Where does the Pope get his authority?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Pope gets his authority from Jesus Christ. Authority is always "given" not "taken." And, authority also implies responsibility. the level of authority is always in equal proportion to the level of responsibility to whom the authority is given.

Matt. 16:19 - Jesus said to Peter, the first Pope, "I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” This is Jesus (God) giving His godly authority to Peter to govern and sanctify His Church here on earth.

There's no question that Peter got his authority from Jesus and no evidence that anyone else did.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Paul did not call himself a father.
Matt 23:
[9] And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

NOT a mystery!
It means not to elevate anyone to the level of God, which proves you read into the passage what isn't there.
Acts 7:2; 22:1,1 John 2:13 – elders of the Church are called “fathers.”

Paul was MADE “IN Christ” and Chosen and Appointed by the Lord God to INSTRUCT other men IN THE TRUE WORD of God….
That's what priests do. Every priest becomes a father through the Gospel the same as Paul that you deny because you have no priest, no pastor, and no community. Where in the Bible is the New Testament Priesthood abolished? Obviously its a man made tradition.

The notion that Paul was disconnected from the institutional Church has always been rejected as unbiblical.

It is incorrect to regard St. Paul as some kind of spiritual “lone ranger,” on his own with no particular ecclesiastical allegiance, since he was commissioned by Jesus Himself as an Apostle.
- In his very conversion experience, Jesus informed Paul that he would be told what to do (Acts 9:6; cf. 9:17).
- He went to see St. Peter in Jerusalem for fifteen days in order to be confirmed in his calling (Galatians 1:18),
- and fourteen years later was commissioned by Peter, James, and John (Galatians 2:1-2, 9).
- He was also sent out by the Church at Antioch (Acts 13:1-4), which was in contact with the Church at Jerusalem (Acts 11:19-27).
-Later on, Paul reported back to Antioch (Acts 14:26-28).
-Acts 15:2 states: “. . . Paul and Barnabas and some of the others were appointed to go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and the elders about this question.”
The next verse refers to Paul and Barnabas “being sent on their way by the church.” Paul did what he was told to do by the Jerusalem Council (where he played no huge role), and Paul and Barnabas were sent off, or commissioned by the council (15:22-27), and shared its binding teachings in their missionary journeys: “. . . delivered to them for observance the decisions which had been reached by the apostles and elders who were at Jerusalem” (Acts 16:4).

The Jerusalem Council certainly regarded its teachings as infallible, and guided by the Holy Spirit Himself. The records we have of it don’t even record much discussion about biblical prooftexts, and the main issue was circumcision (where there is a lot of Scripture to draw from). Paul accepted its authority and proclaimed its teachings (Acts 16:4).

if you agree that Paul was commissioned as an apostle “by Jesus Himself” then does he derive his apostleship from Jesus or from Peter?

Both. Why do you feel compelled to make a choice? It’s the usual Protestant “either/or” dichotomous mentality. Calvin does the same thing repeatedly.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that's why the Pope's official title is, "The Servant of the Servants of God."

According to the annual directory book Annuario Pontificio published by the Vatican, the pope’s official title is:

“Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the Vatican City State, Servant of the servants of God.”

And barely can a man bestowing Titles upon another man….it is met with an unBIBLICAL concoction…of their titles meanings…

Vicar of Jesus Christ
“ The original notion of a vicar means an earthly representative of God or Christ. As Jesus made Saint Peter, the first pope, his vicar in John 21:16-17, each successor to the papacy is thus the vicar of Jesus of Christ. “
UCatholic .com source

Jesus made Peter the “first” Pope, and forgot to tell him? LOL
:rolleyes:

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
According to the annual directory book Annuario Pontificio published by the Vatican, the pope’s official title is:

“Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the Vatican City State, Servant of the servants of God.”

And barely can a man bestowing Titles upon another man….it is met with an unBIBLICAL concoction…of their titles meanings…

Vicar of Jesus Christ
“ The original notion of a vicar means an earthly representative of God or Christ. As Jesus made Saint Peter, the first pope, his vicar in John 21:16-17, each successor to the papacy is thus the vicar of Jesus of Christ. “
UCatholic .com source

Jesus didn't forget to give Peter the Keys of the Kingdom and the authority to bind and lose. Jesus gave these to Peter first as an individual, then to the other Apostles as a collective, but you don't get it. TITLES were granted and developed over time, not self assigned. You have no concept of development, that I have explained several times.

The Catholic doctrine of the papacy is biblically based, and is derived from the evident primacy of St. Peter among the apostles. Like all Christian doctrines, it has undergone development through the centuries, but it hasn’t departed from the essential components already existing in the leadership and prerogatives of St. Peter. These were given to him by our Lord Jesus Christ, acknowledged by his contemporaries, and accepted by the early Church. The biblical Petrine data is quite strong and convincing, by virtue of its cumulative weight, especially for those who are not hostile to the notion of the papacy from the outset. This is especially made clear with the assistance of biblical commentaries.

VARIOUS TITLES DOES NOT CHANGE THE DOCTRINE BUT AFFIRMS the essential components already existing in the leadership and prerogatives of St. Peter given to him by our Lord Jesus Christ, and Taken says Jesus forgot to tell him.

Paul did not call himself a father.
You got caught in a lie so you insert more whoppers to cover up your first lie. "Jesus made Peter the “first” Pope, and forgot to tell him? "
Can you get any dumber?

1708459603066.jpeg

1708459740400.png

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It means not to elevate anyone to the level of God, which proves you read into the passage what isn't there.
Acts 7:2; 22:1,1 John 2:13 – elders of the Church are called “fathers.”

Acts 7:
[2] And he said, Men, brethren, and fathers, hearken; The God of glory appeared unto our father Abraham, when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Charran…

LOL Many are REFERENCED as “fathers”, duh!
Don’t you KNOW, a son who is speaking ABOUT his father is NOT speaking to him calling him “father”?

When you are speaking DIRECTLY to another man and CALL him “father whatever”, you ARE calling him “father”….
And as the JUDGE SAYS….he IS NOT the FATHER…God IS!

That's what priests do. Every priest becomes a father through the Gospel the same as Paul that you deny because …

Because Gods Word says to NOT do so!

you have no priest, no pastor, and no community.

Cutting you off here….since you can NOT contain your elementary mantra of False accusations and Gaslighting.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus didn't forget to give Peter the Keys of the Kingdom and the authority to bind and lose. Jesus gave these to Peter first as an individual, then to the other Apostles as a collective, but you don't get it.

Every Converted (ie duh, Born again Believer) has the guardianship and power of BINDING and LOOSENING!

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's no question that Peter got his authority from Jesus and no evidence that anyone else did.
The office that we refer to as Pope, was established by Jesus as a dynastic office, i.e, it was to have successors. Historically, there have been successors to Peter for about 2000 years now.

They key to understanding the office is understanding 1st century Israel and the surrounding area. Everyone then knew that the king (Jesus is our king) always had a second-in-command to run the kingdom in his absence (off to war, visiting other kingdoms, ill, etc.). This second-in-command ruled the kingdom for the king, and upon his return, the king upheld whatever this second-in-command ruled. (Binding and loosing.) If this second-in-command died, another was chosen to take his place. They symbol of this office was a large key or two (2-3 feet long), that he carried over his shoulder as a sign of his authority. When Jesus told Peter in Matt. 16:19, that He was giving him the "keys to the kingdom of heaven," Jesus was clearly establishing a second-in-command to rule His kingdom after He ascended to heaven, until He returned at the second coming. And, clearly, this was the understanding of the first Christians, since they always had a successor to Peter.

Reactions: Illuminator

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Vicar of Jesus Christ
UCatholic .com source

There are EIGHT (8) official titles attributed to the Pope:

- Bishop of Rome
(Episcopus Romanus)
- Vicar of Jesus Christ (Vicarius Iesu Christi)
- Successor of the Prince of the Apostles (Successor principis apostolorum)
- Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church (Summus Pontifex Ecclesiae Universalis)
- Primate of Italy (Primatus Italiae)
- Metropolitan Archbishop of the Roman Province (Archiepiscopus metropolitanus provinciae Romanae)
- Sovereign of the Vatican City State (Superanus sui iuris civitatis Vaticanae)
- Servant of the Servants of God

“Pope”
is simply a term of endearment that means “Papa”.
Do your
homework . . .

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus didn't forget to give Peter the Keys …

So? No one said he did.
Don’t you comprehend what you read?
My comment was FORGETTING to give the title of first pope to Peter…which the Catholics claim, but Jesus nor Scripture does.

of the Kingdom and the authority to bind and lose. Jesus gave these to Peter first as an individual, then to the other Apostles as a collective, but you don't get it. TITLES were granted and developed over time, not self assigned. You have no concept of development, that I have explained several times.

The Catholic doctrine of the papacy is biblically based, and is derived from the evident primacy of St. Peter among the apostles. Like all Christian doctrines, it has undergone development through the centuries, but it hasn’t departed from the essential components already existing in the leadership and prerogatives of St. Peter. These were given to him by our Lord Jesus Christ, acknowledged by his contemporaries, and accepted by the early Church. The biblical Petrine data is quite strong and convincing, by virtue of its cumulative weight, especially for those who are not hostile to the notion of the papacy from the outset. This is especially made clear with the assistance of biblical commentaries.

VARIOUS TITLES DOES NOT CHANGE THE DOCTRINE BUT AFFIRMS the essential components already existing in the leadership and prerogatives of St. Peter given to him by our Lord Jesus Christ, and Taken says Jesus forgot to tell him.

You got caught in a lie so you insert more whoppers to cover up your first lie. "Jesus made Peter the “first” Pope, and forgot to tell him? "
Can you get any dumber?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every Converted (ie duh, Born again Believer) has the guardianship and power of BINDING and LOOSENING!
Can you show me where the BIBLE makes this claim?
When did Jesus give this power to the crowds?

Chapter and Verse
, please . . .

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus built His church upon the rock of revealed knowledge... the Father revealing Truth to people thru His Spirit.

It's poppy cock to claim God built His church on Peter clueless-doh.gif

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The office that we refer to as Pope, was established by Jesus as a dynastic office, i.e, it was to have successors. Historically, there have been successors to Peter for about 2000 years now.

Interesting. Since it was Paul, not Peter the Jews given the task to teach the Gentiles…

Matt 10:
[5] These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

Acts 9:
[15] But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he (PAUL) is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus built His church upon the rock of revealed knowledge... the Father revealing Truth to people thru His Spirit.

It's poppy cock to claim God built His church on Peter View attachment 41994
And it's utter ignorance to not understand that a guy named "Simon" was called "Rock" (Kepha, Peter) for the rest of his life because Jesus changed his name.

Jesus told him "... you are ROCK (Kepha) and on this ROCK (Kepha) I will build my Church" (Matt. 16:18).

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus told him "... you are ROCK (Kepha) and on this ROCK (Kepha) I will build my Church" (Matt. 16:18).

Those not reading the quote in context... are deceived by the devil in to becoming catholics!

Matthew 16:15-18
He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
And Jesus answered and said unto him,
Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Besides, Peter was married so he could not be one of your popes, not to mention he never prayed the rosary in worship unto Jesus' momma disagree.gif

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you show me where the BIBLE makes this claim?
When did Jesus give this power to the crowds?

Chapter and Verse
, please . . .

It’s a study, that applies to converted men, who Forgive or Do not Forgive Commissions of Trespasses, they commit, or is committed against them.

IF they DO Forgive, so shall it BE accounted to them IN Heaven and Earth.. IF they DO NOT Forgive, so shall it BE accounted to them IN Heaven and Earth.

Matt 18:
[3] And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Matt 18:
[15] Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
[16] But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
[17] And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
[18] Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
[19] Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
[20] For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Chapter and verse please
ALL of the Apostles had successors to their offices.

In Acts 1, the Apostles and inner circle gathered to choose a successor for Judas. Peter, quoting the Psalms, said:
"Let another take his office" (Acts 1:20).

The Greek word for "office" used here is "Episkopay" (Bishopric).
A Bishopric is a successive office.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are EIGHT (8) official titles attributed to the Pope:

- Bishop of Rome
(Episcopus Romanus)
- Vicar of Jesus Christ (Vicarius Iesu Christi)
- Successor of the Prince of the Apostles (Successor principis apostolorum)
- Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church (Summus Pontifex Ecclesiae Universalis)
- Primate of Italy (Primatus Italiae)
- Metropolitan Archbishop of the Roman Province (Archiepiscopus metropolitanus provinciae Romanae)
- Sovereign of the Vatican City State (Superanus sui iuris civitatis Vaticanae)
- Servant of the Servants of God

“Pope”
is simply a term of endearment that means “Papa”.
Do your
homework . . .

LOL
Studying Catholicism is not “my homework”!
You gave a half truth…I listed the plethora of “titles”, then you repeated them…:rolleyes:

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ALL of the Apostles had successors to their offices.

In Acts 1, the Apostles and inner circle gathered to choose a successor for Judas. Peter, quoting the Psalms, said:
"Let another take his office" (Acts 1:20).

The Greek word for "office" used here is "Episkopay" (Bishopric).
A Bishopric is a successive office.

Swing and a miss.

lol--- really?

Peter stood up and said let's pick a replacement for JUDAS

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those not reading the quote in context... are deceived by the devil in to becoming catholics!

Matthew 16:15-18
He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
And Jesus answered and said unto him,
Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
And Jesus ALREADY addressed this in verse 17 - so WHY would He repeat Himself in verse 18, Einstein?
In verse 17, Jesus blesses Peter for relaying a truth that the Father revealed.

In verse 18, Jesus blesses him a 2md time by telling him that because of this, He will build His Church on him (Pater).

In verse 19, Jesus blesses Peter a 3rd time, giving him the Keys to the Kingdom of Heaven and the power to bind and loose.

Besides, Peter was married so he could not be one of your popes, not to mention he never prayed the rosary in worship unto Jesus' momma
Priestly celibacy was a Biblical discipline that developed over time. Besides - Peter's wife in never mentioned in Scripture - and early traditions state that she was already dead by the time Matt. 8:14-15 took place.

And only an idiot believe we worship Mary . . .

Reactions: Illuminator