less but are not sinless.