Where do you get your Authority?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Such freedom is by design.

By exceeding our would be authority which is as much as allowed by God, we prolong the days until we come to fully realize our salvation and all the truth and goodness of God. I mean, if people acted perfectly, as God says, He would heal us and be done. But by not doing perfectly, by not receiving all that would be good to receive, in spite of our shame and failure, we carry the torch from God to the next generation presenting them with an equal opportunity, which they too carry forward. And so it goes until the times are fulfilled.

The thing that is more than sad...is that in spite of this design, God comes through with revelations which should improve our trajectory--but it doesn't. Even the apostles didn't believe that Jesus had risen from the dead at first, even after He had told them He would. And then, having been told that we are to be lead into all truth by the Holy Spirit during these times--most have not and will not receive it...for which strong delusion has been foretold. And now, men hold to that delusion as if it were the gospel.

Sad indeed. We die rather than believe each new revelation unto all truth, taking our rejections to the grave. Nothing new under the sun. And so it goes.
This might be a tangent, ScottA

Very thankful for God and what he has done for the whole world by and through his Son Jesus Christ.

It is not my prerogative to judge other people here on this forums, though it is good to challenge oneself to get the mind working and thinking, though I am not here to condemn anyone as I believe people have the freedom to believe how they are going to, and also live their life their own way.

It is good to self-reflect in our past in how we use to conduct our lives I believe because it reminds us of the things we have done in which makes us have gratitude for what Jesus had done for all of the world.

My life is like it is because of all the abuse I had caused and inflicted on others, as I use to not be so open to being hospitable to engaging anyone.
This is not reason to cry - in response to my actions but to cry in thankfulness of the God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, in the forgiveness and mercy shown upon my life in which it has changed a 180 degree direction from sitting in the darkness of hate towards others, and sometimes I do have thoughts that come in that try to judge and condemn others but in those points and episodes one needs to go towards God and start talking to him.

Sometimes I just ask him to help me to accept the way things are, and to let things be as they will be as they come up during the time frame of whatever may be going on, perhaps it is dealing with another.

The point of the Authority thread is to realize, that no one has any authority, and the authority is not by using scripture to place demands on others, if we miss the main importance of the scripture and believe that making demands and commandments on people causing them burdens, then we have missed the whole point in Christ which is to Love God first, and to Love others.

We miss the point in how it is an individual responsibility for people to seek God out in faith, and use the Bible as their road-map and guide that ultimately leads to Jesus, in having rest in him, for everything he was able to do. This doesn't mean no one can teach the Bible, and share it with others, who are willingly to listen, however not everyone is so open to hearing because it may condemn them, or even go against their own set pre-beliefs of how one should live life, the Bible is full treasure, and it, itself is a sword that cuts through the heart and the joints of the marrow.

No one will reach a sinless state until the resurrection. As believers who are growing and maturing in our faith we sin less but are not sinless.
Chris,
I agree.

@Christophany We need the continual intecession of our Great High Priest, indeed; Hebrews 7.25.
Far,
Jesus Christ is the center piece of all things. He is the creator of all things being the Word of God.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Very thankful for God and what he has done for the whole world by and through his Son Jesus Christ.

It is not my prerogative to judge other people here on this forums, though it is good to challenge oneself to get the mind working and thinking, though I am not here to condemn anyone as I believe people have the freedom to believe how they are going to, and also live their life their own way.

It is good to self-reflect in our past in how we use to conduct our lives I believe because it reminds us of the things we have done in which makes us have gratitude for what Jesus had done for all of the world.

My life is like it is because of all the abuse I had caused and inflicted on others, as I use to not be so open to being hospitable to engaging anyone.
This is not reason to cry - in response to my actions but to cry in thankfulness of the God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, in the forgiveness and mercy shown upon my life in which it has changed a 180 degree direction from sitting in the darkness of hate towards others, and sometimes I do have thoughts that come in that try to judge and condemn others but in those points and episodes one needs to go towards God and start talking to him.

Sometimes I just ask him to help me to accept the way things are, and to let things be as they will be as they come up during the time frame of whatever may be going on, perhaps it is dealing with another.

The point of the Authority thread is to realize, that no one has any authority, and the authority is not by using scripture to place demands on others, if we miss the main importance of the scripture and believe that making demands and commandments on people causing them burdens, then we have missed the whole point in Christ which is to Love God first, and to Love others.

We miss the point in how it is an individual responsibility for people to seek God out in faith, and use the Bible as their road-map and guide that ultimately leads to Jesus, in having rest in him, for everything he was able to do. This doesn't mean no one can teach the Bible, and share it with others, who are willingly to listen, however not everyone is so open to hearing because it may condemn them, or even go against their own set pre-beliefs of how one should live life, the Bible is full treasure, and it, itself is a sword that cuts through the heart and the joints of the marrow.

Chris,
I agree.

Far,
Jesus Christ is the center piece of all things. He is the creator of all things being the Word of God.
He is the center piece because He is God , God the Son . The Eternal Son/God/ YHWH

hope this helps !!!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is the center piece because He is God , God the Son . The Eternal Son/God/ YHWH

hope this helps !!!

@Christophany The authority of God in Three Persons and the authority of Scripture are in complete harmony together.... :)

Thank you for sharing. Everyone has a right to their own way they view God, you have complete freedom and liberty in Christ! How awesome is that.

Some believe in a trinity or whatever, I ain't here to condemn you for that.

We realize that we are going to die and stand before our creator, on judgement day (at the end of our life) and He weighs our hearts (not so much knowledge) my brothers.

God bless you,
Love you!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing. Everyone has a right to their own way they view God, you have complete freedom and liberty in Christ! How awesome is that.

Some believe in a trinity or whatever, I ain't here to condemn you for that.

We realize that we are going to die and stand before our creator, on judgement day (at the end of our life) and He weighs our hearts (not so much knowledge) my brothers.

God bless you,
Love you!
Is Jesus the Son your creator ?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother, Christophany, you will have to make another thread or something and tag me in it.

I will have to ask you to please refrain from questioning me if it has nothing to do anything with the thread topic!

Love you!

Hope you understand.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You still didn't answer my question ... Should they be honest in that they all fall short, and it is Jesus Christ, and focusing on God and allow him to help us by the Holy Spirit, and read the Bible verse by verse and teach the people?

I think you are confusing make a public confession with 'being honest.' While the obligatory, 'we all fall short of the glory of God' may be stated I do not believe, as you imply that each Biblical reading must begin with the reader publicly confessing that he or she has fallen short.

Reactions: ChristisGod

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you are confusing make a public confession with 'being honest.' While the obligatory, 'we all fall short of the glory of God' may be stated I do not believe, as you imply that each Biblical reading must begin with the reader publicly confessing that he or she has fallen short.

Nah, not all the time, but at least being honest in the aspect of we all do fall short should come up from time to time, when you are teaching the word of God.

To be honest to those you are teaching with, is a way to keep oneself humble and lowly in the aspect of it is Jesus Christ who is the one who makes us right with God.

I have learned that sometime when you are reading the Bible, and if you are going to teach it, there are going to be instances where this will show up, and one needs to be honest with themselves and with others, make sense?

I some-what-agree with you.

Love you!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My post was more of an explanation as to why things are the way they are, and how in spite of our abuses of authority which belongs rather to God, still He is working all things together for good for those who love Him according to His purpose, even for all generations.

Blessing to you!

Reactions: MatthewG

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Nah, not all the time, but at least being honest in the aspect of we all do fall short should come up from time to time, when you are teaching the word of God.

To be honest to those you are teaching with, is a way to keep oneself humble and lowly in the aspect of it is Jesus Christ who is the one who makes us right with God.

I have learned that sometime when you are reading the Bible, and if you are going to teach it, there are going to be instances where this will show up, and one needs to be honest with themselves and with others, make sense?

I some-what-agree with you.

Love you!
@MatthewG A passage to remember is about the Lord Jesus in Philippians 2, Who 'humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross'.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG A passage to remember is about the Lord Jesus in Philippians 2, Who 'humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross'.

So much scripture to be found in the Bible. It is all there for one to find and explore! I believe it is good to know all the roundabouts from Matthew - to Revelation, to Genesis to Malachi. NO one is going to be one expert on God and put him into a box! No way.

:) God bless you brother, keep sharing and doing what you do as you are lead by the spirit, sir!

Love you.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My post was more of an explanation as to why things are the way they are, and how in spite of our abuses of authority which belongs rather to God, still He is working all things together for good for those who love Him according to His purpose, even for all generations.

Blessing to you!

Thank you for that, my post was sharing from thinking as I had went for a walk after leaving here.

You're right though in your thoughts when it all boils down : God created Adam and Eve with total and complete free will, and all of us will have our own life to live before passing away, God is looking at our hearts and not so much our knowledge though our knowledge keeps our faith strong, and can increase it when we look and read the Word, as the Word comes by hearing and the hearing by the word of God.

:) God bless,
Love you!

Reactions: ScottA

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Re the OP...

I get my authority from the Bible. (If that's what is meant). I like the NET Bible most, as it has more than 60,000 translator's notes. I do not get my authority from the teaching of the church, regardless of the denomination. They all have their "spin"; none of them are 100% correct in my opinion.

Before COVID-19 I attended church and was an elder until I retired, so I include myself in those who aren't infallible.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
So much scripture to be found in the Bible. It is all there for one to find and explore! I believe it is good to know all the roundabouts from Matthew - to Revelation, to Genesis to Malachi. NO one is going to be one expert on God and put him into a box! No way.

:) God bless you brother, keep sharing and doing what you do as you are lead by the spirit, sir!

Love you.
Hi Matthew
I've been reading through and really like what you're saying. I come and go so I can't remember all your beliefs.

I would just say that I agree that we can't put God into a box. We shouldn't be here to teach anything but to share.

We do, all of us, believe we have the correct understanding of biblical principals and thus maybe even God. Maybe, because we only know about God what has been revealed.

Maybe we all have a different reason to be here.
Maybe this is the reason we should really be disciples of Jesus and forget all else.

Not sure.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Matthew
I've been reading through and really like what you're saying. I come and go so I can't remember all your beliefs.

I would just say that I agree that we can't put God into a box. We shouldn't be here to teach anything but to share.

We do, all of us, believe we have the correct understanding of biblical principals and thus maybe even God. Maybe, because we only know about God what has been revealed.

Maybe we all have a different reason to be here.
Maybe this is the reason we should really be disciples of Jesus and forget all else.

Not sure.

Hello to you, Godsgrace,

As someone who believes in freedom and liberty in Christ, I believe it is good for anyone who teaches to share what they learn but not make dogmatic statements, and also to be sure that we can be wrong on certain things and not 100% sure on everything written in the Bible, though I believe like you said we have the Bible to look at to increase one’s knowledge about the word and one can either accept the things in it which should be lead by the Holy Spirit or to reject.

For example some people believe in Christ but don’t believe they should forgive others, but Christ told us we should forgive and do good those who may even hate you.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Re the OP...

I get my authority from the Bible. (If that's what is meant). I like the NET Bible most, as it has more than 60,000 translator's notes. I do not get my authority from the teaching of the church, regardless of the denomination. They all have their "spin"; none of them are 100% correct in my opinion.

Before COVID-19 I attended church and was an elder until I retired, so I include myself in those who aren't infallible.

Thank you for sharing, Jim.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Re the OP...

Yes I also like the netbible. I use it along with my primary version the NASB and ESV/NKJV which are formal equivalents and NIV/ NET for dynamic/optimal equivalent.