Where does the Pope get his authority?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Lol...OK Jane. Whatever you say. NOW you are saying I have a comprehension problem :IDK:But I suspect you will allege that you didn't say that either.

Quote from YOU: it appears that you are somewhat illiterate

But I get it. You want to say that I am only illiterate when it comes to reading between the lines. I clearly addressed that already kiddo. But if it makes you feel better.........you do you boo boo.
Wow....talk about twisting what was said.....are you a lawyer by any chance? You edit quotes to substantiate your accusations, then when challenged, you change it all around to become the victim...nice try.
You do your own boo hoo.

The truth is the truth and unless you can comprehend what is said to you, what point is there in any exchange? I just like the readers to have something to chew on.
Pot calling the kettle black
The pot jumped out of the fire and received a thorough cleansing.......the kettle enjoyed being black for some reason so it stayed in the fire just becoming blacker.....my vision is 20/20 as is my hindsight, which reveals a lot about the past that you either fail to acknowledge or are a sad victim of ignorance. Can anyone be truly ignorant in today’s world of abundant information? All you need to know is at the tap of a keyboard.

The RCC is an ancient replica of first century Judaism.....in case you were hiding behind the door...Christ changed it all.
There was no earthly priesthood in Christianity....it was all in heaven.....future tense. (Rev 20:6)
There is no apostolic succession and therefore no Peter as the first “Pope”.
Your “Pontiff” is also a Roman relic,....nothing whatever to do with Christianity.
There were no nuns, no rosary beads, no crucifixes, no monks or distinctive clothing or titles among the first Christians....and no cloistering away from people or vows of silence. You cannot preach to the walls and speech is necessary unless you are into mental telepathy.
There were no grand ornate structures in which to worship, and the bread offered at the Lord’s Supper was broken flat bread.....it was not shaped like the sun.
The Sabbath was not commanded for Christians, and there never was a command from God to change one small part of Jewish law to accommodate the worship of the Roman sun god on his special day.

You seem to be absolutely clueless as to what Christ began and how far the RCC strayed from the original model......it does not even resemble it in any way.

Hmmmm......all Christian denominations say the same thing about JW's. ;)
Praise God for that!.....the “wheat” were not going to resemble the “weeds” at all in this “time of the end”.....they were to totally separate from them.....washed clean of all that filth that accumulated over many centuries. (Daniel 12:9-10)
Recall that all the Jewish sects rejected Jesus and his teachings as well.....

A separation is still going on in this “time of the end”......there is still time for people to wake up to the lies that they have been led to believe for centuries.....the rot did not set in recently.....it has been in evidence for the last 1800 years....

The foretold apostasy was beginning whilst the apostles were still alive.....once they were gone, no further scripture was written, and no man could hold back the tide of evil that followed......the “weeds” took over the “field” and the rest is history.......history is not a friend of the RCC.

The reapers are ready for the harvest......are you? Act while there is still time, because once the door of opportunity is closed, it will never open again.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Adrift

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think they didn't come across teachings they didn't agree with? Not from the Apostles, but others, particularly after the apostles were gone, and even while they were still alive...
Nope, I didn't suggest that or say that or imply that in any way shape or form.

The odds are they did hear teachings from ravenous wolves who were false teachers that had entered the flock. However, as long as they followed/listened to the men of The Church that were appointed by the Apostles (Apostolic Succession) then they would be fulfilling Hebrews 13:17 and have nothing to worry about.

If they, the Bereans, read Scripture and came up with a different salvific doctrine than the successors to the Apostles then they, the Bereans, would be the false teachers and ravenous wolves spoken of in Scripture.

Last edited:

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It they, the Bereans, read Scripture and came up with a different salvific doctrine than the successors to the Apostles then they, the Bereans, would be the false teachers and ravenous wolves spoken of in Scripture.
Fair point. I would just add that the "Scriptures" that Acts 17:11 tells us the Bereans read were OT Scriptures only. (None of the NT was yet penned with the possible exception of some early Pauline letters that, if copies had made their way to Berea at all, would not yet have achieved the status of Scripture.) So it is certain that "the successors to the Apostles" -- Paul and Timothy and Silas were probably the only ones to go to Berea at the time -- were indeed pressing "a different salvific doctrine" than the OT presses, albeit one consistent with the OT. It was that consistency which the Bereans checked.

Reactions: Marymog

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What guided individual Christians who believed in the gospel but weren't living in places where there was an established church? ........The scriptures. The scriptures alone are our safeguard against heresy and false teaching.

You are looking at it wrong Brakelite. There is no "What guided the individual Christians....", there is only "Who guided the individual Christians...". Scripture, and your own historical Christian writings, make it clear how that happened. In the areas that a church was established a church leader (elder) was appointed.

You say "scriptures alone are our safeguard against heresy and false teaching". But you don't realize that your "Scripture alone" teaching is what has destroyed Christianity. Men, who believed they knew Scripture better than the elders of The Church, broke away from The Church and started their own church. Men, that used Scripture alone to come up with their interpretation of Scripture and that disagreed with those break away men broke away and started their own church. Men, that used Scripture alone to come up with their interpretation of Scripture and that disagreed with those break away men broke away and started their own church etc etc. That "Scripture alone" theory exploded during the Reformation Revolution which coincided with the printing press and put bibles in everyone's hand. Now EVERYONE was a bible scholar.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The RCC is an ancient replica of first century Judaism.....in case you were hiding behind the door...Christ changed it all.
There was no earthly priesthood in Christianity....it was all in heaven.....future tense. (Rev 20:6)
Your “Pontiff” is also a Roman relic,....nothing whatever to do with Christianity.
There were no nuns, no rosary beads, no crucifixes, no monks or distinctive clothing or titles among the first Christians....and no cloistering away from people or vows of silence. You cannot preach to the walls and speech is necessary unless you are into mental telepathy.
There were no grand ornate structures in which to worship, and the bread offered at the Lord’s Supper was broken flat bread.....it was not shaped like the sun.
The Sabbath was not commanded for Christians, and there never was a command from God to change one small part of Jewish law to accommodate the worship of the Roman sun god on his special day.
Hey Jane! It's eclipse day. It's going to be so kool. I'm excited. I've got my glasses ready. :cool:

For future reference you don't need to waste all your time degrading The Church and Christianity with your opinions. I already know how you feel about The Church. Of all the above attacks on The Church the "broken flat bread" statement was the funniest. Is that what the JW's use, broken flat bread, when partaking of communion?

Also, in regard to Apostolic Succession, you do know that Scripture talks of it in Acts 1? Since your men have taught you that there is no such thing as Apostolic Succession then that means that they are flat out telling you that what they are teaching you does not come from the Apostles. Does that concern you?

Curious Mary

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus disagrees with you.
KJV Luke 24:25-27
25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
Where does Jesus "disagree" with me?? WHERE in the OT do youfing the identity of Jesus of Nazareth?

The Bereans made tht connection from the CHURCH because of what they had been told about Jesus.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
For future reference you don't need to waste all your time degrading The Church and Christianity with your opinions. I already know how you feel about The Church.
It is not my opinion that matters…..the only opinion, with regard to our obedience to God, or lack of it, is the one appointed to judge us all (John 5:22)…..the one who imparted God’s teachings to his disciples and will separate the obedient ones from the disobedient ones at the judgment…..these are “the sheep and the goats”.
The “sheep” know that they are sheep because they have carefully kept Christ’s teachings without adding anything to them…..the “goats” are apparently deluded, imagining that they are sheep because they are so identified in their eyes only. (2 Thess 2:9-12)
They are the ones Christ our judge, will reject. (Matt 7:21-23) He calls them “workers of lawlessness”….whose laws are they breaking, I wonder…?
Of all the above attacks on The Church the "broken flat bread" statement was the funniest. Is that what the JW's use, broken flat bread, when partaking of communion?
Since the Bible itself clearly states what sort of bread was used at the last supper and what it symbolized, and it also states that Christ “broke the bread” and handed it to his apostles as a symbol of his body and the wine as a symbol of his blood, how on earth that got translated to the actual flesh and blood of Christ, escapes anyone who is not indoctrinated by your church. To eat human flesh and to drink human blood is a violation of God’s law…..but regardless of that, “the church” continues to offend the true God with its unscriptural practices.

The Romans worshipped the sun and the wafer offered is clearly depicted in your avatar….in the shape of the sun….do you think God would approve? Sun worship is seen very clearly in the Catholic church by anyone who is not Catholic. .

In St Peter’s Square.…which is not a square, but is a round Babylonian sun wheel decorated by an obelisk imported from Egypt where it represented the sun god Ra.
It was an easy ‘switcheroo’….the “sun god” was substituted for the “son of God” and so much of Roman paganism was turned into “Christian“ beliefs and practices, that the foretold apostasy (falling away from genuine Christian beliefs and practices) took over without hardly a whimper of opposition. The “weeds” were stronger than the “wheat”, but they were always there……silenced like the Pharisees silenced God’s prophets of old. (Matt23:37-38)…martyred like their Master.
Also, in regard to Apostolic Succession, you do know that Scripture talks of it in Acts 1?
Now this one really made me smile….I assume that the choosing of the disciple to replace Judas is what you are alluding to in Acts ch. 1?
There were 12 apostles for a reason….these would form the very foundation of God’s Kingdom in heaven, with Jesus as the chief cornerstone. A building was always started with one foundational cornerstone and the rest were laid in union with that stone in both directions till the whole foundation was laid….then the other stones were added to complete the building. (1 Peter 2:4-6)

Speaking of that great heavenly city, it says in Rev 21:14….
”The wall of the city also had 12 foundation stones, and on them were the 12 names of the 12 apostles of the Lamb.”
Since Judas defected and was effectively eliminated from existence by God, (as he committed the unforgivable sin) another apostle had to be chosen to replace him. Mat·thiʹas was chosen by the casting of lots, which indicated that God had chosen the one who would make up the 12.

If this is your proof of apostolic succession, then I fear that “your men” have led you so far down the wrong path, that only God can rescue you.…and he will only do that if you want to stop now and turn around, because even though you are heading in the wrong direction, you seem happy to keep going….and that is entirely your choice.…but you won’t ever be able to plead ignorance.
Since your men have taught you that there is no such thing as Apostolic Succession then that means that they are flat out telling you that what they are teaching you does not come from the Apostles. Does that concern you?
Nice try…..are you really serious ? I have to ask what concerns you?
What we believe, as a united global brotherhood, ALL came from Jesus and the apostles, not from the many deluded ”church fathers” who came after them.…the ones who created your church and laid another foundation all together….pretty much changing everything that Christ taught.

What would concern me more than anything, is men trying to tell me that they can introduce all manner of unscriptural doctrines and practices, taken straight out of paganism, and brushed with a thin veneer of Christianity, and then pass it all off as God ordained……that to me would be a colossal concern.
Curious Mary
Not curious enough Mary….you should read God’s word for yourself and ask God to guide you….to his truth….it is vastly different from what is taught in Christendom and it’s many “branches”.
Once you realize that the foundation is faulty, you can then see why the whole building is condemned and ready for demolition. (2 Cor 4:3-4; Rev 18:4-5)

Reactions: Adrift

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Where does Jesus "disagree" with me?? WHERE in the OT do youfing the identity of Jesus of Nazareth?

The Bereans made tht connection from the CHURCH because of what they had been told about Jesus.

fact that is NOT in the OT - that Jesus of Nazareth is the Christ, the Son of God.
Aaaaah, I see now what you getting at. Scripture doesn't identify who the Messiah is, the church does, and I imagine you would be using Matthew 16:16 to prove that, and therefore support the concept of 'authority'? Am I understanding you correctly?

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not my opinion that matters…..the only opinion, with regard to our obedience to God, or lack of it, is the one appointed to judge us all (John 5:22)…..the one who imparted God’s teachings to his disciples and will separate the obedient ones from the disobedient ones at the judgment…..these are “the sheep and the goats”.
The “sheep” know that they are sheep because they have carefully kept Christ’s teachings without adding anything to them…..the “goats” are apparently deluded, imagining that they are sheep because they are so identified in their eyes only. (2 Thess 2:9-12)
They are the ones Christ our judge, will reject. (Matt 7:21-23) He calls them “workers of lawlessness”….whose laws are they breaking, I wonder…?

Since the Bible itself clearly states what sort of bread was used at the last supper and what it symbolized, and it also states that Christ “broke the bread” and handed it to his apostles as a symbol of his body and the wine as a symbol of his blood, how on earth that got translated to the actual flesh and blood of Christ, escapes anyone who is not indoctrinated by your church. To eat human flesh and to drink human blood is a violation of God’s law…..but regardless of that, “the church” continues to offend the true God with its unscriptural practices.

The Romans worshipped the sun and the wafer offered is clearly depicted in your avatar….in the shape of the sun….do you think God would approve? Sun worship is seen very clearly in the Catholic church by anyone who is not Catholic. .

In St Peter’s Square.…which is not a square, but is a round Babylonian sun wheel decorated by an obelisk imported from Egypt where it represented the sun god Ra.
It was an easy ‘switcheroo’….the “sun god” was substituted for the “son of God” and so much of Roman paganism was turned into “Christian“ beliefs and practices, that the foretold apostasy (falling away from genuine Christian beliefs and practices) took over without hardly a whimper of opposition. The “weeds” were stronger than the “wheat”, but they were always there……silenced like the Pharisees silenced God’s prophets of old. (Matt23:37-38)…martyred like their Master.

Now this one really made me smile….I assume that the choosing of the disciple to replace Judas is what you are alluding to in Acts ch. 1?
There were 12 apostles for a reason….these would form the very foundation of God’s Kingdom in heaven, with Jesus as the chief cornerstone. A building was always started with one foundational cornerstone and the rest were laid in union with that stone in both directions till the whole foundation was laid….then the other stones were added to complete the building. (1 Peter 2:4-6)

Speaking of that great heavenly city, it says in Rev 21:14….
”The wall of the city also had 12 foundation stones, and on them were the 12 names of the 12 apostles of the Lamb.”
Since Judas defected and was effectively eliminated from existence by God, (as he committed the unforgivable sin) another apostle had to be chosen to replace him. Mat·thiʹas was chosen by the casting of lots, which indicated that God had chosen the one who would make up the 12.

If this is your proof of apostolic succession, then I fear that “your men” have led you so far down the wrong path, that only God can rescue you.…and he will only do that if you want to stop now and turn around, because even though you are heading in the wrong direction, you seem happy to keep going….and that is entirely your choice.…but you won’t ever be able to plead ignorance.

What we believe, as a united global brotherhood, ALL came from Jesus and the apostles, not from the many deluded ”church fathers” who came after them.…the ones who created your church and laid another foundation all together….pretty much changing everything that Christ taught.

What would concern me more than anything, is men trying to tell me that they can introduce all manner of unscriptural doctrines and practices, taken straight out of paganism, and brushed with a thin veneer of Christianity, and then pass it all off as God ordained……that to me would be a colossal concern.

Not curious enough Mary….you should read God’s word for yourself and ask God to guide you….to his truth….it is vastly different from what is taught in Christendom and it’s many “branches”.
Once you realize that the foundation is faulty, you can then see why the whole building is condemned and ready for demolition. (2 Cor 4:3-4; Rev 18:4-5)
Not to forget the despicable report by a grand jury in Pennsylvania detailing seven decades of sexual abuse of at least 1,000 children, and probably thousands more, by more than 300 Catholic priests — has left no question that Pope Francis’ legacy will be decided by how he confronts this crisis. It is devouring the "church" - erasing trust in its hierarchs, dismaying the faithful and further blackening its image. The RCC is a sinful power generator. It's all about power, greed, puppeteering the people, and providing an unchallenged magnet for pedophiles.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow....talk about twisting what was said.....are you a lawyer by any chance? You edit quotes to substantiate your accusations, then when challenged, you change it all around to become the victim...nice try.
You do your own boo hoo.

The truth is the truth and unless you can comprehend what is said to you, what point is there in any exchange? I just like the readers to have something to chew on.

The pot jumped out of the fire and received a thorough cleansing.......the kettle enjoyed being black for some reason so it stayed in the fire just becoming blacker.....my vision is 20/20 as is my hindsight, which reveals a lot about the past that you either fail to acknowledge or are a sad victim of ignorance. Can anyone be truly ignorant in today’s world of abundant information? All you need to know is at the tap of a keyboard.

You seem to be absolutely clueless as to what Christ began and how far the RCC strayed from the original model......it does not even resemble it in any way.

Praise God for that!.....the “wheat” were not going to resemble the “weeds” at all in this “time of the end”.....they were to totally separate from them.....washed clean of all that filth that accumulated over many centuries. (Daniel 12:9-10)
Recall that all the Jewish sects rejected Jesus and his teachings as well.....

A separation is still going on in this “time of the end”......there is still time for people to wake up to the lies that they have been led to believe for centuries.....the rot did not set in recently.....it has been in evidence for the last 1800 years....

The foretold apostasy was beginning whilst the apostles were still alive.....once they were gone, no further scripture was written, and no man could hold back the tide of evil that followed......the “weeds” took over the “field” and the rest is history.......history is not a friend of the RCC.

The reapers are ready for the harvest......are you? Act while there is still time, because once the door of opportunity is closed, it will never open again.
many have learned the method that cometh of the victim card .
THEY cannot defeat those who speak truth so they role out the victim card and make the one speaking truth
seem as but a monster who judges and hates . This method is VERY COMMON amongst the world
and even amongst christendom itself .
IF ya cant beat them , make them to look like an oppressor and ye as the victim . THIS WORKS BIG TIME on many .
BIG TIME .
Even WHEN JESUS walked the earth and spoke , taught truth , exposed errors
they could not win the argment by truth and thus the message was OH he is beside himself , oh he is of the devil .
YET they could not convict him of sin . but boy they had a lot of accusations didnt they .
THE TRUTH cannot be overcome , thus those who know not the truth will use every card they can
to put it on EMOTIONS so as they can then win the argument . this is not a new tactic at all . But it sure has grown in these last hours .

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Very true.

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very true.
He who she who sippeth of a harlots cup drinketh down poison and destruction .
And he or she who eateth the bread at her table will vomit up the sweet words ....................
He who enters into the chambers of the well favored harlot , whose influence is now upon and over the world , its kings , leaders and peoples , know not they have entered into a covenant of second death and that those within are the dead .
THERE is a HARLOT of all harlots at work upon this earth
and her appearance is as though she is OF us , but SHE IS NOT OF US at all .
And her prophets and teachers have a lamblike appearance but speak as do a dragon . FOLKS better watch OUT .

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not my opinion that matters…..
I know. That's why I said, "For future reference you don't need to waste all your time degrading The Church and Christianity with your opinions." ;)

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since the Bible itself clearly states what sort of bread was used at the last supper .......
Hi Jane,

Ummmm.....YOU said "the bread offered at the Lord’s Supper was broken flat bread" and Scripture does not say it was flat bread sooooo what am I missing here? It was leavened bread.

Last edited:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since the Bible itself clearly states what sort of bread was used at the last supper and what it symbolized, and it also states that Christ “broke the bread” and handed it to his apostles as a symbol of his body and the wine as a symbol of his blood, how on earth that got translated to the actual flesh and blood of Christ, escapes anyone who is not indoctrinated by your church.
Jesus said we must eat His body in the bread of life discourse. He then showed us how to do it at the last supper. Jesus did not say what you allege he said. Here is what he said: Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. At no point and at no time did He say the bread was a "symbol". At no point and at no time do the Apostles teach that it was a symbol.

Paul asked the question,
The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? Your answer to Paul is, NO Paul! It is NOT a communion of the body of Christ. It is a symbol of His body.

So should I believe Jesus and Paul? Or should I believe you? Tough decision here......:IDK:

And, if you knew your Christian history, you would know that the earliest teachings of The Church were that communion was what Jesus said it was, a participation in His body.

Keeping it real with Scripture and Christian history.......Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Glad I can make you smile.

I shouldn't have assumed that your men taught you all of Scripture, Christian history or that you have the desire to learn either.

In 1 Timothy 1:6 and 4:14 Paul reminds Timothy that the office of bishop had been conferred on him through the laying on of hands. In 1 Timothy 5:22 that Paul advises Timothy not to be hasty in handing on this authority to others. In Titus Paul describes the apostolic authority Titus had received and urges him to act decisively in this leadership role. In 2 Timothy 2:2 Paul says to Timothy, And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also. That's 3 generations of Apostolic Succession Jane. Are you suggesting Paul thought it was ok for Apostolic Succesion to end after 3 generations?

Peter cites the Psalms (“May their camp be a desolation, let no one dwell in their tents” [69:25] and “May his days be few; may another seize his goods!” [109:8]) when they replaced Judas with Mathias. Is your theory that once Mathias is dead no one replaces him via a vote or appointment? Or when anyone that Mathias appoints to lead a church dies that person isn't replaced by a vote?

In Paul's letter to Titus he wrote:
For this reason I left you in Crete, that you should set in order the things that are lacking, and appoint elders in every city as I commanded you—That passage means that an appointed elder who is succeeding Paul, Titus, is authorized to appoint elders in every city. Titus succeeds Paul and anyone that Titus appoints succeeds him etc etc.

As for us Christians we have historical Christian writings to support what we teach. Those writings, of which your men reject, teach us that Clement, Polycarp and Ignatius were successors to the Apostles.

Keeping it real with ALL of Scripture and Christian history......Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And once again your men are lying to you Jane. THAT is pretty serious and THAT is what concerns me and

All did NOT come from Jesus and the Apostles. There were some that were disciples of Jesus and the Apostles and preached in His name. What happened to them Jane? Scripture makes that clear:

They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. 24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

Your men are preaching in His name also. That is my concern.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have read God's word for myself. Clearly you have not. I have quoted God's word to you in the last several posts to destroy what your men have taught you.

Your branch started 1,800+ years after the death of Christ. Does that concern you Jane? Whom do you trust more when interpreting Scripture? The men who were students of the Apostles OR your men who interpreted Scripture 1,800+ years later? Your foundation started in the 1870's. I can show you that mine started 2,000 years ago.

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think God cares what shape the Eucharist is and Scripture does not tell us what shape it is required to be. The Church uses unleavened bread to make it, just like the bread Christ used at the last supper. Archaeological research demonstrate the round form of the Eucharist from pictures found in the catacombs, and Pope St. Zephyrinus (A. D. 201-219) calls the altar-bread "coronam sive oblatam sphericae figurae". There is zero evidence that it was intently made in the shape of the sun to honor the Roman sun god.