Where To Begin Reading The Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmm. So for you, @An Apologetic Sheepdog, it all hinges of the definition of 'neighbour'? I'd be interested to know who you leave out of the classification of neighbour? For me, it hinges likewise, but I leave no one out of that class. In today's world, where communications and transport are ubiquitous, fast, and relatively inexpensive, the planet truly is a global village. And I have been well rewarded by a tranquil soul and quiet conscience since, some twenty years ago, I accepted the challenge and vulnerability involved in loving widely and deeply and without reservation, as per Jesus' second commandment. I can commend the attitude to you.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So for you, @An Apologetic Sheepdog, it all hinges of the definition of 'neighbour'? I'd be interested to know who you leave out of the classification of neighbour? For me, it hinges likewise, but I leave no one out of that class. In today's world, where communications and transport are ubiquitous, fast, and relatively inexpensive, the planet truly is a global village.

In context to the written word and our conduct, yes it does. I personally accept the given examples.

You are perfectly entitled to your own "private interpretation of scripture" and to "manufacture your own truth for your own purpose' and follow it with full vim and vigor. Just know there will be a price tag and you will pay it.

Carry On.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That really doesn't mean anything in the scheme of things. Christians sin with the best of them and "good" is subjective. Neither one has any bearing on who is written in the Lambs book and who isn't. Outward appearances can only at best serve as a "possible" indicator if the inner person.

So, am I to construe from this that you think the quality of afterlife we can expect to be predetermined, and there is nothing we can do to affect it? Because, if so, it doesn't seem to me to be a just arrangement, and if not just, not good, and if not good, not Godly.

Best wishes, 2RM.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In context to the written word and our conduct, yes it does. I personally accept the given examples.

You are perfectly entitled to your own "private interpretation of scripture" and to "manufacture your own truth for your own purpose' and follow it with full vim and vigor. Just know there will be a price tag and you will pay it.

Carry On.

So, whose truth do you interpret and manufacture for your own purposes?

Best wishes, 2RM.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm interested to learn how a believer may be illegitimately saved?

The word "believer" in my post had quotation marks for a reason yet you omitted them. I'm going to operate as if you didn't catch that or recognize the significance. Its a distinction with a difference i point out as needed.

Satan and the demons "believe" ( in fact they know beyond any shadow of doubt) Jesus is Lord yet they are not "saved".

There are many false doctrines out there by false (Christs, Apostles, prophets, churches and so forth) which have a false salvation.

One of the reasons Scripture is the authority is because of Satan and man twisting the truth because 99% of the truth is a lie. 99 truths ( in and of themselves) out to get you to believe #100 which is the coup de gras is also a lie.

So, there is a class of person who has a legitimate belief that they are 'saved" ( and possibly even with Satan and his minions giving the "emotional support and warm fuzzies" to make it look legit) but in fact are damned right along with the rest of them. ( Those who "believed' and did great works in His name and all that- who Jesus made clear "I NEVER knew you")

There is 1 truth and a million gazillion ways for Satan to deceive- all of them end in a lake of fire.

So, keep right on doing things your way and twisting scripture to support your "philosophy" to your own personal desires rather than studying and understanding the truth and meaning then yielding to the Word of God as a good and faithful servant would- you will have your reward. (it just might not be what you think)

Carry on.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, am I to construe from this that you think the quality of afterlife we can expect to be predetermined, and there is nothing we can do to affect it? Because, if so, it doesn't seem to me to be a just arrangement, and if not just, not good, and if not good, not Godly.

Your "opinion" of anything is irrelevant and of no worth whatsoever regarding God's word. He is the creator and you the creation.

What are you calling a 'quality of afterlife"? The only thing "predetermined" is that if you are not in the book of life or pass the GWT then you will face the second death but i dont think thats what you are referring to but cannot figure out your statement.

Please elaborate.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The word "believer" in my post had quotation marks for a reason yet you omitted them. I'm going to operate as if you didn't catch that or recognize the significance. Its a distinction with a difference i point out as needed.

Satan and the demons "believe" ( in fact they know beyond any shadow of doubt) Jesus is Lord yet they are not "saved".

There are many false doctrines out there by false (Christs, Apostles, prophets, churches and so forth) which have a false salvation.

One of the reasons Scripture is the authority is because of Satan and man twisting the truth because 99% of the truth is a lie. 99 truths ( in and of themselves) out to get you to believe #100 which is the coup de gras is also a lie.

So, there is a class of person who has a legitimate belief that they are 'saved" ( and possibly even with Satan and his minions giving the "emotional support and warm fuzzies" to make it look legit) but in fact are damned right along with the rest of them. ( Those who "believed' and did great works in His name and all that- who Jesus made clear "I NEVER knew you")

There is 1 truth and a million gazillion ways for Satan to deceive- all of them end in a lake of fire.

So, keep right on doing things your way and twisting scripture to support your "philosophy" to your own personal desires rather than studying and understanding the truth and meaning then yielding to the Word of God as a good and faithful servant would- you will have your reward. (it just might not be what you think)

Carry on.

You'll have to forgive me, but I am always suspicious of those who claim they know the one true path to salvation (one reason I am not a Catholic). Seems to me there are as many ways to heaven as there are people, given the correct attitude. And I am the ornery sort of critter that goes his own way, regardless of promises of glory or threats of damnation. Indeed, I tend to the view that should some protagonist feel the need for such blandishments, they have defaulted on rational discussion and so lost the argument.

Best wishes, 2RM.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You'll have to forgive me, but I am always suspicious of those who claim they know the one true path to salvation (one reason I am not a Catholic).

I do not fault you for that- I commend it ( and recommend it)

Seems to me there are as many ways to heaven as there are people, given the correct attitude.

There is an organized group who wants man to believe that, yes. Avoid them

And I am the ornery sort of critter that goes his own way, regardless of promises of glory or threats of damnation.

That mindset in and of itself is not a bad thing but the merits ( and/or punishment) of it will depend on the final decisions made

Indeed, I tend to the view that should some protagonist feel the need for such blandishments, they have defaulted on rational discussion and so lost the argument.

That may be true in cases but of no consequence in the end. Jesus Himself never bent on the truth. He never "made nice" with the Pharisees and their ilk or even attempted to meet them at any length not did he give them any quarter or consideration whatsoever.

Whatever the 'argument" is or was didnt matter- all roads except one end in a burning lake. Especially for those who lie to themselves and believe 'they won the argument" because they lost the war in the end like all the rest.

What matters is simply what you do with your "view" because those decisions will determine the fate.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does this organisation have a name, and a defined membership? Or are we just talking another paranoid conspiracy theory?

Ahh, here we have yet another attempt to deny and denigrate under the guise of pseudo intelligence exercised as an attempt to demonstrate keen wit but falling short still.

Yes, this "organization" is called "the world" and its membership is everyone who is not written in the book. Its leadership and direction is ultimately from a fallen angel and his troop but its own inherent evil works independently.

How is that philosophy coming?

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How is that philosophy coming?

Fine, thank you. I particularly like the tendency of philosophers to engage with the arguments, and refrain from insults and insulting innuendo.

And I am still interested in how you think one gets one's name 'written in the book?'

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fine, thank you. I particularly like the tendency of philosophers to engage with the arguments, and refrain from insults and insulting innuendo.

when philosophy inevitably fails in face of the truth, "insults" and "insulting innuendo" will be the least of anyone's concerns in the face of what comes next.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Uh huh. I will concede that philosophy deals with matters to do with truth that may or may not be true, but it seems to me that the slightest knowledge of higher matters can sometimes outweigh a complete knowledge of lower matters. In philosophy, we pursue a quest that we might never resolve, the questions running so deep. But that is no reason to leap to simplistic conclusions. Better to admit we just do not know, and phrase our enquiries according to things we might, sometime soon, expect to find out.

Best wishes, 2RM.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh huh. I will concede that philosophy deals with matters to do with truth that may or may not be true, but it seems to me that the slightest knowledge of higher matters can sometimes outweigh a complete knowledge of lower matters. In philosophy, we pursue a quest that we might never resolve, the questions running so deep. But that is no reason to leap to simplistic conclusions. Better to admit we just do not know, and phrase our enquiries according to things we might, sometime soon, expect to find out.

I love it. A built in nebulous non answer to serve as an excuse to do ( or not to do) anything the heart desires because in ambiguity there is definition and thus no accountability, responsibility or standard.

Scripture isn't a "philosophy" subject to your musings or dependent on your belief nor is it malleable to private interpretations- neither is the eventual penalty for those whose names are not in the book.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Scripture isn't a "philosophy" subject to your musings or dependent on your belief nor is it malleable to private interpretations- neither is the eventual penalty for those whose names are not in the book.

Scripture, to be sure, is not a philosophy, in terms of a rational world view. We can agree on that. But it may be thought of as a record of humanity's theological progress. And I still await your ideas on whose names are in the book, and whose names aren't.

Best wishes, 2RM.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Your "opinion" of anything is irrelevant and of no worth whatsoever regarding God's word. He is the creator and you the creation.

Since my opinion has a direct impact on my 'way of being' and my way of being has a direct impact on my opinions, I do not see anything irrelevant here. I maybe ought to add that in my estimation, salvation is not through works, nor beliefs, but through the kind of person you are: your way of being.

What are you calling a 'quality of afterlife"? The only thing "predetermined" is that if you are not in the book of life or pass the GWT then you will face the second death but i dont think thats what you are referring to but cannot figure out your statement.

Quality of afterlife is the difference between heaven and hell, and all the intermediate ranks between them. What is a GWT?

Best wishes, 2RM.