WHICH CHURCH IS HEBREWS WRITTEN TO?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The book of Hebrews was written to the kingdom church, the believing remnant of Israel, undergoing persecution and scattered (Acts 8:1-4).

This book is not written directly to the church today, the body of Christ, although it is most profitable for our understanding. Misunderstanding doctrine in this book can be a snare to the believer and impact assurance of salvation.

Hebrews 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

God spoke in time past unto the fathers of Israel, and the us to whom the Son has spoken to, are the children of Israel.

The book of Hebrews is dealing with "these last days". The last days are spoken of as pertaining to the time in which the Davidic kingdom will be established on earth, in which, Christ will reign upon David's throne from Jerusalem along with the believing remnant of Israel (Isaiah 2:2-3 Luke 12:32).

1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

Christ, by his own blood, entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for believing Israel (Hebrews 9:12). Christ died for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament (Hebrews 9:15).

1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Christ will establish his prophetic kingdom on earth (Psalm 45:6 Isaiah 9:6-7 Daniel 2:44).

Reactions: marks

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This book is not written directly to the church today, the body of Christ...
Why do you continue to post false teachings?

The book was written to Hebrew Christians within the Church, the Body of Christ. Today it is applicable to all Christians, since it reveals the truth about the finished work of Christ.

Reactions: Nancy and Stan B

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The book of Hebrews was written to the kingdom church, the believing remnant of Israel, undergoing persecution and scattered (Acts 8:1-4).

This book is not written directly to the church today, the body of Christ, although it is most profitable for our understanding. Misunderstanding doctrine in this book can be a snare to the believer and impact assurance of salvation.

Paul wrote his Epistle to the Hebrews in Jerusalem, explaining to them how the New Covenant was a new and better Covenant than the Old, and the primary points of transition between the two.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Combining the two previous posts... I agree!

Paul wrote his Epistle to the Hebrews explaining to them how the New Covenant was a new and better Covenant than the Old, and the primary points of transition between the two. The book was written to Hebrew Christians within the Church, the Body of Christ. Today it is applicable to all Christians, since it reveals the truth about the finished work of Christ.

Last edited:

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Combining the two previous posts... I agree!

Paul wrote his Epistle to the Hebrews in Jerusalem, explaining to them how the New Covenant was a new and better Covenant than the Old, and the primary points of transition between the two. The book was written to Hebrew Christians within the Church, the Body of Christ. Today it is applicable to all Christians, since it reveals the truth about the finished work of Christ.

Believing he wrote that from Jerusalem was my original take on this. He quotes so extensively from the Old Testament, that one would suspect that he had access to the temple scrolls. But he ends his letter with "Those from Italy greet you", which sort of conflicts with the Jerusalem hypothesis. ??
And Paul's mission and focus was to the Gentiles.

Reactions: Nancy and Willie T

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That's a bunch of men's baloney.

Apostle Luke's writing style is all over the Book of Hebrews, and so are its themes apparent by Apostle Paul.

The main theme of the Book of Hebrews is our Lord JESUS CHRIST. So how can you listen to men's false doctrines that say it's not a Book for Christ's Church???

Just because it includes Hebrew history does not mean it is only for the children of Israel!

The false Hyper-Dispensationalist theories you follow from men has you terribly deceived!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believing he wrote that from Jerusalem was my original take on this. He quotes so extensively from the Old Testament, that one would suspect that he had access to the temple scrolls. But he ends his letter with "Those from Italy greet you", which sort of conflicts with the Jerusalem hypothesis. ??
And Paul's mission and focus was to the Gentiles.
Yes, corrected....
Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty; with whom, if he come shortly, I will see you. Salute all them that have the rule over you, and all the saints. They of Italy salute you. - Hebrews 13:23-24

I believe the Epistle was written indeed in Italy. I don't believe Nero was eager to hear Paul's case and Paul may had liberty for some time in Rome.

And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him, Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him. - Acts 28:30-31

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That's a bunch of men's baloney.

Apostle Luke's writing style is all over the Book of Hebrews, and so are its themes apparent by Apostle Paul.

Is this something you studied for yourself, or just something you read from some ignorant illiterate babbler, who never studied the original texts either. Hebrews was initially written in Hebrew, and you believe it was written by the only non-Hebrew writer of the gospels?? <giggle>

Davy, the authorship of Hebrews was known from the very beginning of the church, and it was considered by Athanasisus to again declare the already well-known Cannon of Scripture a tedious repetition of what everyone already knew.

Athanasius Archbishop of Alexandria AD 328 – 373 Easter/Festal Epistles Letter xxxix

"5. Again it is not tedious to speak of the books of the New Testament. These are, the four Gospels, according to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Afterwards, the Acts of the Apostles and Epistles (called Catholic), seven, viz. of James, one; of Peter, two; of John, three; after these, one of Jude. In addition, there are fourteen Epistles of Paul, written in this order. The first, to the Romans; then two to the Corinthians; after these, to the Galatians; next, to the Ephesians; then to the Philippians; then to the Colossians; after these, two to the Thessalonians, and that to the Hebrews; and again, two to Timothy; one to Titus; and lastly, that to Philemon. And besides, the Revelation of John."

Now let's hear your authority for proclaiming the entire Early Church was wrong, and you have a more reliable authority. My authority comes from AD 350. What date was the proclamation you follow written?

Last edited:

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe the Epistle was written indeed in Italy. I don't believe Nero was eager to hear Paul's case and Paul may had liberty for some time in Rome.

Italy!! What a great place for Paul to spend his final days. :-( He knew what was coming!

In the Epistle to the Hebrews, I think he was saying his final good-bye to his brethren in Jerusalem followed by his final letters to his friends, Timothy, Titus and Philemon. :-(

Reactions: rockytopva

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this something you studied for yourself, or just something you read from some ignorant illiterate babbler, who never studied the original texts either. Hebrews was initially written in Hebrew, and you believe it was written by the only non-Hebrew writer of the gospels?? <giggle>

Davy, the authorship of Hebrews was known from the very beginning of the church, and it was considered by Athanasisus to again declare the already well-known Cannon of Scripture a tedious repetition of what everyone already knew.

Athanasius Archbishop of Alexandria AD 328 – 373 Easter/Festal Epistles Letter xxxix

"5. Again it is not tedious to speak of the books of the New Testament. These are, the four Gospels, according to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Afterwards, the Acts of the Apostles and Epistles (called Catholic), seven, viz. of James, one; of Peter, two; of John, three; after these, one of Jude. In addition, there are fourteen Epistles of Paul, written in this order. The first, to the Romans; then two to the Corinthians; after these, to the Galatians; next, to the Ephesians; then to the Philippians; then to the Colossians; after these, two to the Thessalonians, and that to the Hebrews; and again, two to Timothy; one to Titus; and lastly, that to Philemon. And besides, the Revelation of John."

Now let's hear your authority for proclaiming the entire Early Church was wrong, and you have a more reliable authority. My authority comes from AD 350. What date was the proclamation you follow written?

Nothing in what you offer actually goes into the actual written Scripture proof of the Book of Hebrews.

Apostle Paul's stamp in the Book of Hebrews:

Hebrews 1:3 subject of Jesus being the express image of God = Phil.2:6; 1 Col.1:15-20.

Hebrews 2:9 about Jesus lowering Himself for us = 2 Cor.8:9; Phil.2:7-8.

Hebrews 2:8; 10:13; 12:2 Jesus' final exaltation = 1 Cor.15:25-27.

Hebrews 8:6, Jesus Mediator of a better covenant = Gal.3:19-20.

Hebrews 7, Jesus' sacrifice for sin as a previous OT figure = 1 Cor.5:7.

Hebrews 13:20, "God of peace" a unique phrase by Apostle Paul = Rom.15:33; 1 Thess.5:23.

Hebrews 2:4, division of gifts by The Holy Spirit = 1 Cor.12:4.

Hebrews 4:12, The Word of God as a sword = Eph.6:17.

Hebrews 5:12-13, immature Christians have need of milk instead of the strong meat = 1 Cor.3:1-2; 1 Cor.14:20; Gal.4:9; Eph.4:13.

Hebrews 10:19, boldness to enter into the holiest by the Blood of Jesus Christ = Rom.5:2; Eph.2:18; Eph.3:12.

Hebrews 10:32, you endure afflictions for Christ = Phil.1:30; Col.2:1.

Hebrews 12:1, Christianity is a race, a unique saying by Paul = 1 Cor.9:24.

... and there exist more direct correlations to Apostle Paul's specific expressions and writing style in his other Epistles.

As one can see from the above direct correlations in the Book of Hebrews to Paul's Epistles, the existence of the same type of expressions between both is not a coincidence. It is this... that helps determine Apostle Paul as the author of the Book of Hebrews, not historical critics.

B

brakelite

Why do you continue to post false teachings?

The book was written to Hebrew Christians within the Church, the Body of Christ. Today it is applicable to all Christians, since it reveals the truth about the finished work of Christ.
It does indeed reveal truth, but I would take a slightly different perspective on the subject matter: I think Hebrews deals not only with what Christ accomplished on Calvary, but it feels extensively also with His ongoing work in the heavenly sanctuary as High Priest.

KJV Hebrews 8
1 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;
2 A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man...
KJV Hebrews 10
19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
21 And having an high priest over the house of God;
22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised.)

I think Hebrews is a fascinating book and explains wonderfully the difference between the covenants, how they operate, and how they are made efficacious for man... Not through Christ's 'finished work' , but through His ongoing work above.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...but it feels extensively also with His ongoing work in the heavenly sanctuary as High Priest.
This is where I would disagree with SDA's teaching. The only work that Christ is doing in the Heavenly Sanctuary is the work of mediation and intercession for the saints. I do not believe that the Bible says anything about an *Investigative Judgment*.

Reactions: Stan B
B

brakelite

This is where I would disagree with SDA's teaching. The only work that Christ is doing in the Heavenly Sanctuary is the work of mediation and intercession for the saints. I do not believe that the Bible says anything about an *Investigative Judgment*.
Well, I would have to ask then, how deeply did you look into it? What specifically do you disagree with concerning a judgement taking place before the second coming? Not in the Bible? It's depicted four times, at least, in Daniel alone... Here one of them...
KJV Daniel 7
9 I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire.
10 A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened.

This is most assuredly taking place before the second coming, and during the rule of Antichrist, because while Daniel was viewing this scene in heaven, his attention was diverted by hearing the voice of the little horn, to events taking place on earth at the same time....
KJV Daniel 7
11 I beheld then because of the voice of the great words which the horn spake: I beheld even till the beast was slain, and his body destroyed, and given to the burning flame.
12 As concerning the rest of the beasts, they had their dominion taken away: yet their lives were prolonged for a season and time.

You need to look at this subject more objectively.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's depicted four times, at least, in Daniel alone... Here one of them...
KJV Daniel 7
9 I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire.
10 A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened.
This corresponds to the Great White Throne Judgment (Rev 20:11-14), which is reserved for those NOT found written in the Lamb's Book of Life (the unsaved dead). Please note the correspondence of the words below:

11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it [the judgment was set], from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God
[and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him]; and the books were opened:[identical words] and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

KJV Daniel 7
11 I beheld then because of the voice of the great words which the horn spake: I beheld even till the Beast was slain, and his body destroyed, and given to the burning flame.
12 As concerning the rest of the beasts, they had their dominion taken away: yet their lives were prolonged for a season and time
And this corresponds to Revelation 19:20; 20:10:
And the Beast was taken [the Beast was slain], and with him the False Prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive [his body was destroyed] into a lake of fire burning with brimstone [and given to the burning flame]... And the Devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the Beast and the False Prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

As concerning the rest of the beasts, they had their dominion taken away: yet their lives were prolonged for a season and time.
This corresponds to Rev 20:3,7
And cast him [the Devil] into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season... And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison...

NONE OF THIS APPLIES TO THE SAINTS OF GOD.

B

brakelite

This corresponds to the Great White Throne Judgment (Rev 20:11-14), which is reserved for those NOT found written in the Lamb's Book of Life (the unsaved dead). Please note the correspondence of the words below:

11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it [the judgment was set], from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God
[and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him]; and the books were opened:[identical words] and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

And this corresponds to Revelation 19:20; 20:10:
And the Beast was taken [the Beast was slain], and with him the False Prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive [his body was destroyed] into a lake of fire burning with brimstone [and given to the burning flame]... And the Devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the Beast and the False Prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

This corresponds to Rev 20:3,7
And cast him [the Devil] into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season... And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison...

NONE OF THIS APPLIES TO THE SAINTS OF GOD.
With all due respect, you are incorrect. And you have not studied the adventist position on this sufficiently to offer a sound appraisal of whether it be right or wrong. You are looking at the headline and dismissing it through your futurist tinted glasses without removing them first in order to see clearly and objectively the true chain of events that Daniel is seeing in the vision.
He is not seeing the great White throne judgement. They are entirely different events, and are 1000 years apart, with a different context and purpose.

B

brakelite

1844... Real or a fabrication of seventh day Adventist teachings? Who's bold enough to venture into the scary world of transparency... Where what you think you know may be challenged and possibly even refuted?
1844madesimple - Home

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Italy!! What a great place for Paul to spend his final days. :-( He knew what was coming!

In the Epistle to the Hebrews, I think he was saying his final good-bye to his brethren in Jerusalem followed by his final letters to his friends, Timothy, Titus and Philemon. :-(
I have wondered if Paul made it to Spain during those days...

Whensoever I take my journey into Spain, I will come to you: for I trust to see you in my journey, and to be brought on my way thitherward by you, if first I be somewhat filled with your company. - Romans 15:24