Where does the Bible say?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that they are historically worthwhile, but the RCC is not their author. And that does not obligate me to accept further, extra-Scriptural teachings.
You keep dodging the question.
I'm not talking about "historically worthwhile" - I'm talking about the Word of GOD.

You believe that the NT is the inspired Word of God based on the authority of the Catholic Church.
WHY is that?

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already gave a Scriptural and linguistic refutation of all of this - which you were NEVER able to refute.
Your refusal to recognize those verses in their most straightforward terms is due to their conflict with external doctrines [Perpetual Virginity] that I do not recognize. (I thought that I made that clear.)

That tunnel vision compels you to shoehorn in a glaringly improbable rationale for its defense.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"We picked the same books" is not the same thing as "I picked your books."
So, you actually believe that your Protestant Fathers went through the decision process of deciding the Canon of the NT by skimming through ALL of the Books in contention.
WHO were the judges?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your refusal to recognize those verses in their most straightforward terms is due to their conflict with external doctrines [Perpetual Virginity] that I do not recognize. (I thought that I made that clear.)

That tunnel vision compels you to shoehorn in a glaringly improbable rationale for its defense.
No - "tunnel vision" is what you have when you ONLY see a word and refuse to understand the historical, linguistic and cultural context.

I already explained to you that the "named brethren" (adelphoi) of Jesus are NEVER shown to be the children of the mother of Jesus - but of the OTHER Mary standing near the cross. She is called the "sister" (adelphe) of Jesus's mother.
"Tunnel vision" is NOT seeing this plain and simple truth.

I gave you several examples of the use of the word "Adelphos" is Scripture - which is RARELY used to describe uterine siblings. It is FAR more commonly used to describe other relations or even fellow believers, friends, neighbors, etc.
"Tunnel vision" is turning a blind eye to THIS truth . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know. I am guessing that would have been the same process that ejected the Apocrypha.
So, WHY would you place your eternal soul in the hands of somebody whose authority you are totally unsure of??

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That all comes back to one's operating paradigm. We will just have to agree to disagree. (But I answered the OP from my current paradigm, if not yours.)
"Current paradigm"??
Explain what that means and how it differs from Scriptural, cultural and linguist facts.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this not the carpenter’s son?
Is not His mother called Mary?
And His brothers
  • James,
  • Joses,
  • Simon, and
  • Judas?
And His sisters, are they not all with us?

It does not say there are children of Mary!
The Bible says Joseph is the father of Jesus, and he is, It does say Jesus is the son of Joseph but that’s not His biological father but legal father! Jn 1:45
The Bible also says Mary has a sister also named Mary but is not her sister but her sister in law.
John 19:25
Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.

children not of Mary the mother of Jesus
Matthew 27:56
Among which was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Joses, and the mother of Zebedees children.

Mark 15:40
There were also women looking on afar off: among whom was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the less and of Joses, and Salome;

Bible says Mary shall have one son, singular, Is 7:14

and Her son is God!

Lk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

This verse only makes sense if She made a vow perpetual Virginity to God!

She will not accept the exalted dignity of Mother of God and mother of the savior if it means violating her vow!

lk 1:34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?

Perpetual virgin!

Reactions: Marymog

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How convenient - ^ LOL
Jesus said Follow Him.
Yes, He did.
That's why He said to the First Bishops of His Church:

Matt. 18:18
Amen, I say to you, WHATEVER YOU BIND on earth shall be bound in heaven, and WHATEVER YOU LOOSE on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Luke 10:16
Whoever listens to YOU listens to ME. Whoever rejects YOU rejects ME. And whoever rejects ME rejects the ONE who sent ME."

John 20:23
Whose sins YOU FORGIVE are forgiven them, and whose sins YOU RETAIN are retained.”

That's CHRIST'S AUTHORITY . . .

Reactions: Marymog