Who are the sons of God and the daughters of men

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
and these are all NT references. Even Hosea is a reference for the church and not OT saints, for it is a future tense.

Genesis 6:1-3
When human beings began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3 Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.”

Notice that verse 3 says “humans”?

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is no elsewhere.... People have been combing the Bible for centuries to explain this and they can't. People go into this story with certain assumptions in their minds, and insert those assumptions into the storyline....but it is not in the Bible.

Some will deem the sons of God taking human wives as sinful or rebellious. Part of that is Christianity's over all negative view of sex. They had sex! That is dirty, nasty, and sinful....and of the devil! Put it is not in the storyline. Nowhere does God condemn them for marrying these women, to the contrary the Bible says their offspring were heroes and mighty men. That is the only comment made ....heroes and mighty men. The Bible notes that, at times these sons of God present themselves before God....If He had issues with them.....if He did, you could the Bible could have noted that.

As far as the story of Noah.....the Bible does not have page breaks or topic headers. It will move from one topic to another without a heads up. There is nothing to connect the story of the sons of God to the story of Noah. The story of Noah is about everyone being evil. We do not know how much time passed between verse 4 and verse 5. Verse 4 makes a positive statement about the offspring of the sons of God. Then in verse 5...everybody is wicked....that is quite the transition. We don not know how much time passed between verse 4 and verse 5.

And that is how it happens. Regardless of how long you think the Old Testament period is, it is still a story that spans thousands of years...condensed...abbreviated to a group of scriptures. The Torah was written as one continuous word...No topic headers, no periods...no lower case, no paragraphs or page breaks....so it is going to move from one topic to another rather abruptly.

Yes there is truth in a lot of what you say here that I also know but I believe verse 2 below shows that it wasn’t how God based marriage

When human beings began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3 Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.”

Also do you notice that verse 3 says humans?

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well it has nothing to do with the topic....
There is a thread on this...the sons of God that present themselves before God...the 120 year thing....who does it apply to....there were people that lived hundreds of years after this statement. And the whole giant thing. Anyway it does not apply to the question posed in this thread.
It has everything to do with this thread.

The church is not left on earth, because individuals are being gathered in Paradise. God with those 120 years set a limit for the time God placed on the sons of God literally living on earth. Even if not corrupted, the sons of God would not stay on earth longer than 120 years. Especially if they allowed themselves to become corrupted. The sons of God were taken to heaven just like the church and all other saints since the Cross are taken to heaven. Why would God allow the church to be destroyed as if the church was totally involved in wickedness. There is always a remnant, even with the sons of God. We are just not always told about that remnant. Elijah literally thought he was the only one on earth, yet God had a remnant who were not defiled. Why would history be any different in regards to the sons of God? Those humans created on the 6th day. By the time Noah was finished building the ark, that remnant had been removed to heaven, and only the wicked remained to be destroyed. Surely the church will be removed at the Second Coming, before the wicked will be destroyed. God letting sinful humans with Adam's dead flesh for 100s of years past 120 is grace, not breaking God's intentions. There have been humans to live almost to 120, even though in the Psalms that was shortened to 70 years. At times life expectancy was only 35 years by human standards.

As for giants, the original sons of God were created larger than humans of today, stuck in Adam's dead corruptible flesh. They were rarely killed and buried in the ground, unlike those stuck in Adam's dead corruptible flesh. Where are even the bodies of the sons of Anak? Probably dug up and destroyed thousands of years ago.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes there is truth in a lot of what you say here that I also know but I believe verse 2 below shows that it wasn’t how God based marriage

Also do you notice that verse 3 says humans?

Sorry Marty
I was responding to another topic.

verse 2 below shows that it wasn’t how God based marriage....not sure what you mean by this.

As I pointed out in my previous posts.....God never condemned the sons of God taking women as wives. Since presenting themselves before God seems to be something of a routine, He would have had plenty of time to bring it up.
Yahweh impregnated Miriam while she was betrothed to Joseph and Yeshua was born and Yahweh did not marry Miriam.
These sons of God took the women as wives....No condemnation in the Bible of this type of marriage. Rules of engagement between divine beings and mortal women are not discussed in the Bible.

Strolling through the Bible with preconceived notions will only result in false beliefs. Case in point. You are not suppose to overwrite the scriptures with your beliefs.....you are suppose to learn from the scriptures....it is a common error.

Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.”.....What do you think this means, when men continued on to live hundreds of years in the Torah?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said Adam and the sons of God lived one Lord's Day before the Garden of Eden. Eve came after the Garden of Eden. I never mentioned Eve at all in post 207.

The name Eve was that phrase: mother of all living. That is what the word "Eve" means. Adam quoted the phrase the second he called her Eve.

So nbow you have edited teh bible again to say Adam and other men lived 1000 years before Eve was created. did these mythical sons of God have kids with the daughters of men in this 1000 years?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We will never agree here on all of this but everyone is saved in the same way before and after the cross. The faithful before the cross looked to a future saviour who’s name they didn’t know.

John 14:6
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Nor did they know He would die for their sins, nor when He would be born, nor where until the latter prophets declared it.

They got save by grace through faith. And what they placed their faith in differed in the differing time s of Gods stewardship of man.

Like Noah, people got saved if they believed Noah and got on the boat.

From th egiving of the law- in trusting in the blood of the passover lamb.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have already showed my views if you reject them then that your choice but you saying fail is just your view it doesn’t mean that I have.

Yes they are your opinion, but sorry Marty, they are not based on grammar, biblical ecvidence or exegesis, but on opinions others taught you and you have accepted.

No natural reading of this would lead one to come to the conclusions you have expounded on this thread.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Notice that verse 3 says “humans”?

Well three things and one is supposition

1. angels are immortal
2. Human are mortal
3. this hybrid race? Probably mortal for they all died in the flood!

But evidence outside of Scripture?

Remember usually all myths and legends have som ekernel of truth in them that has been corrupted over time.

Example is the flood- in the world today there are over 220 flood accounts in over 220 cultures over history.

I have become convinced that the legends of ancient pagan religions of the gods and demi-gods are based on the accounts handed down over the generations (and corrupted after Babel) of angels that left their first habitation (jude) cohabited with human woman and producing a hybrid race that had at least some of the angelic powers.

Greek mythology[edit]

This section relies too much on references to primary sources. Please improve this section by adding secondary or tertiary sources. (July 2021) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
  • Achilles: son of the sea nymph Thetis (daughter of sea god Nereus), and Peleus, king of the Myrmidons.
  • Actaeon: son of Aristaeus and Autonoë, Boeotian prince who was turned into a stag by Artemis and torn to pieces by his own hounds.[2]
  • Aeacus: son of Zeus and Aegina who was the daughter of a river god. He was the father of Telamon and Peleus and grandfather of Ajax and Achilles.
  • Aeëtes: son of Helios. He was the king of Colchis and played a key role in the story of the Argonauts. His daughter Medea married the famous hero Jason.[3]
  • Aeneas: Trojan hero, son of Aphrodite, goddess of love and Prince Anchises. He fled to Italy and became the ancestor of Romulus and Remus, founders of Rome.
  • Amphion: son of Zeus and Antiope, and twin brother of Zethus.
  • Arcas: son of Zeus and Callisto, a nymph and minor goddess associated with Aphrodite.
  • Aristaeus: son of Apollo and Cyrene, a Thessalian princess. He was a shepherd who was made a god after inventing skills such as cheese-making and bee-keeping.[4]
  • Asclepius: son of Apollo and Coronis, who achieved divine status after death. He became such a great healer, that he could bring back the dead. Zeus killed him for this, but raised him from the dead as the god of healing and medicine.
  • Augeas: son of Helios, king of Elis. Heracles had to clean his stables as one of his famed twelve labours.[5]
  • Autolycus: son of Hermes. He was a famous thief and ancestor of Odysseus who was also Heracles' wrestling teacher.[6]
  • Bellerophon: according to Homer's Iliad, son of Glaucus and Eurymede of Corinth. According to Apollodorus and Hesiod's catalogues by Hyginus, he was a son of the sea god Poseidon by Eurymede.
  • Calais: son of Boreas (the Greek god of the cold north wind and the bringer of winter) and Oreithyia, daughter of King Erechtheus of Athens. His brother was Zethes, and they are collectively known as Boreads.[7]
  • Ceyx: son of Eosphorus, King of Trachis and husband of Alcyone.
  • Codrus: son of Poseidon and King of Athens, forefather of Ariston of Athens, father of Plato[8]
  • Dardanus: son of Zeus and Electra, daughter of Atlas.
  • Deucalion: son of Prometheus. He and his cousin-wife Pyrrha repopulated the earth after the Great Flood that ended the Bronze Age.[9]
  • Dionysus: son of Zeus and Semele, born a mortal, later became the god of wine.
  • Epaphus: son of Zeus and Io, a priestess of the goddess Hera (Zeus' wife).
  • Harmonia: according to Greek mythology was the daughter of Ares and Aphrodite.[10] However, in Samothrace mythology, she was the daughter of Zeus and Electra.[11]
  • Heracles: son of Zeus (king of the gods) and Alcmene, a mortal woman.
  • Helen of Sparta, also known as Helen of Troy: According to older sources, daughter of king Tyndareus and Leda,[12] but Homer also calls her daughter of Zeus and Leda. Wife of Menelaus, the king of Sparta.
  • e Cretan Bull. Her union with the bull produced the Minotaur.[16]
Egyptian mythology[edit]
  • Imhotep: son of Thoth. One of the greatest builders in Ancient Egypt.
  • Apis: bull, son of Ptah. He became god of virility after his death and merged with Osiris, god of Underworld.
  • Petesuchos: sacred crocodile. Considered as son of Sobek or his incarnation.

All these if memory serves were aLL SUPERHUMAN OR MYSTICAL IIN SOME WAY BUT MORTAL. I also believe all of these were teh children of the unholy union of angel and women though names probabvly changed over time.

For a more complete list of demigods see this:

List of demigods - Wikipedia

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So nbow you have edited teh bible again to say Adam and other men lived 1000 years before Eve was created. did these mythical sons of God have kids with the daughters of men in this 1000 years?
Adam was placed in the Garden after the Sabbath Day. How did Adam's offspring after the Garden travel back in time into the Sabbath Day?

The Garden was planted after the Sabbath Day of Adonai, the Lord God. It is right there in Genesis 2.

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sorry Marty
I was responding to another topic.

verse 2 below shows that it wasn’t how God based marriage....not sure what you mean by this.

As I pointed out in my previous posts.....God never condemned the sons of God taking women as wives. Since presenting themselves before God seems to be something of a routine, He would have had plenty of time to bring it up.
Yahweh impregnated Miriam while she was betrothed to Joseph and Yeshua was born and Yahweh did not marry Miriam.
These sons of God took the women as wives....No condemnation in the Bible of this type of marriage. Rules of engagement between divine beings and mortal women are not discussed in the Bible.

Strolling through the Bible with preconceived notions will only result in false beliefs. Case in point. You are not suppose to overwrite the scriptures with your beliefs.....you are suppose to learn from the scriptures....it is a common error.

Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.”.....What do you think this means, when men continued on to live hundreds of years in the Torah?

The post with verse two is that they are married who ever they wanted and only because they were beautiful.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The post with verse two is that they are married who ever they wanted and only because they were beautiful.

LOL LOL How many ways can this go! It is kind of a condensed story. The word only is not there...Would it make it more righteous if they were ugly? Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder....They could have been 400 pounds and looked like Walruses. At one point in history Christianity considered beautiful women of the devil. In this era women were treated like property....men selected them like new cars. Dating or courtship is not a custom.....but all humor aside I do not think it is point.

Hey, like the picture!

Last edited:

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
LOL LOL How many ways can this go! It is kind of a condensed story. The word only is not there...Would it make it more righteous if they were ugly? Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder....They could have been 400 pounds and looked like Walruses. At one point in history Christianity considered beautiful women of the devil. In this era women were treated like property....men selected them like new cars. Dating or courtship is not a custom.....but all humor aside I do not think it is point.

Hey, like the picture!

Thanks that is my beautiful family they are amazing.

I think that text is in the bible for a reason and it is a message and the bible gives us what we need to know as so many other events happened which are not on the bible. Thus there is a message and a purpose. When it states that they married whoever they wanted only because they were beautiful it shows that it was for the wrong reason and not what God planed.

The bible then seams to show us the results of those actions and what happens when we choose our choices over what God has planned for us.

It was a message and a warning to the future generations that is why that event is in the scriptures

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that text is in the bible for a reason

All texts are in the Bible for a reason, that does not mean there is enough information there to come up with an accurate conclusion.
When it states that they married whoever they wanted only because they were beautiful it shows that it was for the wrong reason and not what God planed.

Again the word only is not there and there is no crime against beauty and they did not "take them" for one night stands....they married them...."for the wrong reason" I do not know anyone that marries for ugly. So there is your message.

Last edited:

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All texts are in the Bible for a reason, that does not mean there is enough information there to come up with an accurate conclusion.

Again the word only is not there and there is no crime against beauty and they did not "take them" for one night stands....they married them...."for the wrong reason" I do not know anyone that marries for ugly. So there is your message.
The point is, they TOOK the wives. No engagement, no betrothal, no asking the father for permission. No consideration for her family, they married below station. Why? Their choice of wife was based on what was seen on the outside, not what was seen on the inside.

Why is that important? It explains the type of mental attitude present in a world filled with men, whose hearts were totally evil. The author of Genesis isn't suggesting that God destroyed the world BECAUSE men married below their station. The author of Genesis gives the reader a prima-fascia example of wickedness, i.e. kidnapping a woman from her family, because she was beautiful in order to take her as his wife. This is but one among many examples of the darkness of men's hearts. The author of Genesis gives us the actual reason why he destroyed the earth, "Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. "

Kidnapping a woman for her sexuality is evil.

Reactions: Marty fox

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Adam was placed in the Garden after the Sabbath Day. How did Adam's offspring after the Garden travel back in time into the Sabbath Day?

The Garden was planted after the Sabbath Day of Adonai, the Lord God. It is right there in Genesis 2.

And you said that Day is one thousand human years! You also said that God created whole bunches of men and women. So Adam and Eve were alive for over a thousand years according to your math before they gave birth to cain and abel!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The point is, they TOOK the wives. No engagement, no betrothal, no asking the father for permission. No consideration for her family, they married below station. Why? Their choice of wife was based on what was seen on the outside, not what was seen on the inside.

Oh, you did not see the verse when they asked them out for dinner and drinks?

Their choice of wife was based on what was seen on the outside, not what was seen on the inside.
We cannot see what is on the inside....LOL
You are looking for modern relationships during a period of time that women were considered property and men "took" wives. Dating was not a custom in this time period and men did not go out of their way to choose ugly wives. Men would see women that were attractive to them and go to there father and negotiate a price. He would pay the price and the daughter was his. For that price the father was guaranteeing she was a virgin. If not...the Mosaic Law said that the husband could kill her and leave her body on the father's doorstep. This culture is not like ours....very few malt shops.

And there is the problem, you can memorize the Bible, but if you do not know about the culture and what was going on when these scriptures were written, you can come away with false beliefs...incorrect assumptions. You end up reading modern perceptions into ancient events.

A guy asks someone out and he drives up in a Chevy to take the girl out to the malt shop. They date and they get to know each other for a while and they fall in love and eventually he asks her to marry him and they have a beautiful wedding and live happily ever after. None of this is going to occur in the Bible. This kind of detail is not anywhere in the Bible, much less a story that takes up four verses and the storyline that only includes 1 verse discussing what happened between the sons of God and the women. The only information provided is that they married them. With so little information presented and non of it described in the negative .... They married these women and their offspring where heroes and mighty men....for you to take the negative interpretation from it, means you are predisposed to bring the negative in to the scriptures.

Look at Genesis chapter 5 and count the begats....no dating....no proposals....no indication of ugly women...no indication of love.... just sex. Look at the story of Jacob and Rachel and Leah... He exchanged several years of labor, for Rachael and ended up with Leah too and their hand maidens. But he was in love with Rachel because she was prettier.

Do you think King David knew Bathsheba? Do you think he chose Bathsheba because she was ugly? Now that one you can interpret negatively....a lot more scriptures. King David had her husband, his friend, killed and it was adultery. Then you have Yahweh impregnating Miriam who was betrothal to Joseph but Yahweh did not marry her. That is two transgressions of the Law, according to the Mosaic law that is adultery and there is another Law pertain to having sex with a woman and not taking her as His wife. If you interpreted that negatively ....where would we be? Of course I do not know how that event pertains to the Mosaic Law.

You can add anything you want....in your head....but it is not in the scriptures at all.

And again I say that biblically there is not enough information to know exactly what that story is about.

The information presented defines more about what it is not, than what it is about.

Last edited:

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sons and daughters of God are human beings, the teaching of the angel/human intercourse creating Nephilim is a Koininia House "Chuck Missler" false teaching

The human giants are a interesting race there are at least a couple different groups mentioned in the bible the Nephilim, the Anaqim are some and a few not in canan possibly not sure on these others, the Rephaim, Emim, Zamzumim/Zuzim, Gibborim,

Reactions: Truth7t7

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you said that Day is one thousand human years! You also said that God created whole bunches of men and women. So Adam and Eve were alive for over a thousand years according to your math before they gave birth to cain and abel!
No. You are missing the point. Adam was named Adam, after the Day of The Lord. The Garden/Paradise was planted after the Day of the Lord. Adam was placed in the Garden and named all the animals after the Day of the Lord. Eve was taken out of Adam after the Day of the Lord. See that word after in all those sentences? Eve was not created on the 6th day.

Yes, God created the sons of God on the 6th day and they were giants compared to Adam and Eve's dead corruptible flesh. Scripture claimed they were giants before. There was 1,000 years before the Garden of Eden narrative and sin more than likely happened 30 years after Adam was placed in the Garden. Those "days of old" were the 1,000 years before death and sin entered the world.

Satan nor the angels rebelled until after 1,000 years. This time will be the same on earth for the reign of Jesus on earth. No Satan, no sin, and no death and decay because of sin.

The 4th Commandment said to Remember the Sabbath Day. No one remembers nor teaches that the Sabbath was a Day with the Lord, a Lord's Day. Yet that is what Genesis 2:4 says:

"These are the generations (plural) of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made (day is singular) the earth and the heavens,"

There were many generations in this Day of creation. There will be many generations in the soon coming Day of the Lord. God did not just create this reality for sin to reign. Yes 6,000 years is more than 2,000, but God let there be perfection for the first 1,000 and once again for the last 1,000.

But stop saying Adam was with Eve during this Day of the Lord. God planted the Garden after the Sabbath Day. Genesis 2:5 says that no plants sprang up wild nor domestic for 1,000 years. No plants died, no seeds started any new plants nor trees. All living things consumed 100% of the seeds, herbs, and fruit. There was nothing that was left to create new plants.

"And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground."

It was not until after the Sabbath that God planted a Garden. Plant life was only created on Day 3, Genesis 1:11-13.

Genesis 1:29-30 explains what all life consumed:

"And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so."

It is Scripture that states nothing died. It is Scripture that claims no new plants, grass, herbs, nor trees ever sprang up, so no seeds ever entered the ground and produced any new plant. That was from day 3, until 1,000 years later when God returned and planted the Garden of Eden. Then and only then did God place Adam in that Garden. Some time later, many years, 5?, did God introduce Eve instead of a single human Adam having offspring by himself.

Now you can speculate all you want what this verse means:

"Male and female created He them."

But the "them" was not Adam and Eve. The "them" were the sons of God. They were either many males and many females, or it really did not matter and they could multiply more humans somehow, that no longer is applicable to Adam's dead corruptible flesh. The sons of God multiplied and filled the earth except the area where God created Paradise after the day of rest, when he put one son of God in the Garden and started a relationship with him in that Paradise on earth.

Later God saw that one human alone was obviously lonely. God then created Eve from Adam. Then they were man and wife. Obviously after sin and several generations of sinners, the sons of God had relationships with both single gender humans who were born with Adam's corruptible dead flesh and sin natures. This did not make Adam's dead corruptible flesh better, but it created more sinful corruptible humans with a genetically more corrupted image of God. These offspring could not deal with this sin problem through God, they just let themselves get more comfortable with wickedness.

Saying these were angels who could not procreate at all, is plainly wrong. The sons of God were humans who could procreate somehow, that really does not matter any more. It is very plausible that Cain and Abel were born before Adam and Eve disobeyed God. But for some reason angels doing impossible physical acts is more plausible than God creating multiple sons of God. More plausible than a Lord's Day of 1,000 years, and more plausible than Adam and Eve having offspring even before Adam's disobedience.

Angels having sex is not impossible because it is merely contrary to nature. It is as impossible as a tree having human offspring. Trees cannot procreate with humans, and neither can angels.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The human giants are a interesting race there are at least a couple different groups mentioned in the bible the Nephilim, the Anaqim are some and a few not in canan possibly not sure on these others, the Rephaim, Emim, Zamzumim/Zuzim, Gibborim,
I agree, no secret as the others proclaim, the "human" giants are throughout the old testament

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have been clearly shown the truth, why do you resist?