Where in the scripture is anyone called to be a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joh_5:31 If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.

Joh_5:32 There is another that beareth witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesseth of me is true.

Rom_8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:..@Ziggy Saint of God
..what is the "witness"..that we are CHILDREN of God?@ZiggyView attachment 21565

Heb_10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,...

1Pe_5:1 The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed:

1Jn_5:6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

1Jn_5:9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.....not the "Peter tells me..."

1Jn_5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.

Rev_20:4 And I saw
thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

I'm working on charity and tolerance today.
Like I do everyday.
Just some days need more attention than others.

Zec 4:11 Then answered I, and said unto him, What are these two olive trees upon the right side of the candlestick and upon the left side thereof?
Zec 4:12 And I answered again, and said unto him, What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves?
Zec 4:13 And he answered me and said, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord.
Zec 4:14 Then said he, These are the two anointed ones, that stand by the Lord of the whole earth.

The word Christian comes from the Greek word christianos which is derived from the word christos or Christ, which means "anointed one."A Christian, then, is someone who is a follower of Christ.
Christian

Jhn 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

HUGS
:D

Reactions: Lambano and Johann

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
....and no mention of the Holy Spirit Titus?
View attachment 21566

No, not true,
When Jesus left the earth, He told His apostles that they would be guided into all truth by His Spirit whom He would send.
Now, Johann if you read how all those in the new testament were taught the gospel it was by what?

Answer: THE APOSTLES(MEN) GUIDED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT!

These men taught the gospel to other men by the power of Gods Spirit!
No one was directly taught the gospel by the Holy Spirit Himself!
Only the apostles were directly guided into ALL truth.
Some early Christians were given miraculous gifts.
But no one but the apostles were given ALL MIRACULOUS KNOWLEDGE OF THE TRUTH.
This is why Jesus commands His apostles to go to the whole world and preach the gospel.

There are no apostles today.
God now calls us through the revelation of the Holy Spirit.
That revelation is the new testament!

We learn the truth by the written word.

1John 5:13
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you MAY KNOWTHAT YOU HAVE ETERNAL LIFE, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

How do we have the Holy Spirit reveal himself to us today?

By His revelation that was delivered through the apostles, then written by inspiration of the Holy Spirit,
Ie The Holy Bible!

We do not know we are saved by a feeling
We know we are saved by the written word that the Holy Spirit revealed!

That is how the Holy Spirit calls us today.
Not by a direct operation of the Holy Spirit that calvinist's teach today.

If calvinism be true then we do not need the Holy sacred written word the gospel to be called.

In calvinist theology the Holy Spirit calls us before we even hear the gospel! False teaching!

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ For it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the jew first and also for the gentile.

Last edited:

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Anyone who thinks being called a christian is a bad thing, is not a saint. I cant believe the nonsense you’re talking about. This is heresy!! You claim to be saved, yet deny being a christian??? This is the stuff people got burned at the stake over.
Correct

30950b54-d6a8-4d7b-8d44-47c473edde93.jpg

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
No, not true,
When Jesus left the earth, He told His apostles that they would be guided into all truth by His Spirit whom He would send.
Now, Johann if you read how all those in the new testament were taught the gospel it was by what?

Answer: THE APOSTLES(MEN) GUIDED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT!

These men taught the gospel to other men by the power of Gods Spirit!
No one was directly taught the gospel by the Holy Spirit Himself!
Only the apostles were directly guided into ALL truth.
Some early Christians were given miraculous gifts.
But no one but the apostles were given ALL MIRACULOUS KNOWLEDGE OF THE TRUTH.
This is why Jesus commands His apostles to go to the whole world and preach the gospel.

There are no apostles today.
God now calls us through the revelation of the Holy Spirit.
That revelation is the new testament!

We learn the truth by the written word.

1John 5:13
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you MAY KNOWTHAT YOU HAVE ETERNAL LIFE, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

How do we have the Holy Spirit reveal himself to us today?

By His revelation that was delivered through the apostles, then written by inspiration of the Holy Spirit,
Ie The Holy Bible!

We do not know we are saved by a feeling
We know we are saved by the written word the the Holy Spirit revealed!

That is how the Holy Spirit calls us today.
Not by a direct operation of the Holy Spirit that calvinist's teach today.

If calvinism be true the we do not need the Holy sacred written word the gospel to be called.

In calvinist theology the Holy Spirit calls us before we even hear the gospel! False teaching!

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ For it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the jew first and also for the gentile.
I fully concur dear brother in Christ
Shalom to you and family
JohanLet The Lion Loose.jpg

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Joh_5:31 If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.

Joh_5:32 There is another that beareth witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesseth of me is true.

Rom_8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:..@Ziggy Saint of God
..what is the "witness"..that we are CHILDREN of God?@ZiggyView attachment 21565

Heb_10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,...

1Pe_5:1 The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed:

1Jn_5:6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

1Jn_5:9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.....not the "Peter tells me..."

1Jn_5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.

Rev_20:4 And I saw
thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
But where does it say we are to be called Christians...writing a wall of text does not answer the question.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But where does it say we are to be called Christians...writing a wall of text does not answer the question.

]Hello saint of God!
Nice to speak with you,
First time interaction, I believe.

God names his people a new name long ago,
Isaiah 62:2
The gentiles shall see your righteousness, and all kings your glory.
You shall be called by a new name,
Which the mouth of the Lord will name.

The Lord will name His children by a new name.

That name is the same name that is the only name by which all are saved!
Acts 4:12
Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.

This saving name will be given among men.

Now who's name did Peter say we are saved by?
Jesus Christ!

The name Christian is wearing the Name of Jesus Christ.
Right after the very first gospel sermon of Jesus was preached by Peter in Acts chapter 2.
Those who obeyed the gospel who were saved by the Savior Jesus were called Christians!

Acts 11:26
And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

There it is friend! When those Jews were converted to Christ through obeying His gospel,
God named His people by a new name, and that name they wore was CHRISTian!

To not wear the only name under heaven that saves is to be ashamed to be named after your Saviour.

It is false that Christian was given to Jesus' disciples by those who opposed the way, only as a derogatory label.
It is God who named His people after Christ Jesus!

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
]Hello saint of God!
Nice to speak with you,
First time interaction, I believe.

God names his people a new name long ago,
Isaiah 62:2

The Lord will name His children by a new name.

That name is the same name that is the only name by which all are saved!
Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.

This saving name will be given among men.

Now who's name did Peter say we are saved by?
Jesus Christ!

The name Christian is wearing the Name of Jesus Christ.
Right after the very first gospel sermon of Jesus was preached by Peter in Acts chapter 2.
Those who obeyed the gospel who were saved by the Savior Jesus were called Christians!

Acts 11:26
And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

There it is friend! When those Jews were converted to Christ through obeying His gospel,
God named His people by a new name, and that name they wore was CHRISTian!

To not wear the only name under heaven that saves is to be ashamed to be named after your Saviour.

It is false that Christian was given to Jesus' disciples by those who opposed the way, only as a derogatory label.
It is God who named His people after Christ Jesus!
Please support your assertions with citations...Jesus is the Christ therefore Christ is not his name or surname. You are making up stories. I asked where in the scripture does God call anyone to be a Christian...you have to show a passage that says "Called to be Christians" As in
Romans 1:7
To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
writing a wall of text does not answer the question.
..and that is the problem,there is a tendency to depart from scripture and "lean on your own understanding" and then, conversely, some are quoting scriptures without any illumination from the Spirit and no witness @Ziggy
1Co_7:20 Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.

Eph_1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

Php_3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

2Ti_1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Heb_3:1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

2Pe_1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

82 Bible verses about Names And Titles For The Christian

Ah, dear friend, preach the WHOLE gospel-you want to call yourself a saint, that's fine, if others prefer to be known as Christians, that's fine, we are all running a race..hopefully together.

Blessings
JohannTumblr.jpg

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
..and that is the problem,there is a tendency to depart from scripture and "lean on your own understanding" and then, conversely, some are quoting scriptures without any illumination from the Spirit and no witness @Ziggy

Eph_1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

Php_3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

2Ti_1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Heb_3:1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

2Pe_1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

Ah, dear friend, preach the WHOLE gospel-you want to call yourself a saint, that's fine, if others prefer to be known as Christians, that's fine, we are all running a race..hopefully together.

Blessings
JohannView attachment 21570
Great Spurgeon quote, @Johann ..... :)

Reactions: BarneyFife

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

St John's Parish in front of the White House, Washington DC 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GceHl7sXHPw

Sometimes you have to push back.

iu

Time is short for the evildoers.
But we will reign with Christ 1000 years
Amen
Hugs

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh..Ziggy, I am really not interested in politics
Blessings
Johann
I know.
I was showing a correlation between the videos you shared and what is happening now in the States.
They were never forgotten, only sleeping.
And they are waking up again today.
All around the world fires are burning. Christians are under attack in every corner.
And it's getting hot in here.
I watch prophecy.
Mat 24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

Hugs

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please support your assertions with citations...Jesus is the Christ therefore Christ is not his name or surname. You are making up stories. I asked where in the scripture does God call anyone to be a Christian...you have to show a passage that says "Called to be Christians" As in
Romans 1:7
To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Christ means Messiah
There is only one Messiah.
Jesus is the Messiah.

When God called His people after a new name, He called us after the Savior, Messiah, Jesus.

To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God

]Isaiah 62:2

This name is the name by which men are saved!

Is saint the name by which men are saved?
The Savior is who makes us saints.
But it is the Messiah that His people are named after!

That Messiah is Jesus, also called,

Advocate
Lamb of God
The ressurection and the Life
Shephard and Bishop of souls
Judge
Lord of Lords
Man of sorrows
Head of the church
Master
Faithful and true Witness
Rock
High priest
The Door
Living Water
Bread of Life
Rose of Sharon
Alpha and Omega
True Vine
Messiah
Teacher
Holy One
The Beloved
Branch
Carpenter
Good Shepard
Light of the World
Image of the invisible God
The Word
Chief cornerstone
Savior
Servant
Author and finisher of our faith
The Almighty
Everlasting Father
Shiloh
Lion of the tribe of Judah
I Am
King of Kings
Prince of peace
Bridegroom
Only begotten Son
Wonderful Counselor
Immanuel
Son of Man
Dayspring
The Amen
King of the Jews
Prophet
Redeemer
Anchor
Bright and morning star
The Way, the Truth and the Life,

The assertion is that Chrisrian was only used by those who were enemies of Christians, as catholic doctrine teaches.

Paul had no problem using the name Christ,

Romans 16:16
Greet one another with a holy kiss, the churches of Christ salute you.

Paul was proud of the name Christ,

Acts 26:28-29
Then Agrippa said to Paul, You almost persuade me to be a christian.
And Paul said, I would to God that not only you but also ALL who hear me today, might become both almost and altogether such as I am, except for these chains.

Paul desires Agrippa and All to become christians!
Peter was not ashamed to be called christian.

1Peter 4:16
Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in this manner.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I know.
I was showing a correlation between the videos you shared and what is happening now in the States.
They were never forgotten, only sleeping.
And they are waking up again today.
All around the world fires are burning. Christians are under attack in every corner.
And it's getting hot in here.
I watch prophecy.
Mat 24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
Amen Ziggy, you're right, it is getting hot Lol!
Hugs

Reactions: Ziggy

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yall still arguing with that heretic???
Heres what we know…. He says we are not called out specifically to be christian, so you dont wanna be a christian.
He says the word “trinity” isnt in the Bible so he says the doctrine of the Trinity is false.
He says that since there is no mentioning specifically about children getting baptized, baby baptism is wrong.

what he is doing is what paul said not to do. Romans 4:15. Dont make a law where there is none. He’s just another heretic.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Yall still arguing with that heretic???
Heres what we know…. He says we are not called out specifically to be christian, so you dont wanna be a christian.
He says the word “trinity” isnt in the Bible so he says the doctrine of the Trinity is false.
He says that since there is no mentioning specifically about children getting baptized, baby baptism is wrong.

what he is doing is what paul said not to do. Romans 4:15. Dont make a law where there is none. He’s just another heretic.
...some more

Rom_7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

Rom_7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Blessings
j.I may know all the doctrines quote - Courageous Christian Father.jpg

Reactions: Lambano

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
It began at Antioch at a time when the disciples were persecuted therefore it couldn't have a good meaning
well, the followers of Jesus Christ were first called "Christians" there, yes

Saints existed long before the term Christian
not sure the point there, or how you might know that for sure, but ok

If Christians meant such a good thing why were they being thrown in jail and killed?
well i dont recall saying anything about "good," just that the term was not new

Last edited:
Reactions: BarneyFife

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago

Blessings
JohannView attachment 21570
let's not stray from the OP The question is where does the scripture say God called us to be a Christian...

Status
Not open for further replies.