Who are the sons of God and the daughters of men

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In other words, you: only read human theology, because the Bible alone cannot help you.

i only accept God's words and i reject human theology.

Matt 4:4 - "Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the Mouth of God."

Jude 1:6 - But I want to remind you, though you once knew this, that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.
And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day; as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

1 Peter 2:4-6
For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment; and did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, one of eight people, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly; and turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes, condemned them to destruction, making them an example to those who afterward would live ungodly;

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sons of God=Angels
Daughters of men=Those they found sexually appealing and
"knew",sexually.
I can somewhat receive this, minus the sex bit. Apostle Paul was a son of God.

First you have to understand what a son of God is. Paul said that when it pleased God to separate him from his mothers womb(born from above) he conferred not with flesh and blood, but went into the desert of Arabia.

There he was taught of Christ away from the influence of men. The Gospel that Paul was given came directly from Christ.

Yes Paul was an Angel, a messenger of God! I believe many are conflating many different understandings of scripture due to what men have taught them.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

First you have to understand what a son of God is. Paul said that when it pleased God to separate him from his mothers womb(born from above) he conferred not with flesh and blood, but went into the desert of Arabia.

There he was taught of Christ away from the influence of men. The Gospel that Paul was given came directly from Christ.

Yes Paul was an Angel, a messenger of God! I believe many are conflating many different understandings of scripture due to what men have taught them.
"When man began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were attractive. And they took as their wives any they chose. Then the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not abide in[a] man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown." (Genesis 6:1–4)

Though centuries of rabbinical and church tradition would say otherwise, the audience to whom the text was intended would have understood the “sons of God” to be the members of the divine assembly mentioned throughout the literature of the ancient Near East, including the Bible (see Job 6:1; Job 38:7; Psalm 29:1; Psalm 82). In the biblical texts, the “sons of God” are usually described as lesser heavenly beings in the service of the Most High. In the texts of the cultures that surrounded Israel, like the Canaanite literature found at Ugarit, the “sons of God” similarly appear as divine beings in the service to the king of the gods, El, and his queen, Asherah. They include the likes of Baal, Anath, Astarte, Yam, and Mot. The audience of Genesis would have definitely understood these so-called “fallen ones” to be the offspring of celestial beings and human women. (Coincidentally the root of the word Nephilimis used elsewhere for miscarriages and other strange births. Exodus 21:22)

Reactions: David in NJ

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Review the scriptures from Post 963

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"When man began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were attractive. And they took as their wives any they chose. Then the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not abide in[a] man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown." (Genesis 6:1–4)

Though centuries of rabbinical and church tradition would say otherwise, the audience to whom the text was intended would have understood the “sons of God” to be the members of the divine assembly mentioned throughout the literature of the ancient Near East, including the Bible (see Job 6:1; Job 38:7; Psalm 29:1; Psalm 82). In the biblical texts, the “sons of God” are usually described as lesser heavenly beings in the service of the Most High. In the texts of the cultures that surrounded Israel, like the Canaanite literature found at Ugarit, the “sons of God” similarly appear as divine beings in the service to the king of the gods, El, and his queen, Asherah. They include the likes of Baal, Anath, Astarte, Yam, and Mot. The audience of Genesis would have definitely understood these so-called “fallen ones” to be the offspring of celestial beings and human women. (Coincidentally the root of the word Nephilimis used elsewhere for miscarriages and other strange births. Exodus 21:22)
Jesus was the first Son of God. What you have given here is only a doctrine of men. You need to see what it is to be a man in the body of Christ. Paul writes about it in the epistles.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Review the scriptures from Post 963
Yeah, I read it already. Israel is spiritually called Sodom and Egypt in revelation. The woman that fled into the wilderness was chased there by a flood that came from the dragons mouth. It’s allegorical. God didn’t flood the earth and murder all the inhabitants of the of Noah’s age. It’s not His character.

• Wow
Reactions: David in NJ

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was the first Son of God. What you have given here is only a doctrine of men. You need to see what it is to be a man in the body of Christ. Paul writes about it in the epistles.
You perhaps need not dismiss parts of the Bible that don't comport with your preferred narrative .

There are far too many here who do that very thing.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sons and daughters of God are human beings, the teaching of the angel/human intercourse creating Nephilim is a Koininia House "Chuck Missler" false teaching
I agree. And the word Nephilim doesn't even appear in my translation. It just references great men.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. And the word Nephilim doesn't even appear in my translation. It just references great men.
The giants is a reference to tyrants, and it’s actually the tyrants that we’re posturing themselves in the first century. It’s all about Jesus. If you can receive the fact that God told this allegorical story to Moses nearly 1500 years before it took place.

Reactions: dev553344

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 6:4 NIV)
The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

Numbers 13:33 ESV)
And there we saw the Nephilim (the sons of Anak, who come from the Nephilim), and we seemed to ourselves like grasshoppers, and so we seemed to them.”

ESV) Genesis 6:1-22
When man began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were attractive. And they took as their wives any they chose. Then the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown. The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

And there we saw the Nephilim (the sons of Anak, who come from the Nephilim), and we seemed to ourselves like grasshoppers, and so we seemed to them.”

When man began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were attractive. And they took as their wives any they chose. Then the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown. The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
Hmmm, I don't go with that. I stick to the NKJV:

4 There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.

You have to read the whole context too. Even in your translation it explains what that "nephilim" mis-translated word means: "Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown."

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I read it already. Israel is spiritually called Sodom and Egypt in revelation. The woman that fled into the wilderness was chased there by a flood that came from the dragons mouth. It’s allegorical. God didn’t flood the earth and murder all the inhabitants of the of Noah’s age. It’s not His character.

Do you know that there are fossilized sea shells and fish at the tops of very high mountains.

Reactions: dev553344

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm, I don't go with that. I stick to the NKJV:

4 There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.

You have to read the whole context too. Even in your translation it explains what that "nephilim" mis-translated word means: "Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown."
That doesn't change what the first and earlier translations say about Nephilim.

Rather,the translation you prefer masks Nephilim. Which doesn't change the fact Nephilim are in scripture.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There were no sons of God prior to Jesus.