Who are the cowardly?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Peltast

Dec 26, 2011
God does not approve of cowardice.

But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practise magic arts, the idolaters and all liars – they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulphur. This is the second death.’ Revelation 21:8 (NIV)

What I am wondering though is exactly who the cowardly are. There appears to be a difference between cowardice and prudence. The Bible also tells us that a live dog is better off than a dead lion Ecclesiastes 9:4 (NIV)

I currently incline to the opinion that God dislikes moral cowardice.

xino

Sep 20, 2012
people who value their life.
for an example, someone being attacked, you do nothing because you value your life and do not help

i believe:p

Axehead

May 9, 2012

But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practise magic arts, the idolaters and all liars – they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulphur. This is the second death.’ Revelation 21:8 (NIV)

What I am wondering though is exactly who the cowardly are. There appears to be a difference between cowardice and prudence. The Bible also tells us that a live dog is better off than a dead lion Ecclesiastes 9:4 (NIV)

I lean more towards God not being happy with the faithless.

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving,...

deilos
di-los'
From δέος deos (dread); timid, that is, (by implication) faithless: - fearful.

Deu_32:20 And he said, I will hide my face from them, I will see what their end shall be: for they are a very froward generation, children in whom is no faith.

We see that deilos could be rendered faithless and maybe that is why UNBELIEVING comes right after it.

It is faith that pleases God.

Heb_11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Axehead

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First, everyone acts out of fear, at times. Letting your fear (based on our separation from God) dominate your actions is cowardly and causes us to live for self preservation alone. Embracing the love of God and replacing our fear with His justification, allows us to act from a place of love and acceptance rather than fear.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In the time of the writings of John there were some Christians who would renounce Jesus to save their lives. It was a time of persecution of the brethren. There was a great controversy at the time whether those who had renounced Christ in such a way should be permitted back into the brotherhood. The case of Peter having denied Christ 3 times was brought to the fore. Then there was the case of Paul and Barnabas disagreeing over the quitter Mark being able to rejoin them. Those who persisted in this cowardice and didn't repent would have been rejected by both camps. After all Peter did die for the Lord eventually.

MTPockets

Aug 4, 2012
All who love iniquity have no heritage in the Kingdom of God. "Those who do such things shall not inherit the Kingdom of God", (Galatians 5:21). First the cowards, the faint-hearted, are mentioned, those who shun the struggle in the heavenly places and succumb to the evil powers; it prevented them from having intimate communion with the Lord. Then follow the faithless; those who doubt and possess an earth centered life which prevented their complete metamorphosis; kept them off the path to spiritual maturity. The polluted, the murderers, and the fornicators are those who fell victim to the spiritual wickedness in the heavenly places, while the sorcerers and idolaters were in contact with the spirits in Hades. The last group in this list are the liars; the spiritual offspring of the father of lies who were directly inspired by the devil. Among them are those who engaged in forms of occultism. Their end is in the Lake of Fire.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
One thing cowards do is talk alot about what they will do..perhaps it was Peter's boasting and bragging that brought his time of testing,the best thing to do pray for the strength and grace for the time when it comes and leave out the bravado and boasting and trying to elevate yourself before the time.

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011

Who are the cowardly?

The cowardly are those who are afraid to tell the truth even if they know it. They are afraid to tell people about the gospel of Christ for fear of what will happen to them at the hands of man.

Pelaides

Jul 30, 2012
Joshua1:9"Have i not commanded thee?Be strong and of a good courage;be not afraid,neither be thou dismayed:for the Lord thy God is with thee whitheroever thou goest".

It seems the Lord doesnt think much of cowards.

Who was braver than Jesus?

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
God's perspective on cowardice is easy to undertsand,the most powerful being in existence has nothing to be afraid of...we fear because even tho God is with we know that doesn't mean it won't be rough.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Humans have placed themselves in a vulnerable position - outside the Garden, we no longer know what is going to happen in the future. Jesus asked 'Can the blind lead the blind?' We are most certainly blind - we can only learn from looking into the past and relying on Jesus for guiding us into the future. We can only do so by living by faith in Him, rather than making blind judgments (false sight) about how to proceed in life. Faith is suspending our disbelief and trusting long enough to listen and learn and practice our sanctification.