Where is hell? Where is heaven?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You will doubtless be accused of such.
Ah, yes, and my flesh is at time sensitive to incorrect accusations especially when too much time had elapsed since I was in a closet alone with God. Still praying that God will help me attain to that 'praying without ceasing' and 'rejoicing in the Lord always'! Oh, to always control my tongue:

"For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be." James 3:7-10

We cannot, but God in us can do all things... if we will not quench His Spirit!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, you must sin as Enoch111 sins, or you must not sin at all.
Or considering then how Jesus expressed himself here:

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Matt 5:48

Can we get someone who has all of the right answers to back us up all of the time so we only sin the "right" way?

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is it?

I do not stand absolutely immoveable on this ground as if my say must be the final say, but the common interpretations I have heard from others really do not fit the whole picture I have seen. I also see still as through a glass darkly which is why I do not insist it is right and all others are wrong.

Hello amadeus,

I'm not even sure its important for us to know the final disposition of the dead.

Whether they be in some manner conscious of their own eternal separation from all that is good, or are completely destroyed so that only the memory (smoke?) of them remains. I do not wish to be amongst them... Let us, in all things, choose Life!

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things

Peace!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Without end, obviously.
No, you are presuming Webster's definition or a definition you have learned rather than one that actually fits all usages in the scriptures. Below is just a small sampling the usage of the word "for ever"... Believe me there is more than one to which your "obvious" definition will not work without some twisting or something:

Ex 12:24 And ye shall observe this thing for an ordinance to thee and to thy sons for ever.

Ex 21:6 Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl; and he shall serve him for ever.

Ex 28:43 And they shall be upon Aaron, and upon his sons, when they come in unto the tabernacle of the congregation, or when they come near unto the altar to minister in the holy place; that they bear not iniquity, and die: it shall be a statute for ever unto him and his seed after him.

Ex 30:21 So they shall wash their hands and their feet, that they die not: and it shall be a statute for ever to them, even to him and to his seed throughout their generations.

Le 6:18 All the males among the children of Aaron shall eat of it. It shall be a statute for ever in your generations concerning the offerings of the LORD made by fire: every one that toucheth them shall be holy.

Le 16:29 And this shall be a statute for ever unto you: that in the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month, ye shall afflict your souls, and do no work at all, whether it be one of your own country, or a stranger that sojourneth among you:

Le 25:23 The land shall not be sold for ever: for the land is mine; for ye are strangers and sojourners with me.

Nu 18:8 And the LORD spake unto Aaron, Behold, I also have given thee the charge of mine heave offerings of all the hallowed things of the children of Israel; unto thee have I given them by reason of the anointing, and to thy sons, by an ordinance for ever

Jos 8:28 And Joshua burnt Ai, and made it an heap for ever, even a desolation unto this day.

2ki 5:27 The leprosy therefore of Naaman shall cleave unto thee, and unto thy seed for ever. And he went out from his presence a leper as white as snow.

1ch 16:34 O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever.

But then:
Nu 14:18 The LORD is longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation.
Nu 14:19 Pardon, I beseech thee, the iniquity of this people according unto the greatness of thy mercy, and as thou hast forgiven this people, from Egypt even until now.
Nu 14:20 And the LORD said, I have pardoned according to thy word:
Nu 14:21 But as truly as I live, all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the LORD.
Nu 14:22 Because all those men which have seen my glory, and my miracles, which I did in Egypt and in the wilderness, and have tempted me now these ten times, and have not hearkened to my voice;
Nu 14:23 Surely they shall not see the land which I sware unto their fathers, neither shall any of them that provoked me see it:

De 23:3 An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to their tenth generation shall they not enter into the congregation of the LORD for ever:

And then when there is no more time, what happens to "for ever"?

"And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer:" Rev 10:6

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus, my friend, most people will never lay hold of this text:

Job 11
6And that he would shew thee the secrets of wisdom, that they are double to that which is! Know therefore that God exacteth of thee less than thine iniquity deserveth.
7Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection?
8It is as high as heaven; what canst thou do? deeper than hell; what canst thou know?
9The measure thereof is longer than the earth, and broader than the sea.
10If he cut off, and shut up, or gather together, then who can hinder him?

They have their Bibles, and they presume all that can be known of Him is limited to the surface-reading of its roughly 3/4 million words.

They do not see that the Bible was written not only to give knowledge but to inspire wonder!

Empirical, existential, objective (take your pick) "reality" is subject to the whim of His lips. He is a God of order but He has made it plain that that which goeth forth from His mouth shall not return unto Him void.

I have heard great teachers and preachers actually suggest that God Himself is bound by the constraints of time--some thing of which He Himself is the very Author and Constructor. Utter balderdash! Buffalo bagels!

If He so wished, He could hit the celestial -undo- button, and erase everything that has happened for any amount of time that He deemed pleasing to Himself.

We puny humans had best get over the notion that we can make Him in our image.

Sorry. Didn't mean to digress and derail. :)

Heaven and Hell are subjects about which I am usually quite orthodox and dogmatic because of my estimation of the abundance of error taught about them, but I do recognize the value of them as abstract objects.

I'm in for it now, I suppose. :oops::eek::p
Just so!

Everyone wants to put God into a box... That goes for me too. Only when He is always leading us and we are always following Him, will we always get it right. Who has done that? Who is able to do that? Only by the power of God in us is it even a possibility... but quenching the Spirit for some people is, [so it seems to me] a more regular thing than yielding to the Spirit. I won't say it is impossible because Jesus told us the Way... but people too often come to a comfortable place on the road and stop. Even though there is more road ahead and time for them they will not leave their apparent comfort zone... That is a serious delusion. We are never to stop until we are really able to hear Him say to us in effect:

"His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." Matt 25:21

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are not many people today effectively dead and in the grave in the eyes of God? All of us were there, but Jesus was sent into this place of death, this grave, this hell, this prison of ours and he preached to us. Some of us listened and are listening. Some of us have done something right with what we heard.

Jesus has visited me in my hell. He is helping me replace hell with heaven. Is he similarly helping you?

He's teaching me not to sin and how to be charitable. I believe hell is in the heart of the earth, where Jesus visited for 3 days and nights (Matthew 12:40). Heaven I don't know where it is, but I think I know what it feels like perhaps (Galatians 5:22-25).

Reactions: amadeus

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Nancy @BarnyFife @Backlit @Helen @101G @Hidden In Him @stredaleve @Heart2Soul @Mayflower @Triumph1300 and @everyone else interested...

And where is heaven, the place some sing about wanting to make it their home? Was not Jesus in heaven whilst still walking around on planet Earth as a man 2,000 years ago even before he went to the cross? If there are three heavens then what would be the difference between them? What if a shadow of the 3rd heaven is seen n the upper most level of the ark of Noah, where 8 persons rode out the storm; and the lowest level were a shadow of the 1st heaven wherein which the unclean beasts were saved from the flood? In between we see the other beasts, cleaned up already, but still beasts as in a 2nd heaven.

Do we suppose that to see God face to face we would have to attain to 3rd heaven? Surely no beasts there?

But then man born a beast even when he has been saved must have the uncleanness cleaned up and finally kill his beasts completely or...?

"I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts." Ecc 3:18

"Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:
She hath killed her beasts; she hath mingled her wine; she hath also furnished her table." Prov. 9:1-2

And where would one get this Wisdom?

"So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding." Prov. 2:2-6

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding" Prov 9:10
Addressing the OP, here. "where is heaven", and "If there are three heavens then what would be the difference between them?"

there ar three heavens, and the difference between them is, A. one of them is "Time", B.. the other is "Space", and C. the third one encompase the other two. for the first two are created, and has effect of time and space. but third is neither. as for hell, and heaven the third one is of God. for the conscious torment?, and for the unconscious nothing?... for the dead knowes nothing. but God is in charge of both, Jeremiah 23:23 "Am I a God at hand, saith the LORD, and not a God afar off?" Jeremiah 23:24 "Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD."

I'll take the position of the prophet DAVID, Psalms 139:6 "Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it."
Psalms 139:7 "Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?"
Psalms 139:8 "If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there."
Psalms 139:9 "If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;"
Psalms 139:10 "Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me."
Psalms 139:11 "If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me."
Psalms 139:12 "Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee."
Psalms 139:13 "For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb."
Psalms 139:14 "I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well."

Psalms 139:17 "How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!"
Psalms 139:18 "If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee."

and as God said, by his apostle, God is not the God of the Living only. but of the DEAD also. so that changes any dynamic of anyone's thinking. Romans 14:7 "For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself."
Romans 14:8 "For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's."
Romans 14:9 "For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living."

so I leave it to him.

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello amadeus,

I'm not even sure its important for us to know the final disposition of the dead.
Unless there is a likelihood or even a chance that we might be among them when we run out of our own allotted time. We should never quit striving toward and surrendering to God. This is one of the dangers of getting too secure in a doctrine like OSAS as I see it. We don't want to already be dead in the eyes of God when we die.

Whether they be in some manner conscious of their own eternal separation from all that is good, or are completely destroyed so that only the memory (smoke?) of them remains. I do not wish to be amongst them... Let us, in all things, choose Life!
Personally I am not really deeply involved in these concerns, but sometimes we must let others know where we are, even if they will not agree or even strongly disagree. Hopefully just paying attention will instigate them to renew their focus on Him. Sometimes I do like to remain silent but then I find myself directed to do otherwise. Give God the glory!

Indeed, let us in all things, choose Life!

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things
Give God the glory!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He's teaching me not to sin and how to be charitable. I believe hell is in the heart of the earth, where Jesus visited for 3 days and nights (Matthew 12:40). Heaven I don't know where it is, but I think I know what it feels like perhaps (Galatians 5:22-25).
Charity is above faith and hope so you are not wrong to go that way. I, as you have seen, have some other ideas which are unpopular with some, but when we are working in charity as per I Cor 13:4-7 will not God be pleased with both of us?

I believe that sometimes God shows us things in our heart, which we are unable to express with our mouths to another person who understands and accepts it just as we do. If we are sincere in our love for God and Truth, He will direct us truly as He wants us to go. We are not all the same member of the Body or Christ with precisely the same function nor do we all have the same measure of maturity in Him. We can discuss, but unless we are the Head [Jesus] or we are directed by the Head we should be very slow to put down anyone else who is in another place but is calling on Him.

"And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
For he that is not against us is on our part." Mark 9:38-40

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP, here. "where is heaven", and "If there are three heavens then what would be the difference between them?"

there ar three heavens, and the difference between them is, A. one of them is "Time", B.. the other is "Space", and C. the third one encompase the other two. for the first two are created, and has effect of time and space. but third is neither. as for hell, and heaven the third one is of God. for the conscious torment?, and for the unconscious nothing?... for the dead knowes nothing. but God is in charge of both, Jeremiah 23:23 "Am I a God at hand, saith the LORD, and not a God afar off?" Jeremiah 23:24 "Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD."

I'll take the position of the prophet DAVID, Psalms 139:6 "Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it."
Psalms 139:7 "Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?"
Psalms 139:8 "If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there."
Psalms 139:9 "If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;"
Psalms 139:10 "Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me."
Psalms 139:11 "If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me."
Psalms 139:12 "Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee."
Psalms 139:13 "For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb."
Psalms 139:14 "I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well."

Psalms 139:17 "How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!"
Psalms 139:18 "If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee."

and as God said, by his apostle, God is not the God of the Living only. but of the DEAD also. so that changes any dynamic of anyone's thinking. Romans 14:7 "For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself."
Romans 14:8 "For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's."
Romans 14:9 "For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living."

so I leave it to him.

PICJAG

Leave it to Him indeed!

Thank you for your input here. The whole of scripture may used by God to speak to us with what He knows that we need to hear. Too many people too worried about tomorrow and about what is to happen after the dirt is shoveled over their faces. Sometimes speaking of heaven and hell helps them because there is so much misinformation dispensed and accepted almost without question:

"This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." Matt 6:33-34

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Leave it to Him indeed!

Thank you for your input here. The whole of scripture may used by God to speak to us with what He knows that we need to hear. Too many people too worried about tomorrow and about what is to happen after the dirt is shoveled over their faces. Sometimes speaking of heaven and hell helps them because there is so much misinformation dispensed and accepted almost without question:

"This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." Matt 6:33-34
on point.

PICJAG

Reactions: amadeus

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Charity is above faith and hope so you are not wrong to go that way. I, as you have seen, have some other ideas which are unpopular with some, but when we are working in charity as per I Cor 13:4-7 will not God be pleased with both of us?

I believe that sometimes God shows us things in our heart, which we are unable to express with our mouths to another person who understands and accepts it just as we do. If we are sincere in our love for God and Truth, He will direct us truly as He wants us to go. We are not all the same member of the Body or Christ with precisely the same function nor do we all have the same measure of maturity in Him. We can discuss, but unless we are the Head [Jesus] or we are directed by the Head we should be very slow to put down anyone else who is in another place but is calling on Him.

"And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
For he that is not against us is on our part." Mark 9:38-40

I've spent 5 years using physics and math to express what God has said to me. But that's another story, he expresses a lot of charity to me.

Reactions: Pisteuo and amadeus