Where To Begin Reading The Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I mean my own sin...sometimes I need to remember to love myself! :)

I'm sure you have plenty of good and worthy material to work with. If you want any advice, mine would be to go easy on yourself, and concentrate on those virtues you have, and the vices will become less and less relevant with the passage of time and the cultivation of good habits.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Reactions: dev553344

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You do realize that entire concept ( and saying ) is of Hindu origin and contradicts actual scriptures don't you?

I did not know that. Perhaps you can find a reference for me? But even if it is so, I have never thought Christianity to have a monopoly on wisdom.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Reactions: Truman

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not know that. Perhaps you can find a reference for me? But even if it is so, I have never thought Christianity to have a monopoly on wisdom.

The 1929 autobiography of Ghandi

That's not "wisdom", that's actually sin.

In biblical context, a "sinner" is an unsaved person ( we were all sinners until saved) and God "hates" sin.

Now to the human ( sinner), that's obviously not a license to "hate" the sinner but its also not a command or requirement to "love" him either. (in the agape sense)

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Pain can cause me to get angry and yell at someone. I guess I'm not perfect...yet. But when He returns, we will be like Him.
I do overcome with the blood of the Lamb, the word of my testimony, and I do not shrink back from death.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I like the King James Bible. Maybe it's not for the complete newbie to Chistendom, but I love the majesty of its poetry. Something to work up to, maybe?

Best wishes, 2RM.
I know what you mean, but since I've had a brain injury, I find it a little difficult to understand.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The 1929 autobiography of Ghandi

That's not "wisdom", that's actually sin.

In biblical context, a "sinner" is an unsaved person ( we were all sinners until saved) and God "hates" sin.

Now to the human ( sinner), that's obviously not a license to "hate" the sinner but its also not a command or requirement to "love" him either. (in the agape sense)

Interesting you should think that. There seems to be a lot of hating going on in your weltanschauung. My own chosen scriptures on the topic would be 1 John 4:8 KJV:

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

and Matthew 22:37-40 KJV

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

And I see plenty of people who consider themselves saved doing sin, and plenty of people who don't, doing good.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Reactions: GaryAnderson

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting you should think that. There seems to be a lot of hating going on in your weltanschauung. My own chosen scriptures on the topic would be 1 John 4:8 KJV:

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

and Matthew 22:37-40 KJV

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Then you might want to focus more on precision reading and accuracy than fluff and philosophy. See who Jesus was talking to and what a "neighbor" actually is contrasted against "sinner" and the light will come on.

And I see plenty of people who consider themselves saved doing sin, and plenty of people who don't, doing good.

That really doesn't mean anything in the scheme of things. Christians sin with the best of them and "good" is subjective. Neither one has any bearing on who is written in the Lambs book and who isn't. Outward appearances can only at best serve as a "possible" indicator if the inner person.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Then you might want to focus more on precision reading and accuracy than fluff and philosophy. See who Jesus was talking to and what a "neighbor" actually is contrasted against "sinner" and the light will come on.

I have stated my position; if you wish to modify it the onus is on you to provide an argument, not on me to guess the point you are trying to make.

Best wishes, 2RM.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have stated my position; if you wish to modify it the onus is on you to provide an argument, not on me to guess the point you are trying to make.

I wasn't debating or "arguing" with you, I was correcting you. I gave the reference articles necessary to guide you to the correct scriptural answer.

Now lets see what you do with it.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That really doesn't mean anything in the scheme of things. Christians sin with the best of them and "good" is subjective. Neither one has any bearing on who is written in the Lambs book and who isn't. Outward appearances can only at best serve as a "possible" indicator if the inner person.

Oh dear. I get the sense we are not going to find agreement on this matter. But let me ask you this, anyway. Do you think that what God considers to be 'good' to be subjective?

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I wasn't debating or "arguing" with you, I was correcting you. I gave the reference articles necessary to guide you to the correct scriptural answer.

Now lets see what you do with it.

Being a poor second rate mind I need you to spell it out for me, and provide supporting evidence and/or reasoning. (Normally when people provide references they include details of the book, including author, name of book, publisher, location of publisher, chapter, page numbers etc. What you have provided is insufficient information for me to go straight to the passage you want me to).

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Start with revelation....Just kidding. I like the idea of using an ESV or something similar to start with.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh dear. I get the sense we are not going to find agreement on this matter. But let me ask you this, anyway. Do you think that what God considers to be 'good' to be subjective?

assuming you are referring to agothos as the definition of "good" and from God's perspective then there is nothing subjective as "good" (beneficial" is defined in terms of His perfect will. The specific situation will define what "good" looks like or is.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being a poor second rate mind I need you to spell it out for me, and provide supporting evidence and/or reasoning. (Normally when people provide references they include details of the book, including author, name of book, publisher, location of publisher, chapter, page numbers etc. What you have provided is insufficient information for me to go straight to the passage you want me to).

I gave you the reference, now get off your dead 4th point of contact and do your own definitive research

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
assuming you are referring to agothos as the definition of "good" and from God's perspective then there is nothing subjective as "good" (beneficial" is defined in terms of His perfect will. The specific situation will define what "good" looks like or is.

So, if God thinks something to be good, would you agree that that is objectively good?

Best wishes, 2RM.