Where is the reformation in the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
VATICAN CITY – On the first Sunday of Lent, Pope Francis said if we want to fight against the temptation of sin, we must be familiar with the Word of God – treating the Bible more like how we treat our cellphone.

“During the forty days of Lent, as Christians we are called to follow in the footsteps of Jesus and address the spiritual battle against evil with the power of the Word of God,” he said March 5. “For this you have to become familiar with the Bible, read it often, meditate on it, assimilate it.”

“Someone said: what would happen if we treated the Bible like we treat our cell phone? If we always carried it with us; or at least the small pocket-sized Gospel, what would happen?”

Pope Francis spoke to pilgrims before leading the Angelus in St. Peter’s Square, drawing a stark comparison between the attention we give our cellphones and the attention we give Scripture, for example, always taking it with us, and going back if we forget it at home.

“You forget you mobile phone – oh! I do not have it, I go back to look for it; if you read the messages of God contained in the Bible as we read the messages of the phone…” he said.

You -- the pope and you -- your bluff, does not fool everyone.

Psa 51:6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bible societies were condemned for there teaching of errors
Someone it seems is always condemning someone. Look at the secular political scene on planet Earth!

But... among people who are claiming the label of 'follower of Christ' [Christian?], be they called Catholic, or Protestant or Other, too many words are thrown too much of the time without real love or concern for those against whom they are thrown. People at this point of some discussions [if it even really is a discussion rather than some of the other things which happen on this forum] will often then point out that Jesus spoke harshly at times against people.

Jesus did, but if we are using such a comparison to excuse ourselves, we had also better have the same flawless never sinning Spirit that Jesus always had when he did such things.

Jesus said this:

"Judge not, that ye be not judged.
For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye." Matt 7:1-5

And Paul said this:

"For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." II Cor 10:12

Because we count ourselves as being on the side of best knowledge, does that then exempt us from what Jesus said and what Paul said? People may adjust or interpret the words so written so that their own position will appear to good in their own eyes, but what does God see in each one of us... without regard to which sides we believe we have taken...

Give God the glory!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Someone it seems is always condemning someone. Look at the secular political scene on planet Earth!

But... among people who are claiming the label of 'follower of Christ' [Christian?], be they called Catholic, or Protestant or Other, too many words are thrown too much of the time without real love or concern for those against whom they are thrown. People at this point of some discussions [if it even really is a discussion rather than some of the other things which happen on this forum] will often then point out that Jesus spoke harshly at times against people.

Jesus did, but if we are using such a comparison to excuse ourselves, we had also better have the same flawless never sinning Spirit that Jesus always had when he did such things.

Jesus said this:

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye." Matt 7:1-5

And Paul said this:

"For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." II Cor 10:12

Because we count ourselves as being on the side of best knowledge, does that then exempt us from what Jesus said and what Paul said? People may adjust or interpret the words so written so that their own position will appear to good in their own eyes, but what does God see in each one of us... without regard to which sides we believe we have taken...

Give God the glory!

the church’s or apostles first duty it to safeguard the sacred deposit of faith and the faithful from all error, & heresy!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the church’s or apostles first duty it to safeguard the sacred deposit of faith and the faithful from all error, & heresy!
And Fellowship, don't forget fellowship!

1Jo 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

Hugs

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't have a cell phone
You miss the point. The pope isn't telling people to have a cell phone, he is telling the faithful to read the Bible frequently, contrary to the myths and lies of anti-Catholics.
Reading false translations was forbidden, the same as Protestants who reject a gender free bible.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You miss the point. The pope isn't telling people to have a cell phone, he is telling the faithful to read the Bible frequently, contrary to the myths and lies of anti-Catholics.
Reading false translations was forbidden, the same as Protestants who reject a gender free bible.
No, I didn't miss it.
Just saying, I don't have the same distractions most do today.
What is a gender free bible???

I'm too old for this...
Hugs

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you then the voice or the church or are you an apostle? On first duty, what then would you say about this?

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

If we fail then to make these things first, what will the rest matter to us then ultimately?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you then the voice or the church or are you an apostle? On first duty, what then would you say about this?

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

If we fail then to make these things first, what will the rest matter to us then ultimately?

I speaking of those in authority who are administering this kingdom not the people

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The authority so called has turned on the sheep.
The only one holding this building together is God and his children.

They will run us off the cliff.
They will agree to a one world religion.. and it's not Catholic or Protestant or Muslim, or Hindi..
It's ALL of them.
And all of the so-called authorities will agree.

TRUST GOD
ONLY

Hugs

Reactions: Brakelite

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The authority so called has turned on the sheep.
The only one holding this building together is God and his children.

They will run us off the cliff.
They will agree to a one world religion.. and it's not Catholic or Protestant or Muslim, or Hindi..
It's ALL of them.
And all of the so-called authorities will agree.

TRUST GOD
ONLY

Hugs

I agree we are up against the “great apostasy” it no longer “thee faith” eph 4:5 Jude 1:3

Reactions: Ziggy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I speaking of those in authority who are administering this kingdom not the people
It was you speaking to us, which is why I asked the questions of you and about you.

Where did you personally receive the authority to tell us we are wrong or we are right?

You may also say that priests or bishops ordained in the CC have such authority. Perhaps some of them do, but I do have doubts about that. But there is such real authority how does any believer become subject to such authority unless he submits to it? Why would any person fed the Word of God elsewhere, that is outside the formal Catholic hierarchy submit himself to it? Should he do it because you say it is the right thing to do? How do you know?

Would you say that outside of the formal visible hierarchy of the CC there is no power of God? Is God limited in such a way? Did God limit Himself in such a way?

I may have answers for myself to all of the questions I asked you, but I readily admit to still being only on the way. I have not arrived to that face to face vision yet. Do you on the other hand have such a vision, a vision clearer than that of Paul himself when he wrote about seeing as through a glass darkly? Lots of non-Catholics or Protestants, if you like, seem to believe that they do, but I would not put myself among them. Does that make me right and them wrong? I might believe that sometimes, but I certainly do not know it. Do you know [not believe] that you are right on all of these things you are saying?

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Jesus said this:

And Paul said this:

Give God the glory!

Among people who claim to be 'followers of Christ', Catholics and Protestants, ONE word as no other word or concept of the Christian Faith is all the time so smugly and excessively being thrown about and abused in subtle, covert or open ad hominem and judgemental rhetoric, as the word 'love' bereft of any semblance of The Love or The Faith or The Truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. IOW no word of SCRIPTURE as the word 'love' is so abused in devout religious application without the Spirit of Christ .

Reactions: amadeus

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Among people who claim to be 'followers of Christ', Catholics and Protestants, ONE word as no other word or concept of the Christian Faith is all the time so smugly and excessively being thrown about and abused in subtle, covert or open ad hominem and judgemental rhetoric, as the word 'love' bereft of any semblance of The Love or The Faith or The Truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. IOW no word of SCRIPTURE as the word 'love' is so abused in devout religious application without the Spirit of Christ .

truth matters

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now that you mention it, it is likely so. If we really loved, or at least seriously tried to love, as God loves, the result would be much different than that which we are seeing around us today.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

BondMrsBond

Jun 15, 2021
Doncaster
nailsofgrace.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
She will say division is our enemy let us all unite
its time to put an end to all this fuss and all this fight
Then the wall will come down there is no need to be divided
If we are all the same why should we all be so misguided
and they will cast off first faith claiming freedom from legality
and will fall for the false love cause they promise them liberality
The dark mother is ready , her wayward children to receive
and their petty lil doctrines (biblical truths )they will forsake and leave .
They will feel the glory as the music is played
the touch so very powerful , their very souls do they trade .
They will see the lights and swoon at this production
but like a lamb to the slaughter they will embrace the great seduction .

COME YE OUT of the unity churches now . Flee those who seek experience and feelings and drop nothing but accusations against correction

Where is this poem from, please? I just heard it on Spencer Smith's Third Adam 2.

Reactions: amigo de christo