Who be the “elect”?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
thats the short catechism. Thats what the religious folk used to memorize back in the day. You should see the longer catechism or even the WCF itself. Those are reallllly long.
I had to go to a few classes to join my church, back when I was a kid. I think maybe we had to answer a few questions in a written exercise.

Ronald D Milam

Jan 12, 2022
Clanton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
none of that is true. 1. If God wants anyone saved, He has to call them. 2. Jesus’ death only applies to the elect, those chosen by the Father. 3. The Holy Spirit, who you never mentioned, works to transform/ sanctify us to be more like Jesus, which no one could do without Him.
The doctrine of the Trinity is Biblical, and it explains the purpose of the 3 persons of the Godhead and how they work together for our salvation.
He does call us all, you just do not understand that.

Jesus death applies unto us all, everyone has to accept that sacrifice however and most don't.

God is the holy Spirit, God is Jesus, but the Father has the fullness of the Glory.

Ronald D Milam

Jan 12, 2022
Clanton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not unsure, I am QUITE sure that you have no idea what Scripture actually says and you twist it to your own human understanding.
Sure, I have only been called to preach since 1986.

You are assigning unto God that which is not Godly. If you think God created some people and He decided they were going to hell you do not even understand God sir. That is Satan whispering to you. You have been forewarned on this. God will not forget when people besmirch His holy name, you may indeed squeak into heaven by faith alone, but we will also be rewarded. Let a man study to show himself approved. This is basic stuff brother.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure, I have only been called to preach since 1986.

You are assigning unto God that which is not Godly. If you think God created some people and He decided they were going to hell you do not even understand God sir. That is Satan whispering to you. You have been forewarned on this. God will not forget when people besmirch His holy name, you may indeed squeak into heaven by faith alone, but we will also be rewarded. Let a man study to shoe himself approved. This is basic stuff brother.
That's not satan. That is what SCRIPTURE states. You are the one denying Scripture. What have I said that is ungodly according to SCRIPTURE and not your understanding Ron?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The elect are MUCH MORE than the apostles. And Reformed as in coming away from the heretical Roman Catholic Church and adhering to the Scriptures.

Why does it need be in scripture?
Is the word of God limited to scripture?
Without the teaching authority of Christ and his how can you know what to believe or what is scripture?

Is dan 13 scripture?
The great faith story of Susana

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The elect are MUCH MORE than the apostles. And Reformed as in coming away from the heretical Roman Catholic Church and adhering to the Scriptures.

truth and the church are revealed and founded by Christ, how can they be reformed? Truth is immutable
Church is eternal

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why does it need be in scripture?
Is the word of God limited to scripture?
Without the teaching authority of Christ and his how can you know what to believe or what is scripture?

Is dan 13 scripture?
The great faith story of Susana
Yes, special revelation does not happen anymore, the book has been closed, so yes, it MUST be in Scripture.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i think you should re-read the last sentence in your comment. If He already knows, and He does, how could free will ever be the result?? When i think of free will, i think of us actually having a choice, and God not knowing the outcome. Paul said no one seeks God on their own, this is due to our evil hearts. Keyword is no one. So if some do go on to get saved, then God must choose who to draw to Him, He has to pick.

Hello LLS!
God tells us in Matthew 6:8, "Your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

God knows because He sees the end from the beginning, He already knows our hearts and minds and what we will choose. Who then, can He not "Make all things work together for the good, for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose."? Is not His purpose to listen to and believe on/in His Son?

I see God looking at a gigantic scroll of time as it happened from the garden to the Day of The Lord, opened all the way. Since we are living in "time", we were not even alive yet when He already knew what choice we were going to make on any given day, moment, second of a particular "time" in our (yet to be, lives) It seems so clear in my own mind as to "how" He can easily put all the pieces together for the good of those who love Him; He's already there and already knows, so He can use anybody's choices to our betterment.
Yes, God IS sovereign and Him giving free will does nothing to belittle that one bit, that I can see.
Even if He did not "elect" me, even if you are correct, I will not stop believing that He loves us, that He died for the sins of the world, and no, does not mean Universalism, a "gift" HAS to be accepted in order to benefit the person. Maybe He DOES "hate" some...but I will simply pretend He loves us, even when my mind can at times say differently about myself...wouldn't want to live if I thought He did not love me.
Our God is just, AND He loves, maybe even you!! :D :D :D j/k...I think He does :)
Love you bro!

Reactions: Lifelong_sinner

Ronald D Milam

Jan 12, 2022
Clanton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hint!

Matthew 22:14
For many are called, but few are chosen.

it refers to the apostles
Maybe maybe not, it may just refer to ALL MEN are called. But Few are chosen when taken to the Judgment Throne, that is a possibility, if it were just the Disciples I don't think that fits because I think Jesus foreknew who to call and probably only called 12, and Paul was the replacement for Judas.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello LLS!
God tells us in Matthew 6:8, "Your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

God knows because He sees the end from the beginning, He already knows our hearts and minds and what we will choose. Who then, can He not "Make all things work together for the good, for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose."? Is not His purpose to listen to and believe on/in His Son?

I see God looking at a gigantic scroll of time as it happened from the garden to the Day of The Lord, opened all the way. Since we are living in "time", we were not even alive yet when He already knew what choice we were going to make on any given day, moment, second of a particular "time" in our (yet to be, lives) It seems so clear in my own mind as to "how" He can easily put all the pieces together for the good of those who love Him; He's already there and already knows, so He can use anybody's choices to our betterment.
Yes, God IS sovereign and Him giving free will does nothing to belittle that one bit, that I can see.
Even if He did not "elect" me, even if you are correct, I will not stop believing that He loves us, that He died for the sins of the world, and no, does not mean Universalism, a "gift" HAS to be accepted in order to benefit the person. Maybe He DOES "hate" some...but I will simply pretend He loves us, even when my mind can at times say differently about myself...wouldn't want to live if I thought He did not love me.
Our God is just, AND He loves, maybe even you!! :D :D :D j/k...I think He does :)
Love you bro!
With respect to salvation, Scripture says foreknew, not foresaw. Those are not the same thing.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With respect to salvation, Scripture says foreknew, not foresaw. Those are not the same thing.

Same thing far as I can tell.

fore·know
/fôrˈnō/verb
LITERARY
past tense: foreknew

1. be aware of (an event) before it happens.
    "he foreknows his death like a saint"
fore·see
/fôrˈsē/
verb

past tense: foresaw
  1. be aware of beforehand; predict.
    "we did not foresee any difficulties"

Reactions: Truth7t7

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, special revelation does not happen anymore, the book has been closed, so yes, it MUST be in Scripture.
There are many that have and would disagree, Ellen G. White for one, with a supposed 2,000 dreams and visions claimed to be from God?