Who destroyed the mental health system of the USA?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I found this article which shows that republicans put the effort for mental health support to the states which ended most support for the mentally disabled (Pres. Reagan), while democrats tried to implement a mental health system prior (Pres. Carter).

I was looking for this as it is key to the destruction of the care for the mentally ill in our country. We now have mentally ill homeless people running around my town that are in and out of jail instead of a good mental institution.

My sister who is mentally ill, luckily got into the system after a few mental hospital stays and now is being cared for in an adult home. But it is a tough life for her as she suffers abuse at times from the other residents due to lack of proper coordinated care.

Sad day for republicans. I'm republican and was democrat, and I'm still unsure what to think. But this act is an eye opener: Mental Health Systems Act of 1980 - Wikipedia

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The issue of mental health is a serious one and I don't think it can be blamed on government... I live in Canada... where the health system is accessible to everyone equally... the problem in my opinion with mental health issues... is lack of compliance... and/or refusal to take medication and/or receive proper therapy.

I know of a case here personally where because the person is legal age... his parents no longer have the power to help him... He has been diagnosed with severe schizophrenia... refuses to take him medication and he is often in jail due to violence... they will admit him in a mental hospital under involuntary admission for 72 hours.... He is free to walk after that... and he always does. It is heartbreaking for his parents and his grand parents. Often times... people with mental illness also have substance abuse issues.... add to that poverty and homelessness... and you have a huge MESS.... Mental health is a COMPLEX problem.

Reactions: dev553344

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The issue of mental health is a serious one and I don't think it can be blamed on government... I live in Canada... where the health system is accessible to everyone equally... the problem in my opinion with mental health issues... is lack of compliance... and/or refusal to take medication.

I know of a case here personally where because the person is legal age... his parents no longer have the power to help him... He has been diagnosed with severe schizophrenia... refuses to take him medication and he is often in jail due to violence... they will admit him in a mental hospital under involuntary admission for 72 hours.... He is free to walk after that... and he always does. It is heartbreaking for his parents and his grand parents. Often times... people with mental illness also have substance abuse issues.... add to that poverty and homelessness... and you have a huge MESS.... Mental health is a COMPLEX problem.

Yes, over here too there is a massive issue with mental health, and during lockdown supports systems have crumbled away and made things even worse. I don't understand why there seems to be so many more people suffering from mental health problems but the numbers seem to be growing and the support for them just isn't enough.

Reactions: dev553344 and Addy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The issue of mental health is a serious one and I don't think it can be blamed on government... I live in Canada... where the health system is accessible to everyone equally... the problem in my opinion with mental health issues... is lack of compliance... and/or refusal to take medication and/or receive proper therapy.

Allow me to add some education here. Typically what happens with mentally ill people, before the act was repealed, is that if there was a mental health issue raised by police, they would be brought to one of the institutions for evaluation. If they would not take their medication they were not released. If stable on meds they could be released, if not they remained at the facility. If they were found off their meds after release they were brought back to the facility. And re-evaluated.

What you're explaining is exactly what the repeal caused, incarceration of mentally disabled and lack of care that leads to them not taking their meds (they need to be forced to take their meds, sometimes forever), instead of proper care.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Allow me to add some education here. Typically what happens with mentally ill people, before the act was repealed, is that if there was a mental health issue raised by police, they would be brought to one of the institutions for evaluation. If they would not take their medication they were not released. If stable on meds they could be released, if not they remained at the facility. If they were found off their meds after release they were brought back to the facility.

What you're explaining is exactly what the repeal caused, incarceration of mentally disabled and lack of care that leads to them not taking their meds (they need to be forced to take their meds, sometimes forever), instead of proper care.
Thank you for the information.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, over here too there is a massive issue with mental health, and during lockdown supports systems have crumbled away and made things even worse. I don't understand why there seems to be so many more people suffering from mental health problems but the numbers seem to be growing and the support for them just isn't enough.

Yes drugs can lead to dopamine brain issues which can cause mental health issues, also mental health issues like dopamine low levels can also lead to drug use to alleviate the symptoms. The problem is that without being forced to take meds for prolonged periods, sometimes years, the individual will not recover from low levels of dopamine and this can cause severe emotional and mental pain. When alleviated a person might begin to see the difference between medicated self and non-medicated self, but this process can, like I said, take years. Without mental institutions they never get that level of care and long term medications.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The reason I know something about the system is that I am a patient. Without taking my meds for long periods (years) I was not able to see the difference it made in my life. But I have what is called by psychiatrist, insight into my illness. My sister also has mental health issues and needs to be forced to take her meds. They have to physically observe her taking meds and make sure she swallows her meds. Even on meds she is still paranoid and thinks people are poisoning her, which from what I have been told is a typical paranoia of the mentally disabled, they feel poisoned (mental and emotional, physical unwellness).

Again the institutions that were in place made sure they were taking their meds and provided long term care for those individuals. There is nothing in place for that now, except like @Adoration pointed out a 72 hour stay and release. My sister is lucky and hasn't left her adult home yet, but it's been close and she is dangerously at risk.

A story: one time I saw aliens and was paranoid while not taking my meds, my father had me called in and I was brought to a facility to evaluate me, when I got there the mania had left and I appeared normal, they immediately released me. Looking back, now that I've been on meds for about 5 years, they should have held me there and evaluated me longer.

What do you all think could be done to alleviate this problem in our countries. I'm interested in your ideas! Cheers.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Upon hearing your testimony... I realize that we do not have ANYTHING remotely close to what you are talking about... We have hospitals with psychiatric units in them... we have entire buildings dedicated to the field of psychiatry called psychiatric hospitals... we have group homes for developmentally challenged people... but no programs to ensure that people take their meds... that only happens if and when people are in hospital..... once they are out... they are on their own... so I guess we are lacking in aftercare support. There is no way to police the public with regards to taking medication... and here in Canada... after the age of 18... a child becomes an adult.. and unless the person suffering with mental health is a danger to self.. or others... they are left alone.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Upon hearing your testimony... I realize that we do not have ANYTHING remotely close to what you are talking about... We have hospitals with psychiatric units in them... we have entire buildings dedicated to the field of psychiatry called psychiatric hospitals... we have group homes for developmentally challenged people... but no programs to ensure that people take their meds... that only happens if and when people are in hospital..... once they are out... they are on their own... so I guess we are lacking in aftercare support. There is no way to police the public with regards to taking medication... and here in Canada... after the age of 18... a child becomes an adult.. and unless the person suffering with mental health is a danger to self.. or others... they are left alone.
I think they can only be institutionalized now if they are a danger to themselves or others, and it can be evaluated that way. But that is strange because any mentally ill person is at danger. but now they just release them instead of long term care. Sorry to hear your country has nothing in place either. The USA had that once, but apparently after WWII there was a lack of public support for this type of care. At least that's what I read.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think they can only be institutionalized now if they are a danger to themselves or others, and it can be evaluated that way. But that is strange because any mentally ill person is at danger. but now they just release them instead of long term care. Sorry to hear your country has nothing in place either. The USA had that once, but apparently after WWII there was a lack of public support for this type of care. At least that's what I read.
You have given me something to think about... My best friend is the grandmother of the young man I shared about... and it is the most horrific situation.... with NO help available unless he breaks the laws and gets violent. There are so many who fall through the cracks.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've also noticed, along a similar concept. The lockdowns and lack of care for the failing homes that have no way to survive. The gov has given out now $1800 in 9 months of lockdowns. I can't tell if it's a democrat or republican based problem. I suppose both would blame the other side.

The funny (odd) thing about this is that being partially disabled and new to a new medication, I have been unable to work, and as a result, the state determined I was disabled, but the SSI court would not find I was disabled despite "their" expert witness testimony. Long story short, I've had to survive on $200 a month. And learned how to do so with the help of family support. That's about as much as the USA population has received since the lock downs. I really feel sorry for them and their families :(

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The mental health institutions were radically changed during the Nixon administration.
Involuntary residence was placed on anyone with mental health issues...and it was somewhat abused...but the thing the Government cared about was that it was paid for by the Government.

IOW if you had an adult child that became bipolar after puberty you could have them committed involuntarily and the government would pay the hospital bill.

At the same time as they were being released narcotics became really popular and widely used.
There was a huge heroin problem in America...as well as the hypersexuality during the "free love" generation of hippies.

Bipolar is a genetic disorder...one that makes instant addicts when introduced to narcotics and opioids.
So that was the scene in the late 60's and Early 70's in America which has evolved into the mess we have now.

Now... bipolar people are not imbeciles by any stretch of the imagination. They have mood stabilization issues from the overabundance of receptors. They can be quite rational and brilliant.
So many of these people with mental health issues have entered into college and learned psychology and psychiatry and then set up shop as a learned professional...that habit is still going on today.

But the Blind cannot lead the Blind.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...while democrats tried to implement a mental health system prior...
Assuming this is true, any good Democrats might have done was already canceled by their support and funding of massive abortions (murder) for a very long time. The have funded Planned Parenthood with probably billions of dollars.

Also, today, even medical and scientific journals are publishing propaganda instead of simply report facts. So take all reports with a grain of salt. Particularly anything coming from CDC, NIH, or FDA.

Having said that, absolutely no one in at any government level has given serious attention to the welfare of (1) mental health patients or (2) veterans. That in itself is criminal.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The mental health institutions were radically changed during the Nixon administration.
Involuntary residence was placed on anyone with mental health issues...and it was somewhat abused...but the thing the Government cared about was that it was paid for by the Government.

IOW if you had an adult child that became bipolar after puberty you could have them committed involuntarily and the government would pay the hospital bill.

At the same time as they were being released narcotics became really popular and widely used.
There was a huge heroin problem in America...as well as the hypersexuality during the "free love" generation of hippies.

Bipolar is a genetic disorder...one that makes instant addicts when introduced to narcotics and opioids.
So that was the scene in the late 60's and Early 70's in America which has evolved into the mess we have now.

Now... bipolar people are not imbeciles by any stretch of the imagination. They have mood stabilization issues from the overabundance of receptors. They can be quite rational and brilliant.
So many of these people with mental health issues have entered into college and learned psychology and psychiatry and then set up shop as a learned professional...that habit is still going on today.

But the Blind cannot lead the Blind.
I had a schizophrenic counselor, he lasted all of 3 months. He had tried for disability but denied.

Reactions: JohnDB

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok...but what kind of bread are you?
Take a test and find out has become so popular because people are having so many mental health issues they don't know who they are anymore.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Assuming this is true, any good Democrats might have done was already canceled by their support and funding of massive abortions (murder) for a very long time. The have funded Planned Parenthood with probably billions of dollars.

Also, today, even medical and scientific journals are publishing propaganda instead of simply report facts. So take all reports with a grain of salt. Particularly anything coming from CDC, NIH, or FDA.

Having said that, absolutely no one in at any government level has given serious attention to the welfare of (1) mental health patients or (2) veterans. That in itself is criminal.
I agree with most of that, but I'm not a conspiracy theory person.

Reactions: Addy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok...but what kind of bread are you?
Take a test and find out has become so popular because people are having so many mental health issues they don't know who they are anymore.
I think most people don't, do you have any sources for that info?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ummmm...no...I lived it. By that I mean I have witnessed this during my lifetime.
Well it sounds like you've known people being told they are ill in some way so that con artists can make money off of them. That isn't psychiatry though. It's probably similar to why we have so many church denominations, money seekers, saying your church has a problem. And many people buy the snake oil. It's not uncommon really. But again, it isn't real psychiatry.