Where is the Arminian "foresight of faith" for God's choosing?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When God speaks of foreknowledge of His people, he is speaking of caring for and loving them, not merely foreseeing their conduct or behavior. He speaks of foreknowing persons, not acts of them. God did not elect and choose his people based on their foreseen faith! That idea comes from religious humanism, not the Holy Bible! That may fit a man-made theology, but it is NOT biblical.

There is a background for this in the OT -

"You only have I known of all the families of the earth: therefore I will visit upon you all your iniquities." (Amos 3:2, ASV)
or
"You alone I have cared for among all the nations of the world; that is why I shall punish you for all your wrongdoing." (Amos 3:2, REB)
or
“Of all the nations on earth, you are the only one I have known and cared for. That is what makes your sins so terrible, and that is why I must punish you for them.” (Amos 3:2, GNB92)

Then in the NT concerning salvation of his elect -

"For whom he foreknew(verb proginosko), he also foreordained to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren:" (Rom 8:29, ASV)
or
"Those whom God had already chosen he also set apart to become like his Son, so that the Son would be the first among many believers." (Rom 8:29, GNB92)

"God did not cast off his people which he foreknew(verb proginosko). Or know ye not what the scripture saith of Elijah? how he pleadeth with God against Israel...Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace." (Rom 11:2,5 ASV)
or
"God has not rejected his people, whom he chose from the beginning. You know what the scripture says in the passage where Elijah pleads with God against Israel...It is the same way now: there is a small number left of those whom God has chosen because of his grace. (Rom 11:2,5 GNB92)

"Christ: who was foreknown(verb proginosko) indeed before the foundation of the world, but was manifested at the end of the times for your sake" (1Pet 1:20, ASV)
or
"He was predestined before the foundation of the world, but in this last period of time he has been revealed for your sake." (1Pet 1:20, REB)

Compare 1 Pet 1:20 with Acts 2:23

"...this man[Jesus], handed over to you according to the definite plan and foreknowledge(noun prognosis) of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of those outside the law." (Acts 2:23, NRSV) * the "definite plan" is equated with "foreknowledge"

"Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the elect who are sojourners of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, according to the foreknowledge(noun prognosis) of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied." (1Pet 1:1-2, ASV)
or
"Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To the exiles of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, who have been chosen and destined by God the Father and sanctified by the Spirit to be obedient to Jesus Christ and to be sprinkled with his blood: May grace and peace be yours in abundance." (1Pet 1:1-2, NRSV)

From the BDAG Greek-English Lexicon -
noun prognosis "predetermination, of God’s omniscient wisdom and intention (so Alex. Aphr., Fat. 30 p. 200, 31 Br.; Proverbia Aesopi 131 P.; Jdth 9:6; Just., D. 92, 5 πρόγνωσιν ἔχων) w. βουλή Ac 2:23. κατὰ πρόγνωσιν θεοῦ πατρός destined by God the Father (NRSV) 1 Pt 1:2 (Just., D. 134, 4; s. WArndt, CTM 9, 1929, 41–43).—DELG s.v. γιγνώσκω. M-M. TW."

Jesus in the following statement certainly knew by foresight the existence of and works of those false professors, but he did NOT know/love/care for them.

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (Matt 7:22-23, KJV)

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
God did not elect and choose his people based on their foreseen faith! That idea comes from religious humanism, not the Holy Bible! That may fit a man-made theology, but it is NOT biblical.
And yet it is a characteristic of God to always know all things

Heb 4:12-13 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it pierces even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow. It judges the thoughts and intentions of the heart. (13) Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight; everything is uncovered and exposed before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.